Beliefnet News

Beliefnet News

Toddler in hit-and-run lies bleeding in street as 18 passers-by step around her, don’t help

Are there no Good Samaritans in China? When a two-year-old child wandered into traffic and was hit by a van, 18 passers-by carefully stepped around the bleeding little girl named Xiao Yueyue.

Some of the passers-by looked the toddler over in apparent curiosity as they strolled by, but did not pause to help. A second vehicle hit the child and drove on before a trash collector took pity on her, according to China Daily.

And now the driver of the van has told a local radio station that he didn’t stop since if the child was dead, it would cost him only a few thousand dollars, but if he stopped and was responsible for her living, it would have run into the hundreds of thousands.

The incident, captured by a surveillance camera and aired by Southern Television Guangdong, showed the toddler, whose family calls her “Yue Yue” being hit by a white van on a narrow market street.

The driver paused with Yue Yue underneath the van, then continued — with his rear wheels running over her a second time as he left the scene with the little girl bleeding from the head into the street.

Over a dozen people walked by child without offering help over the next six minutes. Then she was hit a second time by another van, after which a rag collector, Chen Xianmei, noticed her and came to her aid.

China Daily says Yue Yue has been declared “brain dead” by doctors, who say she could die at any time.

“The riders of four electric bicycles, a tricycle and three passers-by all chose to ignore her and no one at a shop close to the scene came to her aid,” reported China Daily.

“Seven minutes after she was first hit by the van, a 57-year-old rag collector noticed the girl and moved her to the curb. The woman tried talking to the shopkeeper but received no response. She then walked into the street and a few seconds later, the girl’s mother appeared and rushed away with the girl.”

The girl received emergency surgery in Foshan before being transferred to the General Hospital in Guangzhou.

Police caught the truck driver soon after the incident and the van driver turned himself in on Sunday afternoon.

Before the accident, the girl, just back with her mother from  kindergarten, was left alone at the hardware shop of the family when her mother went to collect dried clothes. When she returned, the mother could not find her daughter at the shop or anywhere nearby until she heard the rag-collecter shout, according to Guangzhou Daily.

According to reports the van driver had just split up from his girlfriend and was talking on his mobile phone when he hit the girl.

According to Foshan Radio, the driver told reporters in a telephone interview that he did not stop because, “If she is dead, I may pay only about 20,000 yuan ($3,125). But if she is injured, it may cost me hundreds of thousands yuan.”

When she ran from shop to shop for help, the rag collector was told by a number of shopkeepers to mind her own business, according to Nafang Daily.

“The case provoked much public anger. With many condemning the cold-bloodiness of the passers-by and blaming their behavior on previous high-profile court cases.”

In June, Xu Yunhe was ordered by a court in Tianjin to pay an elderly woman he had helped more than 100,000 yuan.

In the guidelines on how to help elderly people who have fallen down, issued by the Ministry of Health in September, the public are advised: “Don’t rush to lend a hand to the elderly after seeing them fall over. It should be handled by different measures in different situations.”

The ministry said the guidelines have nothing to do with morality and ethics but explain how to deliver assistance in a scientifically proper way.

“It is a story that has deeply unsettled millions in China, posing troubling questions about whether three decades of headlong economic development has left nothing but a moral vacuum in its wake,” reported the BBC.

China Daily reported incidents in January in which elderly men who fell in the street were left alone because people did not want to get involved.

Many CCTV viewers reacted with dismay, citing the incident as further evidence that China had become a “world without morals.”

“Everyone is praising the rubbish-collecting granny for helping, but isn’t it normal to help someone who is wounded or dying?”, asked Johnny Yao on Weibo, the Chinese equivalent of Twitter, “This just shows how abnormal is the moral situation in this society! The sad Chinese, poor China are we even rescuable?”

However many others said there could be no excuse, and that the scenes in the video should “shake the soul of every conscientious person” in China, reported the British newspaper the Telegraph.

“Even if the passers-by couldn’t rescue her, they could dial 120 and 110 [China’s emergency numbers] and help to stop vehicles, then the little Yueyue wouldn’t have been run over by the second car,” said another comment posted by ‘Dull Baby’.

“What’s up with people these days? They make so many excuses to turn a blind eye. The society is so indifferent, so heartless,” said Yueyue’s father, who was shown weeping with his wife on television news bulletins. He said he didn’t want to enter the moral debate, only to pray for his child’s survival.

“Yueyue is so lovely, often amuses us. Sometime if I quarrelled with her mother and if her mother cried, she would tell us not to cry, she always tried to amuse us. I don’t have any thoughts now, I just hope my child will wake up and call me Dad again.”

