Beliefnet News

Beliefnet News

Wheaton, Regent researchers: Therapy successful for homosexuals wanting to change

Therapy can assist a homosexual who wants to be heterosexual, according to a study published in the Journal of Sex and Marital Therapy.

Psychologists Stanton L. Jones of Wheaton College and Mark A. Yarhouse of Regent University are the authors of the longitudinal study. It tracked individuals who were seeking to change their sexual orientation — and documents their successful transformations through involvement in a variety of Christian ministries.

“The authors note that the study overcomes a primary criticism of same-sex attraction therapy data — that the results are not adequately documented over a period of time – -by assessing its 98 candidates over a period of six to seven years after therapy concluded,” writes Kathleen Gilbert of LifeSiteNews:

Jones and Yarhouse’s results show the majority of candidates were successful in their goal of changing sexual orientation. Dr. Jones told LifeSiteNews.com that the study was likely skewed toward optimism towards therapy, as it wasn’t able to count candidates who dropped out early. However, he said, the study still stands out from the crowd for its value as a long-term assessment of the viability of same-sex attraction therapy.

“The ‘silver standard’ [of SSA therapy studies] is a longitudinal study that follows people repeatedly over multiple years and also a prospective study that assesses people from the beginning of change. To the best of our knowledge, ours is the first such study,” wrote Jones. “The ‘gold standard’ would be a completely experimental and longitudinal study that would also randomly assign participants to different treatment groups with highly defined treatments; we believe such study would actually be impossible to perform.”

Although the American Psychological Association discourages mental health professionals from offering sexual reorientation therapy, the group’s official position on such therapy states that there is “insufficient evidence” to either approve or discredit the practice.

Allan

posted October 4, 2011 at 11:20 pm

I am sure gay men can be happy in the straight life if that is what they want. I have known of two men, one Jewish and one Lutheran, who were happily married back in the forties and remained so for over twenty years, and then, after they were widowed, became active in the gay community. The question is, after the sexual revolution of the 1960′s and 70′s, how many would want to do it.

whollylovtrinity

posted October 6, 2011 at 3:54 am

1 Corinthians 13 :LOVE chapter…is NOT sex
LOVE Children ;LOVE Parents; L COMMUNity;
Not”flesh in opposition to the SPIRIT Ga5″
Contempt “CON-fusion / TEMPTation”Mt26
Mt 7: 2 GaTes = Love -or separation from even self-LOVE; destruction- even self d Mt10

Genny Richardson

posted October 6, 2011 at 10:01 am

I do agree with Pastor Rick Warren that we should love everyone despite their Religious
Views. In Matthew 5.V.44 Jesus commands us to love our enemies, asnd pray for those who persecute in Proverbs 25.21,22, Therefore since
Jesus loved even those who persecuted Him we
also aught tp love one another as He loved us,
He loves us so much that died for our sins to bring us close to our Father God Thank you Father Thank you Jesus, thank you Holy Spirit. Stay focused, Keep loving, friends and foes alike. Your reward will come.

Debbie

posted October 6, 2011 at 12:55 pm

Ridiculous.

Denise

posted October 7, 2011 at 2:42 am

Of course people who want to change are capable of doing so. Sometimes it takes assistance, and this is one of those cases. What I don’t understand is the insanity of those who insist that those who wish to change from being homosexual to heterosexual should not be able to do so. Who are these people, that they should be telling others how to live their lives?

Darlene Steele

posted October 7, 2011 at 3:19 am

In reference to homosexual behavior, I believe that only a heart change can change such behavior. With God all things are possible. If someone wants to change and is willing to allow God to change them, then yes. Otherwise, I don’t think so because the desire won’t go away. Only God can do that.

Dolly

posted October 7, 2011 at 8:32 am

I’m sure a person could change which sex they share their body with, but I believe the heart would remain the same. I could become a lesibian with my body but I believe I would still rather be with a man in my heart.

Concerned Christian

posted October 7, 2011 at 8:35 am

I have seen many gays who went through the therapy that were greatly affected from this and not in a good way. It took more work to help these gay men to heal the scars that were left in them due to this so called therapy. I being one of them and I am a gay christian that God does love me for who I am.

