O Me of Little Faith

O Me of Little Faith

Your Turn: Best Books of the Year

posted by Jason Boyett

Simple questions today, and it’s up to you to provide the content for this post:

1. What is the best work of fiction you’ve read this year?

2. What’s the best work of nonfiction you’ve read this year?

3. What book are you reading right now?

My answers will appear in the comments. I hope yours will, too.

[H/T: Adam Ellis on Twitter]

Jason Boyett

posted November 16, 2010 at 8:54 am

1. Fiction — The Passage, by Justin Cronin. So good.
2. Nonfiction — I can’t decide between Found Art (by Leeanna Tankersley), Not That Kind of Girl (Carlene Bauer), and After Shock (Kent Annan…releases in 2011).
3. Right now I’m reading Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire (with my kids) and The Maze Runner (James Dashner).

Sarah@From Tolstoy to Tinkerbell

posted November 16, 2010 at 8:58 am

1. Catherine Fisher’s “Incarceron” which plays up the concept of reality, idealism. An under-appreciated work of fiction in the US.
2. This would be a tie between Rachel Held Evans’s “Evolving in Monkeytown” and Mary Demuth’s “Thin Places”
3. Currently reading, Julian of Norwich’s Showings and “An Altar to God: the Geography of Faith”

Crystal

posted November 16, 2010 at 9:03 am

I love this game!
1) The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo by Steig Larsson. I couldn’t put it down!
2) Either the Five Dysfunctions of a Team by Patrick Lencioni or Relationships Unfiltered by Andrew Root – very different books, and each so good for very different reasons.
3) Almost Christian: What the Faith of Our Teenagers is Telling the American Church by Kenda Creasy Dean and The Book Thief by Markus Zusak

tsholo

posted November 16, 2010 at 9:10 am

1. The Thirtieth Candle by Angela Makholwa
2. i re-read Donald Miller’s Blue Like Jazz again recently and loved it all over again
3. Eat. Pray. Love. – Elizabeth Gilbert

Dustin

posted November 16, 2010 at 9:37 am

1. The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo-Steig Larsson
2. Chasing Daylight-Erwin McManus
3. The Hole in our Gospel-Rich Stearns

Anne

posted November 16, 2010 at 9:54 am

1. Fiction: The Help – Katheryn Stockett
2. Non-Fiction: Eat, Pray, Love – Elizabeth Gilbert
3. Current: Just finished The Hunger Games series by Suzanne Collins. (Awesome for teens and adults with themes of government control, ‘big brother’, and personal independence.)
Next on my list is Blue Like Jazz by Don Miller.

Adam Ellis

posted November 16, 2010 at 10:09 am

1. TIE: The Hunger Games (Trilogy) by Suzanne Collins, and The Road by Cormac McCarthy
-Runners up in the pure fun category: “Ex-Heroes” by Peter Clines…Superheroes AND Zombies…I’m just saying) and “Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter” by Seth Grahame-Smith (self-explanatory)
2. Strength In What Remains by Tracy Kidder (This book was amazing. I can’t say enough good things about it.)
-Runners up: “Evolving In Monkey Town” by Rachel Held Evans, “Hear No Evil” by Matthew Paul Turner, and “O Me of Little Faith” by Jason Boyett
3. Currently reading: “The Myth of Certainty” by Daniel Taylor (re-reading, because it’s actually THAT good), and “The Passage” by Justin Cronin
I’m a bit indecisive at times ;)

Josh Wood

posted November 16, 2010 at 10:16 am

1. Fiction: Llama Llama Red Pajama.
2. Nonfiction: The Outliers by Malcolm Gladwell. Parenting Beyond Your Capacity by Reggie Joiner & Carey Nieuwhof is a close second.
3. Currently reading: Saving Freedom by Jim Demint and The Richest Man Who Ever Lived by Steven K. Scott.

