A Touch of Encouragement

A Touch of Encouragement

Translating the Language of Love

posted by Brandi Harkonen

After being introduced to the book “The Five Languages of Love” by Dr. Gary Chapman, Martha Williamson finally learned how to listen and was able to hear “I love you” in more ways than just words.

Debbie

posted May 11, 2010 at 8:18 am

Hi Martha,
Really enjoyed this video from the archives. The message it gives certainly bears repeating. Hoping all is well with you though. It seems you were sick and then came back to make some new videos and now there have been several archive videos in a row. Praying for you and your beautiful family.

dEE

posted May 11, 2010 at 12:20 pm

It is not always easy to say i love you 2 some people and it is easier to show them,.

flowernthesnow

posted May 11, 2010 at 12:25 pm

Big topic and so wonderfully delivered as always.
“The single biggest problem in communication is the illusion that it has taken place.”–George Bernard Shaw
There is a universal language of love that breaks all barriers of cultural language that is not understood by the other. Tears and laughter. We all understand both painful and happy times and you speak love to us all with your touch of encouragement.

Mary Hicks

posted May 11, 2010 at 5:47 pm

I KNOW HOW NOT TELLING SOME ONE YOU LOVE THEM..MY HUSBAND AND I NEVER SAY IT.
HE TELLS THE 4 CATS “I LOVE ALL MY BABIES” BUT NEVER TELLS ME. WE HAVE KNOW EACH OTHER SINCE 1986 BUT HE GIVES ME CARDS AND ACTUALLY SURPRISED ME THIS MOTHER’S DAY WITH FLOWERS!!
HE HAS NEVER GIVEN ME FLOWERS IN THE YEARS WE HAVE BEEN MARRIED.. GOES TO SHOW YOU, ITS NOT ALWAYS WORDS THAT SAY I LOVE YOU. I DO EXTRA HOUSE WORK OR HELP WITH THE BILLS, THATS MY WAY OF SAYING IT(WE HAVE SEPARATE ACCOUNTS)..WE GOT MARRIED IN 1997.
SINCERLY,
MARY HICKS

Jody Stevens-Curtis

posted May 11, 2010 at 6:16 pm

I love your videos Martha,especially this one..!! My husband is soooo good to me and even wrote a love note on the bathroom mirror with my red lipstick..!! He loves buying me gifts and tells me he loves me all the time..!! I have the BEST husband in the world…He is truly a gift from God..Sometimes I will find a love note on the dashboard of my car when I get in it to go to school or on my dresser when I wake up that he has written and left for me to find…I love him soooo much and will NEVER take him for granted, because he IS a gift from God. Before him ALL my previous relationships were VERY abusive. I guess God thought it was time for me to be happy because NOW I truly am…Thanks again Martha for ALL your inspiring messages..I wanted to write this to show others NOT to give up if they haven’t found their MR or MRS right…wait on the Lord and he will give you the desires of your heart..!! Jody Stevens-Curtis

Dianne

posted May 11, 2010 at 8:12 pm

Wow! Beautiful Martha, I do really appreciate this video as it clears up some anxious questions in my mind. I am also learning to listen to the different languages around me and how to respond to them. I will get this book by Gary Chapman, Thanks a million and God bless you for being such a great encourager-:)

SuzanneWA

posted May 11, 2010 at 9:32 pm

My adoptive parents were never the kind to come right out and say,”I love you,” nor were they “huggers” (something I found I needed as I looked back – that physical “touch” that means so much to me). Sure, my Dad lavished me with gifts and trips to the Big City to see musicals and plays; he saw to it that I had flute lessons from the Chicago Orchestra’s first flautest (who told my Dad to his face that I “had NO talent”); and we had steak cookouts all summer. My Mom made sure that she was the Brownie leader, later to become the Girl Scout and Boy Scout leader; she cooked EVERY night, wonderful dinners that I still remember; and she bought me the most outrageous clothes from second-hand stores. But I never heard “I love you” from either of them. I finally found my biological mother, and what a difference! Every time we end a phone call (she lives in the West and I live in VA), we say, enthusiastically, “I love you VERY much,” which makes my day and lightens my life. Who wouldn’t love a Mother who exhibits her love VOCALLY?? I met Mom in 2004, when she brought me on an all-expense-paid trip to WY to spend 10 days with my biological brothers and sister-in-law in Yellowstone Park!! We whitewater rafted (something I normally wouldn’t do, but with the encouragement of my new-found family, I did it!), and stopped to watch Old Faithful, which “faithfully” went off about 4 times while we were in the Park. So – here are two different ways of expressing LOVE – neither one better than the other – just “different.”

