Beliefnet News

Beliefnet News

Couple married 72 years dies an hour apart, holding hands

Without the other, neither wanted to live, according the children of an elderly couple that died last week.

Gordon Yeager, 94, and his wife Norma, 90, were married for 72 years, reports LifeSiteNews. However, their life together ended Wednesday after they were both injured in a car crash. They arrived at a local hospital so badly hurt that officials saw hey could not recover, according to ABC news.

YouTube Preview Image

They were placed together in a bed, where they lay holding hands. Even then, says their son, Dennis Yeager, the couple’s concern was only for each other.

“She was saying her chest hurt and what’s wrong with Dad? Even laying there like that, she was worried about Dad,” he said. “And his back was hurting and he was asking about Mom.”

Gordon died at 3:38. But people in the room at the time say they were confused when Gordon stopped breathing, but his heart monitor continued to pick up a heartbeat. That was when they realized that the monitor was detecting Norma’s heartbeat, through their clasped hands.

“And we thought, ‘Oh my gosh, Mom’s heart is beating through him,’” Dennis Yeager said.

Norma died an hour later.

“Dad used to say that a woman is always worth waiting for,” Dennis Yeager said. “Dad waited an hour for her and held the door for her.”

Josephine North

posted October 25, 2011 at 3:43 pm

How beautiful and touching. So nice they went together with a shared heart beat.

Joy

posted November 1, 2011 at 1:09 am

so sweet they are so lucky to have experienced that kind of love

Nicki

posted November 1, 2011 at 2:00 am

This kind of devotion is the way it was meant to be. How wonderful.

Lionel Kelley

posted November 1, 2011 at 2:21 am

Quite a Love storey.

laura

posted November 1, 2011 at 4:14 am

to have such an undivided, unselfish love is true divinity! if only all of us could even have a piece of thier happiness to be one, this world wouldn’t have hate!

MAXANNE SYPHO

posted November 1, 2011 at 4:21 am

THAT IS SO SAD BUT YET SO TOUCHING THAT IT MADE ME WANNA CRY BUT I HAD TO SMILE.

rodney pitre

posted November 1, 2011 at 4:31 am

you had the greatest of all parents to hsve Ibet it was great to grow up with them as parents, god bless them & you all ,also

Karen B

posted November 1, 2011 at 6:35 am

What a great, yet true, LOVE story…although I don’t know this lovely couple, i felt as if i am somehow related to them…Very Touching .. may their soul rest in peace…Their children must be proud and hope their life will be an example for many others…LOVE is the only key to happiness..

Debbie

posted November 1, 2011 at 6:40 am

Now THAT is a true love story! Very touching and had me crying at the end. Not many people find love like that. Thank you for sharing this wonderful story!

amanda

posted November 1, 2011 at 6:55 am

This is real love, true divotation to each other, Thank you for this up lifting story.

BigBlackRod

posted November 1, 2011 at 7:04 am

I know that I will be called an ogre for this, but we are completely ignoring the people that this man hurt, and maybe killed in this car crash. As it turns out, this man had been cited for bad driving several times before, and really shouldn’t have been on the road. This is a beautifully bittersweet love story, but it shouldn’t have happened, at least not like this…PEACE.

Theresa Thomas

posted November 1, 2011 at 7:05 am

That was so beautiful. I feel so blessed to have read it. This is just another example that GOD lives! Praise God!

Brenda Jones

posted November 1, 2011 at 7:24 am

What a beautiful story and to have shared your love with another person for 72 years. This makes me think of my 33rd wedding anniversary coming up this month. Sometimes my husband and I will be riding in the car and look at one another and say one day we aren’t going to be together and we become sad. But to go holding hands what a true love story. It makes you believe in true love. I also pray for the children who lost both of their parents at the same time. May God continue to bless them.

Michael Bradley

posted November 1, 2011 at 7:26 am

Nice to read about a couple like that this day and age and sad at the same time.