Raymond

posted October 18, 2011 at 9:10 pm

I feel so sad about this little girl. I am a father of a 3 years old. I can’t stand watching this video at all. My tears bursted out instantly when I saw the little one bump into the van. She knows nothing as a 2-year old. But the bloody driver knew what happened. How could he run her over one more time? I am still feel extremely depressed and disappointed of how human being could become. Come on China. I know you face a lot of pressure everyday. But at least, as a human being, be a human being. Please. I am begging you.

Norrell

posted October 19, 2011 at 5:53 am

If not even a toddler bleeding on the street cannot make people to stop and help it means something is gone lost: mankind’s soul.
No need to add more,I believe.

Georgia Dude

posted October 19, 2011 at 6:46 am

This is what we get when you have communis, or fascism. They do not value human life.
Taking prayer out of school and the legalization of abortion is living proof of American going down in a slippery slope of selfishness and depravities.

Krishnamoorthy

posted October 19, 2011 at 10:32 am

I was all these days thinking that Chinese had great family values and being Buddhist are very caring and helpful. Pity that the girl is going to die because of complacency.Chinese please come back to OLD VALUES

malou

posted October 19, 2011 at 9:24 pm

WOW, what kind of people are there in China? I did not imagine them to be ‘heartless’ as we were just in China a couple of months ago and they seem to be affectionate people

Norma

posted October 19, 2011 at 9:33 pm

Lord, you said, “By His stripes, we were healed.” I am believing for a complete healing for Yue Yue and her family, if it be Your will and I am thanking you, in the name of your son, Jesus. You said, “If any two of you agree on earth concerning anything that they ask, it will be done for them by My Father in heaven.” I am praying that someone else will read this and agree with me for Yue Yue. Amen

scallywag

posted October 19, 2011 at 9:44 pm

Perhaps to castigate the Chinese might be a bit rash as it may well be that this type of behavior is part human nature, no matter where you live in the world and a growing reflection of the stratification of society not just in China where vast stratifications within class structures have really started to take hold since the introduction of capital mobility, but a sympton of an amoral world that has trained itself that as long as it doesn’t happen inside their ivory tower it can be ignored and sidestepped until that is someone else starts watching (ie the media) and begins to point such things out. If only the world was a moral place some of you may wonder…

Bell

posted October 19, 2011 at 11:06 pm

In the end time, God said people would lose the love for others…and I feel we are living in those times. It’s so sad to know those people have lost that love, but real glad a few haven’t. Those people regard little girls as nothing and boys more important. One day soon they will learn how wrong they have been and see that God loves all his children and they too are suppose to.

wayne

posted October 20, 2011 at 5:25 am

May GOD show more mercy to those drivers, than they showed for this litle child.

Jorge Mercado

posted October 20, 2011 at 7:00 am

What a pathetic and Godless country the Chinese are! They will get their punishment in due time! We need to look at them and hope the US doesn’t turn into a heartless country like that. Just in the last 2 weeks here in Florida we have seen incidents similar to the one in China except it wasn’t a little girl. We had persons hit by a car and the driver never blink an eye to stop and help and the persons died. It makes no difference whether it’s a kid or elderly, it’s a human being not a rag doll?? Wakeup America this nation is turning into the same nation China is!! Heartless and cold. God help us all!!

Gus

posted October 20, 2011 at 9:01 am

This has happened in America some years back when a women was being beaten and several people heard her and never came to her aid. Come back to God, America, before it is too late.

Shelley

posted October 20, 2011 at 9:03 am

Lord have mercy on the souls of all those people who walked by. I can’t believe they would have a stupid law like that. I’m American I guees I would be broke or in jail if I was over there, because i would have helped I don’t care what kind of laws they have. Because to me God Laws are most important and to turn your head. Shame Shame Shame.

Achasim

posted October 20, 2011 at 9:12 am

Helloooww Guys!!! This kind of law is not only existing in China… I guess they borrowed from the long time existing laws in the Middle East wealthy countries!!! Before you affluent Western people make comments… why are you looking the other way when it involves these rich nations??? Just asking… Don’t judge so that you will not be judged… thank you.

montanagirl

posted October 20, 2011 at 9:26 am

What is wrong with people anymore? I am so heart broke and disgusted by this…along with other emotions I cant even identify at this moment. Each day that passes by I have less and less faith in ANYTHING! It’s not only the Chinese..we have plenty of cold hearted people here in America. Shame on you…shame on all of you.

erika skobel

posted October 20, 2011 at 9:49 am

WTF PEOPLE!!!!!!!!! WHAT THE HELL IS WRONG WITH YOU IDIOTS!!!!!!!!!! EVERYONE WHO IGNORED THIS NEAR FATAL TO FATALLY INJURED CHILD SHOULD BE RUN OVER- I’LL GLADLY DO IT MYSELF- TWICE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! AS******

Marlene

posted October 20, 2011 at 10:15 am

It is so very sad that we as a Nation have come to this!! There is no shame or heart left in our society!! I pray for this lovely little girl and her family!!