Angie

posted May 12, 2010 at 2:32 am

Hi Martha
I was just reading people,s letters to you, and its so true we are all so different.
Even in the way we express are Love for people, I was brought up in a house hold of seven kids. My Mom and Dad never really told us all the time that they loved us. We always knew !!!!!Now today I still am not that person That says I love you all the time . I do it with giveing my time and try and listen to people . The Lord loves us no matter what.
Thank You Again for such great insight God Bless Angie

JOHN W

posted May 13, 2010 at 1:52 am

MARTHA, I READ EVERYTHING YOU TALK ABOUT, OR I WATCH, YOU HAVE MADE A GREAT DIFFERENC IN ME, I AM LOOSING THE LOVE OF MY LIFE, DRUGS, STUPID BEHAVOR, AND IT KILLS ME, YOU GIVE ME INSPERATION, 35 YEARS OF DRUGS, CLEAN NOW 4 MONTHS, AND IT HAS BEEN YOU WHO BROUGHT ME THROUGH MUCH OF THIS, YOUR GREAT, YOUR HONEST, YOUR MY FRIEND, SOMETIME I HOPE GOD GRANTS ME THE PRIVILADGE OF SEEING YOU, IT WOULD BE A REAL HONOR, YOU HAVE SAVED A MAN, WHO WAS A BOY, I THANK YOU WITH ALL MY HEART, YOUR TRUE READER, WATCHER, FRIEND JOHN WULFF

Your Name

posted May 17, 2010 at 12:31 pm

Hi Martha,
I love watching and reading love stories,when your heart is filled with love towards other people,there’s no day that passes by that you are not happy or laughing.I once have a love that i thought would never fade,i thought it is enough to be giving love,not receiving love.I have no idea about being married and raising kids,yet,i have a heart to give it all,and so,i am making it as a mother to my four lovely girls.Inspite of a love that fades away,i remain hopeful and prayerful that one day,God will take away all the pains,renew all the things in my life and make even my broken heart whole again.I believe
in the power of God and to the power of prayers,God Himself taught us to ask anything in prayers,and when i pray,that means i leave all things into God’s hands because surely,when i get the answer,His best love is poured out upon me and i shall be glad and rejoicing for no matter how His answer to my payers would be,i know and i believe,its gong to be the best.thank you Martha for this wonderful video about love.
fr.red butterfly:)

More Blogs To Enjoy!!!
Thank you for visiting Martha Williamson. This blog is no longer being updated. Please enjoy the archives. Here are some other blogs you may also enjoy: Red Letters with Tom Davis Recent prayer post on Prayables Most Recent Inspiration blog post Happy Reading!

posted 11:30:46am Aug. 16, 2012 | read full post »

New Videos Are Available on atouchofencouragement.com

posted 10:31:18am Sep. 17, 2010 | read full post »

New Videos Are Available on atouchofencouragement.com
Martha Williamson's "A Touch of Encouragement" videos can now be seen at atouchofencouragement.com. We apologize for any inconvenience this may have caused.

posted 3:09:00pm Jul. 27, 2010 | read full post »

Asking for Help
When we find ourselves too emotionally and physically exhausted to ask for help, Martha Williamson believes if we just stand still and call out to God with faith, confidence and patience He will be there to answer our prayer.

posted 5:54:24am Jun. 22, 2010 | read full post »

When Father's Day is Tough
Martha Williamson realizes that for some Father's Day isn't always a day to celebrate, but she reminds us that there is One Father who will always be there for us. Watch Martha's tribute to her father in "The Hero on the Dresser."

posted 6:10:00am Jun. 18, 2010 | read full post »