Beliefnet News

Beliefnet News

Muslims, Buddhists, Hindus to speak at National Cathedral’s 9/11 service, but no evangelicals

The National Cathedral in Washington, D.C., has scheduled “A Call to Compassion” interfaith prayer vigil on Sept. 11 — however not a single protestant or evangelical has been invited to participate.

Who was invited? A Roman Catholic bishop, a Jewish rabbi, Buddhist nun, a Hindu priest, the president of the Islamic Society of North America and a Muslim musician.

Notably excluded are 16.6 million Southern Baptists, America’s largest protestant denomination. Completely left off the program was anybody represented by the National Association of Evangelicals: No Prebyterians, Methodists, Lutherans, Congregationalists, Wesleyans or Mennonites. Nobody from the Church of Christ or the Assemblies of God.

“It’s not surprising,” said Frank Page, president of the Southern Baptist Convention Executive Committee. “There is a tragic intolerance toward Protestants and particularly toward evangelicals and I wish the president would refuse to speak unless it was more representative.”

Richard Weinberg, the Cathedral’s director of communications, confirmed that Southern Baptists were not extended an invitation to participate.

“The goal was to have interfaith representation,” he told reporters. “The Cathedral itself is an Episcopal church and it stands to reason that our own clergy serve as Christian representatives.”

There is the small problem that the Episcopal church is tiny these days — barely 2 million members nationwide. However, Weinberg said the Washington National Cathedral serves as the “spiritual home for the nation” and as such, he said that “diversity was first and foremost” a factor in the planning.

Allan

posted September 7, 2011 at 4:55 pm

The Episcopal Church may be small in size but the cathedral is still theirs. It is for them to decide who will speak there.

If I recall corectly, the official name of the Cathedral is “The Protestant Episcopal Cathedral of Saints Peter and Paul.” If this name were more often used, perhaps this whole situation would be more understandable.

I grew up Episcopalian, but left that Church when they first attempted to ordain women, which was contrary to 1900+ years of Holy Tradition, and contrary to Holy Scripture.

jestrfyl

posted September 7, 2011 at 6:04 pm

Evangelical groups define themselves a being oriented on conversion. As a part of that they also stress condemnation. Neither of those characteristics would be beneficial or welcomed at an event like this. They have by heir own words and actions ruled themselves out. Let them rend their t-shirts, moan & wail, and gnash their teeth, it will be good for them to feel the ostracism that they are so willing to use against others.

joe rael

posted September 7, 2011 at 8:54 pm

Considering the intolerance that the Protestant
faith as a whole has against all the other world religions I feel it’s refreshing to see a Protestant Church make such a bold statement. God is great and not limited by our small minds and despite the retoric of my God is true and your God is a false God, God will continue to exisit long after our bickering and hatred has faded into the anals of history. All glory to God Hindu, Muslim, Jewish, Buddhist, AND Christian. “Religions are a beautiful pearl and God is the String that goes thru each one making a Beautiful necklace.: Mohandas K Gandhi

Matti

posted September 8, 2011 at 4:29 am

I am very sad to hear it, but its is no problem.

I think GOD is very sad also, but is a big problem.

m.e. graves

posted September 8, 2011 at 7:11 am

And what would this blog say if they had invited Jim Wallis to represent the Protestant faith? The conservative evangelical movement has had almost thirty years of unilateral control over the national discourse on religion in America, and we see the fruits of their deeds.

Steve

posted September 8, 2011 at 7:23 am

As you can clearly see, Christians are going to be persecuted in this country because we turn the other cheek or were just thinking God is going to protect us. The NWO Religion is not going to be Christian but a Devils Doctrine like Islam. As far as I am concerned if we do not ignite behind a presidental cand like Ron Paul who is for Christians then we get what we deserve.If we do not ignite Christians together and take back our country from these devils, then were done..

Flo

posted September 8, 2011 at 7:28 am

The writing is on the wall, problem is too many are too blind to read it. IT is truly the end times.

