A Touch of Encouragement

A Touch of Encouragement

Getting Over It

posted by Brandi Harkonen

While recovering from the flu, Martha Williamson knew she wasn’t in charge of what came next; she just needed to surrender to the healing process. That became a good lesson in remembering that surrender isn’t necessarily weakness, it can simply be about getting out of our own way and trusting God to do His good work.

Lorraine

posted April 13, 2010 at 7:30 am

Hi Martha ,thank you for this beautiful message.I am running the marathon in less than 2 weeks and went for a run this morning.i did not go far because i fell on the towpath.With bleeding knees i walked back home really annoyed with myself.Yes i am guilty of all the above mentioned.Makes me realize how grateful i should be that i don’t have broken legs.
thanks again for helping me remember who is in charge.

Donna

posted April 13, 2010 at 9:18 am

Good morning Martha,
As with most things God needs us to hear, your message was right on time and on target.
I was recently diagnosed with breast cancer and have been dealing with all the ramifications that come with it. I own a hair salon and also work as an educator for a national hair care company so needless to say my plate is always full. I returned late last night from a program that I facilitated in another state and am preparing to go out this weekend to do another. However, I’m feeling really tired and woke up this morning feeling like I need to try and get out of doing my upcoming class. I love doing these programs but they are pretty exhausting even on a good day, now I feel it even more so. I know I need to conserve my energy and be in a good place mentally as well as physically for the surgery and chemo that lies ahead. Thank you helping me to see that I have to focus on staying healthy and strong and letting go and letting God.

Cynthia

posted April 13, 2010 at 10:53 am

Something so simple.sometimes we forget to do this because we are so caught in wondering what to do. Thanks for the reminder. :)
God Bless You.

Beverly Thieolf

posted April 13, 2010 at 11:01 am

Good Morning Martha,
In listening to you this morning fit my last 6 weeks to a tee! I thought I was in control when I first had symptoms of what I self diagnosed to be a head cold, allegies, maybe some bronchitis and I went about taking all the OVC stuff to fix it. This went on for two weeks and by the time I decided to see a Doctor she diagnosed me with pnemonia. After two regimins of anitbiotics and much coughing and blowing, a second trip to the Doctor, a rash, and no energy level at all I am beginning to be on the mend. What I enjoyed mostly about your message was the fact that I still tried to contol some of my activities and work them in if I thought I could muster up one bit of energy even to visit. The thought crossed my mind that maybe God wanted me to slow down and depend on Him and surrender my control and see how it felt to just relax, heal, be still and know that He is God. Thank you for your message; you are a blessing to us readers and I thank God that you are feeling better.
Blessings,
Bev

jOHN

posted April 13, 2010 at 1:52 pm

Martha i sure do enjoy listening to your stories about life in general. You are a wise beautiful person. I don’t want to spoil my macho image by letting my buddies know that i am subscribed to a really special ladies newsletter. I thoroughly enjoy every one of them
Thank you so much.
John

Angie

posted April 13, 2010 at 5:25 pm

Hi Martha
Again you have great insight about Life,I was thinking the other day
almost the same thing.We do have to sit back and let the Lord be in charge.
We dont seem to have time any more to stop and smell the flowers. We are just
wondering whats next in are lives,and we get so anxious about everything and everybody.
I always say I was really glad to be brought up in a time when we looked forward to everything, The kids today really have nothing to look forward to. They seem to have it all now.!!!!Thank you again for your great insight and take good care of you, remember
we only have one body.God Bless Angie

Peggy

posted April 13, 2010 at 8:04 pm

Thank you, thank you for always sharing such inspirational messages, May God continue to bless you always.

twicewidowed

posted April 13, 2010 at 11:39 pm

Martha, You hit the nail on the head!.. again! We want instant everything! I find myself rushing as much as anyone. Recently a widow mentioned to me that she thought she’d be “over” her grief in a month and couldn’t figure why she wasn’t. Sadly, I have found that to be a pretty common response. I have been widowed 10 years and 5 years and still not “over” either of them. The adjustments are ongoing. We are exactly as you described!
Thank you for always being “right on” with your encouragements. I look forward to them so very much!

Bill Wilson ACT "Down Under"

posted April 14, 2010 at 9:26 pm

It is great to read that God has heard our prayers and you are recovering as we really need you and your positive view on our spiritual lives. God has also helped me in that my cancer review yesterday showed an all clear .May God continue to bless you and yours

Jane Majusiak

posted April 17, 2010 at 11:02 am

Dear Martha,
I’ve lost my best friend my husband Tom,2years ago in July.He battled skin cancer ,died to the day 6 months after the said he was.I miss him so much,i go see 1 a week where he was buried.My brother worries about me ,but I am strong willed lady and I can do it.I go to go to the emergercy room 3 weeks ago stayed there 1 week cause I have Cellitius on my right leg do to brown spider bit that I got 13 years ago.I got really sick Thursday nite ,can’t keep anything down.I was all kinds of pills,even they didn’t read my chart so they gave me double high blood pressure pills I hope nothing comes of that,so now i’m off all of those pills I got in the hospitial and when I came home.The pills have messed up my belly.For now on I have to start over eating agaian.I think that’s wrong,they should of known what they were doing.It’s not fair to me to go through this alone.I’ve lost so much weight in 3 weeks they say thats not enough.I,m so upset yesterday that I cried when I got home from the doctor.Know one knows what I’ve been through but my best friends whom I talk to about it.I know I am number 1 cause I live byself.I have to take care of me,so my boys and grandkids,will have mom and grandmama even my dogs ,I ahve to get better……….
May God Bless You,
Jane M.

MIchelle

posted April 26, 2010 at 2:03 am

I would like to schedule my wellness to be over next week. I have told God, company and my medical team that I am tired of having cancer and that it entails. They all laughed at me.
God has given a great medical team, who have treated the cancer and found no more cancer that they know about about. I wanted to have the surgery last month, needless to say God had other plans.
Surrender and let God heal us. It’s a great concept and I agree the more I get out of God’s way and do what he tells me to do the better I feel, the less frighten I am and the more likely the day will have a lot of sunshine to it, even if it’s only in my mind.
p.s. the lady up above who has breast cancer, the best thing I’ve learned is listen to the doctors, your body and to pray a lot. The world will wait for you.

More Blogs To Enjoy!!!
Thank you for visiting Martha Williamson. This blog is no longer being updated. Please enjoy the archives. Here are some other blogs you may also enjoy: Red Letters with Tom Davis Recent prayer post on Prayables Most Recent Inspiration blog post Happy Reading!

posted 11:30:46am Aug. 16, 2012 | read full post »

New Videos Are Available on atouchofencouragement.com

posted 10:31:18am Sep. 17, 2010 | read full post »

New Videos Are Available on atouchofencouragement.com
Martha Williamson's "A Touch of Encouragement" videos can now be seen at atouchofencouragement.com. We apologize for any inconvenience this may have caused.

posted 3:09:00pm Jul. 27, 2010 | read full post »

Asking for Help
When we find ourselves too emotionally and physically exhausted to ask for help, Martha Williamson believes if we just stand still and call out to God with faith, confidence and patience He will be there to answer our prayer.

posted 5:54:24am Jun. 22, 2010 | read full post »

When Father's Day is Tough
Martha Williamson realizes that for some Father's Day isn't always a day to celebrate, but she reminds us that there is One Father who will always be there for us. Watch Martha's tribute to her father in "The Hero on the Dresser."

posted 6:10:00am Jun. 18, 2010 | read full post »