O Me of Little Faith

O Me of Little Faith

My Big List of Self-Absorption

posted by Jason Boyett

There are five things I want you to know about today. They are as follows:

1. I have succumbed to the siren call of Twitter. If you tweet, you can find me at twitter.com/jasonboyett. I would come right out and ask you to follow me, but biblically that sounds kinda blasphemous. And needy. So I won’t.

2. It’s the season of giving, or at least, it’s close to it. I’m sure you know at least one or two or fifteen people who do not own a very reasonably priced, signed copy of Pocket Guide to the Bible. Nothing says “you are important to me” than a snarky-yet-informative book about the Bible, signed by the author. Want one? They’re just $6.99, and they are pocket-sized enough to actually fit in a stocking. You can buy one by clicking the convenient “Buy Now” button immediately to your left. No, to your left on the screen. I have no idea what’s immediately to your left in real life. Sheesh.

Why am I pushing these? This is why.

3. If you are a regular reader of this blog but have not answered the all-important question Who Are You?, then stop what you’re doing right now and introduce yourself via comment. Thanks. You won’t regret it. Unless you tell us something really embarrassing about yourself and it ends up all over the Webbernet.

4. Due to financial struggles and the economy and company realignment, Focus on the Family has shut down my pretty much only favorite part of the FotF empire: TrueU.org. My friends Matthew John and Denise Morris have added their names to the growing list of unemployed professionals, and I’m out of a place to write rambling articles like this and this. My last TrueU article posted today. It’s about the three kinds of humility every guy needs. Goodbye, TrueU. It’s been good knowing you. It’s also been good receiving a check from you every two months, but I wouldn’t dare say something that tacky.

5. I had a number five when I started writing this post, but for the life of me I can’t remember what it was. Something about Fake Band Shirts, maybe? Or Taco Bell? Or Copernicus? No idea. If you happen to know what it was, let me know.

carandavis

posted November 20, 2008 at 10:55 am

Jason, I didn’t know that about TrueU. That is so sad!

Angela Hart

posted November 20, 2008 at 11:23 am

So you gave in to Twitter, eh? Well I hope you sync it with your Facebook status updates because nothing builds intimate community like knowing when someone eats, goes to bed, gets up, gets on a plane, gets off the plane, is tired, is thinking, is drinking vino, just is… and the fact that I poke fun at Twitter with a few select friends is probably the only reason I’m not actually doing it… yet.:)Hope you sell your books! I may buy some for stocking stuffers as I think it’s a really fabulous idea. I’ve pursued the one you gave me and it makes me laugh and remember how much I don’t remember from Sunday School. Essentially, your book shames me. Thanks a lot!

Matthew H. John

posted November 20, 2008 at 11:31 am

Thanks so much, Jason, for linking to our blogs. Denise and I really appreciate it. … Now I guess I should go write something interesting for today.

Jason Boyett

posted November 20, 2008 at 11:58 am

@Angela: I also make fun of twitterers, because it is apparently very important to let the world know that you are drinking coffee. I signed up because I was taking Seth Godin’s advice to go ahead and protect your brand by signing up for the stuff you can put your name on, so some squatter doesn’t twitter away pretending to be Jason Boyett. But once registered, it kept asking me “WHAT ARE YOU DOING?” and so I had to answer. Relentless, that little twitter bird.Anyway, glad I’ve shamed you. That’s pretty much the goal of all my books — to produce negative feelings in my readers.@Cara: I agree…and just when you were getting started there, right?@Matthew: My pleasure. Good luck to you guys. Blog away.

Bryan Allain

posted November 20, 2008 at 12:10 pm

many thanks as well for the link love. as a gift to you, I will be passing along any Taco Bell coupons I come across. Run to the Border!

Anonymous

posted November 20, 2008 at 12:44 pm

Hey Jason,My name is Peter Ward. I’m a graphic designer in the Altanta area. I started reading your stuff in Relevant magazine, then on the Relevant blog, and now check your blog every day.I enjoy your witty insights into Christian culture.

Serenity

posted November 20, 2008 at 1:28 pm

I’m Serenity. I live in a small town in Missouri and found your blog through my sister Felicity who found you through Relevant. I’m a writer, cancer survivor, wife and mom. I’m always looking for how we as Christians can remain relevant (it’s just such a great word), so people will remain open to Christ. That’s definitely what I hope to do with my writing, and you provide a great example for it. (I realize you didn’t ask us to say why we like you, but it seemed fitting).

Jason Boyett

posted November 20, 2008 at 1:45 pm

@Serenity: Thank you for your kind words. I had no idea you and Felicity were sisters, though the names make perfect sense now. You don’t happen to have any other siblings, do you? What are their names? (I’m hoping for a “Serendipity”)I hope it’s understood by my readers that the comments should always be considered an opportunity to say why you like me, whether I ask for it or not. :)

Serenity

posted November 20, 2008 at 9:22 pm

:) Our siblings are Joseph and Charity, although I’ve been called Serendipity a lot. And the understanding about the comments section is duly noted.

Wayne MacKirdy

posted November 21, 2008 at 1:17 pm

Jason, I think you and the rest of the “faculty” and “staff” of TrueU should talk to John Stonestreet at Summit Ministries. I believe it would be a natural fit…just a thought!

David

posted December 17, 2008 at 2:19 am

Hey! Lurker and I finally decided to cave in and tell you who I am. I found your blog through a friend who is interning at Focus on the Family (Ashley Harris) and I really enjoyed what I read so I subscribe (via RSS) and I keep coming back. Enjoying it!