O Me of Little Faith

O Me of Little Faith

Spill Your Guts about Christmas

posted by Jason Boyett

Let’s do something fun. If today’s blog post is interesting at all, it will be up to you. Why? Because I want you to finish the following sentences in the comments section.

————-

1. The first Christmas present I remember getting was ____________ .

2. My family prefers to open gifts on _____________ because _____________ .

3. Christmas is _____________ .

————-

I’ll start it off with my own answers. Then it’s your turn.

Jason Boyett

posted December 16, 2009 at 8:56 am

1. The first Christmas present I remember getting was a complete Dallas Cowboys football outfit, including helmet, pants, shoulder pads, and jersey. My little brother and I spent the next week dressed as football players.2. My family prefers to open gifts on Christmas Eve because Christmas Day is for rifling through your presents from Santa. And for eating. And for playing with the stuff you got the night before.3. Christmas is one of my favorite holidays due to the time away from work, the time spent with family, and the fun traditions wrapped up around it. But I get tired of Christmas songs around Dec. 5.

grjoshua

posted December 16, 2009 at 9:07 am

1. The first Christmas present I remember getting was Pound Puppies pajamas & matching bedding when I was 5. (Does anybody else remember those guys?)2. My family prefers to open gifts on Christmas morning because the anticipation is the best part.3. Christmas is joy. Celebration of the Savior's birth and experiencing the joy of giving – both in presents and love – is awesome.

Claygirlsings

posted December 16, 2009 at 9:55 am

1. The first Christmas present I remember is a Marie Osmond barbie doll on skates or the Donny Osmond ken doll, also on skates. I got one and my sister got the other, but I can't remember which.2. My family prefers to open gifts as slowly as possible on Christmas day. We're sometimes finishing around 1:00 pm. It's to draw out the anticipation as long as possible. I was stunned the first time at my in-laws, when they blew threw presents by 6:00 am. There was nothing else to do the rest of the day.3. Christmas is: family, cookies, music, laughter, a roaring fire in the fireplace, reading by just the lights of the tree, oranges in the toes of stockings, Mom's stollen bread, Grandma, the smell of fresh snow, secrets, believing in Santa – then making Mom & Dad think we still believed, remembering the birth of the Christ-child.

posted December 16, 2009 at 9:57 am

1. The MOBAT. http://www.yojoe.com/vehicles/82/mobat/ I know of some things I got before that, but I think those memories are from photographs. This is the first time I remember opening a Christmas present.2. My wife is a medical resident, so we open presents when she is not at work. This year she will go in at 7AM Christmas day and won't return till 12Noon on the 26th. Growing up we always got/opened presents Christmas morning.3. Like Easter, but colder.

Kevin B.

posted December 16, 2009 at 10:36 am

1. The first christmas present I remember getting was socks and underwear. Tighty whities and tube socks.2. We always openened one present on Christmas eve and the rest Christmas morning. It was a horrid torrid mess with piles of wrapping paper appearing in minutes3. Christmas is the worst holiday in my opinion. I love the birth of Christ but lets admit it, Christ wasn't really born on Dec 25th and we use His birth as an excuse to get and give lots of presents. I lived my whole life seeming to only getting what I deserved and Christmas just proved to me that I didn't deserve much.

Saskia

posted December 16, 2009 at 10:49 am

1. The first Christmas present I remember getting was a book. In fact, that's pretty much all I ever get.2. My family prefers to open gifts on Christmas morning because Christmas eve is for singing songs and reading Twas the Night Before Christmas and The Polar Express. That is, in the years we do Christmas presents. In the Netherlands, we traditionally celebrate St Nicholas instead of Christmas (Christians will go to church on Christmas, and everyone gets off and goes to their families, but no presents). So in those years, we open gifts on the evening of December 5th.3. Christmas is somewhat of a hassle – not only am I the only Christian in my family, with a different understanding of Christmas than the rest, my parents are divorced and my sisters and I spend the two days of Christmas (the Dutch do First Christmas Day (the 25th) and Second Christmas Day (the 26th) running around the country so we can visit both parents and maybe grandparents as well. This year Christmas got extended to three days to accomodate all the visiting and trainriding we'll have to do.

wvpv

posted December 16, 2009 at 11:40 am

1. I remember being most excited about Lego stuff.2. I grew up doing it on Christmas morning, but my wife's family has always done it on Christmas Eve. What kid doesn't want to open gifts on Christmas Eve? Stockings are on Christmas morning. 3. Christmas = rest. I look forward to Christmas every year for the break from work, honestly. I'm usually a Scrooge until I'm done with work. I anticipate spending a week+ with my in-laws in MN. I like them.

