One City

One City

Coldplay ‘s Chris Martin to Teach Jay-Z Yoga?

posted by Patrick Groneman

jay-z-slaps-beyonces-butt.jpgJay-Z ‘s got ’99 problems’ but a stanky yoga mat ain’t one. Jay’s been opening for the UK based band Coldplay the past month and has noticed the flexible on stage presence of Lead Singer Chris Martin:

‘Chris hasn’t tried to get me to do yoga yet but I am close to doing
it. I’m envious of what he can do on stage. Watching him is amazing, he
can really move. I want to be able to move like that, get my leg behind
my ear, things like that.’

via Undercover

Your Name

posted September 22, 2009 at 8:52 pm

Now,..if only Kanye West would take some etiquete lessons…..

Alex Milsom

posted September 23, 2009 at 12:31 am

I am sorry, but what does Kanye have to do with the above article? I’m just wondering if you are equating Jay-Z taking yoga with Kanye taking “etiquete” lessons, as you call them.
If you are equating these two things – and there is no other conclusion I can draw from your post – that is really messed up and is very racist of you.

Your Name

posted September 23, 2009 at 7:43 am

Wow. While I agree that the anonymous commenter’s remark above was silly and out of place, I think that your response is a little out of proportion, Alex. I don’t know the person who made the comment, and have no way of knowing what he or she was thinking, but I think your assumption that it was made simply because both performers are black is a stretch. (And correct me if that wasn’t your assumption. I’m at a loss for any other explanation of what makes it racist). Anyone who knows anything about hip hop knows that Kanye West is Jay-Z’s protogé. And the photo above shows Jay-Z with Beyonce, who was central to Kanye’s outburst at the VMAs last week. Couple that with the fact that Kanye’s behavior was the subjet of a populart blog post here last week, and I can certainly see why someone would connect the two. Again, I agree it’s juvenile. But racist? Hardly.

Jaime McLeod

posted September 23, 2009 at 7:48 am

The post diectly above this one should have been included my name. I typed it into the box, but I think it went away when I had to refresh my capcha.

Ethan Nichtern

posted September 23, 2009 at 9:18 am

@Alex: That comment feels out of place. I am guessing that since
a) we ran a post about Kanye last week, and B) the fact that Kanye and Jay-Z collaborate constantly, those things were on the commenters mind in mentioning Kanye.
Just guessing.

Ethan Nichtern

posted September 23, 2009 at 9:20 am

I hope Jay-Z studies all 8 limbs of yoga, especially yamas and niyamas.
Maybe that will change his desire to write lyrics such as the following
“I’m not a businessman.
I’m a business, man.
Let me handle my business
Damn!”

Alex Milsom

posted September 23, 2009 at 10:41 am

Well I still think the first comment was thoughtless. You can spin it in whatever way you want, but it really does read as racist. It seems like the person was thinking, “While these hip hop guys are out getting lessons on how to be more ___ …”
Does NO one agree?
@Ethan: HEY BUD!

Damaris

posted September 23, 2009 at 11:27 am

@ Alex it can read either way.
Kanye does need some etiquette lessons.
Yoga is not a white thing.

White New Era Trendsetter

posted February 18, 2011 at 2:20 pm

Leave it to Jay Z to make yoga cool. I bet he’s better at it than Beyonce. I wonder if it does help his dancing moves?