Beliefnet News

Beliefnet News

Air Force Builds Worship Space for Wiccans

posted by mconsoli

(RNS) The U.S. Air Force Academy in Colorado will set aside a worship space for followers of “Earth-centered” religions such as Wicca and Druidism, according to an Air Force news release.
A stone circle atop a hill on the base in Colorado Springs will likely be dedicated in a ceremony March 10, according to the release, and be available to cadets and other service members who live in the area. The base already has worship spaces for Protestants, Catholics, Muslims and Buddhist, the release said.
The Air Force has been accused of allowing evangelical officers to openly proselytize and pressure cadets of other faiths. In 2005, the Air Force issued new guidelines pledging to “accommodate free exercise of religion and other personal beliefs.”
Tech. Sgt. Brandon Longcrier, who worked with academy officials to create the space, said in the news release, “there really haven’t been any obstacles for the new circle. The chaplain’s office has been 100 percent supportive.”
Longcrier, who became a pagan in 2006, said “when I first arrived here, Earth-centered cadets didn’t have anywhere to call home. Now, they meet every Monday night, they get to go on retreats, and they have a stone circle.”
– Daniel Burke
Copyright 2010 Religion News Service. All rights reserved. No part of this transmission may be distributed or reproduced without written permission

posted January 29, 2010 at 7:35 pm

Excellent! Pagans need their space too, just like other religions. Giant Gold Star for the Air force finally recognizing that.

nnmns

posted January 29, 2010 at 9:25 pm

It sounds like things are improving at the AFAc. I hope so.

Raymond Larose

posted January 29, 2010 at 10:00 pm

This is incredible news. As a pagan – and ex-Air Force – it really sends a great message home. I am so proud of the Academy for putting this into motion and seeing things through.
I was an open pagan in 1994 in the AF and met very little resistance from the military.

Gwyddion9

posted January 29, 2010 at 10:03 pm

As a Wiccan, I truly glad to see this finally come to pass.
All the best to my fellow Pagans in the U.S. Air Force as they consecrate the area. May the Gods bless their endeavors!

jestrfyl

posted January 29, 2010 at 11:30 pm

OK, this is cooler than I would have expected from the Air Force Academy. But what really amuses me is that this must truly fry the Focus on Family folks.

rjggirl

posted January 29, 2010 at 11:32 pm

OK. The AF has degraded. Sorry to hear this sad sad news. God Bless America.

Kauko

posted January 30, 2010 at 2:30 am

Yes, rjggirl, because freedom of religion and our Armed Forces allowing people of all religions to freely practice is so un-American. This is only sad news if you want the US to be a Christian theocracy.

Mordred08

posted January 30, 2010 at 2:59 am

It’s not all bad, rjggirl. You’ve still got the gays and bisexuals you can kick out of the military, thus threatening our national security for the sake of your “values”.
Of course someone would have to complain. Freedom of religion? What’s that? Conservative Christians aren’t happy unless their religion is more free than everyone else’s.

posted January 30, 2010 at 3:29 am

As the government move to eliminate Christian worship and call for generic chaplains it is not right to dedicate anything to one religion considering the hostile movements to dismantle generated toward Christians and Christianity through the guise of separation of church and state. As a matter of fact if they did this for Christians there would be a outcry by the very same people celebrating this move.

JohnQ

posted January 30, 2010 at 8:26 am

cknuck-
What “government move to eliminate Christian worship”?
rjggirl-
Do you not believe in the right of every American to have freedom of religion? Or, do you think freedom of religion means to be any denomination of Christian that one chooses?
I too think this is a great step forward for the Air Force. I think every American does and should have the right to worship as they choose. nnmns (and others) being atheist, pagansister (and others) being pagan and those that are Jewish, Muslim, etc in no way diminishes me nor, Christianity.
Peace!