Bob

posted November 1, 2011 at 7:38 am

True and ever lasting LOVE, They didnt just Love they were IN love !!And they will continue to be together forever !!! amen

lori

posted November 1, 2011 at 7:45 am

THIS IS REAL LOVE, AND WHAT YOU CALL A REAL MARRIAGE..YOU DONT SEE MARRIAGES LIKE THIS ANY MORE, AND THAT IS SAD

mosstheboss

posted November 1, 2011 at 8:01 am

some people only are together for 72 days and here they were for 72 years, WOW

Clara Nevels

posted November 1, 2011 at 8:21 am

That was true love, like we say UNCONDITIONAL LOVE, YOU DON’T SEE THAT ANYMORE. R.I.P. GOD LOVE BOTH OF YOU NOW, MY DEEPEST CONDOLENCE TP THERE CHILDREN WHO PARENTS, HAD SO MUCH LOVE FOR LIFE AND EACH OTHER.

Norma E. Martinez

posted November 1, 2011 at 8:23 am

Very inspiring a couple to envy.

carol

posted November 1, 2011 at 8:31 am

I have tears for joy and I honor that there can be such an incredible love. This is a tender story for me, I am amazed at the real power of love.

fred-53-99

posted November 1, 2011 at 8:36 am

May we all be so blessed.They lived a long life and were not divided.Thank you Jesus.

Kay Bailey

posted November 1, 2011 at 8:36 am

This is a awesome story…Like the Notebook! Prayers go out to the family. You have great memories and they lived along life together and I know you will deeply miss them..They look like a beautiful couple. Thank you for the story!!

Martina

posted November 1, 2011 at 8:43 am

Fantastic Story.These two people are Angels in heaven watching over their Family with Love.

Sherian

posted November 1, 2011 at 9:11 am

Wauwwww this is so beautifull

Sherian

posted November 1, 2011 at 9:11 am

Wauwwww this is so beautifull

ellen

posted November 1, 2011 at 9:12 am

i am sorry about the loss. my parents married at age 18. my father died at 53 years of age. my parents would still be together if my dad had not passed away. i would say my parents would have stayed married for 72 years. i miss you dad. nanny is o.k. she misses you. we think about you all the time. you will never be forgotten. love your family. you have 7 beautiful grandchildren all named in your honor. love your daughter, ellen

ellen

posted November 1, 2011 at 9:13 am

Cindy Albert

posted November 1, 2011 at 9:14 am

What a beautiful touching story. It melts my heart.

Kathy Shuster

posted November 1, 2011 at 9:17 am

This is so touching.
It is beautiful.

karan fraychineaud

posted November 1, 2011 at 9:35 am

WHAT A BEAUTIFUL LIFE AND AN EVEN MORE BEAUTIFUL END. when i got married i believed it would be til death do us part, unfortunately it didnt end up that way, butThis story should be shared, because too many people loose sight of what marriage and commitment is really all about, and how its suppose to be. I am sorry for your loss, but am happy that your parents are together the way its suppose to be and in your case is! God Bless you and I will pray for you and your family. take care..kf, N.O. La.

Paul G.

posted November 1, 2011 at 9:41 am

That’s what Love & Devotion is all about!

JUSTINE NANDASE

posted November 1, 2011 at 9:53 am

It is my prayer that God rests their souls in eternal peace. And I pray for the grace of love so that I may also love my husband and visa viz.

Linda

posted November 1, 2011 at 9:57 am

It is so wonderful to see LOVE like this in today’s society. Be grateful that you had your parents for so long. May God keep you in His loving care…My parents were married for 57 years 3 months and 13 days she reminded everyone when my father passed away and I was so grateful to have them.

lynette

posted November 1, 2011 at 10:03 am

It is good to know that there is Real love after all. Touching story. very touching.

Joy

posted November 1, 2011 at 10:03 am

OMG this is so so beautiful. I am so sorry for the family lost. but to hear about how much two people loved each other, they were together for so many years. Love like this I believe no longer exist. I know the two of them together will be watching over their family. This is such a sad story, but yet a very beautiful one.

