Beliefnet News

Beliefnet News

11-year-old boy refused to recite pledge, will lead San Antonio gay pride parade

Eleven-year-old Will Phillips will help lead this year’s San Antonio, Texas, gay pride parade. As a fifth grader in the rural town of West Fork, Arkansas, he refused to recite the Pledge of Allegiance. Now homeschooled because of negative local reaction, he has also taken up the cause of homosexual rights. Because of his outspoken activism, he will be a special guest at the gay pride parade, officials said.

The American Family Association said in a statement, “He’s obviously just parroting the nonsense he’s been told by manipulative adults. For gay activists to trot out this child and make him the poster child for promoting unnatural sexual expression is a form of child abuse.”

CLICK HERE to read article

Salcia

posted June 30, 2011 at 3:26 pm

The AFA may say he’s being manipulated by adults, but if he were echoing the belief that homosexuality is wrong and disgusting and unnatural, we’d be hearing about the wisdom that comes from the mouths of babes. I’ve certainly seen lots of kids on that side of the “nonsense-parroting” spectrum, as it were.

Mordred08

posted June 30, 2011 at 8:47 pm

A child raised to think all Americans should be treated equally is a victim of “child abuse”? A vicious accusation by shameless and desperate individuals. I think the AFA is just mad that they’re not as brave as this kid.

cknuck

posted June 30, 2011 at 10:10 pm

Weird, a child missing out on his childhood for adult sex debates. SAD shame on the parade also they are not G-PG or PG13 rated not a good place for a child anyone that would stoop to use a child in such a way is depraved.

Mordred08

posted June 30, 2011 at 11:18 pm

ck, the gays aren’t the ones calling him names and sending him death threats. That’s depraved.

Cosmicblue

posted July 1, 2011 at 8:41 am

Shame that a fifthgrader refused to say the pledhe of allegiance .Its so sad ,if you think of all those who have laid down their lives for the freedoms we have been blessed with.I believe he and his parents owe our military and vetd a huge appology, or if they dont like the USA, then ,see if there s another country in the world who would protect their rights,priveledges, as they refuse to pledge allegiance and march a fith grader down a main st. promoting homosexuality.Its unamerican. in my oppinion.I have many reletives who suffer from the effects of being held prisoner during war and maimed so you have your rights.what a stench in the nostrils of them.

Henrietta22

posted July 1, 2011 at 2:41 pm

This new young citizen growing-up saw the hypocricy in the words: “Freedom and Justice for all”, in the Pledge of Alligence. He is aware of the Gay people not having freedom and justice for all, and he is making a statement in the only way he can. If I had been his teacher I would have taken him aside and explained that our forefathers of America have given us a blueprint of what America should be and all adults have not been able to live up to what we are supposed to stand for in America. I would tell him to say the Pledge because hopefully if we repeat it enough times the words may make someone saying them become aware of their meaning and work towards that goal. That when he grows up he should pick a profession where he can make a difference in our America for the good of all.

cknuck

posted July 1, 2011 at 2:46 pm

mordred if that’s true or added drama. I don’t believe it because all of those things are can be prosecuted both criminally and civilly and from the air about this I know who ever is putting this kid up to this would not miss a chance to sue. Fortunately most folk now days don’t just swallow any old media sat before them. this is propaganda promotion probably driven and choreographed by agenda driven older folk.

Louise

posted July 1, 2011 at 2:51 pm

Leviticus 20:13If a man also lie with mankind, as he lieth with a woman, both of them have committed an abomination: they shall surely be put to death; their blood [shall be] upon them.

Quentin Riha

posted July 1, 2011 at 4:44 pm

Shame on his parents! That young man has no idea how many of our young men and women died for his freedonm.

Mordred08

posted July 1, 2011 at 8:40 pm

cknuck, the boy said in the article he’s received at least one death threat. You can claim all day long that his parents or gay activists or even the devil told him to say that, but I live here in the Deep South and I know just how vicious people can get when LGBT issues come up.

Louise, Leviticus 20:13 only shows how useless the Bible is as a code of conduct in the 21st century. Homosexuality harms no one, period. And yet people are willing to commit murder over it. If I live to be 100, I’ll never understand why.

