Beliefnet News

Beliefnet News

N.J. Supreme Court Declines to Take Gay Marriage Case

posted by aroan

TRENTON, N.J. (RNS) Supporters of gay marriage said they would press on with their fight despite the New Jersey Supreme Court’s decision not to hear a case in which six same-sex couples asked for the right to marry.
“We … will never give up — not until our dying breath,” said Steven Goldstein, chairman of Garden State Equality, the state’s largest gay rights organization.
Goldstein said Monday’s (July 26) announcement by the state’s highest court maintains the unequal legal status of same-sex couples.
“Same-sex couples will continue to be denied the consistent right to visit one another in the hospital, to make medical decisions for one another and to receive equal health benefits from employers, all because of the deprivation of the equality and dignity that uniquely comes with the word marriage,” Goldstein said in a statement.
Though the court said it won’t consider the case now, it left open the possibility it could hear it in the future. The justices said the case needs to be filed anew in Superior Court — where it originated eight years ago — and wind its way back up.
“This matter cannot be decided without the development of an appropriate trial-like record,” the court said.
The seven-member court currently has one vacancy, and the remaining six justices were split down the middle, one vote short of the four votes needed to grant a motion.
In 2006, the Supreme Court ruled same-sex couples were due the full rights and benefits of heterosexual married couples, but left it up to the Legislature to provide those rights, leading to the 2006 civil-union law.
Armed with a legislative commission report saying civil unions had failed to achieve equal status for gay couples, same-sex marriage advocates pushed for full marriage rights. But after the state Senate rejected the gay marriage bill, the case made its way back to the state’s highest court.
Hayley Gorenberg, an attorney for Lambda Legal, a gay rights advocacy group, said her clients are ready to restart the legal battle, but the delay means more than just extra paperwork.
“Every day, people are being denied their rights in medical situations, in school situations, at work,” she said.
John Tomicki, president of the New Jersey Coalition to Preserve and Protect Marriage, said he wants voters to decide if marriage should be defined as a union between one man and one woman.
“I have no doubt the plaintiffs and Garden State Equality will continue their march on the courts because they do not have natural law and the public’s interests on their side,” he said.
– Matt Friedman / The Star-Ledger
Copyright 2010 Religion News Service. All rights reserved. No part of this transmission may be distributed or reproduced without written permission.

Henrietta22

posted July 27, 2010 at 5:59 pm

This case took eight years to get to the SC in NJ? Now it’s denied and they have to start anew? The equality of the GLBT should be decided federally so everyone can get on with our lives, just as it was for the Black population.

pagansister

posted July 27, 2010 at 8:46 pm

I agree, Henrietta. The Federal government should grant equal rights to GLBT, just as they did for women and Blacks. This inequality has gone on long enough.

nnmns

posted July 27, 2010 at 10:16 pm

Yes it has. It’s a shame they delayed like that.

posted July 28, 2010 at 12:50 am

I wish you folk would get off of the backs of “the Black population” it is a big difference in the color of a person’s skin and sexual deviations, knock it off.

Henrietta22

posted July 28, 2010 at 11:39 am

Black people have the same opinion as PS, N. and I Ck. Inequality is the same in any color of anyones skin.

pagansister

posted July 28, 2010 at 12:56 pm

Knock off equality, cknuck? It’s OK for some folks and not others, is that what you are trying to say?

Mordred08

posted July 28, 2010 at 8:47 pm

Black people don’t have the monopoly on being discriminated against, cknuck. My sexual orientation is no more of an excuse to treat me differently than other Americans than is your skin color or your religion. And I’m tired of the implication that who I’m attracted to makes me some kind of criminal.

posted July 28, 2010 at 9:15 pm

H22 you feel so entitled as a white person you can speak for all black folk I find that plantation type thinking amazing.
Mordred sometimes i wonder about you, its not that Black people have an monopoly of being discriminated against but homosexuality is not a race and its situation is different so to say it is the same is a blatant lie. If your lifestyle has merit then stand on that merit but don’t try to blend my heritage with your sexual problems

JohnQ

posted July 28, 2010 at 9:42 pm

cknuck-
Homosexual relationships have the same merit as heterosexual relationships.
However, the discussion is not about the merits of relationships…but rather discrimination. No gay person I have ever heard has suggested that they are willing to accept discrimination against lgbt people because race and sexuality are different.
To the person experiencing discrimination….do you really think it makes it more tolerable or relieves some stress because the discrimination is based on sexuality rather than race?
Discrimination is discrimination regardless of the excuse!
Peace!

