Medicine to Move You

Medicine to Move You

A Patient’s Powerful Poop Story

In response to Kathie’s comments on The Power of Poop post:

Unfortunately, many conventional medicine ‘experts’ do not place an emphasis on the therapeutic potency of functional elimination through the colon, kidney, skin and liver. The liver and colon play a critical role in the removal of fat soluble toxins beginning with a process called Phase I and Phase 2 conjugation. Some of you might have heard it called liver ‘detoxification.’ When we ignore the natural balance of our systems, we will see dysfunction and disease follow. When I describe optimal bowel elimination at 1-2 times a day, it is not my professional opinion- it’s a fact of nature. We wouldn’t argue that there is a certain relatively narrow and discrete oxygen level, pH level, temperature range, hydration state or calcium level, etc. that Nature, the Universe, or God has determined to be best for the human body. Why wouldn’t you believe that there would be a optimal set point for one of the most life stabilizing functions of your body- pooping?!

In this comment, it was interesting to note that she felt the worst when she reported more severe states of constipation. In Functional Medicine, her symptom set would easily guide a practitioner to ask about her biotransformation and detoxification efficiency.  Her symptom history is ‘textbook,’ as they say.   Note that once she was able to do EMDR, she reported feeling a transformation both physically and mentally. We all know that stress can be a root cause for constipation. In this case, once she addressed THE underlying trigger, her body was slowly able to resolve the psychological/emotional imbalance that was causing many of her earlier symptoms.

Our digestive system is vastly innervated and affected by the same chemical messengers that our brain uses to manifest emotions.  In simple English, humans have a very strong gut-brain connection.  You may have noted that you get ‘sick to your stomach’ with certain emotions, or a film that makes you feel sad is ‘gut wrenching.” It is not a coincidence (and we see it every day) that Kathie’s symptoms improved when her mental health corrected through EMDR.  The psychological roots of her disease were mended and her elimination pathways opened up again, restoring function to her ‘pooping’ efficacy.   When she was able to begin ‘getting the garbage out,’ other secondary symptoms began to clean up.   Alas, The Power of Poop!

TINA

posted June 9, 2011 at 8:30 am

I have been suffering from constipation for several years. Before when it was occassional; if I ate Cheerios, Sugar Crisp or had a cup of coffee, it would do the trick. Now, however, it is resistant to all of the above as well as enemas. If I take an enema it is a half day ordeal and the bowel movement is sometimes faulty. I go days without relief. Recently I tried a product to cleanse my colon but it worked but if I did not drink the hot beverage that I placed the product in immediately it would congeal.
I feel infrequent bowel movements is having an adverse effect on me internally because of the almost constant pain that I am in, i.e. pain in the adominal region, upper thighs and legs. The worse thing is that I do have medical coverage. Please advise.

Joanna

posted July 8, 2011 at 11:23 am

What is EMDR?

ester

posted July 16, 2011 at 2:58 pm

I have suffered from constipation for as long as I remember. I was once prescibed a laxative to take every nite. I wasn’t comfortable with my body being dependent on them. That’s been several years ago. Recently, I was told to take Miralax every morning. I put it in my coffee, didn’t have any remarkable results. I am now trying acai berry and colon clenz. I have only been on them a few day, lookinjg forward to remarkable change. I experience bloating very much. My stomach look like I’m carry a nine pound baby all the time. I’m very irratable, touchy, and uncomfortable. Help what can I do?

VICTOR

posted July 16, 2011 at 4:20 pm

I SUFFER FROM CONSTIPATION,BUT I HAVE DISCOVERED THE FOLLOWING:IN THE AM BEFORE BREAKFAST I DRINK 8OZ OF WATER OR MORE WITH A COUPLE OF DROPS OF LEMON JUICE,AND NOT EAT ANYTHING FOR ABOUT 45 MIN.,I THEN DRINK 1 TABLESPOON OF EXTRA VIRGIN OLIVE OIL,I THEN PROCEED TO PREPARE MY BREAKFAST,WHICH ALSO INCLUDES A CUP OF COFFEE..AFTER I FINISH MY BREAKFAST I START GETTING THE URGE,AND IT’S VERY SMOOTH AND EASY…I RECOMMEND THAT IF NEAR BEDTIME YOU GET THE URGE TO GO ,YOU SHOULD GO AND NOT HOLD IT FOR THE NEXT DAY,OTHERWISE YOU ARE GOING TO BE CONSTIPATED BECAUSE I HAVE NOTICED THAT WHEN YOU WAIT FOR THE NEXT DAY, YOUR POOP DRIES UP,THEREFORE CAUSING CONSTIPATION..PRACTICE DRINKING LOTS OF WATER AND IF YOU DON’T AGREE WITH THE TASTE OF WATER,YOU SHOULD GIVE IT SOME FLAVOR..ALSO,EAT LOTS OF FRUITS,VEGGIES,ETC..HOPE YOU ALL FIND SOME RELIEF..GOD BLESS

Diane Golembiewski

posted July 17, 2011 at 12:18 pm

Finally I’m reading a connection with mental health and constipation, I for years thought there was a relationship with my depression and bowel movements. I have tried diet, I drink alot of water,I’m active,I’m also on Effexor for depression. Any suggestions?

