O Me of Little Faith

O Me of Little Faith

21 Things You Should Know About Harold Camping

posted by Jason Boyett

Do you have Harold Camping fatigue yet? I’m pretty close. After a few articles and radio interviews about it (thanks, book I wrote six years ago!), I’m growing a bit weary of the subject. But I also realize that people are VERY interested in it. And I like people to be educated, so here’s one last blog post before May 21. I mean, at least one last post about Harold Camping and Family Radio and all the rapture stuff. I’m pretty sure I’ll be back Monday with some more stuff.

Harold CampingThus, here are 21 things you need to know about Harold Camping and his May 21 prediction.

1. Harold Camping is not a trained Bible scholar. He has a BS in civil engineering from UC Berkeley. He has not been to seminary. Of course, neither have I, and that doesn’t stop me from saying Camping is wrong. So I can’t fault him for thinking he’s right.

2. But Harold Camping does describe himself as a Bible scholar. In this interview at Killing the Buddha, he said: “I am a Bible teacher, a Bible scholar. For the last 50 years, I’ve made the Bible my university.”

3. Harold Camping doesn’t have much patience for theologians or trained Bible scholars. Later in the same interview, he states, “…instead of having to go through the screen of theologians who have tried to understand the Bible, I found that it was far more efficient just to study the Bible itself.”

4. Harold Camping doesn’t describe himself as a pastor, either. “I’m not a minister. Not a pastor,” he told KtB. “I am a servant of the Lord, declaring what I have learned from the Word of God.”

5. Harold Camping likes math. This comes from his analytical engineering background. In fact, his declaration of May 21 as the date of the Rapture isn’t based on any divine audible revelation from God but from Camping’s unique mathematical approach to the Bible as a code to be cracked. I couldn’t begin to walk you through it — or understand it myself — but as far as I understand, it has to do with Camping’s estimated date of the biblical flood (May 21, 4990 BC) and the verse in 2 Peter about one day being like “a thousand years” to the Lord and how, back then, God warned Noah that he would destroy the earth “seven days from now” and therefore, Saturday is the 7000-year anniversary of the first drops of the biblical flood. So clearly that’s when Jesus will come back. Never mind that I’ve never heard anyone but Harold Camping say the flood began on May 21, 4990 BC. And I think Peter was using the “thousand years” as a metaphor, rather than announcing a mathematical equivalent.

6. The May 21 events will kick off with a worldwide earthquake which starts at 6 pm at the International Date Line and rolls through every single time zone on the planet, every hour on the hour at 6 pm. Totally not making that up. This comes from Camping’s reading of Jeremiah 25:32 about disaster spreading from “nation to nation.” He gets the earthquake part from Revelation 16:18. Not sure where the 6 pm comes from, but that’s what he says.

7. This isn’t a recent prediction. He mentioned its possibility in his book 1994? in which he suggested the rapture might occur on September 7 of that year. But if it didn’t, he said, then it would definitely happen on May 21, 2011, due to a difference in calculations. So give him credit. He’s got quite a few years invested in this prediction.

8. There’s a lot more to it than the 7,000-years-since-Noah thing. There are tons of other equations and formulas, including one in which he multiples (5 x 10 x 17) x (5 x 10 x 17) to get 722,500, then notes that Christ died on April 1, 33 AD. Guess what date is exactly 722,500 days after that crucifixion date? Yep. May 21, 2011.

9. Honestly, I don’t know where the 5, 10, and 17 come from. I’m looking at them in a dense explanatory page on the Family Radio site, and they certainly mean something in a metaphorical sense, but I don’t have the patience to try to figure it out.

10. Despite the complexity of his math and the fact that he is basing it off biblical dates few scholars agree with, Camping is absolutely certain he will not be wrong. He has told his followers and plastered across all his billboards, bus benches and RVs that “the Bible guarantees it.” So if it doesn’t happen, it’s not that Harold Camping is wrong. It’s the Bible that’s wrong.

