A Touch of Encouragement

A Touch of Encouragement

A Mother’s Wisdom

posted by Brandi Harkonen

Martha Williamson shares how her mother’s favorite sayings have impacted her life and even kept her going when times got tough.
Share your favorite “Mom-ism” this Mother’s Day.

flowernthesnow

posted May 7, 2010 at 7:43 am

This is so wonderful and inspiring. Interesting that my mother has so many cliche’s that taught me so many things that has guided my life so I bought her a journal and had her write down some so they would not be lost. However, having her say them just at the right time has so much more meaning than reading them from a journal. She is 80 now and still surprises me with a new one now and then. Here is just a few.
Don’t overlook an Orchid while searching for a Rose.
Oh what a tangled web we weave when once we practice to deceive.
Worry is like a rocking chair it gives you something to do but takes you no where
The pitcher does not go to the well so often that it does not come back broken
If you dig a ditch for your brother you may fall in it yourself
A stitch in time saves nine
Don’t let your heart rule your head
A dog that will bring a bone will also carry one
Put legs on your prayers
Don’t let your good be evil spoken of
Weight (wait) is what broke the wagon down
Pretty is as pretty does
A barking dog never bites
When you make your bed you have to lay in it
Everything that shines is not gold

Judy

posted May 7, 2010 at 8:13 am

Probably the phrase my mom used most often was Don’t judge a book by its’ cover. But the one I adopted and use for myself and for an encouragement for my own children–who are all adults now– is This, Too, Shall Pass. I sign a lot of things with thistooshallpass. She said it all as one word as do I. It is a promise I rely on. Judy

Mamie Cornish

posted May 7, 2010 at 8:25 am

EVERY STITCH YOU PUT IN ON SUNDAY, YOU WILL RIP OUT ON MONDAY
OUR GOD IS A BIG GOD
DO NOT START NEW THINGS ON FRIDAY, FINISH ALL YOUR PROJECTS BEFORE FRIDAY
I CALL THESE MOM’S “TRUISMS”.

Valdez Deboe

posted May 7, 2010 at 8:33 am

Isn’t it amazing how the older we get the smarter our Mothers are. One of my Mom’s favorite sayings was “Time brings about a change”. Being young and knowing EVERYTHING, I’d say something and Mom would say, “Keep Livin’”. When she really wanted to get her point across, she’d say, “One thing for certain, and two things for sure”.
She’s not longer with me, I miss her dearly, but her words of wisdom live on. I even hear my sons saying, “Time brings about a change”. Yes, Momma, it really does.

Jackie

posted May 7, 2010 at 9:45 am

I loved your post today. With mother’s day coming up I wrote this article for my column in our local newspaper. My mother’s “mommyisms” have carried me through my entire life.
With all My Heart
“I don’t care who started it!” my mother screamed at her four arguing children. “Don’t make me come in there.”
During my childhood, my mom had a litany of one-liners she’d yell at us to get her point across. There was “If wishes were horses, beggars would ride,” “eat everything on your plate, children are starving in China,” and, of course, her tried-and-true explanation for everything, “I just want the best for you.” But my favorite was “I love you with all my heart.”
In the 1950s, I found her statement odd. What did love have to do with a fist-sized muscular organ responsible for pumping blood? Equating that mushy thing beating in her chest with how she felt about me was a little unsettling. None-the-less, those words were etched into my mind and somehow made me feel safe.
As we became teenagers and young adults, the last thing she wrote on every card or said as we walked out the door was, “Remember, I love you with all my heart.” Not a day went by that I didn’t hear those endearing words.
Years passed. I too became a mother of four. I tried to follow her example of what it meant to be a good, moral woman. And just like her, I found myself repeating mommyisms , “life is unfair,” “because I said so,” and “one day you’ll thank me.” Strangely enough, I steered clear of her signature trademark.
Was I too cool to be so sappy? God knows I adore my children and gush over them ad nauseam. Perhaps I felt the words were a bit old-fashion for this hip mom to say. But one moment changed everything.
From the time my mom was 57, she suffered one excruciating ailment after another. For the next 30 years, she survived on an arsenal of narcotics as each limb and organ disintegrated. Outside help was unheard of in the Madden family, and I was placed in charge of her medical care. There was nothing I could do to alleviate the constant pain of the most important woman in my life.
One day, in 2003, as she lay writhing in pain, I bent over to gently kiss her and fluff her pillow. I’m sure that my teary eyes made my inner sadness evident to her. Besides knowing our time was limited, my personal life was in ruins as I struggled through my divorce. My entire world was crumbling and she could see it.
Being the quintessential lioness whose first instinct is to protect her cub, she put her own pain aside. Pulling my 51-year-old body into her bed, she held me close, trying to soothe my aching heart.
“Jackie,” she whispered into my ear, “always remember, I love you with all my heart.”
In that moment, the intensity of those words reverberated in my soul. It suddenly became crystal clear: no matter how old we become, nothing in this world will ever compare to the love a mother has for her child.
A week later she was gone. Standing by her bed, holding her hand as she slipped away, I knew I’d never be loved again to the depth she had for me and I wondered if my children really knew how much I loved them.
Now, when I bid my adult babies adieu, I lovingly call the same words my mother made so rich with meaning. I’m sure they think I’m weird, but I don’t worry. When they’re parents, they’ll understand what it means to love with their whole heart – beautiful, unconditional and eternal.