Kevin D. Hendricks

posted December 16, 2009 at 12:12 pm

1) First Christmas present I remember: G.I. Joe. Like Chad, I probably got the Mobat, as well as a bunch of original 3 3/4 G.I. Joe guys (back when they all dressed in Army green). Those were the first Christmas presents I remember getting and playing with, though like Chad, I have photo-enhanced memories of earlier Christmas presents.2) Growing up my family opened presents on Christmas morning. That's the only way to do it. Now that I've got kids, we open presents on Thanksgiving with one side of the family, Christmas morning with another side of the family and somewhere a few days before Christmas with the wife and kids. It's a little nuts trying to get all that Christmas in with family spread across 1,000 miles.3. Christmas is fun.

Dan

posted December 16, 2009 at 12:17 pm

1. I remember getting a baseball bat, a helmet, and a ball. I don't even think I got a glove that year, but you'd have thought I hit the jackpot anyway.2. Christmas Day. Now that I'm an adult, we open the gifts first thing in the morning because the kids are really excited.3. A great celebration, as long as it isn't too commercial. My family struggles with that sometimes, to be honest.

Steve J

posted December 16, 2009 at 12:47 pm

1. The first Christmas present I remember getting was jammies. I got them every year on Christmas eve.2. My family prefers to open gifts on Christmas Day because my wife says so (and I support her in that).3. Christmas is time when we trivialize the most spiritual things and pretend that we are really going to focus on our Savior because we feel guilty for having spent too much on our own desires. Of course we say things like Christmas is about peace (while we shout at people for stealing our parking space); and hope (as we put ourselves deeper into debt); and love (as we despise the person who took the white elephant gift we so wanted to bring home). Sorry for the downer, but you said to spill my guts.

John Armstrong

posted December 16, 2009 at 1:18 pm

1. The first Christmas present I remember getting was Stars Wars action figures and a Death Star playset with the trash compactor that really compacts. If I remember correctly it came with trash (little foam blocks).2. My family opens one gift on Christmas eve and the rest on Christmas morning.3. The Christmas season is my favorite time of year because of time spent with family, the baking and consuming of numerous goodies, and watching my kids reactions on Christmas morning. My wife and I enjoy getting gifts for as many family members as we can but this year we both gasped at the final total. When you spread out your gift buying I guess you don't realize how it is adding up. There may be some changes in our gift buying next year.

J

posted December 16, 2009 at 3:51 pm

1. The first Christmas present I remember getting was A little radio walk man when I was five. I don’t remember much before that. I received the gift of music that year and I am forever thankful!2. My family prefers to open gifts on Christmas Eve because we’re Hispanic and all our Christmas Celebration is actually on Christmas Eve. On Christmas day we usually go to the movies! :)3. Christmas is a great time of the year. It seems like most people get into the Christmas spirit and that is something that I personally miss the rest of the year. “Good will toward all men” and all that stuff should be applied all the time, not just at Christmas.

Maria D. @ DownrightDomesticity

posted December 16, 2009 at 9:36 pm

1. The first Christmas present I remember getting was a Littlest Pet Shop set (when they didn't look so stupid) and a can of bath foam. Which I promptly use to douse the Littlest Pet Shop animals.2. My family prefers to open gifts from friends and relatives on Christmas Eve, and presents from the immediate family on Christmas Day. Don't ask me why.3. Christmas is way different, now that I live 1800 miles away from my family. But hey, now I get to spend it with my husband, so it's all right in the end!

Tess Mallory

posted December 17, 2009 at 12:57 am

1. The first Christmas present I remember getting was a little blue ceramic bird. I was four years old and I got it in my stocking. Then a couple of days later my mom and I went on a train (!!) to Kentucky because her father was sick, and she couldn't bear to leave me at home with my dad and sisters, cuz I was little. I still remember that train ride.2. My family prefers to open gifts on Christmas morning because that's how my mom did it, and I passed that on to my children. The hard part is that now the two girls are married and they have Christmas mornings at their own homes. :((( 3. Christmas is not as much fun as when my kids were little, and sure not as much fun as when I was little, but my granddaughter is now four and I can't wait to see her face this Christmas! Of course, it's not the same because she won't be waking up here on Christmas morning. BUT I still will look forward to her enjoyment.

Matt@Split-Life

posted December 17, 2009 at 2:07 am

1. The first Christmas present I remember getting was an old beat-up metal detector that my dad probably bought at a garage sale. It came with a letter from "Santa" claiming that it was given to him by a gold miner who didn't need it anymore because he had, "struck it rich".2. My family prefers to open gifts on Christmas day because, well, that's when people open presents.3. Christmas is my friend.