O Me of Little Faith

O Me of Little Faith

God in a Nightie

posted by Jason Boyett

sistinechapel.jpg

I’ve looked at the “Creation of Adam” fresco on the ceiling of the Sistine Chapel multiple times. When I do, my eye is always drawn to the iconic image of the hand of God doing the ET thing with Adam, or to Adam’s, uh, first fruits.

(Admit it: you looked, too.)

But for some reason yesterday I was looking at the full image and just realized something I had never noticed before: that God, in Michaelangelo’s most famous painting, is wearing a pink nightie.

A. Pink. Nightie.

We Christians are always so quick to complain about how God is treated in our culture. I’m surprised that we let this one go. Surely Michaelangelo could have chosen more flattering sleepwear for the Almighty.

————

Reminder: Click here to subscribe to O Me of Little Faith, and click here to follow me on Twitter.

Alise

posted May 22, 2010 at 7:03 am

I can’t look at this picture without thinking of the Bluth family recreation of it. George Michael in a pair of cut-offs playing Adam is pretty well burned in my brain for all eternity.

Memarie Lane

posted May 22, 2010 at 9:13 am

And yet He neither slumbers nor sleeps.

Jason Boyett

posted May 22, 2010 at 9:30 am

A very good point, Memarie. Clearly Michelangelo was working from some flawed theology.

mouseypapesh

posted May 22, 2010 at 11:34 am

Sometimes being color blind has it’s advantages. Thank You for helping me know the color of that gown. I like Michelangelo’s paintings, though I never really get to fully enjoy the full color effects of them.
G_D Bless you, Jason and all.

Lauren

posted May 22, 2010 at 11:58 am

Well, pink IS very flattering on the Almighty. :)

Geoff Hawkes

posted May 23, 2010 at 3:19 am

What makes me sad, when I look at the pic is God’s obvious eagerness to reach Adam and Adam’s “well, OK then” attitude toward Him.
Isn’t that how it is today, too?

Geoff

posted May 23, 2010 at 5:16 pm

Here we go again, you seem to have a knack of prodding my “interesting” button :)
A pink nightie…well you can hardly blame him! Can you imagine being there, having made a decision to paint God himself, and trying to work out how big to make his biceps? So does God have a sixpack? Does he have a navel? The implications are strewn with theological implications, a pink nightie seems to cut through nicely to “He’s just God, OK?” :)
One theory behind the picture is that heaven, God and the rest, the whole right hand side of it, are actually a cross-section representation of the human brain. Human dissection was a bit of a no-no at the time, and what with Michaelangelo being a bit of a polymath it may well have been that he saw a secret autopsy and decided to represent the human brain and God as a single entity. There’s a certain elegance to it, you have to admit.
(Amusing aside: the Captcha for this is “habit rumbled”!)

Leigh

posted May 25, 2010 at 1:33 pm

I totally thought of George and Buster Bluth. I also thought of Tobias and his never-nude shorts. Ahh.. Arrested Development you permeate every part of my life.

Kenn

posted May 26, 2010 at 5:10 am

When I visited the Sistine Chapel, I was surprised that the famous bit with Adam is only a part of the whole fresco. I couldn’t help laughing on seeing Michelangelo’s depiction of God’s butt.