MARIA DIAZ

posted November 1, 2011 at 10:33 am

OMG!!!! JUST READING THIS SHORT STORY BROUGHT TEARS TO MY EYES…..HOW LUCKY THIS COUPLE WAS TO HAVE FOUND SUCH A DEEP LOVE….THEY AND THEIR FAMILY WERE SO BLESSED.

Bwilliams

posted November 1, 2011 at 10:37 am

God bless them both

nancy

posted November 1, 2011 at 10:44 am

so beautiful! what a perfect world it would be if everyone could experience that kind of “true love”. God Bless!

Adebo

posted November 1, 2011 at 10:48 am

God is so amazing. Who else can explain such an event?

Mildred

posted November 1, 2011 at 10:49 am

I think it is just beautiful. Thanks to the family for sharing it.

andra Fletcher

posted November 1, 2011 at 11:01 am

I am speechless. This is so remarakable. A good example of commitment for all couples.

athena

posted November 1, 2011 at 11:06 am

such a beautiful story,an i can only pray that’s how i leave this world with my beloved beside me,god bless them both

Alexandria Jones

posted November 1, 2011 at 11:15 am

The true meaning of “the two shall become one’ what a beautiful story. 72 years of true love, and being in love. Prayers to the family, and a celebration of ‘life’ to your parents

Gwen

posted November 1, 2011 at 11:24 am

What an incredible love for one another and truly til death did part, but not for long. It brought tears to my eyes and joy to my heart to know that that type of love does and can exist!!!!

Mary MacDonald

posted November 1, 2011 at 11:30 am

This is the most romantic thing I have ever heard. This is what you call real unconditional love & is very rare. My deepest condolences to the family. You now have 2 angels to watch over you.

Janet M Durbin

posted November 1, 2011 at 11:35 am

OMG, how touching. what a statement for true love.

Eve Garnier

posted November 1, 2011 at 12:37 pm

This is such a beautiful story. They must have been very special to have such a blessing. Know they are together and very happy. I knew 2 people that died in a car crash and he was driving and he was concerned for her and she was concerned not for herself either, he passed that day and she departed the next day. Also in their 80′S

Ms Tee

posted November 1, 2011 at 12:37 pm

This story was sad ,but happy at the same time. If we had half the happness that these two had life would be so great. GOD Bless the family,and know that God has them in his hands BE BLESS!

Marilyn Joy

posted November 1, 2011 at 12:50 pm

most beautiful story I ever heard regarding Our Spirit within. There hearts did and still do beat as one.This is a story of unconditional and never ending LOVE. They are now home where they came from.

Jenn

posted November 1, 2011 at 1:09 pm

That is the sweetest thing I have read in a long time. Thanks so much for sharing it and I am sorry for your loss.

Donna Corbin

posted November 1, 2011 at 1:14 pm

This is beautiful! Only God would let one heart lead the other.This is inspiring to all.God Bless them and may he assure the family in this loss.

angelica Samaan

posted November 1, 2011 at 1:37 pm

True Love,Inspiring.May both rest together now with the greater love of all Jesus.

Yvette Soto

posted November 1, 2011 at 1:40 pm

Although they were injured at the end, it is inspiring to know they were together “till death”. After 30 yrs, I lost my husband. He’ll be waiting for me as well. God bless you during this time of healing with strenght and many many blessings.

Yve

Rosie Vega

posted November 1, 2011 at 1:46 pm

This is the way to go . My husband and myself have been married 39yrs. I was 15 and my husband was 19 .WE have gone through thick and thin. Now together we serve The Lord together. God has a porpose for each one of us.God blessed this couple forever a set example for all who believe in true love

SUSANNE GARDINER

posted November 1, 2011 at 2:16 pm

WE NEED TO HEAR MORE BEAUTIFUL STORIES LIKE THIS STORY; ITS DEVOTION AND LOYALTY BETWEEN TWO PEOPLE SHOULD CAUSE US TO PAUSE AND REFLECT ON THE TRUE MEANING OF OUR LIVES.

