Mark D. Roberts

Mark D. Roberts

A Bumper Sticker You Don’t See Every Day

posted by Mark D. Roberts

I’ve been noting some unusual bumper stickers recently. These are the sort you don’t see every day, not even in Texas. And you never see things like this in California, at least not in my experience.
So I thought I’d share some of my recent sightings with you. Here’s the first. Get ready to laugh, or cringe, or both . . . .

So, take that, Mr. President Elect!

Scott A.

posted December 16, 2008 at 12:34 pm

That is an interesting bumper sticker.
I suppose it means something from the outside (e.g. the government) is challenging both his religion and gun owning, so he is forced to cling.
But it could also mean, if we put the emphasis on the “and”, that his religion and gun owning are challenging each other such that he might let go of one of the two.
Having grown up in Texas, I’m sure its the former. Too bad we dont’ have more of the latter.

Mark Roberts

posted December 16, 2008 at 1:07 pm

Scott: An interesting observation!

Dan Williams

posted December 16, 2008 at 2:29 pm

This is a quote from Barack Obama, that he made about the people of rural Pennsylvania prior to that states primary in April.
Quoting http://www.foxnews.com/politics/elections/2008/04/11/obama-draws-fire-for-comments-on-small-town-america/:
Obama made the original comments while speaking to a group of wealthy California donors in San Francisco over the weekend. The Huffington Post quotes him specifically singling out towns in Pennsylvania, where he’s trying to woo voters and overcome Clinton’s lead in the polls before the state’s April 22 primary.
“Our challenge is to get people persuaded that we can make progress when there’s not evidence of that in their daily lives,” he said. “You go into these small towns in Pennsylvania and, like a lot of small towns in the Midwest, the jobs have been gone now for 25 years and nothing’s replaced them. And they fell through the Clinton administration, and the Bush administration, and each successive administration has said that somehow these communities are going to regenerate and they have not.
“And it’s not surprising then they get bitter, they cling to guns or religion or antipathy to people who aren’t like them or anti-immigrant sentiment or anti-trade sentiment as a way to explain their frustrations.”

Mark Roberts

posted December 16, 2008 at 2:32 pm

Dan: Yes, indeed. That’s the irony of the bumper sticker. Thanks for the additional info.

Ron

posted December 16, 2008 at 9:10 pm

Something I put together a few days ago and the guns and faith thing. Personally, in regards to the bumper sticker — I cringe

Bill Goff

posted December 17, 2008 at 6:24 pm

Since Texans seem to have rather large cars, I suggest this bumper sticker might fit one of them:
AS A WAY TO EXPLAIN MY FRUSTRATIONS I CLING TO MY ANTIPATHY TO PEOPLE WHO ARE NOT LIKE ME AND MY ANTI-IMMIGRANT SENTIMENT AND MY ANTI-TRADE SENTIMENT.
Well, maybe not.
I just learned that my pastor, Rick Warren, is going to give the invocation at Barack Obama’s Inauguration – at least according to the always reliable Orange County Register. I plan to be there with maybe a few other people on the Mall.

Mark D. Roberts

posted December 17, 2008 at 10:55 pm

Bill: Ironically, people in my part of Texas are mostly very pro-immigrant. We have lots of ties with northern Mexico here, and most people are pro-trade and pro-immigration. I’ve heard conservatives criticize the border fence idea, and look for ways to have more interaction with Mexico. It seems quite different from things in California. I almost never hear the kind of worries about illegal immigration that I heard in California. Not quite sure why . . . .

Mal Byrne

posted December 19, 2008 at 4:36 pm

Bill:
I am a Texan. I am not anti-immigrant and or anti-trade. What I am though, which may translate to anti-”either of the above” is disenchanted by a political/cultural system that allows a segmented society vs assimilation. Oh, and by the way I drive a Honda.

More blogs to enjoy!!!
Thank you for visiting Mark D. Roberts. This blog is no longer being updated. Please enjoy the archives. Here are some other blogs you may also enjoy: Red Letters with Tom Davis Recent prayer post on Prayables Most Recent Inspiration blog post Happy Reading!

posted 2:09:11pm Aug. 27, 2012 | read full post »

Why Did Jesus Have to Die? Conclusions
In this series on the death of Jesus, I have presented four different perspectives on why Jesus had to die: Roman, Jewish, Jesus’, and Early Christian. I believe that each of these points of view has merit, and that we cannot fully understand the necessity of Jesus’ death without taking them all

posted 2:47:39am Apr. 11, 2011 | read full post »

Sunday Inspiration from the High Calling
Can We Find God in the City? Psalm 48:1-14 Go, inspect the city of Jerusalem. Walk around and count the many towers. Take note of the fortified walls, and tour all the citadels, that you may describe them to future generations. For that is what God is like. He is our God forever and ever,

posted 2:05:51am Apr. 10, 2011 | read full post »

Why Did Jesus Have to Die? The Perspective of the First Christians, Part 3
An Act and Symbol of Love Perhaps one of the most startling of the early Christian interpretations of the cross was that it was all about love. It’s easy in our day, when crosses are religious symbols, attractive ornaments, and trendy jewelry to associate the cross with love. But, in the first

posted 2:41:47am Apr. 08, 2011 | read full post »

Why Did Jesus Have to Die? The Perspective of the First Christians, Part 2
The Means of Reconciliation In my last post, I examined one of the very earliest Christian statements of the purpose of Jesus’ death. According to the tradition encapsulated in 1 Corinthians 15, Jesus died “for our sins in accordance with the scriptures” (15:3). Yet this text doesn’t expl

posted 2:30:03am Apr. 07, 2011 | read full post »