Patsy Davis

posted September 8, 2011 at 7:49 am

Why aren’t Christians allowed to pray on 9/11? Christians were involved with that attack as well. It isn’t fair for Christians to be excluded from praying on 9/11. If Christians can’t pray, then why can Muslims, etc. We have the same right to pray as the other groups!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Yosanah

posted September 8, 2011 at 8:16 am

First: there is no God, but the God of Abraham, Isaac, and Jacob!
Second: He does not like mixed seed! Some of the churches today read or have read in their service on Sunday verses from the coran, therefore accepting the god of the muslims as their god. (and we know that sllah does not have a son so he could not be our God). And that is totally wrong! We should be returning to our Hebrew Roots. (Check ). So maybe is a blessing in disguise that the real Christians are not allowed to participate. Besides, we can pray anywhere and God hears our prayers. Also Christians should not be involved in politics, because our real home is not here! So let them wonder…and be happy, because we know that this is very short lived! Even the devil know that he has a short time! So brethren, when you see all these things happening look up to the sky, for our redemption draws near! Baruch HaShem!

Ruth Egenes

posted September 8, 2011 at 9:13 am

This is disgraceful! They are trying to make this a Muslim country! I have lived here for over 50 years and I love my Lord and Saviour and I am a Lutheran. I think it’s disgusting that they only want Muslims, Buddhists, Hindus, etc. This is OUR COUNTRY!

Larry Badgley

posted September 8, 2011 at 9:43 am

This is concerning that our Country, which was built on freedom of religion and speech and to great extent lead by Prebyterians, Methodists, Lutherans, Congregationalists, Wesleyans or Mennonites, as well as the Church of Christ or the Assemblies of God.

These opened the doors that allowed the Muslims,Buddhists and Hindus to worship freely and they do not want them to participate.

I am very concerned for the phrase “in God we Trust.” It seems to be going away and Our ONCE Great Nation will soon follow and I am even more concerned for my children.

cindy

posted September 8, 2011 at 10:02 am

thou shalt not kill….unless your view,beliefs,God,clothing,etc is different from mine-then it’s okay. NOT. Think before you act.

Wildstar

posted September 8, 2011 at 10:42 am

You are right, Flo, it is the end times. The problem is that people don’t like to be told they are doing wrong; sinning. What they prefer is to have their egos massaged and have a god in their own image and likeness. However, Christ is returning and no one’s opinion is going to stop that from happening. And when He does arrive, it will be so sudden and so quick that most of the humans left will be screaming in terror because now they have to face the One they ridiculed for so long. I really don’t give a crap if anyone objects to this.

Timby

posted September 8, 2011 at 11:22 am

It seems those screaming the loudest about intolerance are those that are the most intolerant. If I were to burn a Koran, I would be in danger for my life. While bible burnings are a way of life in many Muslim countries. The last time I checked the folks that drove the planes into the towers were those happy go luck crazy Muslim kids. Just out for a joy ride and missed the airport. NOT.

Now we have our liberal folks saying hey you Christians aren’t tolerant of others. You’ve planted those pesky crosses all over the country. Look at all those crosses at the cemeteries. Don’t you know that I hate crosses. BTW love that Christmas holiday though.

I’m not saying that we don’t have some militants. You know those that go over board. However, I’ve not seen the Baptist, Methodist, etc doing suicide runs in other countries. Of course I could have missed it on CNN.

Back to the point. Intolerance has been redefined of late. There are those that state intolerance is anything that doesn’t match their opinion of how things should be. They want to do anything they feel is OK and when they cross the line into another person’s faith or space. The folks are intolerant of them.

Again those that are crying the loudest are those that feel they’re being oppressed when in reality they’re only perceiving their oppression. This country allows freedom of religion. Unless it Christian. If your and Atheist you can have landmarks removed because it offends you. Even though the vast majority aren’t bothered or offended. Yet they cry look Christians are intolerant of us.

So in reality those crying the loudest are those that are really the oppressors as Christians have been the silence majority for many years. Yes they will attempt to share their faith some more zealous
than others. However, I’ve not seen Christians flying planes into buildings or sending Christian Children into crowded area to have them blown up. What I have seen is group after group of Christians going to the aid of others. Ask those in Joplin and New Orleans. When FEMA wasn’t on the ground group after group of Christians provided aid and assistance.