Your Name

posted January 30, 2010 at 10:31 am

Geez ck, can’t youo read? Or are you just selective in what you read? Or are you incapable of understanding what you read (if you bothered to read it at all)?
“if they did this for Christians”
Um, from the article:
“The base already has worship spaces for Protestants, Catholics, Muslims and Buddhist, the release said.”
So I guess neither Protestants nor Catholics are Christian anymore, eh?
Delusional as usual, I see.
Why on earth the government is spendinng a DIME to ‘promote’ – anyone’s – religion is beyond me.
In my day, it used to be called a personal relationship with the Lord. Now you seem to want/need public subsidies. Go pray in secret like Jesus told you to, behind your (ahem) closet door.

nnmns

posted January 30, 2010 at 11:18 am

“Go pray in secret like Jesus told you to, behind your (ahem) closet door.”
Somehow that part of the Bible doesn’t get any traction among those Christians who want to flaunt their religions. But everyone chooses their own parts of the Bible.
All Christianity is cafeteria Christianity.

interpreter

posted January 30, 2010 at 11:29 am

It’s a sad day

Mordred08

posted January 30, 2010 at 2:28 pm

I don’t see why cknuck, interpreter, and rjggirl are so upset about this. I always thought you guys got off on anything that feeds your enormous persecution complexes. Admit it…you guys would be totally miserable if we didn’t give you something to complain about on Sunday morning.

posted January 30, 2010 at 3:06 pm

Cknuck, interpreter and rjggirl…Perhaps you have forgotten (or choose to forget) that this nation ALLOWS freedom of religion…which I know burns you butt because, in your opinions, there is ONLY ONE God figure. You might try another country…there are many who only have ONE way to worship…of course you might have to become Muslim.
Why in the world does this situation bother you? It truely has nothing to do with your beliefs…and according to the article…as pointed out above in a post….you guys already have a place to worship as do some other “non-Christian” religions. Get over it….Pagans are people too…and they (we) deserve a special place also.

Gwyddion9

posted January 30, 2010 at 3:21 pm

Lets not forget the big push by Evangels to bring ‘conversions’ to the Air Force in Colorado. If anyone has been pushing religion, it’s been the Evangels. They along with superiors and cadets have harassed those of different faiths. “Freedom of Religion” apparently includes one particular religion and one specific sect of that religion.
I’m glad they have the circle to worship at now. May it brings them wisdom and blessings.

posted January 30, 2010 at 3:26 pm

“May it brings them wisdom and blessings”. Ditto, Gwyddion9

Kauko

posted January 30, 2010 at 4:46 pm

“if they did this for Christians there would be a outcry by the very same people celebrating this move”
That’s a completely false argument as Christians already have a place of worship there and have for a long time.

Gaia

posted January 30, 2010 at 4:58 pm

We come from the Earth, we live from the Earth, we die and go back into the Earth. Essentially, are we not all “pagans?”

Mary

posted January 30, 2010 at 5:16 pm

“accommodate free exercise of religion and other personal beliefs”
What do they do for atheists? I’m not one, but it seems to me that they have a personal belief that there is no God. Since this is a free country, they should not be left out.

staver

posted January 30, 2010 at 6:04 pm

I’d just like to go on record as a Christian who thinks this is good.
Yes, there are already facilities for Christians, Jews, Bhuddist’s, whatever, so why not Pagans? They DO have a right to worship how they want, whether I believe what they do or not. And THAT, kids, is what America is about, remember?

Kauko

posted January 30, 2010 at 8:04 pm

To my knowledge Mary, atheists do not require any specific site of worship as they do not worship anything so why should a specifically atheist site be built. I’d imagine that as long as atheists are allowed to gather together somewhere and aren’t being denied the right to form an atheist group they wouldn’t care about the lack of an atheist specific worship site.

nnmns

posted January 30, 2010 at 9:01 pm

I’m with Kauko on this. Just let there be a coffee shop where we can meet and chat. We’re quite low maintenance.
Oh, and if we are dying and want someone to hold our hand I think most of us would prefer a chaplain who would observe our beliefs during the death rather than badgering us with his.
A good chaplain should be able and willing to serve all those in his unit.

posted January 31, 2010 at 8:53 pm

As a Christian I am concerned I know that this nation was started by Christian founders and as they honored God He honored this country with prosperity, to become the richest and most powerful nation in the world. Now we are borrowing money from China. It doesn’t bother me as much with the Wiccan worship area as it bothers me that Christianity is target for dismantlement, as the country removes the bible from public view, prayer is prohibited, Christmas trees and ornaments are eliminated from view kids cannot mention the bible as their favorite book in the classroom, clothing with bible references are illegal in school in a country that the first bible was published by it’s congress. How can a Christian who has read the bible not see the reoccurring theme of great nations turning away from God for other gods and the results of that.

posted January 31, 2010 at 9:35 pm

Never fear, cknuck, your religion has “survived’ over 2000 years…this country is not going to Hell in a handbasket because it is being made yet another religion in this country…not what many would like, the dominant one. ‘Tis one of many.
God really had nothing to so with making this country what it is…people with hard work made it great. Not all of those that contributed to our greatness were Christian. Our world in interconnected…more so than ever before. One large family who doesn’t always get along. We will be fine.