Cynthia

posted May 7, 2010 at 2:45 pm

Some more saying from MY MOM :)
The wheel that squeaks gets the grease.
The early bird get’s the worm.
GOD never put’s you through anything he know’s you can’t handle.

Alice

posted May 7, 2010 at 3:46 pm

This is the 2nd year away from my mother since she moved to NC. I live in KS at the moment. I miss her a lot when I need to chat but realize that time moves on and so do we. Your celebration of life towards your mother is beautiful. Thanks for helping me through this time.

Lynda

posted May 7, 2010 at 8:49 pm

Unfortunately, I lost my mother to cancer when I was only 16…and her funeral was the first one I had ever attended. Being a teenager, possibly a little rebellious, you never think your mom would ever leave you! I sure wish I could have had more ‘mom-isms’ to remember and share. The ones that come to mind are “The Golden Rule and “always do your best” and I have always tried to live my life with these in mind. I miss her and wish I could have had many more years with her.

I LAL

posted May 7, 2010 at 9:52 pm

My mother has been a gem in my life. She went through a lot of hardships and gave us the best in whatever way she can often giving us the wisdom of her experience. A year ago when I had my birthday alone with her, she told me that the only thing constant in life is change and that we must always see that to allow our children to experience their lives fully. For those words, I changed my atttitude and allowed my kids to experience things that they wanted to. Before there were so many restrictions but these days, they come back and thank me for giving them support.

Lucy

posted May 8, 2010 at 12:18 am

My beloved Mom passed away a few years ago to be with my dear Dad and with Our Blessed Lord. She was a little Sicilian woman who was grounded in practicality and who did not suffer fools easily. She taught us to work hard, be kind, love God, and not to worry needlessly. To this end, her favorite saying(in Sicilian, of course)was “Don’t get wet before it rains.”

Linda

posted May 8, 2010 at 2:08 pm

I just loved your story. My mother passed away 7yrs ago and the thing I remeber mosy of all the things she told me WAS CHOOSE YOUR FRIENDS WISELY which of course as teens and young adults we hardly ever do she is at peace with our Lord Jesus

Angie

posted May 8, 2010 at 3:18 pm

Hi Martha
Hope you have a great Mothers Day, My Mom always had a few sayings she always told us
always Marrie a man that loves you more!!!! Coming from a big Irish family, she
always said put God first in your Life and everything else will come together. A family
that Prays together stays together, Always listen to your children.Always have respect
for others and a Thank You goes along way!!!!!!!
Take Care & God Bless Angie

Capriccioso of Port Orchard, WA

posted May 8, 2010 at 4:48 pm

Your message for this mother’s day brought to my mind the supportive, (and sometimes, disciplinary), sayings my mother had for my older sister, older brother, myself, and younger sister. I remember as teen coming home to a kitchen full of many of these more familiar saying posted on cupboards, walls, bulletin boards and the refrigerator. One in particular I remember–something like–”Don’t judge an Indian before walking his moccasins.” My mom, having lived and enjoyed the Denver, and SW U.S. areas, had interest in Native American crafts and history. I came to know how much hearing and seeing that phrase helped form my values, and what else was behind her posting the message.
About my 30s, as I became became a mother to my son and watched other parents, I was less quick to judge the idiosyncrosies children bring to a family experience. Tolerance for the prosecuted has become a mainstay in my morals when I hear hateful speech, or see hateful actions. I know my mom’s faith in God she lived and showed us brought me console to remember in my times of searching and loneliness. I learned from my mom using that phrase there are ‘Indians’ out there walking in my moccasins, and to find them when I need I earthly help… maybe, it was my mom way of teaching us to turn outward to others for help to find our strength God gives within ourselves.
Since my mom passed away in 12-26-1998, I wish I could talk with her more of her wisdom she did have, but didn’t have time to tell us. Since 2003, I reached out to others in a stroke support group to thelp me grasp an understanding of vision and comprehension complications that changed actions. Listening and questioning helped me reconcile my changes and the strengths I still retain. Since my stroke during surgery in 2000, I’ve recognized my mom’s actions in her 50s and 60s were those of her undiagnosed stroke(s’) complications. I saw her work with her body changes to maintain the strengths that remained–to use the gifts that were hidden or unused previously. With the phrase, my mom helped me learned their are others that have walked in her moccasins. I now speak and write for the disabled unable to voice that their moccasins are the same as many others, and can be shared to walk in.

