On the Front Lines of the Culture Wars

On the Front Lines of the Culture Wars

Why do they want to censor Jesus?

Prayer: Not politically correct!

Perhaps you remember Nevada high school valedictorian Brittany McComb, who last year delivered her commencement address to over 400 fellow students, families and staff. She had been warned by officials not to utter the name of Jesus in her speech.

However, believing that the district’s censorship of her speech amounted to a violation of her right to free speech, she delivered the banned version of her remarks in which she shared her personal beliefs about the role that her Christian beliefs played in her success.

When school officials found her to be straying from the approved text, they unplugged her microphone, ending her address. Despite loud and angry jeers from the audience over school officials’ actions, McComb was not permitted to finish giving her valedictory speech.

In another such incident at about the same time, the Rev. Danny Harvey was fired by a Florida hospital for including the word ‘Jesus’ at the end of his prayers.

The hospital said it was worried about what it called “Secondhand Jesus,” meaning that non-believers who might overhear his prayers should not have Jesus forced upon them.

Harvey, who worked for the Leesburg Regional Center for more than seven years, said the hospital staff forced him to resign from his post.

Louis H. Bremer Jr., the hospital’s president and chief executive officer, said in a statement: “The interpretation many Christians are getting is that prayer is completely banned from the hospital, which couldn’t be further from the truth.

“It would be very appropriate to say Jesus’ name in the presence of a Christian family. That’s no problem. What must be understood is knowing the audience and what is appropriate for that particular situation.”

In other words, anyone mentioning Jesus within listening distance of someone who doesn’t want to hear about Jesus will be punished.

Harvey insists that he didn’t force Jesus on anyone. “I would approach a family and offer them the chance for me to pray for them, but they have the option to say no,” Harvey said. “I have never imposed my beliefs on others.”

And why the double standard?

“Imagine if a Hindu were fired for invoking lord Vishnu’s name,” observes columnist Matthew Archbold, “or a Buddhist for invoking Buddha’s name, or even a Muslim for invoking Allah’s name.

“The ACLU would be screaming bloody murder. But, for Christians to invoke the name of their namesake, Jesus Christ … well, it is tantamount to a hate crime!”

Is this sort of treatment inevitable? Should Christians just accept it. After all, in Matthew 24:9, Jesus did warn us, “Then shall they deliver you up to be afflicted, and shall kill you: and ye shall be hated of all nations for my name’s sake.”

Navy Chaplain Gordon Klingenschmitt earned the ire of his commanders with his prayers “in Jesus’ name.” His 16-year career ended abruptly when he refused a superior’s order that he quit praying in Jesus’ name.

Klingenschmitt today says the costs of his battle were high but worthwhile, because it prompted Congress to instruct the Navy that the policy be rescinded. As a result, other chaplains have the freedom that Klingenschmitt sought.

“My sacrifice purchased their freedom. My conscience is clear, the fight was worth it, and I’d do it all again,” he said.

Want to read more? CLICK HERE to read whether faith in Jesus is just too shocking for the news media to handle.
CLICK HERE to consider more about why the media is offended by people of faith
CLICK HERE to consider whether we are headed for a God-free society
Is Jesus an illegal word that cannot be uttered in public anymore? CLICK HERE
CLICK HERE
to read about recent legal efforts to ban church bells
And CLICK HERE to consider a British journalist’s concern that Christianity is becoming criminalized in Western society.

Don

posted April 9, 2011 at 11:08 am

I beleive, a person that beleives in Christ should be able to talk or pray in his name, regardless of what others say or want. It is his, or her hope to eternal life and beleifs.

lisa herthel

posted April 9, 2011 at 4:02 pm

FREE EXPRESSION IS ABSOLUTE
lEAVE JESUS ALONE

terry harmon

posted April 9, 2011 at 7:22 pm

When will the christian people realize that we need to get off our butts and fight back.but here is something to think about when he told the world in advance that this stuff was coming. but if we sit back and do nothing then this kind of infringement of our rights.

the question is why are sitting back and let these peoples who are doing this get by with it.when an american person say we can’t pray in Jesus name i have to ask why ? this country was found on christian beliefs . But people today are saying that jesus is Dead and I will tell you other wise .this kind of stuff is what get’s me really mad. our military are overseas in the middle east fighting for my and your right to pray in jesus name. school officals when all types of people in the schools are afraid of offending someone . but when you offend one person with the use of jesus’s name and tell me I can’t ,will you offend me.

i feel like this, WHO WITHOUT SIN CAST THE FIRST STONE.will my thoughts make someone mad so what . So christians gett of your butts and fight back. beside we when in the end.

Liz Stone

posted April 9, 2011 at 8:52 pm

To the above poster I agree, it’s up to the people. WAKE UP, THIS IS A WAKE UP CALL! It’s time to bring the revolutions and underground groups and all the thousands of people from ALL the Christian festivals together. Come on Christian Brothers and Sisters, what would Jesus do? Just sit there? NO! We have our answer- Don’t hide our lights under a bushel. We’re a cty shining on a hill, tell the WORLD we’re shining STILL and it’s time to tell the WORLD WE ALWAYS WILL! We CAN do this, have FAITH it’ll happen from actions and Faith TOGETHER. Amen!