11. Most of his employees feel the same way. Killing the Buddha also has a fascinating interview with Tom Evans, the media representative for Harold Camping and Family Radio. When asked what he’ll do if he wakes up on May 22 and the rapture hasn’t occurred, Evans says, “I’ve said if you boil everything down, it’s really trusting the Bible. If you can’t trust the Bible, then you got nothing. There’s no truth.” For Evans and others, the trustworthiness of the Bible hinges on Camping’s prediction.

12. But not all his employees feel that way. Evans, the media guy, has had a few run-ins with Family Radio employees who aren’t too happy about Camping’s prediction. Also, Ted Cox, the reporter for that article, saw a memo at Family Radio’s Oakland headquarters outlining the company’s holiday schedule for 2011. Thanksgiving and Christmas were both on the list, even though Camping teaches that the universe will no longer exist after October 21.

13. Harold Camping doesn’t care if you quote Matthew 24:36 to him. That well-known verse states, “But about that day or hour no one knows, not even the angels in heaven, nor the Son, but only the Father.” Camping uses 1 Cor. 2:10-14 to redefine what “no one knows” means, and says that the saved CAN know because they are indwelt by God’s spirit. The wicked don’t know, unfortunately. But even though Matthew 24:36 says Jesus won’t know either, well that’s just wrong, Camping says. Of course Jesus will know. Because Jesus and God are one.

14. I don’t know what Harold Camping would think if you quoted Deut. 18:20 to him. That verse says any false prophet who claims to speak for the Lord — but is proved to be wrong and therefore has spoken presumptuously — should be put to death. I’ve never heard him address this. If you have, I’d love to know what he thinks.

15. Camping, who is almost 90 years old, doesn’t care about his legacy. He thinks that’s a dumb question, because “on October 21 of this year, the whole world is going to be annihilated, and never be remembered. So what legacy am I going to leave to anybody? The only thing is that I hope that there are people who are listening that will begin to plead with God and begin to cry out” (KtB interview). Makes sense, I guess. What good is a legacy if no one’s around to appreciate it?

16. Camping hasn’t been a member of a church since he left Alameda Bible Fellowship in 1988. Not long after, he announced that he had deduced from the Bible that the “Church Age” had ended and it was no longer necessary for any Christians to attend church.

17. Camping says “only a small percentage” of his family members agree with his teachings. He’s got a lot of family members, though. Six living children, 24 grandchildren, 38 great-grandchildren. Presumably, he thinks a lot of them will be left behind.

18. I’m running out of things we should know. I kind of wish Camping had announced that the rapture would be on May 17.

19. One of the reasons he says the Church Age ended in 1988 was because that’s when worldly music began to enter the church. For reals. Jesus is coming back and it’s Chris Tomlin’s fault.

20. Harold Camping doesn’t believe in hell. One of the things that ought to make him a publishing rock star — if only he were younger and wore better glasses — is that he doesn’t teach that hell is a place of punishment for the damned. Camping is an annihilationist. He teaches the unsaved will be destroyed.

21. Harold Camping won’t apologize for his wrong prediction once May 22 rolls around. Most likely he will say that, because of his efforts — and the efforts of his followers — to warn the world of the May 21 event, God has chosen to withhold his judgment for now. And not long after that, Camping will recalculate and announce a new date.

Now you know. See you next week.

Zack

posted May 19, 2011 at 3:52 pm

Fantastic post!

Favorite line: Jesus is coming back and it’s Chris Tomlin’s fault.

Tragically, I’ve got several students in my youth group that go a fundie Baptist school that would absolutely affirm that statement.

Sigh

JP Rennquist

posted May 19, 2011 at 3:59 pm

If you don’t end up being raptured, then maybe they’ll move your pocket guide to the apocalypse out of the bargain bin and back on the shelves, if you do, well, that’s it’s own reward.

Thanks for the math lesson, by the way, this is starting to make a little more sense to me. For me and my friends and family I am sticking with the Matthew 24:36 approach. I try to prepare my heart at all times, not knowing the day or the hour my savior will come. If it comes this weekend then I guess I won’t have to worry about my overdue library books. Not until the final judgement, I guess. If it isn’t on Saturday (or if I’m not pure enough of heart to make the cut) then I’ve just got some more work to do.