Eugenia

posted October 7, 2011 at 9:28 am

Change is in no way easy, but the rx. for it is simple: Let Jesus do it. Lesbianism was something I struggled with early on in life. As I matured, I came to realize that for me, it was a ‘generational curse’ that could be broken. When I embraced the Lord Jesus, I also made the conscious choice to believe that since Jesus (powered by the Holy Spirit) can heal all manner of diseases, He could certainly change me…and He did! I handed Him my list of things I wanted Him to change, but He did so according to His list, in His order; that by fixing one thing, would fix the other, would fix the next and so on. Now, I know without a doubt that I’ll never fall back into it.

Mary

posted October 7, 2011 at 11:30 am

Even further, not just “discouraging” such therapy, the APA intends to call “reparative therapy” unethical and therefore extremely risky for the therapist who either does such therapy, or offers it, for legal reasons. The gay community intends to let nothing stand in their way to make their behavior socially acceptable.

Sue

posted October 7, 2011 at 11:44 am

Another case where people find out that the Bible is right – where science proves faith is strong.

Nicole

posted October 7, 2011 at 3:03 pm

Homosexuality is a sin. Period. You can try there is no Gay Christian. What don’t you understand with the word Sin. You can have your civil union churches, etc. But that’ doesn’t take away of the fact that you are committing a sin and you will be judged when the final days are upon us. I don’t believe in some the radicul ways they try to help homosexuals but if they truly believe in the bible and trust GOD all things are possible.

Dennis

posted October 7, 2011 at 3:19 pm

I am a “gay” Christian. Yes people God loves gays too! You do not have to burn me a the stake. For years prior to accepting and loving myself, I tried to pray the gay away, had hands laid on me, you name it. It took years of therapy, bachelors in psychology and a Master in Social Work to accept and love myself. There are counter studies that show that women who are under a lot of stress while pregnant release excessive hormones, particulary estrogen. If mother is pregnant with a male child this bombardment of excessive estrogen has high likelihood of mother having a son who is homosexual. My brother and I are both gay and my mother finally admitted to me that both pregnancies were stressful. Knowing my father’s personality I had deduced this prior to my mother on third time questioning her finally admitted it. You Christians who are not gay, for the last time it is not a choice!!! Who would willingly choose to be gay, not me.

Louise Dunlap

posted October 7, 2011 at 5:15 pm

I am a witness to deliverance for homosexuals, God can deliver anyone who completely turns to Him.

Anglican

posted October 7, 2011 at 6:33 pm

Regent University was founded by who?

Jmm

posted October 7, 2011 at 9:40 pm

Homosexuals can change with Gods help, but they have to want to change…otherwise it won’t work. Will it be easy? I don’t think so, but I fully feel that if ones faith is strong enough, God may well heal that individual right there and then.But the hope in all of this is there is hope.

karen

posted October 8, 2011 at 12:14 am

People needs to change their ways and have Jesus Christ forgive their sins,to be save and be a Christian. Homosexuality and Lesbian is a wrong for living, they will be send to the lake of fire, in Revelation it said that your name has to be in the book of life.

Pat

posted October 11, 2011 at 10:02 am

Judge not lest you be judge. On that note I will merely say there is NOWHERE in the bible condoning homosexuality, quite to contrary. I have lived long enough to know that things are getting worse, not better. All these things MUST occur and then the end. Men have become SUCH lovers of themselves that if it feels good to you do it. Something that used to be hidden is now out in the open, bragged about, and being touted as normally okay. At the end of the day it takes male and female to procreate which is part of our job here on earth. So people will say and do anything to justify what they believe in. The problem now is that so many people have turned to this that the protesters are drowned out. All I can say is at the end of the day, it is what God says in his word that will prevail. NOTHING else can stand against it, no matter how ANY of us feel.

Matthew

posted October 29, 2011 at 10:12 am

Great news for people with unwanted same sex attraction.

Graham Lawn

posted October 30, 2011 at 9:27 am

This is pleasing to read. Are there any results showing that homosexuals have been changed through accepting Jesus as Lord and believing the Scriptures re transformation?