Bridget Hartig

posted November 1, 2011 at 2:29 pm

What a heartwarming story of Love & Marriage.

What a heartwarming story of true “Love & Marriage”. What a privilege to have parents like that. I know they’re still holding hands!

EL'

posted November 1, 2011 at 2:42 pm

What a WONDERFUL story! I must say,that I cried,during and after, reading this. I guess,it’s true,what is said,when 2 people,say their vows…til death,do US part.

BGSW

posted November 1, 2011 at 3:18 pm

Wow what a Blessing to Have a Full Life with the one you Love and a even Better Eternal Life. This Couples Children, and Grandchildren where born in the House of Favor

JANE COLEY

posted November 1, 2011 at 3:39 pm

Although this is a story of someone losing their parents it has the sweetest most emotional ending. This is how I want my time to be with someone that I truly love.

Ann G

posted November 1, 2011 at 3:57 pm

this is an amazing story. it is so hard to find that kind of love these days. my mom passed last year from a one (1) year long fight with breast cancer and although she was 10 years older than my dad, they were married 42 years when she died.

Ms.Pat Fields

posted November 1, 2011 at 4:58 pm

this is an amazing story.sorry for the lost of they parents, MAY GOD BLESS YOU AND THE FAMILY.

Hope C. Thomas

posted November 1, 2011 at 6:34 pm

Oh My God. Thankyou for sharing that tragically beautiful story. Even from heaven our parents continue to teach us about life and true love. God bless you all.

Mz Bea

posted November 1, 2011 at 6:57 pm

What a touching story. Reminds us of what true is all about.

Allen Diehl

posted November 1, 2011 at 7:39 pm

This is a story about true love between two people. I hope that I am That lucky.

Donnie Munroe

posted November 1, 2011 at 7:59 pm

I thought this was so prescious. Indeed “In sickness and in health, till death do us part” and even then, death could not have separated them. God bless you children – you are rich with parents like your parents!

Sandy

posted November 1, 2011 at 9:12 pm

this is one of the most beautiful stories that I have heard about, may they both rest in peace, of course they will, they have each other.

moongirl35

posted November 1, 2011 at 9:52 pm

Very rare indeed. He found a lady that appreciated him and what he was all about. And vice versa. The years just add up and nothing separates but death. Should be nice.

Wendell

posted November 1, 2011 at 10:27 pm

This is the Greatest Love Story I have ever heard outside of the Holy Bible.The stuff that dreams are made of. Thank you for sharing those precious moments with us.

Jerrie

posted November 2, 2011 at 2:10 am

That is the sweetest story I ever heard.

Maureen

posted November 2, 2011 at 3:28 am

This is true love in action,what a sweet way to say goodbye to planet earth. I love the story and i pray for such a long relationship in my marriage.

Darlene

posted November 2, 2011 at 7:11 am

That is truly a blessing and a true symbol of LOVE may God be pleased with both of them. That is the true meaning of soul mates.

Vicky

posted November 2, 2011 at 7:20 am

How beautiful!!!

betty farias

posted November 2, 2011 at 11:34 am

that is what u call real love u don t hear about this any more my parents were the same way u should be so proud and bless to have those parents

Cha

posted November 2, 2011 at 1:22 pm

That story was simply beautiful! Although I know you are at ease knowing your parents doesn’t have to the worry or live without the other my heart goes out to you for losing both your parents.

Colleen R.

posted November 2, 2011 at 1:34 pm

How beautiful….thank you for sharing

cmayer

posted November 2, 2011 at 3:43 pm

This is a beautiful story, and a proof to show us we do have eternal life. God Bless Them and hold them dear On All Souls Day.

berry kidd

posted November 2, 2011 at 4:36 pm

that’s what till death do us part mean. absence from the body is presence with the Lord..i can only Hope and pray. beautiful story, that sounds like a ther sould be a movie, thumbs up. i’ll buy it.. God Bless

Helen

posted November 2, 2011 at 5:08 pm

They were really in love, even at their death

marnie

posted November 2, 2011 at 9:10 pm

Now that’s what I call ‘true love’, what a wonderful marriage that must have been, their children and grandchildren should be so proud of this couple. How I’d have loved to be able to say that I was like them. They are an inspiration in both life and in departure. Still together through it all. God bless them both RIP and may god and the angels look after them, and their smiling faces. I love that this story was shared. Thank you. Marnie

Joanie

posted November 3, 2011 at 9:48 am

This is so beautiful.They were as one.For 74 years and died that way.We could only hope for love that real in our life time. God Bless them both.