JohnQ

posted January 31, 2010 at 10:49 pm

cknuck-
As a Christian, I am in no way diminished by Wiccans having a space. I do not think Christianity so weak as a religion that we must prohibit any other religions from being practiced.
You seem to be using a mighty broad brush with: “….prayer is prohibited, Christmas trees and ornaments are eliminated from view….”
I pray where ever I want. Anytime I am at either of my kid’s schools, I pray as I enter.
Perhaps thing are different in Southern Cal…but here in CT we had a multitude of Christmas trees with decorations. Most of the kids in both my kids classes as school gave the teachers Christmas gifts. I baked dozens of Christmas cookies for both schools. Both schools had Christmas trees at the entrance were kids were invited to hang new gloves, hats, or scarfs that were then given to those in need. Our church donated 521 books (one each) to all the kids in an elementary school in one of the poorest parts of Hartford (as we do each year). Ah, but not before wrapping them in Christmas paper with ribbons.
Finally, if you actually look a little bit closer, you will find that several (not all, but several) of our Founding Fathers were actually Deists rather than Christian. Thomas Jefferson comes right to mind.
Peace!

Gwyddion9

posted January 31, 2010 at 11:20 pm

CK,
Is your faith about to be demoted?
The story is about a Pagan man who wants to serve as a prison chaplain, for those who claim to be pagan, while incarcerated. There is a conservative Christian group called
“Wall builders” who state that the First Amendment itself does not cover Paganism. Or really, anything but Christianity or some other monotheistic faiths.
They see other religions as being part of a ‘second tier’ religion that does not deserve full protection under the 1st Amendment.
It’s things like this that many Pagans and those of other religions have to deal with, almost on a monthly basis. Is it really any wonder why so many are not particularly fond of Christianity? While speaking for myself, I understand that Christianity has many different sects and they’re not all the same in beliefs or outlook but conservative Christians tend to leave a very bitter picture of ‘Christians’.
CK, I doubt Christianity has the issues Pagans have to deal with, in this country, anyway.
You don’t have other Christians who want to deny you your constitutional rights and protections.
Link to article: http://www.stltoday.com/blogzone/civil-religion/general/2010/01/is-your-faith-about-to-be-demoted/

posted January 31, 2010 at 11:26 pm

pagan this country is going south open your eyes come out of the burbs.
JohnQ I am in no way worried about Wicca’s or any other group I am however worried about this country and if you are not you must live in a vacuum. And there were not several Deists and Jefferson worshiped with the rest of the Christians in the House of Reps and also prayed for hours with Christians. Jefferson and Franklin were the only two deist the other over fifty founders were active Christians many were pastors and all including the so-called deist give credit to the many pastors who helped this country form.

nnmns

posted February 1, 2010 at 10:30 am

cknuck you lie whenever it serves your purpose. There’s no reason to believe you here any more than elsewhere.
For those interested, here’s a source on our founding fathers.

posted February 1, 2010 at 1:47 pm

Oh so I forgot Thomas Paine so that’s three so what, out of 74 still way more Christians and a testament of Christian tolerance nnmns I often wonder if this country was founded by atheist just how tolerant it would be.

