O Me of Little Faith

O Me of Little Faith

Stupid Fun with Song Lyrics

posted by Jason Boyett

Sometimes, because I’m a nerd, I amuse myself by listening to song lyrics and replacing the actual words with other words. What I’ve discovered is that 1) this often makes songs more interesting, and 2) other people do this, too.

Some examples:

Replace the word “you” with a person’s name. Like Stu, or Drew, or Hugh.

U2: Sleight of hand and twist of fate/On a bed of nails she makes me wait/And I wait…without Drew (with or without Drew)

Coldplay: Look at the stars / Look how they shine for Hugh

Britney Spears: When I’m not with Stu I lose my mind / Give me a sign, hit me baby one more time

——–

Replace the word “you” with Stu AND replace the word “me” with Steve.

Britney Spears: When I’m not with Stu I lose my mind / Give me a sign, hit Steve baby one more time

——–

Replace the word “you” with stew. As in the hearty soup.

Kelly Clarkson: My life (my life) would suck (would suck) without stew

Michael Jackson: I just can’t stop loving stew

——–

Speaking of stew, replace the word “love” with lunch.

John Mayer: Cause if you want lunch / We’ll make it

Peter Gabriel: Lunch…I don’t like to see so much pain / So much wasted

Haddaway: What is lunch? / Baby don’t hurt me/ Don’t hurt me no more

——–

Replace the word “baby” with gravy.

Diana Ross: Gravy love, my gravy love / I need you, oh how I need you / But all you do is treat me bad

——–

Replace the phrase “polaroid picture” with a pal of Roy Richter.

Outkast: Shake it, shake it like a pal of Roy Richter, shake it, shake it…

——–

(Granted, there are times I may stretch the game a bit too far.)

This is admittedly a dumb blog post, but I’m guessing you people have some favorite song-lyric word replacements. Please share.

[H/T: Jason Blair for the love/lunch idea.]

Jen

posted August 18, 2009 at 3:36 pm

Awesome! Nerds like you = the reason KissThisGuy.com exists. (The Archive of Misheard Lyrics.)One of my favorites comes from The Fab Four… "she's got a chicken to ride." That song is forever ruined for me. :)

Anonymous

posted August 18, 2009 at 7:07 pm

i make up new lyrics to sea shanties to entertain my son…"What do you with a baby Alex" usually gets a giggle or two

Anonymous

posted August 18, 2009 at 10:00 pm

I think the misheard lyrics part is more fun – though I'm fond of actual parodies too…(one of my favorites still is Al Denson's little quip about "Elsie died, Elsie died, theres no more milk 'cause Elsie died" (El Shaddai) cause you can't get any greater a combo of old school CCM than a reference to Amy Grant and El Shaddai (covering the 80s) and Al Denson (the early 90s)

Anonymous

posted August 18, 2009 at 11:12 pm

I sometimes replace the word "you" with the word "jew" (or else jews). I don't mean it in an antisemitic way or anything. I just find it amusing to sing "My life would suck without Jews." Just humorous to think about, because… wouldn't it just suck?

Keith

posted August 19, 2009 at 2:44 pm

life also sucks without juice.

Anonymous

posted August 20, 2009 at 9:23 am

What is lunch??? I quite!! I'm not reading the rest this is too much!!! BWWWAAHAAAA!

AmarleneA

posted August 20, 2009 at 9:25 am

Not I quite I quit! Lol oopsie!

Chris Miller

posted August 20, 2009 at 11:58 am

Replace Ronda with Honda and the Beach Boys are never the same. Especially when you're singing about Honda getting you an Accord.

Dan Lewis

posted August 20, 2009 at 11:05 pm

This is how I like to have fun with songs: http://ulomblogmusic.blogspot.com/ By the way, kissthisguy.com is one of the funniest websites ever!

the J in PJs Til Noon

posted August 20, 2009 at 11:26 pm

I hate to admit it, but for years, I've been replacing you with Jews. Only when complementary, but still.And that old shoutin' church song, "Enemies' Camp" became "Enema Camp" and has caused uncontrollable giggling in church anytime I hear it.