One City

One City

Podcast: “Understanding Karma” with Crystal Gandrud

posted by Patrick Groneman

karmapuffs.jpgThis week on the ID Project Podcast Crystal Gandrud takes us past many of the common misconceptions surrounding the Buddhist Definition of Karma to a deeper understanding that reveals important connections between the concepts of interdependence, non-self and Karma.

You can download Understanding Karma here (right click and “save as”)
You can get a list of all of our podcasts here,
or subscribe via iTunes.

Next Week Juan Carlos Castro will expand on this talk by reviewing the 12 Nidanas.

Many thanks to Kodomo and 5 Points Records for the intro music.

anonymous

posted July 12, 2009 at 10:04 am

As I mentioned previously, I think that if you want to use the term “Buddhist Blog” in your title, I think it could use some review.
If you are studying under a recognized teacher, from a lineage, I would suggest that you have your teacher review these blogs.
You might also want to contact the editors of Tricycle Magazine and run what you are writing by them.
If they think that what your writing constitutes a Buddhist Blog, then fine. But perhaps they will have some suggestions for a few changes.
gassho.

Robert

posted July 12, 2009 at 11:13 am

Anonymous, do you have a particular complaint about this post?
Nonetheless, I think it probably might not be a bad idea to make the post a little more transparent. That is, who authorized Crystal Gandrud as a dharma teacher? What lineage does she represent?

Ellen

posted July 12, 2009 at 9:18 pm

Anonymous, I’m surprised that you think it’s not okay for practitioners of buddhism to talk and write about it without consulting Tricycle magazine. Is there something in particular that you want to bring up? I’m curious.
You are welcome to check out the blog posters’ bios, and investigate the Interdependence Project site for more information. And of course, if you are curious about what buddhist background a particular writer here is coming from, just ask a blog poster directly. I think most of us would be happy to talk about what, where, and with whom we study.

Shigetsu

posted July 13, 2009 at 10:58 am

Robert, I happened to be listening to the podcast when I saw your comment. She states in the talk that she’s from the “Tibetan” tradition. If you click on her name in the blog post it’ll direct you to her website. According to the website, Crystal is: “on the faculty of Salve Regina University, Newport, Rhode Island, as well as a certified Meditation Instructor and graduate of Shambhala Buddhist Vajrayana Seminary.” You could probably do some digging from there if you’re interested.
I’m also a bit curious about the motivation behind Anonymous’ comment… this post was pretty much just an FYI about the podcast. Maybe she/he found the Karma puffs offensive? They look pretty tasty to me.

Ethan

posted July 13, 2009 at 11:03 am

@ anonymous. Everyone who writes for these blogs is a student of Buddhism, some are teachers, and a few are highly experienced teachers.
We agree, we disagree, others agree and disagree, but few people claim that some perspectives are “not buddhist.” Those of us who are teachers review the blog regularly as do many others. Tricycle often links to us. If you take issue with certain posts, then please be specific, so that specific responses can be made.
However, it seems rather daring, and a bit disrespectful to claim that a blog written by Buddhists, and Buddhist teachers, is somehow not Buddhist solely on your say-so. Perhaps this isn’t the blog for you. I hope it is though. Maybe your comments could further a discussion of traditional Buddhism for those trying to update its vast and diverse body of ideas and practices for the 21st century. Or you could simply look elsewhere.
@ Robert: when there is a teaching on the podcast, it usually gives the teacher’s bio. Check it out. Crystal is a teacher in the Shambhala tradition, as well as a certified Hatha yoga teacher, and a Board member of the Interdependence Project.

Ed

posted July 13, 2009 at 2:31 pm

This “podcast” nonsense is enough to cause folks to drop your website. Why is there no viewable text for your “podcasts? You have no consideration for people who are deaf.

Ethan

posted July 13, 2009 at 2:49 pm

Ed,
we are working on some podcast transcripts for the hearing impaired. However, many people find podcasts incredibly helpful, so for those who have the ability to hear, there isn’t any reason to call podcasts “nonsense.” They are something we at the Interdependence Project are happy to provide.

jerome thailing

posted July 17, 2009 at 10:57 pm

Hi Crystal…thank you for your discussion on karma, especially your comment that someone may choose to experience cancer. My question is this: is there racial or group karma???? jerome thailing

guodan

posted August 18, 2009 at 5:11 am

Ann

posted November 19, 2012 at 12:15 am

On time, space and the nowa0moment Exploring Spaciousness: Experiencing Peace Stillness Speaks Being yourself: The snleitlss of pure consciousness The Simple Life: Present Moment Living Share this:TweetMoreDiggEmailLike this:LikeBe the first to