Beliefnet News

Beliefnet News

Tebowing goes international

Across the globe, folks are Tebowing in exotic places. What is Tebowing?

It’s “to get down on a knee and start praying, even if everyone else around you is doing something completely different,” says sportswriter Lindsay H. Jones at the Denver Post.

Tebowing in the White House and in Utah's Canyonlands National Park

The inspiration, of course, is Denver Broncos quarterback Tim Tebow, formerly of the University of Florida Gators.

He unabashedly witnesses his Christian faith by taking a knee, bowing his head and sending up a quick prayer … whether it is in thanks after scoring a touchdown or seeking Divine help before a tough play.

CLICK HERE to see “The Joy of Tebowing”

When told of the worldwide phenomenon — fans posting pictures of themselves on a new website devoted to Tebowing while kneeing in prayer in the most unlikely of locations, the quarterback was pleased.

Tebowing in Hawaii

“What’s funny about it is how rapidly it’s caught on, and how much it has taken off,” he told Jones in the Broncos locker room. Sure, he said, he understands that some people might be less than devout in striking the pose. He is more excited, though, about those who are taking it seriously.

“It is serious, for me,” Tebow said. “At least it’s being talked about, and that’s a cool thing. If I can help be an example, then I look at that as a blessing. It’s not my job to see peoples’ reasons behind it, but I know of a kid with cancer that tweeted me, ‘Tebowing while I’m chemoing’ — how cool is that?

CLICK HERE to see “Tebowing Across America

“That’s worth it right now. If that gives him any encouragement or puts a smile on his face, or gives him encouragement to pray, that’s completely awesome.”

Hospital patient Nathan and his stuffed puppy "Tebow"

Denver native Jared Kleinsteinstarted the Tebowing website that already has hundreds of photos submitted by fans. Earlier this week after he and his friends took a picture in New York City of their group in Tebow’s prayer pose. The fad exploded online by Thursday afternoon.

Kleinstein’s definition of “Tebowing”is “to get down on a knee and start praying, even if everyone else around you is doing something completely different.” Tebow fully supports that definition.

CLICK HERE to see “Cute Kids Take a Knee … Tebowing!”

“People are now Tebowing around the world in Argentina, Sweden, Hong Kong, Brazil, Korea and more places,” marvels sports commentator Deb Stanley for Denver’s Channel 7 News.

Google “Tebowing” and you will find photos of firefighters, Marines, yoga practicers, kids and even soccer players taking one knee.

Tebowing at home and at the New York Stock Exchange

In fact, the Global Language Monitor has announced that the word “Tebowing” has officially entered the English language. The website, which monitors global language trends, told USA Today that the rapid rise of “Tebowing” as a word “has seldom been equaled, mirroring, for example, the rate of adoption of the word Obamamania in early 2008.”

Now Tim Tebow is even tweeting about tebowing. He tweeted after the trend started, “Love it!”

Larry Macon

posted December 17, 2011 at 10:54 pm

I think it is wonderful that people are praying. WE need all the help we can get.The man upstairs is our best hope for the World and America.

William SengerFinn

posted December 30, 2011 at 3:18 am

“It is right always, and everywhere to give Him thanks and praise.” We need to remember that this is giving great witness to our children that God is indeed worthy and eternal things are indeed in priority over temporal things. Psalm 78:8 shows it more so. Even verses 1-11! And psalm8:2 also. But this gives outside nations reason to believe Americans love God ans are Not “The Great Satan”!Let revival begin!

Alyce Heidt

posted December 30, 2011 at 3:32 am

This act truly gets the heart and spirit excited!! I’m sure “ministering angels” are at the side of everyone “tebowing!”

William SengerFinn

posted December 30, 2011 at 3:37 am

I gotta say, I’m a Patriots fan all the way. But I love Massachusetts so much that I hope God will use “TBow” to teach us something. I just keep thinking of how the “Tampa Bay Devil Rays baseball team never won much of anything until the following season AFTER they “divorced” the name of “Devil” out of their name! Now they are a definite force to be reckoned with! And again, I’m a Red Sox fan all the way! But they beat the pants off of even us in 2008! In fact they even won something that is nothing to snuff at! They won the American League pennant! And were even in the playoffs! Is football any different? Who’s is the glory of all the earth? And of every living thing? God has spoken through the prophets saying; ‘Every soul is Mine, says the Lord!” Do we believe Our Own God?

Caroline Gonzales

posted December 30, 2011 at 12:15 pm

I am delighted to see this show of Faith after all the “trash” I have seen and heard in the name of the First Amendment. We have taken Prayer out of our schools, want to take “In God We Trust” from our money, and an idiot can make statements on T.V. all in the name of “politically correct” because we are so afraid of “offending” I tybow to Mr. Tebow for defense and offense, pun intended, and declaring his thanks and praise to our GOD.

SARAH

posted December 31, 2011 at 7:32 am

NOTHING WRONG SAY YOUR PRAYER. IF SOME ONE
WHO,S CARE ABOUT GOD!IF TEBOW WHAT TO PRAYER
PRAY TO GOD SO BE IT!GOOD PERSON LOVE GOD,
SO BE IT. LIKE PERSON DO,NT BELIEVE GOD
THEY SHOULD TO HELL! I SAY TEBOW WHAT TO
PRAY GO FOR IT! THAT ALL I GOING TO SAY.
THANK FOR YOUR TIME!

jose bautista jr.

posted December 31, 2011 at 11:29 pm

No big deal.We, Filipinos have been doing that since time immemorial.O.K. Alright,since 1521. The more reverent do it on both knees.

Constance R. Goins

posted January 1, 2012 at 6:01 pm

It’s about time people took prayer seriously. Without prayer we have nothing to keep our spirits up. God Bless America and Mr. Tebow keep up God’s work. Periodically you are mention at Victory Baptist my small church in Hampton, Florida. We say there goes a young man that is not afraid to worship God in public. Keep up your convictions in Christ and he will see you through everything.