Amy

posted May 19, 2011 at 4:05 pm

I was sort of hoping Jesus would come back this Saturday because I don’t really want to go to my doctor’s appointment on Monday, you know?

Ken Grant

posted May 19, 2011 at 4:21 pm

Here’s my predictions:

1. On Saturday, the most played song not currently on the Top 40 charts will be R.E.M.’s “End of the World as we know it.”

2. The new date will be set by Harold Camping within a month.

The only question is, does he set the new date for the next couple of years or does he go for a date 20 or more years in the future when he will have probably shuffled off his mortal coil?

Tim

posted May 19, 2011 at 4:43 pm

Hilarious! Nice job.
I for one think he is trying to be remembered and knows that his date is bogus. Though he is delusional, I do think he has some self-awareness left (even in his old age). I also think he has his normally scheduled doctor’s appointments for next week too.

Anyway, great post.

Eliau

posted May 19, 2011 at 4:49 pm

I’m wondering if Harold Camping will sign over his possessions and resources to those which shall continue labouring in the ME and world, after he has flown the coup in the Rapture. Seems the faithful thing to do?

Ken Summerlin

posted May 19, 2011 at 4:57 pm

Great post! Now I know more about this guy who claims to know something that the Bible tells us that Jesus doesn’t even know.

Pingback: Scholars and the Media around the Blogosphere | Exploring Our Matrix

Amanda

posted May 19, 2011 at 7:11 pm

Did Camping take into consideration daylight savings, leap years & such when calculating? Just curious.

The Apologetics Blogger

posted May 19, 2011 at 7:41 pm

Know a believer in the may 21st prophecy? Thinking about it yourself? Check this out: http://wp.me/p1yHkw-1x
-The Apologetics Blogger

Winn Collier

posted May 19, 2011 at 9:09 pm

“Jesus is coming back and it’s Chris Tomlin’s fault” I keep returning to that line, can’t stop laughing.

#12 – so we have until October???

Jason Boyett

posted May 19, 2011 at 9:27 pm

You, Winn, only have until May 21 (presumably). After the rapture, the world will be plunged into chaos until it’s destroyed October 21, per Camping’s timeline. Cheers!

Peter

posted May 19, 2011 at 10:28 pm

Family Radio can truly be a blessing, but when Camping comes on all the blessing goes out the window. A true Numerologist!

Pingback: Gay Rapture | Unreasonable Faith

Cecelia Dowdy

posted May 20, 2011 at 6:01 am

Great post! Camping just needs to stop it already and move on! I guess he might do that after May 21? Nah! He’ll just move on to another false prophetic date!

NoYourGod

posted May 20, 2011 at 7:55 am

Did Camping’s calculations take into account the changes to dates due to the differences between the Julian and Gregorian calendars?

Boosterz

posted May 20, 2011 at 8:02 am

I think we should all take some old clothes real early on Sunday and go drop them in piles in random locations…

Pingback: Harold Camping is a Bible Scholar and Sounds Like Beth Moore | Unsettled Christianity

jestrfyl

posted May 20, 2011 at 11:17 am

In the workbook I use to plan Sunday services of worship I keep 2 Peanuts cartoons, wich both have the same punchline, but a slightlydifferent set up. The pucnline in both strips, delivered by Linus and by Snoopy is the question that should be asked of all bible scholars, theological prognosticatos, and itinerant prophets;
“Has it ever occured to you that you just might be wrong?”

Camping had better be working on his Christmas shopping, ‘cuz I expect Gos has a surprise for him on October 22. “Surprise, Your’re still here – and so am I”

Patsy

posted May 20, 2011 at 11:18 am

I guess this means no travelling for me tomorrow then because all the christian drivers on the road will disappear from their cars and there will be accidents a plenty. I’m not poking fun at him here though, I’m a christian but I know that unless I die tomorrow, I’ll be here on Sunday.

