Beliefnet News

Beliefnet News

Rick Warren: Bible has answers as Americans reel under a worsening economy

“We are now three years into a major recession. There are more people out of work right now than ever in our lifetime,” says California author and pastor Rick Warren. “There are more people underneath the poverty line than ever in America. More people are classified as legitimately poor than ever before. There are more people that own a home that is upside down, another words they owe more on it than its worth, than ever before.”

Rick Warren

But he says there’s hope, according to the website Eurweb.

The pastor of the 20,000-member Saddleback says that like most of the nation, his congregation reflects an 11 percent unemployment rate. This weekend, he told them the Bible is the best place to go for financial advice.

“The Bible is literally filled with advice on how to get out of debt, how to stay out of debt, how to prosper, how to have financial stability, and how to save and spend,” he said, according to Christian Post.

The California pastor counseled that worrying is unnecessary:

“God has promised to take care of you if you’ll trust him with the details of your life. As a child, if you asked your father for lunch money you never worried about where it would come from. That was his problem. Let God be God in your life! God will take care of you, just have faith.”

T. Alex

posted November 24, 2011 at 9:55 pm

Yes Pastor, you are right.We must have faith in these hard times and yes, the Bible does hold much wisdom for our finances.But let me ask you this.What about the church? It states that you have a church with 20,000 members.God states that the church should help the widows and children.In our culture this could be single moms.Deuteronomy14:28-29 and15:1-11.

Noah

posted November 25, 2011 at 10:22 am

Is this the same Christian Pastor that offered a prayer at Muslim Obama’s Inauguration?

bluebuss

posted November 25, 2011 at 12:26 pm

yeah, trickle down isn’t exactly working, hence occupy!

sandra

posted December 11, 2011 at 2:33 pm

THANK YOU GOD WILL TAKE CARE OF YOU HE WILL KEEP YOU IN THE PALM OF HIS HANDS JUST ASK HIM AMEN

Stacy

posted December 12, 2011 at 8:32 am

I can’t agree more, but also adding to this, these things must take place in order for Jesus to return. He is on his way back and if you read your bible, you will see that all these things must happen before his return. God is not to be mocked and people are fighting over removing God from everything. So because of who God is, he will step back and say ok world see how far you get with out me. He will not force himself on anyone, and until this nation realizes that God owns everyone and everything, all we can do as Christians is pray for guidance, and mercy.

diana

posted December 12, 2011 at 10:08 am

Prayer and belief!!!!! What chapters in the bible do we read to help us hold this belief in

Linda E Small

posted December 12, 2011 at 11:07 am

Pastor Warren,

Thanks for our words of encouragement because I am standing on the promises of God, that he take care of his children..I am out of work since Sept but I know God is going to open up a window for me..May God continue to bless and keep you..
Linda

Genny Richardson

posted December 12, 2011 at 1:12 pm

I do agree wi

Genny Richardson

posted December 12, 2011 at 1:26 pm

I do agree with Pastor Rick, that we should have child like faith. Ask the Lord to supply
our needs and leave the situation in his hands.
He is capable able and willing to do all things for his children. Holy father I ask you
to increase my faith in Jesus Name.

Edward

posted December 12, 2011 at 1:44 pm

God created all man equal. All you racist will fill the wrath of god on judgement day. Not Everyone Who Says “Lord, Lord” Will Enter the Kingdom Matthew 7:21-23

21 Not everyone who says to Me, “Lord, Lord,” shall enter the kingdom of heaven, but he who does the will of My Father in heaven.
22 Many will say to Me in that day, “Lord, Lord, have we not prophesied in Your name, cast out demons in Your name, and done many wonders in Your name?”
23 And then I will declare to them, “I never knew you; depart from Me, you who practice lawlessness.”

Susan David

posted December 12, 2011 at 3:38 pm

Pastor Warren,

Thanks for the words of encouragement because I am standing on the promises of God, that he take care of his children..I am out of work since Sept but I know God is going to open up a window for me.God isfaithfull,never wrong I am tusting him more than ever.May God continue to bless and
keep you.Your book and you are a blessing for those have faith in God.

Susan D.

Jack West

posted December 13, 2011 at 2:18 am

@Noah – yes this is the same man who offered the prayer. Obama isn’t a muslim why do yu think he is?

Dr. Dapo

posted December 13, 2011 at 4:45 pm

We must start speaking on love. The country is impregnated with hate. The baby named hate has yet to be delivered. Every pastor should be discussing on how we develop this heart for love. God has us given the heart to love. It is there in us–the heart. Hate holds us down, hate makes us impotent. Hate is evil that takes too much out of us–it takes joy out of us. Church is a house of hate. The Lord is not worshipped in the church, but money speaks louder in the church. The pastors are too preoccupied with how nice their cars, the house and their women. In other words, we are a sick nation. We hate each other. Period. 2nd C hronicles 7; 14. Please-study and James 1: 22. Love you still. I’m in the book of Mark 12: 29-31

Helen Faye Adams

posted December 17, 2011 at 4:57 pm

People are allowing the media to become their
God which is a major mistake. We must return
to our roots and rely on our Heavenly Father
who will continue to be our provider. The
blessings are there, our eyes are closed!

Andrea Horton

posted December 21, 2011 at 5:03 pm

Pastor Warren God will take care of you if you have faith that he will. I am a living witness in this recession God has met every need according to his riches in glory. When I was lay-off my job in 2009, God sent a message “DON’T PANIC’, I WILL SUPPLY YOUR EVERY NEED!!!, and he has done just that and is still doing it, PRAISE GOD AMEN!!!