Carole Turner

posted November 16, 2010 at 10:19 am

1. Fiction- Priceless by Tom Davis
(I reviewed this for Burnside Writers http://burnsidewriters.com/2010/06/21/book-review-priceless-by-tom-davis )
2. Non-fiction- Renting Lacy by Linda Smith (also reviewed this one for Burnside but hasn’t been published yet)
3. Reading now- Bird by Bird by Anne Lamont

Drew Smith

posted November 16, 2010 at 11:07 am

1. I don’t read fiction very much anymore
2. (1)Like Adam, I just finished re-reading The Myth of Certainty(outstanding book)(2) Disturbing Divine Behavior: Troubling OT Images of God by Eric Seibert (I would strongly recommend this book to anyone trying to reconcile certain portrayels of God in the OT with the “Prince of Peace” we see in Jesus. I cannot stress how helpful this book was for me.)(3) The Historical Christ and the Theological Jesus by Dale Allison.
3. Currently reading: The Blue Parakeet by Scot Mcknight.
4. Want to Read: (1)The Many Faces of God: When Scritpure Gets God Wrong (And How Innerancy Tries to Hide it) by Thom Stark (2)Patience With God: The Story of Zacchaeus Continuing in Us by Thomas Halik (3) Discovering the God Imagination:Reconstructing a whole New Christianity by Jonathan Brink (4)Constructing Jesus:Memory, Imagination, and History by Dale Allison (5)The Agnostic Inquirer: Revelation From a Philosophical Standpoint

Charlie Chang

posted November 16, 2010 at 11:30 am

1. What is the best work of fiction you’ve read this year?
O me of little faith :) j/k. I started rereading Lord of the Flies again. It’s a hot.
2. What’s the best work of nonfiction you’ve read this year?
Seth Godin’s – Linchpin: Are you indispensable? was a great read on not waiting for an opportunity to do great work while at work.
3. What book are you reading right now?
Right now I’m reading Fast Food Nation and Stirring it up:How to make money and save the planet.
nicodemusatnite.blogspot.com

David N.

posted November 16, 2010 at 11:59 am

1. Tender is the Night – F. Scott Fitzgerald
2. Evolving in Monkey Town – Rachel Held Evans
3. Miracles – C.S. Lewis, Church History in Plain Language – Bruce Shelley

kerry

posted November 16, 2010 at 2:50 pm

1. Fiction: “The Valley” by Gayle Friesen; I read it a second time as soon as I’d finished it the first time. I’ve never done that before.
2. Nonfiction: “Prayer” by Phillip Yancey. It took a while to get through the book, but it was worth it.
3. Currently reading: “The Tiger Claw” by Shauna Singh Baldwin (chilling, amazing, tragic — about Noor Inayat Khan, an Indian-born British WW2 spy who was captured by the Nazis); “Church on the Other Side” by Brian McLaren (meh); and my Bible (like, I’m actually trying to read it like a book).

Cara

posted November 16, 2010 at 3:41 pm

1. The Hunger Games (totally blew me away)
2. Rescuing the Bible from Fundamentalism (really really good book – it was part of my reading 1 book on Jesus oer week during Lent and was my favorite)
3. Gregor the Overlander (excellent so far)

Scott

posted November 16, 2010 at 3:43 pm

1. Fiction: “Little Bee.”
2. Non-Fiction: “It’s Really All About God: Reflections of a Muslim Atheist Jewish Christian,” by Samir Selmanovic. Life changing.
3. Reading now: “The Sacredness of Questioning Everything,” by David Dark. Superbly written. The title really says it all.

Catherine

posted November 16, 2010 at 4:28 pm

Fiction: ‘The Great Gatsby’. Can’t believe I reached my 60s without reading this strange and wonderful book.
Non-fiction: ‘Affluenza’ by Oliver James.
Now: ‘A new kind of Christian’ by Brian Mclaren plus ‘A Presumption of Death’ by Jill Paton Walsh.

