Lynn v. Sekulow

Lynn v. Sekulow

Juan Williams’ Firing: Political Correctness Over the Top

posted by Jay Sekulow

Barry, it’s the ultimate in political correctness.  Losing your job for being honest – for expressing a feeling – a thought.  The problem is that in the case of former NPR journalist Juan Williams, an honest thought – expressing a feeling – about Muslims and 9-11 – cost him his job.

In an interview on FOX’s O’Reilly Factor, Williams merely expressed a thought that is on the minds of millions of Americans in a post-9/11 world:

“I mean, look, Bill, I’m not a bigot. You know the kind of books I’ve written about the civil rights movement in this country.  But when I get on a plane, I got to tell you, if I see people who are in Muslim garb and I think, you know, they are identifying themselves first and foremost as Muslims, I get worried. I get nervous.”

Moments after that sentence, he went on to say that it’s wrong to believe that all Muslims are terrorists and that all Americans have to be careful not to let fears lead to the violation of anyone’s constitutional rights.  In addition to the complete interview, which NPR clearly ignored, Williams accurately recounts what happened in his own words.

I don’t agree with Williams’ political views. But I do agree with his right to express a thought – to speak honestly.  The fact is that NPR’s action was outrageous.  In addition to firing him with a phone call, the President and CEO of NPR slammed him further by questioning his sanity when she stated he needs to be talking to his psychiatrist about his feelings.

Of course, Muslim groups like CAIR are happy – they demanded NPR take action.  Their representative said the “right-wing” Williams was not a “good fit” for “liberal” NPR.

But there are some moderate Muslims who understand the wrong that was committed here and are speaking out

There’s strong support for Williams across the board.  Whoopi Goldberg said the firing was “ridiculous.”

And, in an unusual show of support for Williams, the Washington Post (a former employer of Williams) correctly concludes that Williams “was attempting to do exactly what a responsible commentator should do: speak honestly without being inflammatory. His reward was to lose his job. . . .”

Not only is this move wrong, it reflects the imbalance that NPR has been projecting for years.  They are not a mainstream news organization.  And, while they proclaim to provide intellectual news coverage and analysis, there’s no shortage of outrageous statements made by NPR staffers and journalists over the years – statements that did not result in firings.

And now it is becoming clearer – that NPR was really looking for the final straw – to fire a well-respected and talented journalist because of his continuing appearances on FOX News.  Even the NPR ombudsman admits that the relationship with FOX has caused “heartburn” for years at NPR.

In the wake of this highly-publicized firing, an important question is being asked.  Why does NPR continue to receive federal taxpayer funds?  An organization that receives big dollars from the Left.

On the day it fired Juan Williams, NPR announced that it has accepted a multi-million dollar grant from billionaire and one of the post powerful funding sources of the Left – George Soros - money to be spent on hiring NPR reporters. I imagine those reporters whose salaries will be paid by Soros will have all the freedom they want to do their jobs – as long as it doesn’t involve criticizing the Left.

There are reports that more than $400 million dollars a year in federal taxpayer funds goes to the Corporation for Public Broadcasting which provides funding to NPR.  It’s time for Congress to put an end to financing this organization and its liberal agenda.  Rep. Peter King (R-NY) says “Congress becomes an accessory if we continue to fund NPR in any way.”  And, Sen. Jim DeMint (R-SC) is planning on introducing legislation to defund NPR.

That’s not only appropriate, but necessary.

Williams is now coming forward and calling for the defunding of NPR himself.    “If they want to compete in the marketplace, they should compete in the marketplace,” Williams said on a FOX news show. “They don’t need public funds. I think that they should go out there. They think their product is so great, go out and sell the product.”

I agree.

To subscribe to “Lynn v. Sekulow” click here.

60srad

posted October 22, 2010 at 3:18 pm

Faux “News” “journalists” are expected to reflect the moronic beliefs of their listener base, but responsible journalists owe it to us not to stir up and aggravate existing irrationality, rather to lend sanity to the topic, if anything. Ideally, a true journalist will report the facts and nothing more. The firing reflected the higher standards NPR holds in comparison to Fox, despite the influence of money from ExxonMobil, GE, and Archer Daniels Midland.

PeterN

posted October 22, 2010 at 3:24 pm

Jay
Juan Williams fears and employment history as well as NPR’s funding has nothing to do with the influence that theocrats try to impose on our government. DeMint is an idiot. NPR’s funding base if from private sources with some minor funding from applying for government grants, etc.
Oh by the way, I quit listening to NPR because it is too conservative for my tastes. Studies showed they had way too many Republicans on as guests as compared to Democrats over the past decade.