Mike

posted May 20, 2011 at 11:49 am

It’s pretty sad that there are people blowing their life savings over this (and not even on fun stuff, but on billboards to promote the rapture). People who make predictions like this should be forced to make a money back guarantee.

Jason Boyett

posted May 20, 2011 at 11:55 am

Best comment yet, Mike. Well done.

Chad

posted May 20, 2011 at 12:00 pm

Jason,

What are you waiting for? Where’s your faith, man? Why is this blog still online?

;-)

Pedro M Trinidad

posted May 20, 2011 at 12:08 pm

Here’s Camping’s answer to the False Prophet accusation.

Pedro M Trinidad

posted May 20, 2011 at 12:10 pm

Sorry, the link was misssing

barbarA

posted May 20, 2011 at 1:04 pm

This man is getting so much attention from believers and non’s that he must feel like a “Rock Star”. I’m “praying” that at 6:30PM, they throw his sorry ass off of every one of his TV and radio stations.
If i see his face one more time when i turn on the TV i might not have to wait for the “Rapture” Im just might “Kill Myself!

StevM

posted May 20, 2011 at 2:35 pm

I wish I could organize a group to sneak about 100 or so blow up dolls into the Preakness infield tomorrow, along with a helium tank. Then just about 6PM (about 10 – 15 minutes before the race), release them all, so the 75,000 or so in attendance, along with the National TV audience could see the “souls” ascending to heaven.

Stanley J. Groothof

posted May 20, 2011 at 3:51 pm

Helpful post. Re: Camping hasn’t been a member of a church: It occurs to me that coming up with a ridiculous apocalyptic theory that dismisses the church is a great way to justify not tithing!

And speaking of money, did you hear about the North Hampshire entrepreneur who “set up a service to look after the pets of those who believe they will be raptured? He has more than 250 clients who are paying up to $135 to have their pets picked up and cared for after disaster strikes.” Because the contract includes “no refunds,” my admittedly hasty calculations suggest he just made $33,750! (see: http://www.cbc.ca/news/world/story/2011/05/20/judgement-day.html)

It’s all nuts. Thanks for pointing that out!
~Stan

Sheila

posted May 20, 2011 at 3:55 pm

Good post! It’s really sad how people are so open to a “fallacy”, but so resistant to the actual truth. I wonder if Mr. Camping considers what excuse he’ll give to God for being the “stumbling block to his brother.”???

Jason Boyett

posted May 20, 2011 at 3:56 pm

@Stanley. I got to know Bart, the pet rapture-rescue entrepreneur, back in 2009. Did a two-part interview with him.

Read part one here: http://bit.ly/lgftSr

Part two: http://bit.ly/lw3UiH

RuthAnn

posted May 20, 2011 at 4:40 pm

Well, whether he believes in Hell or not, one day he WILL discover that Hell IS REAL!! If he isn’t a Christian, he’ll be VERY SORRY!!!!

Bobby

posted May 20, 2011 at 6:36 pm

I wish this guy were not crazy. I would get to meet my King tomorrow. Instead I am sure that I will go to work and then watch the recorded Nascar All Star race when I get home. My biggest fear is for his followers. It sounds as if many of them won’t believe the bible at all after their let down comes tomorrow.

colly

posted May 20, 2011 at 7:21 pm

interesting read but as people said leap years and old style calenders surely havent been taken into consideration??

And anyway havent the mayans ‘mentioned’ the worlds end for next december? What with their calendar ending and the such.

Mayan#1: (after scrying into the future) ”dude a guy called harold camping recons rapture is in 2011”

mayan#2: (slams chisel down) well theres no bloody point carrying on this then.

Kelly

posted May 20, 2011 at 11:34 pm

Great post! @Colly! Love it! The Mayans have mentioned the world ending in 2012, but I have also read that those who have studied it’s meaning have misunderstood and it’s supposedly the beginning of 5th Sun, not the end of the world, but the end of an era…the beginning of something new and different. I am not a Christian, I am Jewish, but I have never said one religion or person is wrong simply based on different beliefs, but Harold Camping is definitely crazy…he is taking advantage of those who are easily swayed by his ridiculousness. These people came to him for guidance and he has brainwashed them in return. Truly sad.