Kauko

posted February 1, 2010 at 3:04 pm

CK, I can point out that all the founders were white so, by your logic, this country is only really for white people and everyone else is merely to be tolerated at their whim. So, either the racial, ethnic, religious make up of the founders of this country is what matters, or what matters are the ideals they found the country on. Ideals like freedom of religion and the government not elevating and advocating one religion over the others. That all people, no matter what their religion should be free from persecution and free to practice.

posted February 1, 2010 at 4:29 pm

Every generation has had it’s struggles and people have worried. What do you think those Founding Parents worried about? Let’s see…revolution, keeping this new country together, and let’s see…how about skipping to Civil War…What did people worry about? Or during WWI or WWII? Korea? Viet Nam? There is no country/generation that hasn’t had it’s worries. IMO we’re not having more troubles, just different troubles. Oh yes, I forgot, there was the Stock Market problem in 1929…do you think some folks thought the world was coming to an end then…or with each war? We will survive. We are Americans….and that is what we do. And our survival isn’t because this country is a CHRISTIAN nation. Who really cares what faiths the Founding Parents practiced? They made a point of NOT wanting a theocracy, any more than a king/queen running things. (not even a Heavenly King type).

posted February 1, 2010 at 4:31 pm

ck, above in answer to your mentioning I needed to “open my eyes, since we’re headed south.”

nnmns

posted February 1, 2010 at 7:32 pm

As was pointed out the religions of the founders is irrelevant since they very wisely founded a nation not restricted by religion or lack thereof. And that’s one reason we thrived. Another is, our ancestors brought over diseases for which the original owners of the land had no immunity so they died in droves after which it was easy for our ancestors to get their land virtually free. If you want to call that a blessing of your god, go ahead. Another reason is that Europeans beat up on each other while we were a bit freer of wars so we could develop the resources that had been largely unused.
Now, cknuck, as to your claimed often wondering how tolerant the US would be if it had been founded by atheists, hard to say. But I’m glad you have so much free time on your hands you can wonder about silly musings like that.

JohnQ

posted February 1, 2010 at 10:54 pm

One more point about the founding fathers.
They are all dead and gone. And, while I have tremendous respect, gratitude, and admiration for them. This does not change the fact that they are dead and gone. We are here now and each American has a right to practice the religion of their choice….including no religion.
Again, I am glad to see the Air Force making progress towards accommodating all our citizens.
Now, they need to focus on dropping DADT.
Peace!

Richard

posted February 2, 2010 at 9:46 am

Bad philosophy makes for bad law and bad acts. This is another silly example of the “all religions are equal” fallacy.

jestrfyl

posted February 2, 2010 at 11:17 am

Hey, excuuuuse me, but just what IS the problem with “heading south”. I happen to like living where the weather is more hospitable and where cruel frost and blowing sNOw is practically unknown. We headed south almost 10 years ago and have no regrets. And so many “Snowbirds” are here with us now, I am guessing that folks are catching up to the idea!
Seriously, ck
Get over the idea that this is a Christian nation. We are and have always been a nation of immigrants interloping on the lives of indigenous folks. It serves no one good to make up fanciful “history”. Even if the Founding Fathers (and Mothers)were various forms of Christian, we have matured and grown well beyond that. It just ain’t Mayberry anymore (and just when did Sheriff Andy go to church anyway?)

posted February 2, 2010 at 11:24 am

Richard…All religions ARE equal, except in the eyes of the blind who are arrogant and think their beliefs are the ONLY acceptable ones.

posted February 2, 2010 at 1:50 pm

jest quote, “Even if the Founding Fathers (and Mothers)were various forms of Christian, we have matured and grown well beyond that”
That is one of many quotes by you a supposed Christian that amazes me jest how on earth do you mature well beyond Christ and be a Christian and why? There was two places in the bible where Jesus was amazed on was by incredible faith and the other was by lack of faith.

posted February 2, 2010 at 2:06 pm

That’s the ticket more homosexual activity and more pagan worship yeah that’s a good idea JohnQ; make nation strong.

jestrfyl

posted February 2, 2010 at 2:40 pm

ck
OK, poor wording choice. My intention was to say that Christianity is not the only religion in America. We have matured to the point of recognizing that other people’s religious beliefs are as valuable and important. We are a gumbo of people, cultures, and languages. It is time to honor all the diversity and appreciate each others’ gifts.

