Mormon Inquiry

Mormon Inquiry

What’s going on in the world: GM, Tiller, North Korea.

posted by Dave Banack

Nothing on the LDS news wire that’s hot, but there’s plenty going on in the world. It’s messy and getting messier. Here are a few thought-provoking links.

• Is GM the New Amtrak? Everyone seems strangely resigned about the government takeover of GM. I think it means that GM, which was once a very profitable corporation, will never make money again. But it will absorb large amounts of taxpayer money (i.e., my money and your money) for years and years. Wishful thinking is not an exit plan.
  • A gut-wrenching reflection on the Tiller assassination, with blunt thoughts on Bonhoeffer. And forceps. Not for the fainthearted.
  • North Korea. What can one say? The trial of the two US journalists was a sham and the details of their capture are obscure. It’s just shakedown politics North Korea-style. The usual prescription of a speech and media cheerleading won’t solve this one. This could drag on for months.

Rick M

posted June 8, 2009 at 8:17 pm

Someone else ask me about GM becoming the new Amtrak money pit. I tend to agree. There was a mechanism in place already for the problems GM was facing. Bankruptcy. The government take-over of this private business bothers me now that I’ve been reminded of Amtrak. The thing I’m reminded of is pre-WWII Italy and Mussolini’s promises (Italy’s train service). Those promises got him elected and the rest is history.
I’ve seen the church leaders say again and again how great and wise our founding fathers were when organizing and building the foundations of this nation. Most believe they were men inspired of God. The principles they revered and built this nation on were not those of big government. In fact, the only way the federal government could seize property was by imminent domain. They certainly should not be allowed to take over a private company such as GM, Chrysler, or even Amtrak. It is blatant economic fascism and the American taxpayer has no choice in whether to support it or not. Taxes are, after all, compulsory.
I know what my patriarchal blessing says and it is not going to be pretty. (I guess that last sentence should go in the Apocalypse thread.)

HiveRadical

posted June 9, 2009 at 2:56 am

So much shuffling of deck chairs on the titanic. Power grabs and more power grabs. That’s what all the economic, political, health care and foreign policy stuff is about. Even the foreign stuff is a big time power grab. things start to dissolve the way they were and everyone has a justification for tearing away and claiming their own slab. Politicians talk about ‘got to do this now!’ and ‘this and this is vital to that and that’
If there’s any criticism they quickly thrash back that it’s been done horribly previously, as if one’s upbringing justified them doing worse to their children.
More of the poison to cure the bite, yet they forget that anti-venom has to be processed to become anti-venom. walking into the pit of vipers is not going to change the result of the first bite.
But no one wants to know or see or face the truth even now. So few want to understand the realities of the economics of life. It’s all a bunch of Pavlovian responses. Go green, be compassionate, give it a chance.
What we collectively merit is what’s coming on us both in and out of the Church.
So many talk about justice and equality, that’s what’s coming.
What we need to do is pray for mercy and turn our hearts to repentance. And we can’t well repent collectively if we are not willing and doing so individually.

Dan

posted June 9, 2009 at 8:35 am

Dave,

What do you base that on?

Dan

posted June 9, 2009 at 8:36 am

The usual prescription of a speech and media cheerleading won’t solve this one.

Nope, but diplomacy will. ;)

Dave

posted June 9, 2009 at 9:51 am

Dan, I’m extrapolating from the sad fate of most government corporations. If it turns out otherwise, I’ll be surprised but very pleased.

Dan

posted June 10, 2009 at 7:37 am

Dave,
Can you give examples of government corporations that “never made money” outside of Amtrak (I only say this because Amtrak’s business model and environment simply do not allow it to be profitable, requiring government subsidies to survive).

Dave

posted June 10, 2009 at 11:13 am

Dan, Europe is littered with such companies. The track record is thinner in the US only because state capitalism is so new to America (since Jan. 20, 2009). I’m sure we’ll have a longer list by 2012. Like I said, if we don’t, I’ll be surprised but pleased.

Dan

posted June 10, 2009 at 3:43 pm

Dave,
Please, I’m curious for specifics. You mention european companies. Which ones are not profitable?

Dan

posted June 16, 2009 at 7:51 am

I’m still curious for those examples Dave. If you can’t find any, I understand.

Dave

posted June 16, 2009 at 11:05 am

You can read your own economic history, Dan. It’s obvious we view things differently — as for the outcome of Obama’s move toward state capitalism, we can just wait a few years and see where it gets us. If GM and Chrysler return to private ownership and profitability, I’ll be the first to cheer. If they turn into the next Amtrak, we’ll all be the poorer for it.

More blogs to enjoy!!!
Thank you for visiting Mormon Inquiry. This blog is no longer being updated. Please enjoy the archives. Here are some other blogs you may also enjoy: Most Recent Mormon Story on Beliefnet Recent prayer post on Prayables Most Recent Inspiration blog post Happy Reading!

posted 2:21:45pm Aug. 27, 2012 | read full post »

The meanings of Zion
This is the third post on Richard L. Bushman's Mormonism: A Very Short Introduction (OUP, 2008). [See Part 1 and Part 2.] In Chapter Three, Bushman reviews the several meanings of the term "Zion" in LDS doctrine and thinking. The Mormon sense of Zion has no real parallels in Protestant though

posted 11:00:37pm Jul. 29, 2009 | read full post »

A statistical portrait of Mormons
The Pew Forum recently issued a detailed summary of survey information about Mormons gathered as part of a much larger survey of religious life in the United States. It is a very readable summary, noting that Mormons comprise 1.7% of adults in the US; 35% of Mormon adults live in Utah and 13% live i

posted 12:33:08pm Jul. 29, 2009 | read full post »

July 24th: Pioneer Day in Utah
July 24th is a state holiday in Utah, designated Pioneer Day. It commemorates the entry of the first wagon train of Mormons into the Salt Lake Valley in the summer of 1847. They came down Emigration Canyon, somewhat north of the present I-80 corridor which comes down Parley's Canyon. Brigham Young w

posted 5:38:50pm Jul. 23, 2009 | read full post »

Finding heretics in strange places
A very interesting post at Mormon Matters, reviewing a 1989 book titled "Will the Real Heretics Please Stand Up?" The book was written by an attorney who grew up a Jehovah's Witness, then became an Evangelical Christian. That lasted until he conducted a thorough reading the original writings of the

posted 6:27:09pm Jul. 22, 2009 | read full post »