O Me of Little Faith

O Me of Little Faith

Seussian Questions

posted by Jason Boyett

Today is the birthday of Theodor Geisel, who was born on March 2, 1904. I was a huge Dr. Seuss fan when I was a kid. His Happy Birthday to You! remains one of my favorite books of all time. Its illustrations bring back a whole bunch of warm, fuzzy memories. It’s my Proustian madeleine, if you’ll allow me to make such a nerdy English major allusion.

Anyway, I figure today is a good day for some reader feedback and discussion. Thus, three questions for you to answer in the comments:

——————

1. What is your favorite Dr. Seuss book?

2. What is your favorite breakfast food?

3. What bad habit are you proudest of having broken?

——————

My answers kick things off below.

Jason Boyett

posted March 2, 2010 at 11:12 am

1. As previously mentioned, Happy Birthday to You! was my favorite. But I was also quite drawn to Yertle the Turtle and Other Stories (like the one about Gertrude McFuzz, which my own kids love). In fact, I managed to spend a couple of paragraphs in O Me of Little Faith talking about Yertle.2. My favorite breakfast food is a tie between egg & cheese burritos (with potatoes or chorizo sausage) and French toast. I'll find a way to have either of these on a weekly basis.3. Until a few years ago, I used to drink a Dr. Pepper every day. Never more than that — my parents wouldn't let me drink more than one a day as a kid, and I continued that limit as an adult — but a 12 oz. can of DP was a regular part of my daily life. But I quit. Today I'll drink maybe one every month, and occasionally I don't even finish that one. So my soft drink consumption is down to virtually nothing. For what it's worth, I think my example is paying off: neither of our kids drinks soda. At all. And without complaint. I'm pretty proud of that. :)

Emily

posted March 2, 2010 at 11:19 am

1- Wocket in my Pocket. had the whole thing memorized as a child and regularly quote from it as an adult. sad, i know.2- Green eggs and ham… jokes. waffles, with butter and syrup.3- reading blogs while at work… jokes. watching TV when bored.

Amy

posted March 2, 2010 at 11:42 am

1. My favorite has always been One Fish Two Fish Red Fish Blue Fish. In fact, for a while there in high school, I had it memorized.2. My favorite breakfast food used to be pancakes. I loved them. I could eat them all the time. And then I got really sick after eating pancakes (for a completely unrelated reason that ended up involving 2 surgeries) and now I can't even think about them without feeling a little queazy. It makes me sad. So I'll have to go with the classic bacon, eggs, toast & hashbrowns.3. I get bored easily and don't tend to form habits (good or bad). Perhaps my need for variety is a habit I should work on breaking…

Amy B.

posted March 2, 2010 at 12:07 pm

1. Fox in Socks. I can still hear my dad reading each page in a different silly voice…2. Breakfast burrito and hash browns – be they homemade, breakfast joint, or even McDonald's.3. Cussing. I went through a phase right after high school when my mouth would make a sailor blush. Then I decided I had to stop, and so I did.

Matthew H. John

posted March 2, 2010 at 2:14 pm

1. Oh, the Place You'll Go is probably my favorite. I think I received a copy for eighth grade graduation.2. Sourdough French toast is, by far, my favorite breakfast food. I'm salivating now.3. And thanks, Jason, for making me feel all self-conscious. ;-) Here I am, nursing a 20 ounce bottle of Dr. Pepper so I'll stay awake for the afternoon. … Attending graduate school and working nearly full time has a way of adversely affecting my eating and pop-drinking habits. Anyway. I have ceased altogether of biting my fingernails. I don't remember when it happened. And I certainly didn't try to stop. I just did. If only all my vices were so easy to overcome.

rf

posted March 2, 2010 at 2:29 pm

1) Green Eggs and Ham (especially the Jesse Jackson cameo reading of it on SNL years ago)2) Steak and Eggs – Rare and Over Light3) Unfortunately, I still have ALL of my bad habits.

bondChristian

posted March 2, 2010 at 3:04 pm

1. How the Grinch Stole Christmas2. Fried rice (actually, it's one of my favorites all the time) and chorizo (Mexican sausage)… I love that you put that too. It's awe-mazing.3. Picking my nose… but I don't go around bragging about breaking that one too much. :)-Marshall Jones Jr.

Rob Swick

posted March 2, 2010 at 3:47 pm

1) The Lorax. Nothing like a dose of morality in your children's novels.2) Waffles. I love me some waffles.3) candy bar obsession. Used to be one a day, not a joke.

Matt @ The Church of No People

posted March 2, 2010 at 5:09 pm

I loved Yertle the Turtle (and other stories) and Cat in the Hat. They were such perfect little parables.Biscuits and gravy are the best for breakfast.I've been cutting down on coffee lately.

Jason/J-Ra/J

posted March 2, 2010 at 5:51 pm

Well, the first thing I have to say is to Matthew H. John. You mistakenly said pop when it's obvious you meant soda. I had a roommate from CO Springs that I had to correct all the time. You're forgiven.Anyhoo…1) Probably Oh the Places You'll Go (which was the theme for either my 8th or 12th grade graduation.2) The perfect breakfast: Eggs, over medium, on top of hash browns, with a side of biscuits with gravy and bacon. And if I lost weight while eating this, that'd be great, too.3) I don't know if I can say that ceasing to drink coffee all the time is a broken bad habit since I only stopped drinking it all the time because I graduated college. But I can't think of anything else, so: drinking coffee all the time.

Nicole

posted March 2, 2010 at 8:45 pm

Great questions! Here are my answers:1. It's a tie between The Lorax and There's a Wocket in my Pocket. Love them both very much.2. My favorite breakfast food is hash browns. They go with a lot of things (like eggs Benedict–another favorite), and with a little ketchup or seasoning salt take on a different flavor.3. I'm proudest of having broken my habit of sucking my thumb. I was still a child when I broke that habit, but it went on too long.

Janna

posted March 2, 2010 at 11:41 pm

1. Grinch2. Blueberry Waffles3. Can't think of a bad habit right now.

Jeremy

posted March 3, 2010 at 1:58 pm

1. The 500 Hats of Bartholomew Cubbins2. Biscuits and Gravy3. Excessive Speeding

aldrichdesign

posted March 3, 2010 at 2:33 pm

1. Horton Hears a Who (because a person's a person, no matter how small)Speaking of great Suessical thoughts, this has to be my all time favorite quote by anyone: "Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind."2. Really good french toast grilled in lotsa buddah with real maple syrup and a good dark roast cup of coffee.3. Might be easier to list the ones I want to give up.

Dan Lewis

posted March 3, 2010 at 8:42 pm

1. I think it's a toss up between "Hop on Pop" and "One Fish, Two Fish, Red Fish, Blue Fish" Both were great and full of random goodness.2. My favorite breakfast food is ham, egg, and cheese on a croissant. Yummy.3. I quit biting my fingernails.

Tyson

posted March 5, 2010 at 8:54 am

1. I swear this to be true: I have never read a single Dr. Seuss book. I have perused a few since I have had kids, but I have never read through one. I was more an Encyclopedia Brown kinda guy on Library day in elementary.2. Pancakes, sausage, & eggs.(with lots of syrup … on it all)3. I spent the better part of six years "out of church". I let work & distractions (mostly sleep) get in the way. We've been back in church since we started a family, and we are now teaching the Middle School class as well as involved in several other ministries. Happy to say that I am now using the gifts God has given to further His kingdom.