Benjamin A. Carey MD

posted May 21, 2011 at 12:00 am

As both a Christian and as a psychiatrist, I continue to be quite astounded by his predictions. I have heard him on multiple occasions on the radio and it is apparent to me that he has a delusional disoder which by definition is a fixed false belief system which generally does not respond well to anti-psychotic medication.
What is so disturbing to me as a Christian is his failure to understand the concept of faith. Hebrews 11 outlines clearly the history of faith from Abel to Samuel and the prophets. It is faith that compels Jesus to heal us as seen in Matthew 8-9 whether by touch or by proxy (Matthew 8: 1-13). We are not meant to understand everything about God (Isaiah 55: 8-9), but we are directed to trust God completely (Proverbs 3: 4-5).
When we make the conscious and deliberate decision to accept what we can not see and feel (Hebrews 11: 1) then we are transformed by the renewing of our mind (Romans 12: 2) and our works are a manifestation of that transformation (Ephesians 2: 8-10, James 2: 14-26). When we choose to accept Jesus as our Lord and Savior, then we see that He is the only way to a relationship with God (Romans 5: 1-2, John 14: 6).
In essence, it is our decision to beleive that Jesus is Who He says He is (Matthew 16: 16) and our decision to follow Him (Matthew 9: 9)that transforms us so that we can fulfill His requirement for us ( Romans 10: 9-10 and Matthew 28: 19-20) that leads to the most comforting aspect of the relationship (Romans 8: 38-39).
Enjoy the scriptures.
Benjamin A. Carey MD
Psychiatrist

Kate

posted May 21, 2011 at 12:36 am

Honestly, why would the world be ending if in other countries it 11:00 in the afternoon & not one earthquake has been reported? (from what I’ve heard.) I don’t know what to think.

Kaitlyn

posted May 21, 2011 at 12:47 am

As for the Deut. 18:20, on the news tonight they had where they had asked him about it. They asked if he would be considered a false prophet if the rapture didn’t occur and his response was something along the lines that he won’t entertain those ideas because the world is ending and to consider that is wrong. Or something else ridiculous like that.

Stutz

posted May 21, 2011 at 1:12 am

There’s a lot on his web site about how God has predetermined who the saved will be. I haven’t heard anybody discuss why he and his followers think it’s so necessary to warn the world and save last-minute souls if the saved have already been chosen by God since before the beginning of time.

Mac

posted May 21, 2011 at 1:25 am

Well, look at it this way, if it happens and we are all left, perhaps we can move on and actually get the world on track. :)

Stutz

posted May 21, 2011 at 1:30 am

To Benjamin A. Carey MD, Psychiatrist:

Your summary of faith is “our decision to believe that Jesus is Who He says He is.” Yet, the sum total of all the things Jesus ever said (unless you claim to have received some special, personal revelation) is only recorded in the Bible, and is found nowhere else. So it seems to me that your faith would have to be in the Bible first, because if it is an untrustworthy document, full of myth and legend and embellishment, then you have no way of reliably knowing anything whatsoever about Jesus. What then, is the basis for faith in the Bible? Because historical and textual scholarship, not to mention common sense, all indicate that a book full of myth, legend, and embellishment is exactly what the Bible is.

Pete

posted May 21, 2011 at 2:17 am

Interested in math? Rubbish. All his math is simple algebra. An educated 8th grader can make it out. As an engineer, he surely was exposed to some calculus in college, and that is just first year stuff. My brother is a Ph.D in mathematics, and let me tell you in all gets a whole lot more complicated after that. If God really wanted to hide some serious stuff in his bible you think he could catch up to math that post dates the 14th century or whatever Camping was exposed to.

Camping is old, very old. He will die soon regardless. Personally, I think he dies within a year of May 21st. Normal statistics, most old people die very soon after their beloved spouse dies. In Campings world, his spouse is the end of the world. He had to predict it soon, because he couldn’t possibly believe it would happen without him.