JohnQ

posted February 2, 2010 at 2:48 pm

cknuck-
Homosexuals and pagans have existed in North America long before anyone even thought of form a country called the USA.
As you know, I am a devote Christian. That however does not mean that I can not or do not respect the believes of others. I can respect atheists, pagans, and straight people even though I may not be one of them. Again, as a Christian, I am in no way diminished be cause nnmns (and others) does/do not believe in God and pagansister (and others) is/are pagan.
Likewise, as a bi-sexual man, I am in no way diminished because some people choose to lead a straight life-style. My husband and I teach our children….and those we mentor, that all people deserve respect and equality.
Finally, while have pointed out that our founding fathers (and, mothers) are dead…liberty, equal-rights, freedom of religion are all principles upon which our great nation was founded. The concept is freedom of (or from) religion….not freedom of Christianity.
Peace!

JohnQ

posted February 2, 2010 at 2:51 pm

While my posts often have spelling and grammatical errors….I do feel compelled to apologize for my last one. I had several interruptions…and, oh it does show.

BJ

posted February 2, 2010 at 4:02 pm

And when he gets to Heaven to St. Peter he will tell: Another warlock/witch reporting sir, i’m ready to go to Hell!

posted February 2, 2010 at 6:40 pm

Meet you there, BJ. We’ll have a hot time in the old town.
Seriously BJ….there is no hell except in the minds of those who follow a religion that for some reason seems to want their followers to have a punishment for not folling the all rules. I’m so NOT worried.

posted February 2, 2010 at 6:42 pm

correction: “….for not FOLLOWING all the rules”.

posted February 2, 2010 at 6:50 pm

JohnQ. Respect for other’s beliefs is important. I taught my children that also, as you are doing with your children. Some, unfortuately, feel their’s is the only way to believe, and all others are just plain wrong…even those who claim to be in the same religious group!

posted February 2, 2010 at 8:18 pm

JohnQ you are right in a way the bible does state 1 Cor. 6:12
“Everything is permissible for me” – but not everything is beneficial.
“Everything is permissible for me” – but I will not be mastered by anything.

nnmns

posted February 2, 2010 at 10:13 pm

You are mastered by your fear and bigotry cknuck.

Gwyddion9

posted February 3, 2010 at 11:57 am

Well, it didn’t take long. apparently, in the end of January, a large cross was discovered in the center of the circle on the Air Force ground. I’d like to say i’m shocked but I can’t.
Here’s a link to the article:

posted February 3, 2010 at 12:53 pm

I have but one master nnmns, you present wrong information once again.

posted February 3, 2010 at 2:45 pm

Gwyddion9:
Thanks for the link. I agree with one of the commentators in the article…if that had been a Swastika in the Jewish temple there would have been an uproar. Apparently a cross in the sacred circle isn’t as newsworthy. Sad commentary of some Christians who, as we know, feel all other beliefs are wrong. There are several who post here that I think feel that way…and then there are some here who understand and respect other beliefs…evidenced by their posts.

Kauko

posted February 3, 2010 at 3:42 pm

Someone beat me to it, I was just going to mention that the site has already been desecrated by Christians.

Kauko

posted February 3, 2010 at 3:44 pm

And I’d say that nnmns’ last comment hit the nail on the head.

posted February 3, 2010 at 5:47 pm

It was a wooden cross, just pick it up and move it.

JohnQ

posted February 3, 2010 at 7:02 pm

cknuck-
I think it is less about whether or not the cross is easily movable and more about the disrespect shown another faith.
Peace!

posted February 3, 2010 at 7:45 pm

cknuck, would you have the same attitude if an upright Pentacle was found in your church? The material that the cross was made from and that it could be moved, has nothing to do with the fact that it shouldn’t have been there to begin with. It was put there as a “statement” by some self rightous “Christian”. Not a smooth move. IMO it was right up there with the Swastica being put on Jewish temples. It was just plain wrong…

Gwyddion9

posted February 3, 2010 at 8:15 pm

I agree with you Pagansister.
It was extremely disrespectful and as Kauko puts it, desecrated the site. The site can always be re-dedicated but as Pagansister put it, it was a ‘statement’ made by the self-righteous Christians in that area. If a pentacle were drawn in their church, the crap would hit the fan. I don’t think the Commander made a big of a deal of it, as she should have, imo.
Is it any wonder why people are becoming so critical of Christians and Christianity? Hypocrisy is rampant with the conservative groups. I am glad that I have friends who are Christian as they remind me that not every Christian is the same. I’m really glad that I have them as friends because of things like this would make it all too easy to throw all in the same pot or as I’m honestly feeling, the same Coliseum.