Susan

posted October 20, 2011 at 11:36 am

I just returned from China less than a week ago. I believe this to be an extremely isolated incident. I have the exact opposite experiences while visiting there. Out of no where came a Chinese woman with bandaids when I cut myself at a park and was bleeding. A woman gave me a scarf on a windy, chilling morning in Tianamen Square. My experiences are that they are helpful to a magnitude that our country has long forgotten. HOWEVER, I have seen that they do not stop or get involved with traffic accidents (which sadly this toddler accident would fall into that category). There is such a liability for accidents that they are fearful of involvement. Sad…so sad. But the twist on this article toward the “lack of humanity” in the Chinese culture is extremely bothersome to me…it is so slanted.

Armor of God1290

posted October 20, 2011 at 1:54 pm

This incident reinforces my belief that materialistic atheistic and godless societies have no morals or common decency. This behavior is prevalent in communist countries and not uncommon in socialistic countries. This is bizarre because communists and socialist claim they “help the common people”. Keep watch Americans as our own society is turning to socialism/communism itself.

Kitty

posted October 20, 2011 at 2:57 pm

Here is a country who beleives its ok to skin live animals. Its not such a far cry to think they wouldn’t think much of human life either.

big ed

posted October 21, 2011 at 6:00 am

Its not about China (google “Kitty Genovese”), it could happen in parts of your own home town. Some people, in some situations, are just that way. I’ve heard it said that if your car breaks down, you’re better off if it happens on a road that has only one other car pass an hour, than if it happens downtown. Psychologists call it “the bystander” effect.

Charlotte

posted October 21, 2011 at 9:05 am

I am just so upset about this news it brought me to tears when I watched it and could not believe people could be so heartless in not helping a baby in need. My prayers for recovery goes out to this innocent baby and her Parents.

pennie cupples

posted October 21, 2011 at 12:04 pm

oh dear GOD what is wrong with,the chinese people that they could be so heartless and uncaring, to this poor child.This is a tragedy, and I will pray for the family, may they find peace, and may they find forgiveness in their hearts, for those who did not stop to help.

Tamma

posted October 21, 2011 at 2:35 pm

To those that didn’t do anything to save this innocent child…God is Watching,and he will make it Right.

Eric

posted October 23, 2011 at 7:04 pm

This is clearly one of the most disgusting, heartbreaking stories I have every seen in my life…. and a testament to the heartlessness of so many people in the world. The statements I read in this case are so true, china exports millions of products all the time, but no one can stop to save the life of a severely injured 2 year old baby because they are more concerned about money than a childs life?????? They claim to be a poor people, now I see it is their hearts and souls which are more bankrupt than their pockets!!! Make no mistake about it people…The driver of the first van should be tried and punished and loose all his “so precious money” as well as jail time for leaving that poor child to bleed to death in the street, and since he first stopped, then knowingly and willingly drove the rest of his van over her body and left her there, if she dies he should be charged with MURDER!! The driver of the second van is guilty of the same thing…. and thou I pity the parents suffering, the mother should as well be tried and punished to send a msg about leaving a child of only 2 years old…. still a baby…. alone and unattended!!! A MESSAGE NEEDS TO BE SENT… DO NOT LET THIS CRIME GO UNANSWERED!!!

Cherrie

posted October 25, 2011 at 4:18 am

this story is so sad, it just goes to show what our nation has come to i have cried and sent a prayer out to her and her family sending yue yue angels bless.

NANZO

posted November 2, 2011 at 5:21 am

THIS IS CRUEL MEANING THAT ON EARTH THERE IS NO MORE HELPING HANDS WHILE WE ARE STRAVING FOR HELP ON EARTH AND TO LEAVE HAPPILY

T. Alex

posted November 16, 2011 at 11:07 pm

What happened to this child is barbaric.To think in this day and age that people would ignore a baby in the street to me is just pure evil. Is this the China that our Country is suffering for.Where all the jobs and products are going too. After this display I now feel 100% that we should stop sacrificing our economy for them and cut out the free trade and do away with all the junk that they import into our Country that end up in the landfills anyway. We have to stop being fools.Patriotic wise and spiritually also.To turn away from a child in the street? This is not what God had in mind that we should support!!!

GaudioLugens

posted November 23, 2011 at 12:04 pm

No matter how high we endeavor to elevate ourselves above the creatures we look down upon as less than we, we are creatures less than they who would do the earth a favor by devouring us.