O Me of Little Faith

O Me of Little Faith

O Me of Little Faith Mad Libs

posted by Jason Boyett

So I have a new contest idea. While reading for my audiobook last week, I was pleasantly re-introduced to one of my favorite sentences from the upcoming book. I smiled when I read it, and I remembered that one of my early readers (my sister, who has just started blogging and it’s about freaking time) had marked it with a happy face on an early draft. So I thought I’d post the sentence here…only Mad Lib style.

That’s right: I’ll give you the parts of speech, and your job is to fill in the blanks.

The most creative entry will win a two-book prize: a copy of Picking Dandelions (the great new title from Sarah Cunningham) and a signed copy of my own Pocket Guide to the Bible.

Here’s the Mad Lib sentence, with a little context to help you out:

—————–

The practice of praying in my head — of lining up stray thoughts to present them to God in an official, well-reasoned and coherent manner — is like (verb ending in -ing) (plural noun) with a (noun) on a/an (place) (noun).

—————–

Sample entry #1: …is like plucking eyebrows with a cherrypicker on a restroom countertop.

Sample entry #2: …is like hammering nails with a screwdriver on a Texas highway.

To be clear, I’m not judging based on how close you come to my original sentence, which I’m sure won’t be nearly as entertaining as these submissions. Nor am I judging by whether or not your entry makes sense, or matches the context, or helps me overcome my prayer challenges, or anything else. I’m only judging by creativity.

Because creativity is good. And good writing is good. Especially when you’re writing about the difficulties of prayer.

Have fun. Entries will be closed at 9 am tomorrow (Tuesday, Feb. 23).

swimsutra

posted February 22, 2010 at 6:36 am

…is like shoveling snowflakes with a fork on a blizzard-bombarded-Baltimore street.

Nicodemus at Nite

posted February 22, 2010 at 6:50 am

is like pooping marbles with an Elmo doll on a Senate committee.

Brandon Sneed

posted February 22, 2010 at 7:35 am

…is like herding Jack Russell Terriers with a hockey stick on a beach.

Bryan Allain

posted February 22, 2010 at 8:21 am

is like pocketing chicken meat with a spatula on a McDonald's back room counter.

Lauree

posted February 22, 2010 at 8:58 am

The practice of praying in my head — of lining up stray thoughts to present them to God in an official, well-reasoned and coherent manner — is like herding cats with a laser pointer on a glass company truck rack.

Amy

posted February 22, 2010 at 9:43 am

Is like milking mice with a turkey baster on a trampoline.

Kelsey

posted February 22, 2010 at 10:08 am

… is like digging a hole to China with a plastic beach shovel on the top of Mount St Helens.

Danny Bixby

posted February 22, 2010 at 10:45 am

…is like soothing velociraptors with an airhorn on a fault line.

Snannon

posted February 22, 2010 at 12:01 pm

is like collecting stray birds with a lobster trap on a crashing airplane.

Denise

posted February 22, 2010 at 12:34 pm

…is like shearing sheep with a lightsaber on a Six Flags roller coaster.

Rob Swick

posted February 22, 2010 at 1:23 pm

is like popping zits with a compass on a high school bus.(Paying homage to Chris Farley)

Chris Waluk

posted February 22, 2010 at 2:03 pm

…is like washing down a couple McGangbangs with a milkshake on a triathlon.

scott jesko

posted February 22, 2010 at 2:30 pm

The practice of praying in my head — of lining up stray thoughts to present them to God in an official, well-reasoned and coherent manner — is like soaping myself with a pope on a heavenly rope.

Claygirlsings

posted February 22, 2010 at 2:45 pm

is like vomitting picture frames with a tiger on a desert hockey rink.

Justin

posted February 22, 2010 at 3:52 pm

is like riding llamas with an oversized unibrow on a chilly August morning.

Nathan

posted February 22, 2010 at 4:45 pm

. . . is like eating tater tots with a chopstick on a roller coaster.

Brian in BC

posted February 22, 2010 at 5:42 pm

is like re-animating gophers with a 9-volt battery on a trampoline.

Brian in BC

posted February 22, 2010 at 5:45 pm

Wow…I posted before I read the other responses…looks like Amy and I are both on a trampoline…doing strange things to small animals…weird coincidence or profound spiritual truth? I fear the former, but am intrigued by the latter.

dkamfam

posted February 22, 2010 at 8:35 pm

is like twirling matches with a fork on a desert island.

Amanda Grace

posted February 22, 2010 at 9:33 pm

…is like catching dust motes with a fly swatter on a windy day.

Matt Nolson

posted February 22, 2010 at 10:46 pm

The practice of praying in my head — of lining up stray thoughts to present them to God in an official, well-reasoned and coherent manner — is like flying kites with a Filipino on a burning iceberg.

Theresa E

posted February 23, 2010 at 12:47 am

like catching water droplets with the eye of a needle in outer space.

Stretch Mark Mama

posted February 23, 2010 at 2:16 am

The practice of praying in my head — of lining up stray thoughts to present them to God in an official, well-reasoned and coherent manner — is like… …chasing chickens with a chainsaw on an ice skating rink.

bobfromchicago

posted February 23, 2010 at 6:53 am

The practice of praying in my head — of lining up stray thoughts to present them to God in an official, well-reasoned and coherent manner — is like catching flies with chopsticks on a Niagra Falls tightrope.

Paul Batson

posted February 23, 2010 at 7:53 am

…is like choosing words with creativity on a Jason Boyett blog.

Kev

posted February 23, 2010 at 7:56 am

…is like picketing rickets with a cricket in a thicket….or, like flipping flapjacks with a flatiron on a flight to Florida……or…. dare I go on? :)

John Armstrong

posted February 23, 2010 at 8:20 am

is like coalescing ruminations with a convoluted psyche.

John Armstrong

posted February 23, 2010 at 8:43 am

I know my previous answer didn't follow the specific grammatical rules so I will try again . . .is like resuscitating invertebrates with a barbiturate on a floodgate.

Kev

posted February 23, 2010 at 8:52 am

ooh! Like buffaloing buffalo with a buffalo on a buffalo (…in Buffalo?)Hilarious explanation: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Buffalo_buffaloThis is fun.

Jason Boyett

posted February 23, 2010 at 8:55 am

Wow, Kev. Thanks for that link. Buffaloing Buffalo buffalo! Awesome.

Kev

posted February 23, 2010 at 8:58 am

…which I guess — if you can use noun phrases instead of nouns — could be written:…like buffaloing Buffalo buffalo with a Buffalo buffalo Buffalo buffalo buffalo on a Buffalo buffalo Buffalo buffalo buffalo.Feel free to disregard all my entries after the first one, this is just fun :)