I’m doing it, will you?

Maggie

posted April 9, 2011 at 11:25 pm

I am a Christian, but just because the majority of Americans are Christians doesn’t give us the right to force our religion on other people when we are at events which are NOT religious. No Hindu, Jewish, Muslim or any other religious family should have to go to HS graduation or any other event and have to listen to a Christian prayer. Imagine if you, being a Christian, had to listen to prayers of these other religions at a non-religious event. Would you appreciate it? I doubt it. Prayers or testimonies like that belong in relgious settings.

Aaron Wikkerink

posted April 10, 2011 at 12:21 am

Congress shall pass no laws respecting the establishment of a religion, nor restricting the free worship thereof. The ACLU and the US Government need to be sued for violating the Freedom of Religion that is Guaranteed in the US Constitution.
There shall be NO LAWS restricting my right to pray in Jesus Name.
(or yeshua as the name his mother gave him when he was born)

Raymond

posted April 10, 2011 at 1:26 am

To Maggie I ask. What are you saying, it is OK for the ungodly to flaunt and force their hatred for God down our throats but it is wrong for a Christian to give testimony of their faith? Remember Jesus sent his disciples out to bring the good news to the world. Most of them gave their all to do this and when they were thrown into prison and beaten for their words then told not to preach in his name, what was the response?
Should we obey men or God?
And in answer to you I say in this our country founded on the principles of God, WE DO HAVE THAT RIGHT!

Rare Jewel of Christ

posted April 11, 2011 at 9:02 am

Maggie, thinnk about this. When trouble comes and you are wondering where Jesus is, he’s going to say that I was in that religious setting you said that I should be in. We are in an all out war against satan for our souls. Yet, we want to grab Jesus when it is convenient. There is only one God and his name is Jesus. Every knee shall bow and tongue confess that Jesus Christ is Lord-not Buddah, Allah or anyone else but Jesus.

Annawleh

posted April 11, 2011 at 9:56 am

Jesus is alive no matter what they do or say. And we will continue to lift up his name. Why are all these restrictions against the christian faith alone and none other? Because Jesus is the only way. The other faiths are nothing but distractions from the truth. You never hear of any attacks on the thousands of other faith on this planet except christians. The devil can do all he can but he can never ever destroy christianity because its all about Jesus and he lives in our hearts. They may try to silence our voices but thay can never ever silence our hearts and minds.

truthislight

posted April 11, 2011 at 10:56 am

For a Christian it is natural to speak of Christ. So you say, He is only allowed in “religious settings”? Christ is with me 24/7, not only in church. My body is His temple, so how can I seperate the two? If I choose to speak of my life, it involves Christ fully. My life is no longer my own, but His, as in all Christians. So, I should not speak of the very think that I am? God forbid. God is love (real love, not the worlds love). This world is lost and suffering, it is our responsiblity to offer hope. If it is expected that is great, but if a person doesn’t want to be bothered, I will not force my belief on them, but does that give a person a right to make me deny who I am? Or to take Christ away from me? If you don’t want to listen, that is your right and I will not take that way from you, just as you should not take my right to love Christ and to want to help others away from. I mean no disrespect and I hope this is not offensive, because that is the last thing I want to do to a brother or sister in Christ.

President Obama fails key test for Antichrists: confesses Jesus is Lord
President Barack Obama passed a key test Monday night in case anybody is worried that he is the Antichrist. Speaking at a campaign fundraiser at the House of Blues in Los Angeles, Obama was interrupted by a man identified as David Serrano who repeatedly yelled that "Jesus is God." As Se

posted 7:53:12pm Sep. 28, 2011 | read full post »

Michael Moore: America would welcome a fat president such as Chris Christie
Asked by Joy Behar onHeadline News whether America would vote for a "fat" candidate for President, controversial film-maker Michael Moore, who has never been accused of being too skinny, responded that most of America is fat and would probably identify with an overweight Commander-in-Chief. Histo

posted 10:27:30am Sep. 28, 2011 | read full post »

ACLU, Planned Parenthood combine to fight Mississippi constitutional amendment
Planned Parenthood and the American Civil Liberties Union have joined forces to create the pro-abortion “Mississippians for Healthy Families” with a goal of defeating a constitutional amendment limiting abortion in the Magnolia State. Christine Dhanagom of LifeSiteNews writes that "Yes on

posted 11:55:16am Sep. 27, 2011 | read full post »

Scientists tell pollsters religion and science not irreconcilable
Are there irreconcilable differences between faith and science? Not in the opinion of prominent scientists who participated in a five-year study by Rice University. Researchers there found that only a minority of scientists questioned at major research universities say that religion and scien

posted 3:13:07pm Sep. 23, 2011 | read full post »

Wikileaks: U.S. Embassy criticized Catholic influences on Poland
U.S. Embassy officials in Warsaw, Poland, under the Obama administration complained that Catholic Church doctrine is a major source of “homophobia” in the heavily Catholic country, according to diplomatic cables released by Wikileaks. The messages from the American embassy in Poland's capit

posted 3:51:00pm Sep. 08, 2011 | read full post »