Cosmicblue and Quentin Riha, you talk about how soldiers died for Will’s freedom not to pledge to the flag. Isn’t it kind of dishonoring their sacrifice to say he shouldn’t use that freedom as he sees fit?

The irony is that the first group to sue for the right not to say the pledge was Christian: the Jehovah’s Witnesses in the 1940s. Needless to say, they too were branded as traitors and faced persecution and violence. Let’s hope history doesn’t repeat itself at least on that last part.

cknuck

posted July 1, 2011 at 11:59 pm

Mordred I don’t believe it the threat could be pinpointed and there is no doubt in my mind action would have been taken. All the high-powered homosexuals that are surrounding this kid and propping him up as a mascot would easily use their money to prove the point and produce a villain. I am confident it is staged. Plus you cannot say homosexuality does not harm it does often you should look at the number that relate HIV to male on male homosexuality in the states also there are other factors like group homosexual sex heighten by the use of meth and other sex drugs. This is a free country and homosexuality is acceptable here so no one should harass homosexuals but at the same time myths should not surround the practice to make it more acceptable.

Mordred08

posted July 2, 2011 at 1:47 am

You’re generalizing, ck. Not all gay people have group sex or use drugs or have AIDS. And I don’t where you’re coming up with this crap about a rich, powerful homosexual conspiracy controlling the media.

Laura

posted July 2, 2011 at 11:07 am

Not equal treatment is a fallacy… Homosexuals have the very same rights and privileges that I have. They have the right to marry someone of the opposite gender. Just like I do. No discrimination is happening. They want extra rights because the believe gender and sexual attraction is fluid.

Can’t wait until the serial killers are wanting the laws against murder to be removed cause they were born to be killers. Or, pedophiles want the laws against marrying kids to be abolished because they were born sexually attracted to kids and babies. The list goes on and on. Where does it end? Society has every right to define laws that promote the well being and continued existence of their citizens. Marriage is not a right it’s a privledge we enjoy because of our founding fathers chose to align with Gods law.

I also like how even beliefnet continues to put forth big bad Christian stories but chooses to ignore all the hate speech coming from the opposite side. No h8 should apply to yourselves too. And let’s not forget tolerance is a two-way street either.

cknuck

posted July 2, 2011 at 1:12 pm

yeah and kids should be at a homosexual pride parade? They are usually x-rated. That fact that this makes sense to his parents and other supposedly responsible adults speaks volumes

Henrietta22

posted July 2, 2011 at 4:46 pm

Beaches should be x-rated, too. Some ads in the magazines as well, oh but that’s o.k. because……..You fill in the blank, anyone?

Mordred08

posted July 2, 2011 at 5:01 pm

ck, how many pride parades have you been to?

Laura, if you people believe we’re as dangerous to society as serial killers and pedophiles, why don’t you lock us up, or put us on some kind of sex offenders list? Because deep down you know you’re full of it. You label us as perverts and criminals because you hate us and you aren’t happy when we’re not suffering like you think we should for the horrible crime of loving someone.

cknuck

posted July 2, 2011 at 7:24 pm

Mordred I don’t think (at least I hope not) that Laura meant that homosexuals are criminals most are not but she may feel that the condition of homosexuality is a stray from the norm. Although the medical folk has taken homosexuality off of the mental health disorder list there is some evidence that it was a political move, (maybe a good one too) but recent studies show homosexuals suffer from higher rates of suicide, depression, bulimia, antisocial personality disorder, hyper social personality disorders, and substance abuse. a high rate of suicide is unique to homosexuality and some may try to blame it all on bullying but I argue that homosexuality itself is manifestation of a dislike of one’s self. It is hard to understand a condition that has no explanation. I am not trying to be mean but the truth is something other than what we are being told.

Mordred08

posted July 2, 2011 at 9:23 pm

ck: “I don’t think (at least I hope not) that Laura meant that homosexuals are criminals most are not but she may feel that the condition of homosexuality is a stray from the norm”

She compared gays to criminals. Clearly she thinks gays are criminals.

