O Me of Little Faith

O Me of Little Faith

I’m Having an End-of-Days Sale

posted by Jason Boyett

My apologies for the shameless self-promotion, but while supplies last, I’m having an apocalyptic blow-out sale right now at jasonboyett.com. Just in case we all need it this weekend, I’m offering Pocket Guide to the Apocalypse for $5.21 in honor of Harold Camping’s predicted rapture date.

For kicks and/or extra heavenly credit, I’m throwing in a free copy of Pocket Guide to the Bible.

That’s two books for $5.21, which is about what they’re worth once I bespoil them with my signature. Yes, I’ll sign both books and get them in the mail as quickly as possible.

If you’re interested, here’s the order page via PayPal.

This is a limited-time offer, for obvious reasons.

{Update, 8 am, May 17: The sale is over. Inventory is running low and I want to try to get these in the mail for this weekend. Thanks to everyone who made a purchase. Enjoy the apocalypse!}

barney

posted May 16, 2011 at 8:02 am

2000 years of “Any day now”. Christianity preys on the downtrodden, ‘this life sucks but join our religion and any day now Mr. Invisible will make everything perfect’.

So this means Christians should not be a part of the discussion of how to solve any of the problems here on earth. Why should they care about solving them? War, poverty, disease and all human misery will soon go away because the ancient magic book says so.

Gordie

posted May 16, 2011 at 8:37 am

@ Barney: Wow! The thing that makes this blog work, if it works (and I believe it does) is that posters here engage in a free exchange of often diverse opinion about complicated subjects without belittling the position of others. It’s okay, I think, if you say that you think Christianity has wrought terrible things upon humanity, and explain why you believe that. But lumping all Christians into a single pile and implying they’re stupid for their beliefs is neither constructive nor furthers conversation of any sort.

Jason Boyett

posted May 16, 2011 at 9:25 am

Thank you, Gordie. I agree.

Warwick

posted May 16, 2011 at 9:59 am

Are you shipping internationally? If so, how much?

I mean, I might be “gone” by the time they arrive, but just in case I’m not … ;)

Jason Boyett

posted May 16, 2011 at 10:01 am

@Warwick:

Sorry, but I can’t do international shipping with this deal. You’d have better luck (and pricing) getting the book from Amazon. Thanks, though.

Kathryn

posted May 16, 2011 at 4:39 pm

I am a rational, practical, logical person, but I was raised a Catholic. Like Jason, predictions of the end of the world have always touched a primitive, superstitious nerve in me, in spite of every argument that shoots them down. Guess that’s the religious teachings of my youth, so ingrained that I can’t completely suppress them.

For other like me who hear the end is near and are filled with dread and hopelessness, I would like to offer some words of comfort. Harold Camping claims that all the evidence and clues leading to his prediction are in the Bible. But as I learned in a theology class in college, the Bible was compiled by a committee from letters (often badly translated from some other language), from oral traditions (the telephone game anybody?), and other sources. The committe decided what to leave in and what to leave out. Numbers were often given in euphemisms like “40 days and 40 nights” to mean a long time. There are many versions of the Bible, as well, and new editions come out all the time.

So if Harold Camping is using clues in the Bible to make his calculations, which version is he using? He is also assuming that everything in the book is true and exact. He has no proof of any solid basis or assurance of accuracy of anything in it. He BELIEVES. But how can anyone hope to base scientific calculations on a belief?

And why do people like Camping trumpet their predictions? He says he doesn’t want money and cannot help save anyone. Then what does he get for his publicity campaign? He gets fame. He gets people talking about him, wanting to talk to him. Sounds like pride to me. Isn’t that one of those seven deadly sins?

Fastthumbs

posted May 16, 2011 at 5:02 pm

But the world ends in flame! Just that Harold Camping is off by 5,000,000,000 years (give or take a few million). From Wikipedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Red_giant):

“The Sun is predicted to become a red giant in approximately five billion years. It is calculated that the Sun will become sufficiently large to engulf the current orbits of the solar system’s inner planets, up to Earth and its radius will expand to a minimum of 200 times its current value. The Sun will lose a significant fraction of its mass in the process of becoming a red giant, and there is a chance that Mars and all the outer planets will escape as their resulting orbits will widen.”

Of course this doesn’t play into the end of world scammers agenda’s to convince a mark that he/she needs to donate NOW.

nnmns

posted May 17, 2011 at 10:50 am

Kathryn you gave a good dose of reality to those who look to the Bible for facts. Thank you.

Barney

posted May 18, 2011 at 2:14 am

@Gordie. Remember your holy book calls anyone that does not believe in the Jewish desert deity a fool. So it would seem Christians are the ones that end all capacity to debate by referencing the bible or their ‘faith’ as a source of truth.
As for the damage that Christianity/religion has done, the fact of the matter is that even though human knowledge and science have progressed, there is still as much human suffering as ever. War, poverty and all manner of human suffering still persist. Why? Your holy books have no answer. They predict these will only increase till Jesus returns. So since religion has no answer for human misery except hope for a better afterlife, why not dump it in favor of reason and science as a guide?
The evidence is clear that societies with less religion have less suffering. Faith is at best nothing more than an opiate.