Of course there are those with short memories and have already forgotten. That’s OK. Just remember the next time a calamity strikes your area don’t forget to ask the folks coming to your aid if they’re Christian. That way you won’t have to accept their help. You can always rely on Washington to help you out. Should they ever arrive.

Let the Flame Wars begin…..

Monk21

posted September 8, 2011 at 11:42 am

Well, for once they didn’t leave the Catholics out. When Jesus started the Catholic church he said it would be around until they end of days. Maybe soon people will believe him.

Bishop Harrison Johnson

posted September 8, 2011 at 11:48 am

I’m not surprised that they have excluded us. Jesus is being excluded everyday from some beliefs. It’s OK for me. For my God is bigger than all their Gods together. He doesn’t need that plateform. Because He is Omnipresent anyway!!!

Terry Harmon

posted September 8, 2011 at 12:31 pm

It is a shame that pastor like Billy Graham was not invited to speak.That is ok the next time these that are going to speak and want input from the Baptists or other groups and they are told no. To wanting these jerks help.When was the last time the Muslims, Buddist, or even the Hindus came to help out here in America dissasters? Never. The Baptist of Oklahoma have traveled the nation after hurricanes and brought their trucks to feed people. Have brought their chainsaws crew to cut trees . So what has the other groups done I ask you? To say that this one church speaks for all the Christians in this nation is crazy. Have this church called all the churches in this country and said we do not want your input on the 9-11 time. This just goes to show where this country has gone to. It went straight to hell in a hand basket and I’m afraid stayed there. Where are the folks screaming the seperation of church and state at / I guess I have too many questions to ask here and too many toes I can step on . I do not want folks to think that I am a perfect person . Which by the way I’m not by any means. But how many other people out there have some of the same questions? WHY? Is there that much indifference to this country’s churches and the regilon of man here? I am no bible scholar or a pastor of a church, jusy a lay person who wonders why the people in this nation are so stupid.The bible spells things out word for word, black and white and even red in some cases when Jesus was speaking. We should take a long time and examine ourseleves before we are perfect. The Christian faith is the foremost faith in this country but there are some folks who do not want anything to do with GOD, JESUS, THE HOLY SPRIRT they get upset with on our money the court house walls ,but in congress it is ok to start with a prayer as long as fo not mention Jesus name.I wonder what would GOD say to us if we were to ask the same questions to him on this matter????? This does raise some good questions and I believe GOD is watching, listening, thinking as what to do with people like us. Here is one other question for you. WHY CAN’T WE LOVE EACH OTHER AS OURSELF ? i MEAN gOD TOLD TOLD US TO DO THAT .

Bridget Hartig

posted September 8, 2011 at 12:39 pm

I think this is outrageous! We are all brothers and sisters worshipping our God. If ever there was a time for national worship, it is now. God Bless Us All!

jJan

posted September 8, 2011 at 2:09 pm

There are a lot of christians in this nation, & we are highly insulted to be excluded from prayerful participation.

dave

posted September 8, 2011 at 3:19 pm

Is the bishop invited a Roman Catholic bishop or Episcopal bishop? Other news stories on this event doesn’t mention that the bishop is Roman Catholic. Maybe a little fact checking needs to be done here. thanks.

laci

posted September 8, 2011 at 4:47 pm

I think that the ones who organized the vigil with the religious sects involved are contradicting religious freedom! I mean god himself could care less about all this, he is bigger than this and we have to realize that, because you know all should know that, that’s how they expect us to react because they intentionally excluded those Christian denominations. We can’t let them win by letting our irrational emotions take over. Think of how Jesus reacted when they crucified him, he didn’t let them see that they were putting him through excruciating pain. Just remember that and It will be alright, it will all lay out for its self in the end for us all.

pastor john

posted September 8, 2011 at 5:33 pm

I am a veteran of 3 seperate armed conflicts against non christian threats to the security of the United States, today I am aSouthern Baptist Ordained Minister. I do not understand I do not understand…Mr. President why why why….tolerance does not mean copitulation to the others! Why Why all the dead military if the President gives it all away? jb