Paul Meehan

posted May 21, 2011 at 2:34 am

Its 6:33pm local time Saturday 21st May 2011 here in Dunedin, New Zealand.
Everything is just fine & normal.
Just another great day in paradise.

Benjamin A. Carey MD

posted May 21, 2011 at 6:58 am

Stutz
I accept the Bible as the inspired word of God (1 Peter 1: 20-21, 2 Timothy 3: 16-17, and John 1: 1, 14). For me, the authenticity of the Bible is not an issue with which I struggle, but for those who do not accept the Bible as I do and want to know more about the Bible’s authenticity, then I recommend reading The New Evidence That Demands a Verdict by Josh McDowell or Hoiw Now Shall We Live by Charles Colson.
Benjamin A . Carey MD

barney

posted May 21, 2011 at 8:22 am

No great earthquake when Camping predicted so looks like us atheists escaped eternal damnation from loving Jesus for now.

It is quite hilarious to have other believers explain how crazy Camping is but only because he just doesn’t understand scripture as well as they do. You’re all nuts, you’re all a horrible influence on the world.

Steve

posted May 21, 2011 at 11:19 am

As an atheist, this is very entertaining to watch unfold.

For the rest of you religious people who aren’t believing what camping says, you’re still wrong. The world ending can be explained 100% through science.

Breckmin

posted May 21, 2011 at 1:38 pm

Harold Camping left his (CRC)church in May/June of 1988 after
being told that he could no longer teach some of his nonsense.
He later decided that May of 1988 is when Satan began to rule
in the churches. His continued deception and self-deception
grew when he created an imaginary event “before the foundation
of the world” that took his eyes off of the REAL Sacrifice of
Jesus dying on the Cross. Pride goes before a fall. In the
70′s it was prideful for Camping to think he could date the
flood of Noah. In 1988 it was prideful of him not to submit
to church discipline. The problem is that he is generally seen
as a very “humble man” to his followers (listeners of Family
Radio) and this is attractive to the unsuspecting Christian.
I would say that Harold Camping’s problem is no longer pride..
it is instead complete deception and self-deception due to
taking his eyes off of the Power of the Sacrifice of Jesus
dying on the Cross. Along with his ridiculous date setting,
he also does not understand eternal separation and logical
consequences for sin…nor does he understand that it is
possible for unclean deceiving spirits to deceive him.
Question everything!!! It just might help you use a small
amount of practical wisdom to tell the difference between
Harold Camping’s nonsense and the historical truth of
orthodox Christianity.

Pingback: Family Radio Listeners - To Be Read on May 22, 2011 - Harold Camping's False Teaching - Page 3 - Christian Forums

Amy R

posted May 21, 2011 at 2:35 pm

Regarding the false prophecy passage-
Two nights ago a radio caller asked about this on his live q&a show. His response, paraphrased, was that he was not a prophet, has never claimed to be one, and has no religious authority over any individual. Maybe he should look up the definition of “prophet” in Websters.

Brad the Reader

posted May 21, 2011 at 6:09 pm

OK! I have read enough about this May 21 2011. I dont know who is more dumb, a MAN who says he knows (to a date and hour) when the rapture will happen. Or the people that actually believe and follow this moron. He is full of sh*t because the BIBLE, did you hear that? THE BIBLE clearly states NO ONE knows, not even JESUS. Only the Father knows. SO, lets just for the sake of amuzement, say this Harold guy is right. And? There is nothing we can do about it. Prepare? How does one prepare for the END? I dont think the survival kits are gonna work on something of this scale, we are talking multiple ELE’s(Extinction Level Events) Did this Harold Camping give up all his wordly possession like the rest of his followers did to support this bs? HELL NO he didnt. He still owns 66 radio stations and all that, that comes with it. He nets over a million dollars in donations in a year. He is a false prophet and the BIBLE warns us of it. Read the book of Matthew 24:24-26 and Matthew 24:36. The Rapture will happen when THE FATHER deems its time. GOD the Creator isnt gonna be like “Hey!You know that old preacher with all those radio stations, you know, the one in California. No offense my son Jesus, no offense Angels, but Im gonna let THAT GUY know when Im gonna return to Judge all.” WHY in the hell would he? You cant stop it. There is no prep work you can do for it. You can do 100 good deeds a day for the next week. But He comes back to Judge your LIFE. Not what you did because you were scared of his return in the last week of your life. This Harold Camping has scared the living sh*t out of people, and it pisses me off. Be strong and live each day like it was your last, and always remember this saying. “Believe nothing you hear and only half of what you see”. Dont give his radical teachings 2 seconds of thought. He is leading people over a cliff and turning peoples eyes away from the true scripture.

