One City

One City

Health Care Reform: An Animated Video That Breaks It Down

posted by Ethan Nichtern

Belowis a simple and awesome animation by Andy Lubershane  about Health Care Reform. The main thing it does, which progressives have so far failed to do in any coherent message, is explain why certain services (police, fire, health care, etc) make total sense to be government-run, and why health insurance is without a doubt one of those things. It also gets to the heart of the false belief that conservatives have hammered into Americans for decades: that representative, democratic government is somehow evil. Government is US. It is nobody other than us. Until we address that false belief that government is somehow an evil big brother, large corporate interests are going to dominate all debates with better funding and better messenging, plain and simple. Even if Medicare recipients are WAY happier with their care than those on private insurance, until we dispell the myth that government – our shared entity – is bad, we aren’t going to make much progress.

From an interdependent perspective, government is simply a group ofpeople getting together to pool resources and share responsibilities.Sometimes this makes sense, sometimes it doesn’t. When does it makesense to have the government do something? When a service is A) sobasic to our quality of life that profit-motive should be taken out ofthe equation and B) when a service is so expensive to the individualthat we need to pool our resources to provide that service to everyone.Just like police and water treatment, it’s clear Health Caresatisfies these two conditions. Every other capitalist country with a non-evil government thinks so. We need a public option. For real. Callyour congressperson and forward this video, especially to anyone whoclaims government is evil.

Desiree

posted August 27, 2009 at 11:55 am

BRAVO!!!!!Everyone should pass this on!!!I couldn’t say it better myself!!!

ellen9

posted August 27, 2009 at 5:10 pm

sweet!

elljay

posted August 27, 2009 at 7:36 pm

oh…so that’s how it works….thanks ;)

Anan E. Maus

posted August 28, 2009 at 6:43 am

Thank you for this sane treatment of what should be abundantly apparent to every spiritual person: healing the sick is a spiritual duty.
Truth is simple.
Complexity just usually means obfuscation.
And here is a true story. A monastic brother of mine got involved in helping African-Americans with AIDS. A friend of his just died recently. He died of complications from AIDS. Why? Because the insurance company refused to keep funding his medication. Unsophisticated and disenfranchised, he could not get his medication. And now he is dead.
HMO’s have killed many people. The system in place is evil.
gassho

Lara

posted August 28, 2009 at 11:56 am

A society of sheep begets a government of wolves. Great visual explanation. Thanks for sharing!

Your Name

posted August 28, 2009 at 3:29 pm

This cartoon is cute. But, does it make a bigger assumption? Does this reasoning suggest that the Government also should provide food, shelter, clothing, and transportation to everyone too? Don’t these meet the first two assumptions made in the cartoon?
The Government now owns a car company. Can we expect that they will soon determine what kind of car is best for Americans and require us to buy only that car?
Could it be that if people only used health insurance only for true emergencies and catastrophic illnesses this wouldn’t even be an issue? Today people use health insurance to pay for regular check ups and medications. Shouldn’t those be paid for out of pocket? Do we expect our homeowners insurance to repaint our house every few years? It just seems that health insurance would be more useful if it was used as insurance is intended to be used. Right now it is used like grocery insurance would be used if it existed. Isn’t insurance meant to offset a possible loss, not a guaranteed expense?
This is all rhetorical, philosophical. I’m not trying to start an argument. I just see this a bit differently.

Your Name

posted August 28, 2009 at 4:58 pm

It sounds good; but, lets not forget what the government has done to other programs such as Social Security. With private insurance we sometimes have choices as to deductibles, co-pays, etc. With government programs, they control all. I, as a tax paying citizen, really don’t want those who don’t desire to work to get free health care on my dollar. Charity is one thing; society leeches are another. We need to stop thinking that the government owes us everything. I believe that the late President John F Kennedy said it best…”ask not what your country can do for you – ask what you can do for your country”.
And remember, he was a Democrat.

Linda Faye

posted August 28, 2009 at 5:09 pm

Health insurance used only in an emergency sounds like a great idea.
Hopefully the cost of the insurance would not depend on the area you live in say,like car insurance. If you live in a city where accidents happen more often your car insurance cost more than if you live in a city where there are less. What if the insurance companies adjust your rate according to the number of accidents,assault crimes and murders in the city you live in?
I wouldn’t mind paying out of pocket for other expenses if doctor visits were $25 instead of $250 or if medications were $5-$20 a bottle. If only things were that senseable.

saddened

posted August 28, 2009 at 6:07 pm

Wow- I subscribe to this email to bring calmness to my day – I am applalled at this blatent one-sided politcal opinion being posted here.

Ethan Nichtern

posted August 28, 2009 at 6:13 pm

@saddened: one of the things we do at this blog is discuss politics from an interdependent perspective. Many of our articles do not discuss politics, some do.
In my opinion, it’d be more interesting to hear exactly what you disagree with in the video. Then we could, you know, have a conversation. That’s what democracy, interdependence and buddhism are all about – open dialogue.
Calmness comes and goes.
And calmness is really hard to find without good healthcare for everyone :~)

Informed

posted August 28, 2009 at 7:02 pm

I agree with “Saddened!” For a minute, I thought I was reading something from Fox Noise instead of a Buddhist Blog.
Doesn’t Universal, Socialized, Government Run Health Insurance fall under Right Intention, Right Action, and/or Right Mindfulness???
The cartoon is cute and it does the best job I’ve seen in representing the issue. One side believes and does a great job expressing their dissenting view that “Socialized” Health Insurance is bad and scary.
“Does this reasoning suggest that the Government also should provide food, shelter, clothing, and transportation to everyone too?”
It does provide food in the form of Public Aid (e.g., food stamps, WIC) and transportation in the form of Public transportation. Shelter and clothing are the only item on your list government does not cover to my knowledge. Maybe all the homeless people are Buddhist on a spiritual journey without a need to receive any Right Action from a fellow human being. Hmmm, maybe next time I talk to a homeless child I’ll pose the question to them. Should the government provide food and shelter for America’s homeless children?
In my opinion when someone invokes terms like social leeches they have a monocultural view of the world and it is best to leave them in their antiquated bubble.

dobefan

posted August 28, 2009 at 9:12 pm

I don’t live in an antiquated bubble as one individual might suggest. I live in the real world, and I suggest that Informed step out of his perfect world bubble and see the light. That my friend is real enlightenment!

Laura

posted September 1, 2009 at 12:17 pm

I have live 43 of my 45 years in America and 2 of them in Socialized Democracies (just like us but with free healthcare). Life here looks very different from the outside looking in. It is even more so when collect empirical facts: according to the CIA World Fact Book, most westernized socialized democracies like England, Canada, Sweden, and so forth have longer life expectancies and lower infant mortality rates than we do. Bottom line, its effectiveness is proven – now it is just a compassion issue. Is profit right motive or longer healthier lives?