Liz Smith

posted November 3, 2011 at 10:53 am

I’m so happy that you guys had a Mom and Dad that loved each other so much! That’s what life is all about , our love for others and their love for us

Steve Fountain

posted November 3, 2011 at 1:23 pm

Rest in peace…….One life, one love!

Kanchan Mulmi

posted November 4, 2011 at 4:11 am

Liked alot to hear such a beautiful love story…… REST IN PEACE…… GOD BLESS THEM ALWAYS !!!

TRICIA

posted November 4, 2011 at 4:56 pm

That’s what you call love

Barbara

posted November 4, 2011 at 7:45 pm

BEAUTIFUL!!

Joanne

posted November 11, 2011 at 3:50 pm

This story is bitter sweet, it’s sad but at the same time it’s so touching. By reading it I felt the love of the couple and the way the story ends with the son’s final words it touched the dept of my soul. Just Beautiful!

Belinda

posted November 13, 2011 at 12:48 am

AWESOME!!! GOD IS GOOD!

dee

posted November 13, 2011 at 8:51 pm

that is the most beautiful going home i have ever read He was a true gentleman to the end May they rest in peace together in there new life.may all the men in his family follow in his foot steps and ladies follow mom foot steps.may GOD BLESS YOUR FAMILY

Xaria

posted November 15, 2011 at 9:32 pm

Posts like this brighten up my day. Thanks for tkanig the time.

pagansister

posted November 18, 2011 at 7:48 pm

Being apart wasn’t an option as their love was too strong—-the Goddess has embraced them both.

dot

posted November 26, 2011 at 12:21 am

what a beautiful story,there is true love in this day and time.may the lord bless each of them as they entered heaven. truly a beautiful story.

Dorothy

posted December 1, 2011 at 2:37 pm

This is not love that was earth bound, it so much more. Their love for each other was given to them from God for he is Love. That’s what unconditional love is all about, that’s how we should love one another, our fellow man. Most of all, that’s how much God loves us His heart beats in us. What a Beautiful and Inspiring Love Story. Well done Mr. Gordon and Mrs. Norma!

carrie mills

posted December 1, 2011 at 4:51 pm

thats story is sad but so beautiful.true love is so haed to come by, but i know that was true love .not to many people will ever feel the truelove

Berdell fleming

posted December 3, 2011 at 5:39 pm

What a wonderful hertiage alegacy of love.This family is blessed.

Violet Orr

posted December 7, 2011 at 4:28 am

That is what I call a LOVE STORY !!
Just beautiful.

Haskel

posted December 8, 2011 at 9:32 am

A gentleman always opens the door for a woman.
My inlaws are married 70 years and I can understand
What they must have been feeling.
Love can be beautiful. God bless them and your family.

shelia

posted December 8, 2011 at 9:53 am

When a couple is married, the minister says “and two shall become one flesh”. This really puts that into perspective.

Lola Gilliland

posted January 1, 2012 at 1:09 pm

NOW THAT’S LOVE MAKES YOU THINK OF YOUR SIGNIFICANT OTHERAND HOW LOVE STANDS TRUE ALL THE WAY TO HEAVEN’S GATE, WORRYING ABOUT ONE ANOTHER AND WAITING FOR EACH OTHER. BEAUTIFULL STORY.
TAHNK YOU

Helen

posted January 17, 2012 at 5:34 pm

I love this story.Its wonderful to hear about people that had that much love for each other.I know God was with them and took them both home with him.God Bless there family and be with them in there hours of need.