Happy Spring! Celebrate with these wonderful films, all with “April” in the title:
1. Enchanted April Four women in post-WWI London get away from winter chill when they take a villa in Italy. All of their lives are transformed through the unexpected connections they make with each other. Miranda Richardson, Josie Lawrence, Alfred Molina, Michael Kitchen, Polly Walker, James Broadbent, and Joan Plowright star.
2. Pieces of April A girl named April prepares Thanksgiving dinner for her estranged family, including her mother who is dying of cancer. Beautifully written and directed and unexpectedly heartwarming, with exquisitely sensitive performances from Katie Holmes, Patricia Clarkson, Alison Pill, and Derek Luke.
3. “The April Fools” Dated and uneven but irresistible story of a man (Jack Lemmon) who falls for the wife of his boss (Catherine Deneuve). In the best scene, featured in my new book, 101 Must-See Movie Moments, they meet a middle-aged couple played by Myrna Loy and Charles Boyer who show them the power of lasting love.
4. April Love Okay, it’s no classic, but it’s a sweet story about a city boy who learns about life and love when he has to go to work on a relative’s farm. Pat Boone stars and sings the Oscar-nominated title song and Shirley Jones is the pretty neighbor.
5. April in Paris A silly story about a chorus girl sent on a diplomatic mission is an excuse for singing and dancing from Doris Day and Ray Bolger.