DeLee

posted September 8, 2011 at 7:36 pm

THANK God they didn’t invite the Evangelicals.– they are a blind unthinking group who follow the ignorant Tea Party and every uneducated suggestion they—whether good for country or not.All the person has to do is mention God and they are off and running.I’M A cHRISTION –A Methodist and the Soutern Baps. are a nut group. Is the Catholic P. not a Christian or are the Evang. the only ones going to Heaven? Heaven help us if someone from the Tea party gets in office.Amen

Phillip wochner

posted September 8, 2011 at 9:19 pm

They were probably thinking about that Lutheran pastor who was attacked by members of hisw own denomination accusing him of accepting other religions as equal to Christianity. He was not. He was representing Christianity and reaching out.

Abambagibus

posted September 8, 2011 at 9:42 pm

While acquiescently tolerant of the intolerance of the other Faiths, JOE RAEL in his adamant intolerance of what he believes to be the adamant intolerance of the Protestant Faith, as if this were its principal if not its only characteristic, is inspiring. He induces me to remember that the human animal is as spiritual as an animal can be. Ab Ambagibus Fortasse.

James

posted September 8, 2011 at 11:29 pm

Satan is happy… Thank you Mr. President for being such a traitor and coward to the United States.

June

posted September 9, 2011 at 3:24 am

Once you were a blessed nation, your predecessors established your nation base on Christianity faith.
You are so called liberalism country have gone too liberal…

From Indonesia we pray for you…

Esther

posted September 9, 2011 at 6:46 am

For your information a Catholic bishop is also a christian… believe in Jesuschrist the only son of God as our saviour!!!!Catholic means UNIVERSAL !!! for everybody !!!and this church was found by Jesus himself in the year 33 !! :”Thou art Peter and upon this rock I will build my church and the gates of hell shall not prevail against it !! Matthew 16:18 american King James version. End of story !! God bless you all !!

Rob Kerby, Senior Editor

posted September 9, 2011 at 9:54 am

As to the comment that a Catholic bishop is a Christian as well. Your editor is a former layworker at a Catholic mission in Guatemala. I was friends with Father Stanley Rother, who was martyred in the civil war there just after telling me I had to get out. He gave his life for his flock and was devoted to translating the New Testament into Tzutujil. Asserting he didn’t love Jesus or wasn’t a Christian is, well, just too absurd to discuss. When I walk through the Pearly Gates, I expect him to be there and give me a hard time.

Don Maloney

posted September 9, 2011 at 10:22 am

If we do not put God back in the center of our Country all is lost. We were founded as one nation under “GOD”.Lets demand we get back there.

J. Regan

posted September 9, 2011 at 11:00 am

What a joke! We are supposed to be a people for all people. Catholics are Christians but also there should be someone from the Methodist, Presbyterian or Baptist Church there, you note I only said one of these. I don’t think I will want to see this so called memorial.

George Gentes

posted September 9, 2011 at 1:06 pm

I laud the Cathedral for their inclusion on this special day of commemoration! Last I checked, Roman Catholics are “Christian” and represent all Christians well. There are not different sects of Jews, Hindus, or Muslims represented. Why should Christians have extra representation unless to highlight our own intolerance of one another’s views? Very unfortunate, indeed!

Randy

posted September 9, 2011 at 1:26 pm

I’m sure the Catholic bishop will be glad to know that the Episcopalians are there to speak for Christians. So it’s just the Catholic & Episcopalian Christians? Nice.

Mimi

posted September 9, 2011 at 5:35 pm

Are we not still a free country? Go to the Cathedral America! We are still a Christian nation… we just won’t stand up for our God given rights any more.

Since when is an invitation needed to enter a church?

jb jeffers

posted September 10, 2011 at 3:44 am

it is unfortunate that a select few can select who represents the christian factions of the great US that was once upon a time a christian nation and a nation founded upon those beliefs. Sorry for yall i hope you are able to get Gods forgiveness before the end, im sorry for your soul but will not miss you in heaven because only the believers will be in heaven with me. God bless America but most of all God please bless the christians and have mercy on the others..