Mordred08

posted July 28, 2010 at 11:39 pm

Sorry cknuck, but…well, actually I’m not sorry. If I notice some similarity between our situation and yours, I’m not going to stop pointing it out just because it hurts your feelings. Why should I? You’ve made it pretty clear the feelings of LGBT people don’t matter to you.
And whine about “plantation type thinking” all you want, but H22 has a point. You’re dreaming if you think that gays within the black community think of themselves as having a “sexual problem”. Or that they’d have the same problem with the comparison as you do.

Your Name

posted July 29, 2010 at 9:56 am

ck, please explain WHY it is okay to discriminate against people with “sexual deviations” but not against people with skin color deviations.
Is a puzzlement to me.

Herietta22

posted July 29, 2010 at 2:31 pm

Quote fr. Cknuck: You feel so entitled as a white person you can speak for all black folk I find that plantation type thinking amazing.
How do you know what race I am ck? I’ve heard Black people on TV and read what they have said about equality being compared to their fight, didn’t make it up. You being Black should be able to find these opinions coming from them, I wasn’t even looking, just think what opinions you’ll find if you seek them out.

JohnQ

posted July 29, 2010 at 10:35 pm

cknuck does not like it when it is pointed out the Loretta Scott King supported equality and marriage for gays. She was not only black but….pretty well regarded by most.
Though, I guess it is only fair to point out that her daughter sounds like cknuck on the subject of gays.
Regardless, Peace!

interpreter

posted July 30, 2010 at 6:08 pm

May God bless New Jersey and Jersey’s supreme court justices.

posted July 30, 2010 at 7:18 pm

JohnQ I love it when people bring her up because I know she is not her husband Martin and her views do not line up with his I know his background and credentials.

pagansister

posted July 31, 2010 at 8:01 pm

cknuck, it is good to know the Mrs. King was her own woman, and not a puppet for Martin. I expect since Martin died before the 2nd civil rights movement (those for gay rights) no one, not even you,(with your supposed knowledge of his credentials and background) actually knows whether he would have been for or against the rights of other human beings in this country, in this case, GLBT, for equality. If what he preached in regards to Black rights is what he actually believed, then it is nice to think he would, like his wife, recognise the rights of ALL, no matter what their sexual orientation. No one has the ONLY correct way of interpreting the bible, not even you. It’s words are NOT Civil LAW. (only to some who want it to be).

posted July 31, 2010 at 11:51 pm

What a jerk pagan you minimize the civil rights movement equating it to sexual perversions, nice one. Homosexuals do not have to use separate entrances, drink from separate water fountains, nor were they brought and sold forced to live in separate neighborhoods, beaten, hosed, lynched,raped, bred, chained, not allowed to look directly into the eyes of whites, not allowed to read, write, speak, have an opinion, education, money, homes, or vote. homosexuals wish to change marriage from one man, one woman or force people to call a medically disfigure man a woman or vise versa, tell our kids homosexuality is healthy some even want people to accept that homosexuality is holy, or a godly design. There is more differences do you want to reveal those also?

posted July 31, 2010 at 11:54 pm

MLK was a man of God who knew exactly what is holy, dream on but he never would have agree to equate one man one woman to homosexuality.

posted July 31, 2010 at 11:56 pm

there is much more shall I tell?

