One City

One City

Oh, Cheesus! On Hallucination and Other Spiritual Traps

posted by Ethan Nichtern

A woman from Preston Hollow, Texas, Sara Bell, claims she saw Jesus Christ in A Cheeto, and named it Cheesus Christ. Cheetos, anyone?

Cheeto, Cheetos, Cheesus Christ

I would like to take this opportunity to remind everyone that if you think you are having a big deal experience or revelation while practicing sitting meditation, such as seeing Mohammed in a bottle of root beer, that no experience is a big deal. Visions come, visions going. Staying present is what matters.

Why do we turn a (dreadfully unhealthy) snack into a spiritual revelation? And why does the woman have to be from Texas? I’m trying to get over my stereotyping here, not confirm it!

Damaris

posted May 19, 2009 at 12:06 pm

She’s alone. There is no one loving her.
When there is no love you become desperate. You search for a cure to your pain and you will go anywhere and do anything to relieve it. Even if that thing in unbelievable or even worse harmful to you.
It’s hard to understand that, especially if you’ve never been truly alone and truly unloved.

bill

posted May 20, 2009 at 11:52 am

People see these kinds of things because they’re taught that miracles are real. They’re taught by churches that events beyond the realm of actuality and universal physical laws once happened. Walk on water, raise the dead, multiply bread. These are events which exist outside of the realm of physical possibility, yet because there’s ‘belief’ or
‘faith,’ then they have validity. Why not Jesus in a cheeto? he’s present in the Catholic wafer, another food product. The term hocus pocus was most likely derived from, a corruption of ‘hoc est enim corpus meum’ which the priest would sayinraising the wafer that then became, transubstantiated into the body of Christ. Not the symbvolic body but the actual. So the roots for this kind of ‘miracle’ go back to the very beginnings of the Catholic church.

ellen

posted May 20, 2009 at 1:42 pm

Btw: that Catholic wafer is a matzah, you know. The last supper was a Passover seder. That means nothing regarding one’s belief in transubstantiation or not, but it just always makes me laugh when my husband turns to me at a marriage or funeral Mass and says, “Have they given out the matzah yet?”

Greg

posted May 20, 2009 at 2:44 pm

Actually I’ve seen a picture of “Cheesus” and an interview with the woman and her husband. The cheeto in question really does look like a person (standing with there hands held in front of them) and they seem to have quite a good sense of humor about the whole thing. I mean come on, they named it “Cheesus” that’s funny.
They’re putting it for sale on eBay and her husband said “Who knows what these things are worth. It could sell for $25 or 25 cents, If it’s 25 cents we’ll probably just eat it.”
So from what I saw these folks aren’t lonely, deluded or crazy. They’re normal people who have a sense of humor and stumbled across a happy accident that really does look like “Cheesus.”
Peace!

Rigdenpoet

posted May 20, 2009 at 2:57 pm

@Greg. That makes the story very cool indeed. I bet it will sell for ALOT on Ebay.

Mtn Gyrl

posted May 20, 2009 at 3:22 pm

Hmm. We call them cheese-toes. Limit myself to one little bag on every long car trip. Just had some this weekend. Yum. We were on the way home from . . . . TEXAS. In the words of one amazing teacher, “only go straight”. To me that means don’t make awful snack, don’t make perfect snack, just snack. Yum.

Damaris

posted May 20, 2009 at 6:54 pm

Thanks for the clarification Greg
@Ellen … good one :-). That’s what I’ll be thinking about the next time I attend mass.

Your Name

posted May 20, 2009 at 10:42 pm

WHEN I CRAVE FOR A FOOD AFTER MY EXERCISE,WHEN I HAVE EATEN MY APPLE
AT MY SHORT BREAK,I GO TO BENDING MACHINE AND BUY ONLY THE BAKED
POTATOE CHIP,IT IS MORE HEALTHY THAN THE REGULAR CHIPS OR THAT
CHEETOS THOUGH THE HOT CHEETOS IS WHAT I LIKE ONCE IN A WHILE.
THANKS!YOU ARE WHAT YOU EAT…

Cheyenne

posted June 14, 2010 at 6:06 pm

Nicole

posted September 24, 2010 at 1:35 pm

I eat cheetos everyday like 3 times a day and i love them.

diy landscaping

posted August 16, 2014 at 3:14 am

I do not even know how I ended up here, but I thought this post was great.
I do not know who you are but certainly you are going to a famous blogger if you
are not already ;) Cheers!