AR Guillory

posted September 10, 2011 at 10:48 am

Know this – I am a ROMAN CATHOLIC – and Greek and other Nationalities CATHOLIC are CHRISTians as well – We all believe in God the Father all mighty, creator of heaven and earth and in Jesus Christ his only Son, our Lord who was conceived by the Holy Spirit, Born of the Virgin Mary who was cruicified for our sins, died and was buried and who rose on the 3rd. day.
I think this is what you (protestant) also believe in – right?

June

posted September 10, 2011 at 11:54 am

“What sorrow awaits my rebellious children,”says the Lord. “You make plans that are contrary to mine.You make alliances not directed by my Spirit,thus piling up your sins.

(Matthew 19:30)
But many who are the greatest now will be least important then, and those who seem least important now will be the greatest then.

How can a nation founded upon christian faith, a blessed nation end up this way..why can’t u have more than one christian representatives there? Your economy, your sky and land is shaking…where your help comes from??? Dun you think you’ve gone too far..dun you think it’s time to repent. (Ezekiel 37)‘Dry bones, listen to the word of the Lord! Look! I am going to put breath into you and make you live again!
For all American christian…(Isaiah 60 said..) Arise, shine;For your light has come!
And the glory of the LORD is risen upon you.
Jesus is watching..Jesus loves you, God almighty ..El Shaddai, El Gibbor! Hallelujah…From Indonesia we pray for you.

sweetspirit

posted September 11, 2011 at 4:50 pm

this is very very sad day in the church. when christians are not invited to pray. i can see the Father now WEEPING. AMERICA was founded on christian principals.The Church now is the time to wake up before something more tragic happens.God will not stand by and see himself mocked.Everyone had the right to be there today. How many people were insulted by this action. May GOD FORGIVE YOU…….. WHAT ARE YOU AFRAID OF…

Joe Rael

posted September 11, 2011 at 4:51 pm

I’m really sorry but I didn’t understand what this comment meant. Maybe I’m ignorant, if so please excuse my ignorance..but if you could enlighten me ,Abamagibus. Thank you and God Bless

Frances Kenney

posted September 11, 2011 at 8:14 pm

It is sad but true, only a few who serve GOD in this country are left out of important events. We are the ones who can get a prayer through to GOD. We can seriously ask GOD to “bless America” and know within our hearts that God will bless America for our sakes.

Abambagibus

posted September 13, 2011 at 4:37 pm

Terry Harmon, among the few, is an enlightened sylvan glade in a forest of uncharitable darkness.

Allan

posted September 14, 2011 at 8:54 pm

Certain “Evangelicals” writing on this story have complained that “Christians” have not been allowed to speak and pray at this service. Perhaps if they would acknowledge that Roman Catholics and Episcopalians are Christians, they would have been invited.

Rob Kerby, Senior Editor

posted September 14, 2011 at 10:34 pm

Your editor is a Roman Catholic in good standing, a former layworker in Latin America.

Pastor Andrew A. Monteiro

posted September 14, 2011 at 9:37 pm

Actually, you didn’t mention any predominately African American denominations either in your list of who was left out, like African Methodist Episcopalians, Church of God in Christ or Pentecostal Assemblies of the World among others. So I have to wonder, who is worst, the people who didn’t ask evangelicals to speak, or the evangelicals who obviously only acknowledge “white denominations ” as having a right to speak?

Evermyrtle

posted September 17, 2011 at 2:31 pm

This is a perfect example of how America had deteriated in the last 30 months.This deteration started many years ago with blame aplenty for the last several presidents in an the imposible to destroy our GOD AND HIS SON attempt.
Our faith in GOD has been greatly discouraged, and Christians are being persecuted for out exhibiting any signs of belief in our SAVIOUR, JESUS CHRIST in many areas of this “once” great nation. I fear, as America turns away from the HOLY TRINITY it will turn away from us as a nation, though I know HE will continue to be with us, who love and trust HIM. I with all true Christains will not be deterred through any trial or trubulation, with HIS help which we will have as long as we desire it. We cannot, we won’t step back and give in to this evil force which is about to engulf America. When JESUS returns to this earth all of the evil forces will be destroyed, even though they do not believe this is possible.