Jami Leigh

posted November 16, 2010 at 4:38 pm

Fiction – If you give a pig a pancake -Laura Joffe Numeroff
Non-Fiction – Out Live Your Life -Max Lucado
Now- You Were Born For This -Bruce Wilkinson

bashtree

posted November 16, 2010 at 5:04 pm

Fiction: Unexpectedly, Milo (the protagonist is weird. Comfortingly weird.)
Non-fiction: MPT’s books Churched and Hear No Evil
The one I would have listed above if I knew which category would be most appropriate: Jarrettsville (a true, generations-old family story fleshed out novel-style)
Now: Sexless in the City (and OMOLF)

David

posted November 16, 2010 at 6:37 pm

Fiction: Gilead by Marilynne Robinson (one of my favorites of all time)
Non: The Reason for God by Timothy Keller
Current: World War Z by Max Brooks (hard to put down, but the images won’t leave my brain… bad combo).

lorinda

posted November 16, 2010 at 6:47 pm

Fiction: The Help by Kathryn Stockett
Non-fiction: The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks by Rebecca Skloot
Now: Unwind by Neal Shusterman

Tess Malloy

posted November 16, 2010 at 7:52 pm

FICTION: I have just discovered Janet Evanovich and quickly read all 16 of her books! My favorite is PLUM SPOOKY which involves a crazy monkey. All of her books are quirky and hysterically funny.
NONFICTION: O ME OF LITTLE FAITH by amazing Jason Boyett. Thought-provoking, compassionate, eye-opening, and strangely comforting. :) You rock, Jason!
Current: Just finished Maybe Next Time, by Jennifer Crusie, who is mostly known as a humorous romance author, but this book is actually a ghost story that I read every night for 3 nights and each night after I got through with that section, I was afraid to get up and go to the bathroom because the two of the ghosts really creeped me out!!

Joshua

posted November 16, 2010 at 9:19 pm

1. The Border Trilogy – Cormac McCarthy – Utterly heart stopping trilogy. The only thing I’ve read that even comes close to this is the Lord of the Rings trilogy. McCarthy is why I don’t read other fiction. He is the best living author in America right now. Period.
2. Toss up between The Confessions of St. Augustine and The Ragamuffin Gospel. Neither should need explanation.
3. Currently reading Suttree, by McCarthy, Bible, Paradise Lost, Gilgamesh, Kingdom of the Cults, History of Socialism and various Tolkien works.

Don

posted November 16, 2010 at 11:03 pm

Fiction: “The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo” by Stieg Larsson “The Strain” by Chuck Hogan & Guillermo Del Toro & “Columbine” by Dave Cullen
Non-Fiction: “What’s So Amazing About Grace” by Philip Yancey
Reading Now: “O me of little faith” by some guy named Jason Boyett? & “The Girl Who Kicked The Hornet’s Nest” by Stieg Larsson (i HIGHLY recommend “I Know This Much Is True” by Wally Lamb)

Mentanna

posted November 17, 2010 at 8:57 am

1. i discovered Wendell Berry this year and if you haven’t read him you had better get started!!!! oh my gosh!!!! he has to be one of the most gifted writers i have ever read. Andy Catlett was the first one i picked up but there is a ton of stuff by this guy, even poetry.
2. Mere Churchianity by michael spencer. i just liked this book because it made me not feel so alone in my thoughts on church and life in God.
3. i’m reading, are you ready for this list (i have a nasty habit of reading several books at the same time), henri nouwens LIfe in the Beloved; c.s lewis The Boy and His Horse (reading that aloud to my boys); Soul Talk by Larry Crabb; Dallas Willard’s The Great Omission; and my guilty pleasure re-read, Redeeming Love by Francine Rivers.

Mh

posted November 17, 2010 at 9:29 am

“The World Set Free” by H.G. Wells. The politics are a bit wacky, the description of bi-planes dropping nuclear weapons is comical. BUT this was written before WWI, so it is prescient about how technology changed the nature of war, its costs, and man’s need to control his aggression. He also discussed the idea of man-made elements well before this was ever accomplished.
“The Dream of Reason” by Anthony Gottlieb. This is a good summary of the history of philosophy and introduces major players and their accomplishments. It helped me tie together various strains of thought I’ve encountered and know some of their origins.
“The Wisdom of Crowds” by James Surowiecki. The author sites studies which provide interesting insights into when and how groups become better at decision making than individuals. He also discusses when the reverse happens and groups fall into the pitfall of group think and make bad decisions no individual member would make.

Christopher Scott