My Happy Place

My Happy Place

Written Wishes

posted by kjackson

According to the Bible, God used words to create our world. There was nothing. And then God spoke and there was something. How truly cool is that? And when God spoke humans into being, the humans were made in God’s image. How truly cool is that? Part of that “God’s Image” is that we have the capacity for creativity. Now–stop right there–I know your mind just drifted to someone writing a little poem or sprinkling glitter on a piece of paper :). I love the arts as much as the next person (duh!) but the word “creativity” encompasses much more than the arts. Creativity means: “the ability to transcend traditional ideas, rules, patterns, relationships, or the like, and to create meaningful new ideas, forms, methods, interpretations.” (Dictionary.com)

Six years ago I let go of old ideas, forms, methods, interpretations of my life and experienced an amazing shift in my thought process.  Instead of allowing my days to just drift from one to the next–turning whichever corner they would like and delivering experiences to me on the arm of happenstance–I chose to consciously create what I wanted in my life.  There are many ways to do this. This creative way of living could simply be stating out loud, “I want this” and then heading consciously toward that goal. It could mean getting rid of relationships that keep one from her goal or developing new relationships that help one toward her goal. It can mean not giving time or attention or thought to the bad things in one’s life because the things we focus on do indeed grow larger. There are many ways to consciously create one’s life, but one of my favorites is to simply to write down my wishes.

I keep my wishes scribbled in a worn fabric-covered diary my niece brought me from China. Each page starts with the same words, “I am so happy and thankful for….” and a list follows. All of the  items/experiences listed–page after page–are things I didn’t have at the time so I was writing about the hopeful future in the present tense, pretending that they were already in existence.  Heb 11:1 (KJV):  “Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen”. When I look back now over the pages I can’t help but laugh because almost every single thing–even the most outlandish ones–are checked off.  From a trip to Disney World to a producing garden–my wishes *do* come true. It seems like magic but it’s not. It’s creativity. I have a thought. I focus on that thought and expect that thought to happen. It happens. It really is as easy as that.

A look at my pages:

Page #1,  April 1, 2008 (did I realize it was April Fool’s Day? I surely wasn’t fooled, though!)

• “I am so thankful and grateful to have a successful library story hour job making over $2,500 per summer”.  At this point in my life, I had only earned $1,800 as a summer performer. That following summer I made $7,000! Sometimes I imagine too small.
  • “I am so thankful and grateful to have the yellow house rented and paying its mortgage.” At this time in our lives we had moved to our place in the country but still had an empty house in town so we were paying two mortgages! Shortly after I wrote this we found fabulous tenants who have now lived in that house for three years–paying the rent each month fully and on time.
  • “I am so thankful and grateful to fly to Disney World with my family.” I wrote this on April 1, 2008 and we spent a fabulous week at a Disney resort in August, 2009. Flying to Florida may not seem like a big deal to some people, but April 2008 our idea of a “vacation” was to camp for a weekend at a local lake.

November 18, 2009 I wished for:

• “an easy, neat, working garden” and I received one that spring and continue to have one year after year. It had to start with a conscious, creative thought.
  • “male and female lop eared rabbits”. I purchased Moon and Star June, 2010 and now we have over twenty Holland Lop rabbits and a little side business selling pet rabbits.

July 15, 2010 I wrote “I am so thankful and grateful for a weekend in Seattle with Beth, Keith and Charlene”. Two weeks later my father, not knowing I had written this, said, “I need to visit my brother in Seattle. I have enough frequent flier miles for us both to go, would you like to travel with me?” We left on August 8.

Some of my wishes come true immediately and some I am still waiting on three years later; I continue to re-write those wishes each time (“…to have our house paid for in full!”).  A few times I’ve gone back and crossed something off (“I’m so happy and thankful to own a miniature horse”) because I changed my mind!

Yes, you may feel a little silly playing pretend the first time you write in your Wish Book, but I promise you it is so worth it! Won’t you give it a try? And let me know the first time you get to put a big check next to something. Don’t forget to put the date at the top of the page and date it when the wish comes true.  Who would have thought writing in a notebook could be so much fun?

v

posted July 15, 2011 at 11:35 am

Actually, when I get those little flashes of inspiration, we buy another house and see in our minds what it will look like finished, but it is not without pain and waiting and lots of work.

David-Michael

posted July 15, 2011 at 11:11 am

Excellent. F. O’Connor contended she didn’t know what she thought until she wrote it down.

Rosa

posted July 8, 2011 at 2:00 pm

Thank you for sharing. The article is beautiful, it also represents Faith. In particular it reminds me of: “Believe you receive when you pray” (Mark 11:24).