Catherine

posted October 22, 2010 at 3:30 pm

Looks like there is only freedom of speech for a select few these days.
It’s insane that Williams was fired for merely making a statement of concern; his own personal feelings. I get nervous driving in certain areas of Boston, or E. St. Louis. Does a fleeting thought or feeling make me a racist, or am I merely just executing caution, and living in reality not wanting to get lost driving through a low-income, high crime infected area????
Ridiculous.
(side note) to Mr. Incredible–remember what I projected a couple months ago about Max Hall-QB AZ Cardinals??!!??

Ibrahim Syed

posted October 22, 2010 at 4:49 pm

Your quote of Juan’s words excludes the bit where he agreed with Bill’s statements on The View, in which Bill justified his position against the Park51 “mosque” citing “Muslims did 911″. It’s in that context that Juan then said he feared Muslims “wearing Muslim garb”. Juan Williams has early clearly stated he objects to this mosque because of such sentiment.
I wonder if Juan considers the fact that more Muslims are afraid of people who look like him. Check out the crime statistics, there are many more black criminals engaging in robberies, rapes and homocides than there are Muslims engaging in terrorism. Muslim cab drivers and store keepers are far more likely to be robbed by a black man than is a black man to be harmed by a Muslim terrorist.
So I wonder how Juan Williams would respond to me saying “when I see a black man walking around my block, in black urban clothing, I get nervous. A black man who puts his blackness above being an American makes me concerned”. And what if I further said out of sensitivity to my feelings, people with black skin should consider my feelings and not live or visit places where I might see them?

nnmns

posted October 22, 2010 at 5:04 pm

“Losing your job for being honest – for expressing a feeling – a thought.”
Suppose you say “I get worried when I see a Jew in a yarmulka because of all the crimes they commit against the Palestinians?” Think anyone could keep his job in the news after honestly saying that?
What about Helen Thomas who made an honest statement about her beliefs and everyone jumped on her. Where were you then, Jay?
Hypocrisy, thy name is Conservative!

Your Name

posted October 22, 2010 at 6:31 pm

Conservative is not hypocrisy…
The hypocrisy comes into play when the conservative leaders who claim to be for equal rights and this or that , when push comes to shove they walk away,,, and hide themselves behind close doors… and say they care but do nothing…..
And yes I expessed a lot of my thoughts, beliefs, and what concerned me about society…. and what did I get a bunch of angry people who could look themselves in the mirror,,, or the people who had the same hang-ups as you or I and claimed they did not….
Or the people the judged me by how I drove me car, or what I wore that day, despite what was being done to me…. or the people who got hung up on a spelling mistake here or there when all I was doing was typing real fast to get the facts out before the election as to what they were going to do with Embryonic Stem-
cell and the like…. and they did…
And you got all caught up in your degrees and the like , thinking that was my concern when I needed a job and a place for my children…
So I am not impressed by your chair , your title or your position to which you hold to get your point across…. I was trying to save lives…. and I still do…
For you still are not protecting our Posterity to which our Constitution states… we are to protect…. you do what you want , when you want to and then try and get a lot of advertisement ideas from me…. when I don’t even have enough gas money to see my kids after what happened in court…. and what do I think of you…..?
Well, let me just say I don’t think your fancy house, car, or your mouth piece are of any news in the area of admiration to me….cc
p.s. I think your not a person to rely on…..,,,, for what were you really there for….. you had strings attached to everything… and what did a person have to perform to get a job from you,,,, eh…?

Your Name

posted October 22, 2010 at 6:39 pm

that………………………………………..dumb……huh………..well , well, well….. at least I didn’t turn out to be a whore, like the others… who filled that job description….huh….. no can do, you can go get yourself a pretty little doll who will look good in a chair and will do a lot things for your performance…. now….. and that would not be a smart girl,, now would it…. no… That would be a whore….cc

Your Name

posted October 22, 2010 at 6:40 pm

of
Of which I do not want to be a part of…..cc

HG

posted October 22, 2010 at 7:35 pm

Yeah, to me it looks calculated. A deliberate over reaction that gave them a way to do what they wanted to do. Stating an observation about one’s own behavior, without camouflaging it, as Juan Williams did , should not have provided grounds for termination. It’s extreme. They were after him.

Don3845

posted October 22, 2010 at 7:57 pm

The firing of Juan Williams by NPR is indeed a shame. I share his feelings when I get on an airliner and see a Muslim. I spent 20 Honorable years serving the U.S. Air Force as an electronics intelligence professional behind, what was then, the Iron Curtain, we monitored Communist airborne/ground electronics at our listening post. Why? That was our job. Our motto then was, “In God We Trust. Everone else we monitor.” We did not trust the Communists, nor should we trust the Muslims who are taught to hate every non-Muslim.
I just hope and pray that NPR is de-funded from receiving our tax dollars.
Juan will prevail over the two-faced leftists at NPR!