Glenda

posted May 9, 2010 at 1:00 am

Happy Mother’s day to you too Martha. My mother was such a giving warm and fun loving person. She never wanted us to worry about her even up to the last. When she was dying and in a coma as each of us girls whispered in her ear that we were there and loved her she came to enough to say I love you. This meant so much to each of us. My sister who had troubles with a bad marriage said mom used to kiss her behind the ear and say this is for when you need it. I so miss my mom on Mother’s Day. I am looking forward to the day when I can see her in heaven.

Glenda

posted May 9, 2010 at 1:01 am

DEBRA

posted May 9, 2010 at 5:42 pm

HAPPY MOTHER’S DAY!!!
MY MOTHER, LIBBY, WHO IS STILL WITH US SAID:
1) YOU CAN NEVER GAIN TRUE HAPPINESS AT SOMEONE ELSE’S EXPENSE.
2) WHEN YOU LAY DOWN WITH ‘DOGS’ YOU GET UP WITH FLEAS!

Donna

posted May 9, 2010 at 6:27 pm

Happy Mother’s day everybody.
I remember whenever it was raining out, my brothers and I would fuss about having to go outside for whatever reason. We grew up on a farm, so it was typically to water the cows, feed the chickens, or tend to something. Mom would always say, “There’s only two things that melt – witches and sugar – and since you’re not either, get on out there”.
She always said it with a smile on her face and love in her heart and to this day I live by this motto. In fact, I have personally extended it to include not only when there’s actually rain falling from the sky, but any adverse situation – be it the actual weather or any negative aspect in my life. Regardless of what it is, I remind myself that I won’t ‘melt’ and I lift up my eyes to God, put one foot in front of the other and face my day.

Grace

posted May 9, 2010 at 11:03 pm

Go as far as you can and when you do your best and get weary – pray and tell
God you have done all you can and HE will do the rest……..

Quran learning

posted May 10, 2010 at 7:58 am

Probably the phrase my mom used most often was Don’t judge a book by its’ cover. Quran learning

Jill

posted May 10, 2010 at 9:41 am

When I was in my 20′s, I was in a business situation that gave me exposure to many types of people, not all of whom were the type of people that I had grown up with. Some were kind, ethical and generous… and some were not. My mother was not one to give a lot of advice, but that is precisely why I paid such close attention when she chose to do so. Watching me struggle with who I could trust, she said, ” There’s a difference between a good personality and a good person.” For some reason, this made it quite evident which each person really was,as many of them had “bigger than life” personalities. I have used this yardstick many, many times over the years.Thank you, Mom!

MARY BLAKLEY WITH U CARE DIAGNOSTICS

posted May 10, 2010 at 11:53 am

HAPPY MOTHERS DAY TO ALL..AND WE MOTHERS WOULD ALSO LIKE TO SAY THANK YOU KIDS FOR LOVING US..I THANK GOD FOR MY FAMILY AND THEIR LOVE..AND EVEN IF YOUR MOM IS ALREADY GONE TO HEAVEN..THE THINGS SHE SAID TO YOU AND TRIED TO TEACH YOU WILL BE WITH YOU FOREVER.. THANK
YOU GOD FOR MY FAMIY,MY HEALTH, AND MY WONDERFUL JOB..I AM A PART OF A WONDERFUL MEDICAL LIFE SAVING COMPANY..WE OFFER TOTAL BODY ULTRASOUND SCANS AT A VERY AFFORDABLE PRICE,AND WE ARE HELPING TO SAVE LIVES AND SO MY JOB IS NOT LIKE A JOB BUT LIKE A CALLIN ON MY LIFE..SO EVERYONE STAY CLOSE TO GOD AND HE WILL STAY CLOSE TO YOU..IF ONLY THERE WERE MORE SHOWS LIKE TOUCHED BY AN ANGEL..INSTEAD OF ALL THE TRASH ON TV..HAPPY MOTHERS DAY..MARY