Joey

posted July 8, 2011 at 2:34 am

This is an interesting and optimistic idea. :-)

Laci

posted July 7, 2011 at 9:28 am

This is something that my mother was always telling me, about a list of “wishes” to God especially when I was to the point of looking for love to FINALLY find me. Well, I never made these “wishes” on paper but, in my mind & heart, I placed them there but, it was more out of desperation. One thing I needed to remember was, GOD KNOWS your SOUL & He truly wants what’s best for His children. Only when I realized that God was holding these back until He knew that I wanted these because I was absolutely READY to have this & felt that I was truly worthy of the love that I deserved, it was THEN that this CLICKED for me & I knew, He knew my “wishes” but, wasn’t giving them to me until I was ready & knew that I deserved what I wanted & once I GOT this, & until I was strong enough in myself & felt & knew this in my very SOUL that I truly was ready, was when I went out to one of my favorite spots one night & I really released this out to the Universe (who I ALWAYS refer to as God) & let Him know for sure that His child was ready to receive this, ready to take this on, TRULY deserved this &, TRULY, within 3 MONTHS of me sending Him this “wish”, He delivered “him” to me (I also wanted to “know” if “he” was the one whenever “he” was given to me, I’ve made these mistakes in the past, & BOY did I know!). We’ve been together 3 1/2yrs strong & have had even talks of a more EXCLUSIVE future together (wink-wink!). GOD IS GOOOOOD!

kjackson

posted July 8, 2011 at 11:20 am

Wonderful story! Thanks for sharing, Laci.

Daphne

posted July 7, 2011 at 8:50 am

Love it, love it, love it! I’ve heard many people say that the way to realize your goals is to write them down. Seems you’re living proof that it works! Just a quick question, Kirsten: DO you write your wishes every day or just when they come to you? I’m just wondering how best to approach this as I think it’s something I should start to do.

kjackson

posted July 8, 2011 at 11:24 am

Hi, Daphne! I re-evaluate my wish list about every six months…sometimes more often. I check off the ones that have been granted and I re-write the ones I’m still hoping for…and add new ones to the list. The first year I really realized the power of intention and writing down my hopes and dreams, I tried something different, though, that was indeed fabulous (I just had a hard time keeping up with it). Every morning before I did anything else, I’d head to the computer and I’d write “I’m so happy and grateful for…” and list all the wonderful things that had happened the day before. Then I’d start another “I’m so happy and grateful for” paragraph and write out the things I hoped for that very day. It was fascinating to see things come to pass on a daily basis: to see today’s hopes become tomorrow’s answered prayers. Besides– gratefulness is always a good way to start the day!

vi

posted July 6, 2011 at 10:42 pm

Yes, that is probably your best yet for others! Good One!

Willa

posted July 6, 2011 at 5:13 pm

I have a presentation for a capstone project in a couple weeks. I would love it if you would permit me to use this blog. Well done!

kjackson

posted July 8, 2011 at 11:26 am

Well, of course you can use it! Thanks, Willa.

Tammie

posted July 6, 2011 at 12:59 pm

It has been a joy to watch God work each one of these things in your life! It is a great pleasure to see a sister in the lord lead her family in such a way!! I had been pondering the HOPEs in my heart today! They seem so big for us today, but they r not to big for God! So with your prompting I go now to start what I will call my “Book of Hope” I too am going to fill it’s pages with dates and things I hope for, things I dream to see come true.. I will keep u updated promise!!!!

kjackson

posted July 8, 2011 at 11:27 am

So many of the things I wrote down (a new roof, a new van, a place in the country, an acting career) all seemed SO impossible at the time! But, truly…there is nothing impossible for God! I can’t wait to hear how your “hopes” come to pass.

Bob Lamb

posted July 6, 2011 at 11:50 am

Great job, Kristen!

Another Blog To Enjoy!
Thank you for visiting My Happy Place page. This blog is no longer being updated. Please enjoy the archives. Here is another blog you may also enjoy: Inspiration Report Happy Reading!

posted 11:24:23am Apr. 18, 2012 | read full post »

Turn the Radio On
Recently the kids and I have been listening to an audio book when we're in the car, but, sometimes, between discs, we'll let the radio play. Since we gave up TV years ago...and I don't read the news, either...we can be a little out of the loop. Maybe Kirsten listening to the Tulsa radio is a bit lik

posted 8:02:27am Dec. 04, 2011 | read full post »

Miracles in the Midst of Sorrow
I've found there is no logic to how I feel in the middle of grief. I've received huge gifts, and--although I'm thankful for them because they assure me I don't have to make a drastic lifestyle change at the same time that our family has been changed so drastically--I sometimes don't have an emotiona

posted 9:33:07am Dec. 02, 2011 | read full post »

Like a Symphony
Sometimes I actually think :). I like to plan and compare and problem solve. Sometimes I think my way to an answer. Sometimes I make choices based solely on my gut whether the choice seems logical or not. I feel my way to an answer (I use this method more often than thinking!). Then there was

posted 8:08:11am Dec. 01, 2011 | read full post »

Dancing Thankful
People are always saying how it amazes them how I think, wish, pray for something and then it appears. To me this is a normal way of living so it confuses me when they say such things. I wonder, though, if maybe these little miracles aren't happening to them, too, and they're just not giving them cr

posted 7:55:34am Nov. 29, 2011 | read full post »