JohnQ

posted August 1, 2010 at 9:07 am

cknuck-
Are you really trying to suggest that discrimination, prejudice, and bigotry do not really count unless one has had “to use separate entrances, drink from separate water fountains, nor were they brought and sold forced to live in separate neighborhoods, beaten, hosed, lynched,raped, bred, chained, not allowed to look directly into the eyes of whites, not allowed to read, write, speak, have an opinion, education, money, homes, or vote”?
Over the years, there have been a variety of excuses for racial/ethnic discrimination, prejudice, and bigotry. Some has been based on perceived lack of intelligence or cleanliness…..but most discrimination, prejudice, and bigotry has been based upon religious doctrine.

pagansister

posted August 1, 2010 at 4:09 pm

John Q: WELL SAID! in response to cknuck’s rant on just what “discrimination is”. Thanks for that.
cknuck, it is interesting that you can speak for MLK: “…..he would never have agree to equate one man one woman to homosexuality.” MLK isn’t here to say what he would agree to or not agree to, so we’ll just have to take your word for it. BTW, no one is minimizing anyones fight for civil rights….of the past or in the present. Equality is equality, and is not reserved for “just the right folks” , IOW, those you and some others consider NOT proper or right to get those civil rights. It harms you not at all if indeed proper justice is carried out and civil rights are given to all, not just a “chosen few” as some would like it to be.

posted August 1, 2010 at 7:48 pm

JohnQ quote, “If so, then I guess you have not really had to suffer any discrimination, prejudice, and bigotry.”
Yes you do guess but if my statement was based on a guess like yours then I would not have made it.
pagan my thoughts about Martin are based on what I know of him, his background and education and from walking with him. You make assumptions that he would support homosexuality from your emotional thermometer. Now let’s look at equality; a man is a man until homosexuals say he is a woman, a marriage is of opposite sexes joining together as one. Makes sense since one is opposite from the other and together they can make a family among other things. But homosexuality says equality is when the same sex are joined together to make the same sex.
It’s not about anything but sex and forcing everyone to agree that it is not sin when in is. A woman is not a man, nor is a man a woman and it is insanity to believe it or support it.

posted August 2, 2010 at 12:33 am

In California Richard can be Richard one day and decide he is now Susan and if you don’t call him Susan, Richard can sue you. That is an example of insanity backed by laws lobbied by powerful homosexuals and their crazy friends. Soon they will sue churches and businesses that don’t support their lifestyles.

pagansister

posted August 2, 2010 at 7:06 pm

But cknuck, what a person does to their body really doesn’t concern you, anymore than it really does me. If Richard wishes to be Susan (your favorite topic…gender changes) how the heck does that have ANY thing to do with you? What effect does giving folks of the same gender or those who transition or anyone else fo that matter, have anything to do with you? It doesn’t. Not one bit. Actually, it really is none of your business. They don’t need your permission, or approval. All your fellow human beings are asking for is the same rights that you have (and had to fight for, with the man you claim to know all about because you “walked with him”) and nothing more.
Reproduction is not the only reason for marriage.
Your idea of what is right for someone else due to your religious beliefs really has no business being pushed used as reasons not to give anyone their civil rights.
No one is going to sue churches and businesses that don’t support what they believe is right for them. People have sued for less. (being burned by hot coffee, when the idiot put the hot coffee cup betweent their legs for instance…totally stupid suit)

posted August 2, 2010 at 10:25 pm

pagan out of one side of your mouth you say no one is going to sue churches and out of the other you admit the trivial things people have sued over. Every action has an effect so for you to say people proclaiming changed sex has nothing to do with other is a lie to support the insanity. A thing that big would have many effects on the whole of society. You would have to have your head up… to believe that nonsense that it effects no one.