Jessica Gomez

posted September 2, 2011 at 12:54 am

In my opinion none of the doctors I saw for my chronic digestive issues ever had a clue about the causes and prevention of constipation. I have been on so many pills that only made things worse. It was only after I lost my horrible job that made me miserable that I could begin to recover from my digestive issues. I still use these 3 easy home remedies when I do get stressed and need to get things going.

Shannon Hollis

posted September 23, 2011 at 12:13 pm

what can i do if i only poop once every other day? somtimes i feel so bloated that i can’t fit into my clothes. The doctors say everything is fine. I have had this problem since i was little. Sometime i am lucky if i poop once a week. I am seeing this affect my weight. What can i do?

maria

posted September 23, 2011 at 4:47 pm

would you say healthy poops float or sink? I seem to have better recovery from elimination when mine float. my boyfriends poop really stink, and sink. whats up with that?

Alice

posted September 24, 2011 at 11:47 am

I have assumed the Super Hero role of “Fiber Girl”! A life long sufferer of constipation, I strive to live my life as stress free and as simply as possible BUT I have failed! I have not been able to avoid life’s complicated journey. Soooo, through God’s kind guiding hand – I have learned about the care and feeding of my body; mind and spirit! I make every effort to eat the right foods; take my fiber; drink plenty of water and I also subscribe to hydro colon cleanse treatments (which I believe have saved my life)! Oh, AND I pray Hard!!! Much luv & God’s Blessings!!!

Sandra

posted September 28, 2011 at 2:14 am

I have never been regular as far as I know. Now that I am older it seems that I am now experiencing more constipation. My stomach stays bloated all the time, as if I stay pregnant on a yearly basis. I’m hoping that the FiberCon helps. Do you have any other suggestions for me.

Cinthya - hemorrhoids treatment

posted October 2, 2011 at 1:17 pm

Constipation is a big problem, but even when it is left to progress without finding and implementing solutions to solve it, constipation can cause many diseases, early will only be uncomfortable but then imply a psychological effect for the inconvenience and embarrassment to the people , prograsivamente and I will have structural and physiological effects of the apraricion diverticula, hemorrhoids, megacolon, therefore, as mentioned simpre prevention is cheaper than when purchased tratamenti evil

Bill Peterson

posted December 23, 2011 at 2:37 pm

On Oct. 1st, 2011 I eliminated red meat and
dairy products from my diet. I now enjoy full
bowel movements twice a day and i’m sure there is NO accumulation of putrid waste in
my system. Oh! what a relief it is!

More Blogs To Enjoy!!!
Thank you for visiting Medicine To Move You. This blog is no longer being updated. Please enjoy the archives. Here are some other blogs you may also enjoy: Sacred Medicine Inspiration Report Happy Reading!!!

posted 8:58:01am Jul. 06, 2012 | read full post »

Diabetes Linked to Alzheimer's Disease Risk
Alzheimer's…the word alone is enough to scare most people over 50.  Whether it be because we know someone or some family that has been effected by this condition or whether we fear it for ourselves, Alzheimer's disease (AD) has become a popular concern for my older patients.  By the way, many of

posted 6:56:29am Sep. 26, 2011 | read full post »

A Bone-afied Plan for Managing Osteoporosis
Surprise, surprise.  In the news this last week, another class of pharmaceutical medications is undergoing scrutiny by the Food and Drug Administration (FDA) for safety concerns.  Known as  ‘bisphosphonates’, this class include drugs such as Fosamax (alendronate), Boniva, Actonel and Reclast

posted 4:29:52pm Sep. 19, 2011 | read full post »

Cell Phones Linked to Brain Tumors
Cell phones are here to stay and we knew it the moment we laid hands on our first mobile communication superstar back in the early 1990s.  Technology has come a long way from the remote control sized cell phone and getting in touch with someone never seemed so easy.  But with everything that socie

posted 8:15:46am Sep. 04, 2011 | read full post »

How to Rationalize Your Chocolate
Death by chocolate?  Well, maybe not so.  You may have heard that there is a saving grace in that luxurious, seemingly sinful, guilty pleasure called chocolate.  Well, here's the latest scoop but I've kept it kiddie size. Chocolate goodness starts as a sparkle in a cacao tree's eye.  Cacao be

posted 5:09:08pm Aug. 29, 2011 | read full post »