“a high rate of suicide is unique to homosexuality and some may try to blame it all on bullying but I argue that homosexuality itself is manifestation of a dislike of one’s self”

And I argue that you’re more likely to hate yourself if you’re repeatedly told you’re a pervert and a sinner by the people who are supposed to love and care about you, especially when you’re young and naive to just how cruel ordinary people can be. When my mother found out about my first boyfriend, she was vicious, calling him every name in the book and treating me like I was mentally challenged for even being attracted to another guy. I didn’t kill myself over it, but some young people in my situation might have, thinking “my own mother thinks I’m a freak, so what chance do I have with anyone else?” You guys attack people and demonize them because you want to shame them into changing their ways, but when they become so self-loathing that they hurt themselves, you all blame it on their “lifestyle”.

“It is hard to understand a condition that has no explanation.”

But you don’t want to understand it. You just want it to go away.

cknuck

posted July 2, 2011 at 11:02 pm

you are wrong murdered I do what to understand that is why i study homosexuality and why I counsel so many. I am very successful with my homosexual clients. For my work success is not conversion therapy. I help homosexual clients to stop condemning themselves, stop hurting themselves

Jay Phillips

posted July 4, 2011 at 1:05 pm

<—- questionable parent in question.

My name is Jay and I am Will's father.

The threats are real. Our neighbor down the street threatened him for riding his bike. We pressed a charge of misdemeanor harassment but as we aren't litigious people we didn't sue and wouldn't sue. Our family knows and has known many gay people for years and have seen first hand the abuse they suffer and the resilience of spirit & dignity under fire that they evidence in their daily lives. They are walking, talking, breathing arguments for CIVIL equality and the rights of man.

When Will first approached me about not wanting to say the pledge I asked him why in the WORLD he wouldn't! He said that it was a solemn vow and that should not be mindlessly said by rote recitation.

We "indoctrinated" our son with critical thinking, civic pride, and a love of US History. After skipping from 3rd to 5th grad, despite a precarious social situation, he opted to stop saying the pledge because he observed a lack of "liberty and justice for all". When he asked me if he had the right to refuse I told him that he did indeed but he also had the right not to sing "happy birthday" at a birthday party. I said that despite his reasons, either way he's gonna look like a jerk. I encouraged him to pick his battles and told him that sometimes it's easier to just "go with the flow".

He told me "Yes it's easier to just go with the flow but then nothing ever changes." Such is the measure of HIS commitment.

When the press came knocking, my first instinct was to shut them out completely but my son told me, despite the perils involved, that he wanted to speak out if it helped to "raise awareness or elevate the discussion". After allowing him to speak, we hunkered down as a family & rejected every offer that came our way. (You'll note there was no Phillips Phamily reality show. lol!) Fame is toxic and doubly so to children. The notoriety he retains for his beliefs has allowed him to speak out at venues across the nation in support of equal treatment under the civil law. We have allowed him to speak because it has been empowering to him, because he's GOOD AT IT, and because we agree with him wholeheartedly. We have not made a dime off of it and have drained our savings in the process.

I wish I could tell you that he's an autistic child who's been manipulated by unscrupulous adults to be the mouthpiece for gay sex acceptance.

That would be far easier for you to accept.

However, the bad news is that he's a very bright, deeply conscientious, highly motivated American child who believes that all Americans deserve equal treatment under the civil law and has set himself to seeing that this is so.

To paraphrase him, he is the change you most fear in the world. He is part of the changing face of America and represents a generation of Americans who will judge you as harshly as we now judge former generations of bigots, racists, and opponents of liberty.

You are facing a libertarian uprising from the future and that future will not remember you kindly.

Good luck, and God bless.

-jay

pagansister

posted July 4, 2011 at 8:43 pm

THANK YOU, Jay Phillips, as the father of the child in the article, for telling us how it really is.

(being skeptical, I do hope that the above is actually who he claims to be).

cknuck

posted July 5, 2011 at 1:32 am

You took way too much pleasure in threatening the country with your 11 year old child. Seems like a lot of pressure for a 11 yr old who should be running jumping and playing instead of being a pawn.

Angela

posted July 6, 2011 at 11:01 am

NOT IMPRESSED AT ALL! This kid is only acting out what he’s been taught by the adults in his life. Just so u know, Im the mother of a young man who has served and fought for your rights & the rights of EVERYONE in this nation.