Ibrahim Syed

posted October 22, 2010 at 9:28 pm

Suppose I say I feel nervous every time I see a black man walk on my block wearing black urban garb. By Juan’s reasoning (he was supporting O’Reilly’s anti-mosque views on “The View” all black men should refrain from living in or visiting my neighborhood out of sensitivity towards my feelings. As a statistical fact, there are more black rapists, murderers and burglars than there are Muslim terrorists in America, and they commit crimes every day. I have more to fear from someone who looks like Juan than Juan has to fear from someone who looks like me.

Rich

posted October 22, 2010 at 9:31 pm

Free speech issues have nothing to do with this, an employer is not required to allow you to speak freely. However, I don’t see his comments as meriting termination. I loathe all this political correctness stuff, anytime speech is limited it necessarily limits the exchange of ideas, and it then it is always possible that the idea we all need to hear was prevented from ever being said.
The funny thing here is Jay Sekulow with his typical whining about the limitation of freedoms for Americans. Yeah, right Mr. Sekulow. He who would gladly incarcerate your wife, girlfriend or daughter should she have an abortion. The same guy who would gladly force you to pay money directly out of your pocket to support religious training and institutions that you would never support on your own. Also the same theocrat who would kidnap the microphone at graduation ceremonies across America and require your child to endure some blathering idiot yammer on about Jesus.
Finally, I don’t believe Mr. Sekulow really cares about the freedom of commentators to say anything they happen to believe. I can easily imagine Mr. Sekulow getting on the phone and demanding that the local news channel fire any reporter who ventured an opinion that Jesus was not only not magical but just plain gay.

Catherine

posted October 22, 2010 at 10:53 pm

Rich,
You should keep your inflammatory and bitter comments to yourself. You don’t even know Jay Sekulow, and you have NO clue in what you’re talking about.
You seem like an angry, empty, and cruel person. To me, I don’t feel you really want any “exchange of ideas”. You just want to hurt other people who differ from your opinion. Maybe putting others down makes you feel better about yourself? I’m not sure. I just wonder why you choose to be so hateful?
BTW, if you died tonight in your sleep, where would you go?
Maranatha

nnmns

posted October 22, 2010 at 11:28 pm

BTW, if you died tonight in your sleep, where would you go?
To a morgue. Duh.

Steve

posted October 23, 2010 at 2:03 am

A better question to ask is why does the American Center for Law and Justice continue to be a tax exempt organization.
It spews nothing but vitriolic hate and actively practices discrimination.
While the mission statement of the ACLJ contains text that it is supposed to ‘defend my religious and constitutional freedoms’ – it does no such thing. It only defends the religious freedoms of christians and constitutional issues wherein christians feel threatened.
Jay, when was the last time you took a case involving a Muslim, Hindu, Buddhist, Jaine or member of any other religion? When have you stood up to bullying (remember the clause in the Declaration of Independence about the pursuit of Life, Liberty and Happiness) of Gay and Lesbian youths by christian inspired hate mongers?
I say it’s time for the IRS to open an investigation of the ACLJ (so named by Pat Robertson expressly to cause confusion with the ACLU) and end it’s tax exempt sham.
Jay, if people like you and your sons are going to heaven (didn’t the Jeshua say something about the rich having a difficult time getting into his fathers house), please please please can I go to Hades?
Steve

Don

posted October 23, 2010 at 4:31 am

I think NPR got tired of Williams going on Faux and joining in the mockery of journalism/balanced commentary that they practice over there. It’s an embarassment to any journalistic outlet to have their staff associated with that propaganda arm of the GOP calling itself a network. Not only are they profoundly politically biased, but they practice the worst kind of pandering to fear and anger. They make their money by consistently appealing to the worst side of human nature. It’s disgusting, and disheartening. Anyone associated with that place should be ashamed.

Don

posted October 23, 2010 at 4:42 am

And I’m sorry to say, they are dragging the other networks/shows down into the sewer with them. They consistently take the lead in ever greater pandering to fear, anger and hate, and ever more disgustingly lowbrow/exploitative programs.
It’s not an excuse for the other networks because no one is forcing them to follow suit with programs of their own full of shouting, fearmongering, and exploitation of people willing to debase themselves in ever-more cringeworthy ways. But let’s be clear–Faux is leading the parade that is busily unraveling our social fabric of civility, tolerance, courage, confidence and optimism, and replacing it with paranoia, resentment and pessimism.

becca

posted October 23, 2010 at 7:12 am

One of the best article wriiten about Juan. He is a great guy and NPR has totally lost their marbles and my respect forever…

DSJulian

posted October 23, 2010 at 7:24 am

Tell Juan Williams: I get nervous whenever I see an American in a business suit. They are the only ones who ever actually used a nuclear weapon against an enemy. I already know a Muslim in Muslim garb is going to be scrutinized. But a black man in a suit who will scream bloody murder about racial profiling if you look at him sideways… how soon they forget the terrorism of the Black Nationalists of the previous century. I guess he didn’t have to think too hard about flushing what was left of his journalistic integrity down the toilet for the $2 million raise he got at Faux News…

Robert C

posted October 23, 2010 at 10:22 am

Schiller was obviously racist in her actions.

