Arrrrrrrrrrr! Avast me hearties, it be Talk Like a Pirate Day! If you have not read the classic Dave Barry tribute to this most wonderfully silly of holidays, you are in for a treat.
And what better way to celebrate than with some great pirate movies!
1. The Pirates of Penzance The classic Gilbert and Sullivan musical is about an apprentice pirate who cannot leave until his 21st birthday — but was born on Feb 29, so that means he has a long, long time to wait. Completely charming and hilarious with wonderful songs that include “Poor Wandering One” and “A Policeman’s Lot is Not a Happy One.” (All ages)
2. Pirates of the Caribbean Johnny Depp and Orlando Bloom broke the curse of the pirate movie with this smash success — improbably based on a theme park ride — that led to two sequels. (10 and up)
3. Shipwrecked Think “Home Alone” with pirates as a couple of kids have to defend an island from pirate leader Gabriel Byrne. (8 and up)
4. Peter Pan Pirate Captain Hook and his faithful sidekick Smee are no match for Peter, Wendy, and the Lost Boys in this Disney classic. (All ages. Note: Some racist and sexist material as typical for its era)
5. Captain Blood No one swashbuckles like Errol Flynn! In one of his most famous roles he plays a wrongfully convicted doctor who escapes and becomes a pirate. (8 and up)