Beliefnet News

Beliefnet News

Leaving God out of Pledge tees off Ohio congressman

By SABRINA EATON
c. 2011 Religion News Service

WASHINGTON (RNS) NBC’s decision to edit the word “God” from the Pledge of Allegiance during last weekend’s coverage of the U.S. Open golf tournament has teed off an Ohio congressman, who wants the U.S. Golf Association to reconsider its relationship with the television network.

“When we silence the name of God, we dim the light of freedom that defines us,” Rep. Jim Renacci wrote in a letter sent Tuesday (June 21) to association Executive Director Mike Davis. “That is why this matters.”

The words “under God” were edited out of a patriotic montage that featured children reciting the Pledge of Allegiance; announcer Dan Hicks later apologized to viewers, saying, “It was not done to upset anyone, and we’d like to apologize to those of you who were offended by it.”

“Although I was pleased to see that NBC has apologized for its role in this unfortunate incident, as an avid fan of the sport and as an American, I would ask that USGA consider reviewing its relationship with NBC in advance of any future events,” Renacci’s letter continued.

The freshman Republican said that if the USGA chooses to partner with NBC again, it should “remain mindful of its role in controlling creative content and work to ensure” that similar incidents don’t happen again.

Golf Digest magazine recently ranked Renacci as one of the best golfers among Washington political operatives — tied for 39th place. House Speaker John Boehner, a fellow Ohioan who played golf with President Obama last weekend, was ranked 43rd.

(Sabrina Eaton writes for The Plain Dealer in Cleveland.)

blueshoes

posted June 22, 2011 at 5:45 pm

well God is left out of our schools, and every other place. And even the government wants to take God off our money too.
This world is one great big mess. If WE had God back where he belongs this world would not be as it is now.

nnmns

posted June 22, 2011 at 8:33 pm

Actually during the greatest eras of America “under God” was not in the Pledge. E.g. the Greatest Generation, while fighting and winning WWII, said the form of the Pledge without it, the original form, the one I say.

“Under God” should not be in there; it’s divisive and gives opportunities to rabble rousers like Renacci.

pagansister

posted June 22, 2011 at 9:42 pm

“Under God” should never have been put in the Pledge to begin with. When saying the Pledge, I do not say those 2 words—I remember when it was inserted.

If we had God in this world it wouldn’t be where it is now? You must be kidding, blueshoes. Many wars have been fought in the name of GOD (and of course, those folks thought God was on THEIR side). God has been the reason for many, many conflicts–wars–torture— I think we can do without any god in our Pledge or public areas of our country. That is what churches, synagogues,temples etc. are for as well as a person’s own residence.

cknuck

posted June 22, 2011 at 9:50 pm

nnmns or pagan I would love to see either of you in the trenches spouting the whole anti-God stuff during either WW1 or WW2 I would love to see how that would work out for you. lol. Oh that’s right neither of you would even lift a finger in combat to defend this country.

nnmns

posted June 22, 2011 at 10:48 pm

You don’t know that cknuck, you’re just mad because we’re right and you can’t respond. And all we know is that you claim to have been in service. But you claim all kinds of things.

jestrfyl

posted June 22, 2011 at 11:59 pm

Smoke and mirrors, folks – it’s all just smoke and mirrors. This congressman sees an opportunity to jump on the safest, slowest moving bandwagon in the whole parade. No one outside of his constituency has heard of him and he is making a play for the national media. He is the worst of the pandering & pandering polito-posseurs. This is the sort of thing you might expect in the summer season of no real news.

Keep moving along – nothing to see here – go on to your jobs or work – nothing to see here.

Allan

posted June 23, 2011 at 7:29 am

I was in High School, in the fifties, when they put the words “under God” in the pledge. It took me several years to get used to putting it in. Now the PCers want me to drop it. Sorry, but, at 73, I am not as flexible as I was when I was a teenager.

pagansister

posted June 23, 2011 at 1:12 pm

cknuck: I would “life” a finger to help defend this country(as you put it) so you would have the right to say I wouldn’t do so. Sorry, I was too young (being born a year before WWII was over) to “life any fingers:. My Dad and Uncle did that.

pagansister

posted June 23, 2011 at 1:16 pm

BTW cknuck, having been and still going through some medical situations with my husband, I haven’t found the need to ask any “divne being” to “make it better”. Doubt it would happen if I was being used as a target in war—however, I would have enough respect for others to keep my ideas to myself unless asked. Perhaps that courtesy would be extended from others at that time to.

mudplanet

posted June 23, 2011 at 3:15 pm

“under god” was added to the pledge in the 1950s by fundamentalists and evangelists. It has no place in a national pledge for a secular republic.

“In god we trust” was added to our currency and coin at the same time. It has no place in government issued currency, but was added by the fundamentalists and evangelists.

I try to be respectful of others superstitions and beliefs, but they don’t seem to have the attitude toward my beliefs. The USA is a secular nation with a charter defining it as such. You’re free to engage in religion/superstition all you like, but not to bring it into government and thereby force it upon everyone else.

Your Name

posted June 23, 2011 at 5:30 pm

Frankly, from the evidence I,ve seen, there really isn,t much that doesn,t “tee off” fundies. Pretty much every post cknuck types shows a lot of evidence of being “teed off” at something/someone that in some way differs/disagrees with what he seems to believe. Why is it fundies have to assert/get there way in everything these days? In fact, ever since the 50s when they had to insert God into the pledge and the currency. God-speak seems to permeate America now – much to the detriment of the Constitution that governs ALL citzens – even the non “Christians”. I remember when America promised freedom of religion to ALL citizens. Now America craps on that promise.

cknuck

posted June 23, 2011 at 7:21 pm

YN what does “Tee” me off is being called a name I am not I am an American no a fundie there are several names that people could you fellows that would make you cry but yet you think it is okay for you to do it. So do i sound teed off I’m not you just are a delicate fellow a little tender when people disagree with you, you think they are teed off, kinda scary guy huh?
Considering most statements are non-religious statements the ratio is in the atheist favor even though there are more of us than you seems pretty fair to me.

gaetano

posted June 25, 2011 at 6:03 am

Sorry, But I would rather believe in God in America, then Obama. I have trust and faith when I believe in God. I have nothing to believe in Obama for. I also cannot trust our crooked government.They are the Godless hippies of the 60′s. One day our world will be over, and I belive it will be because fools like you took God away from our home. BUT, you will never take God from our hearts.

pagansister

posted June 25, 2011 at 8:34 pm

Keep Him/Her in your heart where he/she belongs then gaetano. Wouldn’t want to take that away!

Loved the statement of “Godless hippies if tge 60′s. Got a great laugh from that—Thanks. :o). Disagree, but the laugh was good.

cknuck

posted June 26, 2011 at 10:11 pm

pagan your command as to where to keep God is as laughable as the godless hippies remark. I needed a laugh.

pagansister

posted June 28, 2011 at 7:46 pm

Glad I could be of assistance, cknuck. :o)