pagansister

posted August 3, 2010 at 4:24 pm

The”nonsense” of gender transition has no effect on anyone but the person involved and those closest to them. Not you or me unless you and I are acquainted with them. To my knowledge, I havn’t met anyone who is, but if I did, so what? They are just another human being who deserves the same rights as you and I have My head, BTW isn’t where you think it is, sorry to disappoint. Couldn’t think of a nicer way to point out your disagreement?
Please tell me how many cases you know personally of folks who sued a church (suits for child molestation not included, for any denomination) because they didn’t marry them because they were a same gender couple, or transgendered etc. Somehow I think that would have hit the tabloids. Need facts, Man, facts. Suing Mickey D’s for being an idiot isn’t a church. Example of stupid suit. Like I said, show me the non-child molestation church suits.

posted August 3, 2010 at 11:56 pm

pagan like all people who drive their argument on passion instead of facts you love to take liberties to support your straw man positions. If you do a better job at reading or just stop lying you would have noted I said, “Soon they will sue churches and businesses that don’t support their lifestyles.” key word soon. So your distraction instead of fact about persons suing a church makes sense as your pattern of what you do when you run out of argument. Everything has a effect and something as unnatural as attempting sex changes has got to have ill effects on others, its evil and an act against God and His natural design.

pagansister

posted August 5, 2010 at 3:33 pm

Like you said, “soon”, cknuck. As to whether something as “unnatural” as you put it, as “attempting sex changes has go to have ill effects on other” (how is a good question!), “it’s evil and an act against God and His natural design.” Well of course it is!(said so non-seriously).
cknuck, whatever floats your little boat. Personally, if a person is a female in a males body, what they do to change it will have no ill effect on me or anyone else. Does it on you? (besides in your brain).
I know, GOD said it is “BAD! BAD! :o)

posted August 6, 2010 at 12:20 pm

It’s impossible to be a female in a male body pagan, without being mentally ill, think about it.

pagansister

posted August 8, 2010 at 8:24 pm

Just how would you know that it is impossible to be a female in a male body, or vise versa, cknuck? Just how would you know?? You don’t. Personally, I don’t either, but it must be very, very hard for the person involved. Mentally ill? Again, how the heck would you know? You don’t, unless you have a medical degree, which I assume you don’t. It seems that if anything goes against what your bible tells you, then it can’t happen. A person that is homosexual can’t be really homosexual, because your gods says he/she didn’t tell mention it as OK or a person who has a female/male brain in a male/female body can’t happen, because your god didn’t tell you it was a possibility. Everyone who isn’t as you think they should be isn’t always mentally ill, for G_d sake!
BTW, I have thought about it…thus my reply!

posted August 8, 2010 at 11:10 pm

If you are saying you have thoughts about homosexuality that is not unusual, nor are people who do have mental retardation but most are troubled mentally. Well most humans have mental challenges but most manage their thoughts and issues even when they have to navigate difficult feelings. But when one has commented to having surgery because of their thoughts there is a imbalance driving those actions. While it is understandable to have compassion for such individuals condoning those actions as normal is in my opinion not a good course of action, anymore than condemning the person.

pagansister

posted August 9, 2010 at 3:35 pm

Having surgery for the person who has it is “normal” for them to be able to live with who they really are, cknuck. The mind and body need to be in coordinated.

Ruairi

posted August 9, 2010 at 9:38 pm

Cknuck, you said ”
It’s impossible to be a female in a male body” Have you never heard the term Hermaphrodite? That is percisly what occurs.. or perhaps they may appear more female than male. Parents actually have to make a choice which way to raise their child. What if they are wrong?
Mind you though I am not saying that the majority of gays have this problem, but it does exsist so saying imposssible is rather foolish.
I am sure the gays that have been killed for their belief are quite happy to know that they weren’t being discriminated against.. thanks for clearing that up.
Yes blacks were badly discriminated against.. in a day when they were though infeirior.. now you think that gays are inferior.. hum guess you didn’t learn much along the way about freedom.
I know I have to fight against predijuice simply for not being christian. Sure not to the same degree.. but it has cost me a job that I was quite good at.. all my reviews talked about how well I knew what I was doing… but again… one black woman choose to continue in the tradition of discrination… just as you choose to do the same. Perhaps you bith learned the wrong lessons from history.
Oh and in your own words….
guess where know where your coming from