My Happy Place

My Happy Place

I Am a Tree Hugger

posted by kjackson

My name is Kirsten and I am a tree hugger. I’ve never understood why some people find that offensive. Truly…if someone liking trees challenges your political stance, you may be taking your politics a bit too far ;).

I celebrate that citizens and firefighters in Rockport, Texas share my passion for a tree.  Right outside the town there stands a 1,000 year old (yes, you read that correctly!) live oak tree which has been dubbed “The Big Tree.” It has–literally–stood the test of time and survived countless hurricanes. This summer’s drought, however, may have done it in if it weren’t for the kind volunteer firefighters who turned their fire hoses on the tree roots and drenched it with 11,000 gallons of water–enough to simulate 1/2 inch of rain.  If it doesn’t rain soon, firefighters will continue to water it every 10-14 days. Their thought  is “droughts will come and go…but this tree stays put. After all, its roots clearly hold much more than earth in place: a sense of pride in the community, too.” For the full story click here.

A tree I regularly hug which co-habitates with us on this lovely little bit of land.

I’ll never forget the first time I saw the trees on our property. I had found the house and five-acres advertised on the Century 21 website and the price was so good we just had to go take a look.  The realtor was smart to show us the land *before* he showed us the house (which was a disaster!).  We walked past the barren one-acre yard…through the one acre of pasture…and in to the back acre of forest. My husband and I looked up at the gloriously tall and beautiful oak, walnut, and pecan trees and fell in love. Our heads were thrown back, eyes locked on those tall boughs, our voices husky as we both said in unison–with confidence, “We’ll take it!”

We’ve never regretted that decision–a decision made over passion: passion for a tree.

Cris Richardson

posted September 26, 2011 at 8:04 pm

kirsten,
I, too, love trees. My rental home was on a beautiful tree-lined street. Our yard was full of beautiful maples and an ash tree that shaded the whole backyard.
Our home we now live in has a full-grown bradford pear which is nothing to brag about, and a tiny Charly Brown-like Japanese maple that desperately needs shade in a full-sun yard. Sad times for a tree lover.
I enjoy reading about your five-acre farm. I’m glad I remembered you blog.
Cris

kjackson

posted September 26, 2011 at 9:25 pm

I’m so glad you found me, Cris. I’ve been missing Reckless. How is she?

cheryl

posted September 5, 2011 at 2:13 pm

I too like trees. I found a small seedling cedar tree ,about two years ago, planted next to our house. In order to prevent the soon to be large roots of the tree from damaging the foundation of our home I transplanted the tree into a small pot. I have nurtured this little tree along and it is currently about two feet tall. It gets regular care and watering and is fertilized
seasonally. It is a beautiful little cedar tree. It won’t need to be repotted for awhile, Maybe about a year or so. Someday, it will have its new home out of its flowerpot into the soil where it will grow very tall. But ubtil then we will keep it safe and nutured. Much Love, Cheryl

CelsoG

posted August 23, 2011 at 1:12 pm

I am also a tree hugger. When I hug a tree, I sense its energy and restful feeling. I do it by hugging frontally then turn around and use my back to feel its energy. I do however mostly when nobody is looking as they might think I am lunatic, hehe.

kjackson

posted August 23, 2011 at 7:02 pm

Thank you so much for sharing and *I* would not think you are a lunatic! ;) Tree huggers unite! (Maybe we should start a club?)

judy

posted August 23, 2011 at 9:54 am

It’s about time more people believe hugging a tree is good. I don’t mean hugging it to much that the soil becomes compacted and it dies, but it is great for your soul to hug a tree. I use to start my day when I worked for the Forest Service by hugging a tree. More power to you fellow tree hugger.

kjackson

posted August 23, 2011 at 7:03 pm

Right back at ya! Glad to find fellow tree-huggers ;)

your friend from the north

posted August 18, 2011 at 1:25 pm

Don’t worry…I’m a tree hugger too and like you said…no one understands us. Long live trees!

Pingback: In celebration of tree huggers - Beliefnet News

Another Blog To Enjoy!
Thank you for visiting My Happy Place page. This blog is no longer being updated. Please enjoy the archives. Here is another blog you may also enjoy: Inspiration Report Happy Reading!

posted 11:24:23am Apr. 18, 2012 | read full post »

Turn the Radio On
Recently the kids and I have been listening to an audio book when we're in the car, but, sometimes, between discs, we'll let the radio play. Since we gave up TV years ago...and I don't read the news, either...we can be a little out of the loop. Maybe Kirsten listening to the Tulsa radio is a bit lik

posted 8:02:27am Dec. 04, 2011 | read full post »

Miracles in the Midst of Sorrow
I've found there is no logic to how I feel in the middle of grief. I've received huge gifts, and--although I'm thankful for them because they assure me I don't have to make a drastic lifestyle change at the same time that our family has been changed so drastically--I sometimes don't have an emotiona

posted 9:33:07am Dec. 02, 2011 | read full post »

Like a Symphony
Sometimes I actually think :). I like to plan and compare and problem solve. Sometimes I think my way to an answer. Sometimes I make choices based solely on my gut whether the choice seems logical or not. I feel my way to an answer (I use this method more often than thinking!). Then there was

posted 8:08:11am Dec. 01, 2011 | read full post »

Dancing Thankful
People are always saying how it amazes them how I think, wish, pray for something and then it appears. To me this is a normal way of living so it confuses me when they say such things. I wonder, though, if maybe these little miracles aren't happening to them, too, and they're just not giving them cr

posted 7:55:34am Nov. 29, 2011 | read full post »