Rich

posted October 23, 2010 at 12:49 pm

Catherine,
Perhaps it is Catherine who should keep her inane and ridiculous comments based upon a childish superstition to herself.
As for your pathetic psychobabble analysis, you can keep that to yourself or put a sock in it, whatever works for you.
What a freakin’ hypocrite you are, you come out here and whine that I am not ‘playing nice’ and then you label me as “angry, empty, and cruel person”. Do you have any idea how blatantly lame it is to respond to a statement with such drivel. The truth is I do know what I am talking about when it comes to the totalitarian desires of tools like Sekulow. He would jail women who have abortions, he does seek to use public monies to support religious institutions, he does want to force captive audiences to endure some idiot blabbering on about Jesus at graduation ceremonies. So, tell you what, when you can counter the facts with facts, fine. Until then, take a hike.
And finally, stop with this “if you were to die tonight” excrement. Gawd! Just how ignorant are you? Don’t you think atheists have already made their analysis of that non-existent issue? Geez, it is like talking to a brick wall with some of you folks!

y dale

posted October 23, 2010 at 1:56 pm

I sent this to NPR this morning:
I have enjoyed some of your programming in the past, all except the occasional and obvious liberal leaning and political correctness which I put up with since I like to keep an open mind. However, what you did to Juan Williams was the epitomy of intolerance, much like the walk out by the “ladies” on The View with the interview of Bill O’Reilly. I will never listen to your programming again.

nnmns

posted October 23, 2010 at 4:11 pm

I sent NPR a message yesterday congratulating them and pointing out it was way past time he was let go. And I do contribute to a public radio station and will certainly continue to.
I’m encouraged that NPR seems to have made the statement that it won’t allow its on-air staff to make statements about Muslims that would not be allow about Christians, Jews, blacks, etc.
If you think about it, there are a lot of people whose pet ox was gored by that firing; people (companies) who want to demonize Muslims to: win elections, have us fighting Muslim countries to sell arms, make it ok for Israel to continue stealing Palestinian land, and so on.
And, let’s face it, we’ve killed a lot more Muslims than any Muslims have killed Americans. But that’s politically incorrect to point out and you will not hear it on any mainstream news media including, I’m afraid, NPR.

Your Name

posted October 23, 2010 at 4:52 pm

No grounds for termination on my part, just a bit of overuling diagnosed behaviorism of, they didn’t want to dish out the cash and give somebody their maturnity leave…
And besides that a competative daughter who didn’t give a damn what was happening to me…
And that is atheism… for you… So the name, status, or reputation to not impress me one bit… it is the action of which one governs themselves… and the ability to see the flaws in others not as something that is imperfect, but someone to love anyway with all this and that….

Another Blog To Enjoy!!!
Thank you for visiting LynnvSekulow. This blog is no longer being updated. Please enjoy the archives. Here is another blog you may also enjoy: Jay Sekulow: Faith and Justice  Happy Reading!

posted 11:26:38am Aug. 16, 2012 | read full post »

Another blog to enjoy!!!
Thank you for visiting Lynn V. Sekulow. This blog is no longer being updated. Please enjoy the archives. Here is another blog you may also enjoy: Jay Sekulow's Faith and Justice Happy Reading!!!

posted 10:36:04am Jul. 06, 2012 | read full post »

More to Come
Barry,   It's hard to believe that we've been debating these constitutional issues for more than two years now in this space.  I have tremendous respect for you and wish you all the best in your new endeavors.   My friend, I'm sure we will continue to square off in other forums - on n

posted 4:52:22pm Dec. 02, 2010 | read full post »

Thanks for the Memories
Well Jay, the time has come for me to say goodbye. Note to people who are really happy about this: I'm not leaving the planet, just this blog.As I noted in a personal email, after much thought, I have decided to end my participation and contribution to Lynn v. Sekulow and will be doing some blogging

posted 12:24:43pm Nov. 21, 2010 | read full post »

President Obama: Does He Get It?
Barry,   I would not use that label to identify the President.  I will say, however, that President Obama continues to embrace and promote pro-abortion policies that many Americans strongly disagree with.   Take the outcome of the election - an unmistakable repudiation of the Preside

posted 11:46:49am Nov. 05, 2010 | read full post »