posted February 3, 2010 at 9:16 pm

I, too, am glad I have friends as well as most of my family who are Christians, who are reminders that not every Christian is the same, Gwyddion9. There are also some Christians on this site who are great reminders that not all Christians are the same.

posted February 4, 2010 at 2:28 am

actually pagan we have had Wicca’s in our church visiting and I’m sure more than one person have worn a symbol or two of other beliefs. Not a big deal no permanent damage like painting a Swastika. I’m not saying the placing of the cross was right but it was not defacing or desecrating

JohnQ

posted February 4, 2010 at 6:05 am

cknuck-
I am not a Wiccan…..however, I beg to differ. Placing a wooden cross in the area was indeed desecrating the area. Why else would someone have done it?
Peace!

posted February 4, 2010 at 3:58 pm

They were probably trying to have the last word, a silly thing that we humans do. I apologize to the wiccans even if I don’t agree with their beliefs, because this behavior, it is not right. But I have seen worse

posted February 4, 2010 at 8:49 pm

cknuck, personally, I don’t think they were just trying to have the “last word” but trying to prove superiority of their religion.
I do wear a Pentagram, and wore it when I worked at the RCC school, going to Mass being part of that job. It was/isn’t worn to desecrate any other religion. However, if I took a large wooden pentagram and put it on the alter of a Christian church or any other place of worship, not my own, then the meaning would be different. I wouldn’t do that, but it would be translated, IMO, as desecrating the alter.
The cross in the Sacred Circle was indeed desecration, and meant to be. It is nice to see that you realize that. It is appreciated.

posted February 5, 2010 at 2:31 am

If that occasion did happen at any of my facilities I would simply have the item removed and not give power to something that has no power. Fortunately we are a private organization with no fed funding so there would be no employees wearing a pentagram on any of my facilities across the nation or internationally. I really don’t know why you would want to work in a catholic organization wearing a pentagram. Why would a person want to work for an organization they criticize and disrespect so strongly? I could never work for anyone I did no believe in and respect.

posted February 5, 2010 at 2:54 pm

The 10 years I taught in the RCC school, cknuck, were for the most part, happy and productive. The last 10 years of my teaching career. It was a school, with beautiful children, a wonderful faculty and staff. Why not work there? I respected everyone I worked with (barring a couple!) and their beliefs. No problem as far as I could see. If teaching children to love and respect others is wrong, don’t work for an RCC school (or any secular/public school for that matter). And why wouldn’t I wear a symbol of my beliefs? Christians wear crosses (and many who aren’t do to, for that matter). Respect doesn’t require agreement. But I don’t expect you do understand that.
Have you noticed that the star over the JC’s stable was a 5 pointed one?

posted February 5, 2010 at 9:06 pm

Did you refer to Christ as JC in that school? the significance of a five point star or a no point star has no meaning or power.

posted February 5, 2010 at 9:33 pm

Sometimes, why?
The 5 pointed star used to be a Christian symbol. Just thought I’d point that out for fun, cknuck. :o)

posted February 5, 2010 at 9:37 pm

BTW, cknuck, if the star over the stable had no significance, why is it used in the Christmas story as pointing the way to JC’s birth? Seems to be rather important, to some folks.

Your Name

posted February 13, 2010 at 10:59 am

Interesting that ck ‘faults’ nmns for “present[ing] wrong information once again”, but, as usual, neglects to address his own presentation of wrong information.
As noted well above:
“if they did this for Christians”
Um, from the article:
So I guess neither Protestants nor Catholics are Christian anymore, eh?
Delusional as usual, I see.

Floar

posted February 26, 2010 at 9:35 pm

It’s nice. It will be more convient. I will let my bisexual friends of BiMingle…coome know it in time.

Cdaniels

posted December 3, 2011 at 8:28 am

I am a devout christian. I an thankfull that this country allows the freedom of religion. All of you christians who are complaining about this, I ask you, do you not believe in freedom of religion?

I think the beliefs of these pagan religions are dangerous, and wrong, but I thank God that he allowed me to be born in a country where we can both freely worship, as well as debate about it.