liljune

posted May 21, 2011 at 7:51 pm

If Harold Camping thinks he’s going to slink into obscurity without being held accountable for his false prophecies he is wrong, again. It doesn’t matter one wit if he didn’t tell anyone to send him money, deplete their savings, quit their jobs or sell their houses and all they own. He will be called into account:

“These teachers in their greed will tell you anything to get hold of your money. But God condemned them long ago and their destruction is on the way.” 2 Peter 2:3

“….but there are some who trouble you and want to pervert the gospel of Christ. 8 But even if we, or an angel from heaven, preach any other gospel to you than what we have preached to you, let him be accursed.” Galatian 1:7, 8

“Behold, I am against those who prophesy false dreams,” says the LORD, “and tell them, and cause My people to err by their lies and by their recklessness. Yet I did not send them or command them; therefore they shall not profit this people at all,” says the LORD.”
Jeremiah 23:32

On Campings declaration that God said flee the churches:

“You have scattered My flock, driven them away, and not attended to them. Behold, I will attend to you for the evil of your doings,” says the LORD.: Jeremiah 23:2

There are 3 scriptures all Christians should try to adhere to when dealing with false prophets and deceivers such as Harold Camping:

“Test everything. Hold on to the good.” (1 Thessalonians 5:21)

“Then the brethren immediately sent Paul and Silas away by night to Berea. When they arrived, they went into the synagogue of the Jews. These were more fair-minded than those in Thessalonica, in that they received the word with all readiness, and searched the Scriptures daily to find out whether these things were so.” Acts 17:10, 11

Campings’s followers remind me of Adam and Eve. God specifically, directly and plainly told then that if they ate of the tree of knowledge of good and evil they would surely die. Well Harold Camping, i mean Satan came along and said, “you won’t surely die.” So instead of listening to God they listened to the Serpent; and wouldn’t ya’ know it? They died! Just as God said. Same thing here. God in flesh said no one knows the day, the hour, not the angels, not even Jesus Himself; only God. He also said (to His disciples) it’s not for you to know “times and seasons” which the Father fixed by his own authority. So instead of Camping’s followers believing God’s Word they chose to listen to Camping, and wouldn’t ya’ know it? Just as Jesus said. The world just keeps-a-turnin’ and Campings and his followers are still here.

nnmns

posted May 21, 2011 at 11:45 pm

I don’t blame people, especially some people who lost big time, for hating Harold Camping for his erroneous Bible proclamation(s).

But what about all the other Harold Campings who use the Bible to proclaim this and that but are afraid to make a testable proclamation like he did. They are even more scurrilous because they are at least as likely to be wrong, and claim to be as sure as he did, but don’t make a claim we can check. And a lot of them hurt more people.

What about the Howard Campings that proclaim God hates abortions even though abortion isn’t mentioned in the Bible, but their proclamations have the effect of denying abortions to women and families who need them.

What about the Howard Campings that proclaim God hates homosexuality even though Jesus never mentioned homosexuality and arguably it’s not condemned in the Bible? They’ve caused deaths of some homosexuals at the hands of deranged believers and denied homosexuals the benefits of marriage, which they deserve as much as anyone.

Syllogizer

posted May 22, 2011 at 11:52 am

nnms

You could not be more wrong. Homosexual behavior is most certainly condemned in the Bible and in the strongest terms. That is why even the first post Biblical Christian writers, even the disciples of the Apostles themselves (the Apostolic Fathers), condemned it also.

That is why Canon Law excommunicates these offenders until they are on their deathbed. Do not ignore this warning, you imperil your own salvation very greatly by doing so.

Tom

posted May 22, 2011 at 1:24 pm

One of the best articles on the subject and the best researched. Thanks

Benjamin A. Carey MD

posted May 22, 2011 at 3:40 pm

This is my third post and many of the posts are well written based upon scripture. I have some different thoughts that may be helpful.

From a psychiatric perspective, it appears to me that he has a Delusional Disorder of the Grandiose Type.
A delusional disorder is a fixed, false belief system in the absence of other overt psychotic symptoms such as hallucintions. DSM IV TR states the following: This subtype (grandisose) appplies when the central theme of the delusion is the conviction of having some great(but unrecognized) talent or insight or having some important discovery. Less commonly, the individual may have the delusion of having a special relationshop with a prominent person(eg, an advisor to the president) or being a prominent person (in which the actual person may be reagrded as an impostor). Grandisose delusions may have a religious content(eg, the person believes that he or she has a special message from a deity). Diagnostic and Statistical Manaul of the American Psychiatric Association Text Revistion DSM IV TR page 325.
The last time I heard his Open Forum in April was when I realized that he is delusional.
Let us all look out for false prophets such as Harold Camping and let us all stay in God’s Holy Word and be discerning os scripture (2 Timothy 3: 16-17).
God bless you.
Benjamin A. Carey MD
Psychiatrist and Christian

Raymond

posted May 22, 2011 at 7:17 pm

Interesting, the bible was written between 1657 BC and 98 AD, so Camping says that the flood was about 4990 BC. So that knowledge was stored up for 3333 years before being possibly included in the collection of works called the bible and that is assuming that it was done on the first day the bible was written, or compiled, or whatever.

What I need help with is the bible has not had anything added to it since the very last in 98 AD. But human knowledge has grown by leaps and bounds and I would venture to say by 10,000 fold since the bible was written. Some might say it was inspired writings, is the word of god, and nothing morally has occurred since then, well, surely there have been inspired people since then, and the other things are just debatable.

And why do 21st century humans give so much credence to this book? There is no science in it,(no real new concepts and no moral guidance that could not have been discovered or gotten from informed atheists), in spite of my having heard a female teleevangelist say the bible is filled with science facts, but did not name one, nor did she say where these science facts are located, so I can just dismiss her admonishments.

There are two different versions of the ten commandments and two stories of Adam and eve. Leviticus for the commandments and Genesis for Adam and eve. One eve story says that eve was formed from adam’s rib and the other syas that adam and eve were made at the same time. WTF!!!

My solution to these contradictions is just to remove the source. We no longer hold fairy tales as credible as we did when we were kids, so why the bible? Just grow up and throw away childish things.

eheffa

posted May 26, 2011 at 2:18 pm

Small quibble, since we’re attempting to distinguish truth from the fiction…

The canonical 2 Peter is a mid to late second century forgery written in the name of Peter but almost certainly not. This prompts a whole lot of other questions like how does forgery make it into the “word of god” or serve any good purpose? etc.; but, suffice it to say that this little book ain’t a reliable guide to anything one might label as the truth.

-evan

daily bible verses

posted May 28, 2011 at 10:39 am

this is really very interesting post, and comments are also very informative and interesting, Thank God I read that.

Ken

posted October 21, 2011 at 11:59 am

Camping is a NUT JOB and a terrorist scaring children and the weak minded!! WACK JOB!!

Katie Carlton

posted November 14, 2011 at 9:35 am

clearly this guy is a noob.

Angel

posted January 29, 2012 at 3:02 am

Hi ,it’s Jan 29th 2012,we’re still here for now and Harold Camping’s signs scared the crap out of my children.Do you think he should part with a little of that 122 million dolars he’s worth for scaring the children?

Pingback: Harold fatherly | Cheapdiningout

gay kids

posted June 26, 2014 at 3:36 pm

They still looks like he’s twenty-five. Amazing.