Lynn v. Sekulow

Lynn v. Sekulow

Adopt Me–But Don’t Expect Me To Rake Leaves

posted by Rev. Barry W. Lynn

In a shift in right-wing “prayer” policy, the Liberty Counsel is now urging supporters to “adopt” a “liberal” and pray for that person to change his or her political and moral beliefs. The campaign allows people to “adopt” one of 11 named “liberals” or anybody else who might be a “liberal.” See below:

adopt-Barry-screenshot.jpg

I was delighted to see that I was the only non-government official offered up for adoption.  I am right in line with President Obama, House Speaker Nancy Pelosi, and (I’ll admit this is my favorite) Arnold Schwarzenneger.

As some of you know, I have been the target of several “imprecatory prayer” campaigns recently, where Pastor Wiley Drake and former chaplain Gordon James Klingenschmitt have been praying for my death.  The new approach seems a lot more civil.

I did receive one e-mail indicating that the sender would be happy to
“adopt” me if I would do chores. Sorry about that, but that is a
non-starter.  I am not raking leaves; I am not taking out the garbage.
I have enough of that to do where I live now.  Please also note that I
do stay up late and I will not live with cats.

In another note, Christian Broadcasting Network White House Correspondent David Brody also made a reference
to me today.  He was reporting that the phrase “In God We Trust” has
been chiseled into the new U.S. Capitol Visitor Center over the objection
of civil libertarians. He posted a photograph of what the new engraving
looks like and then he joked that the Congressional Prayer Caucus
originally would have preferred an engraving that looked like this
picture:

Barry Blog pic.gif

Brody followed that up with, “C’mon just a joke! A little Evangelical humor! Yes we actually have a sense of humor. Barry Lynn is probably not laughing.”

Actually, David’s report gave me quite the chortle.

But seriously, is there anybody out there who honestly believes any
of America’s political leaders will be better people because of this
new engraving?  Write me if you do, but forgive me if I chuckle.

To subscribe to “Lynn v. Sekulow” click here.

James

posted October 2, 2009 at 2:08 pm

Clearly anyone who ‘prays’ for the death of anyone is not abiding in the teachings of Jesus to “love your neighbors” and even “love your enemies”. Period.
I’m very sorry that our president and Mr. Lynn (and anyone else for that matter) would be the target of these clearly “unChristian” death prayers.

DSJulian

posted October 3, 2009 at 6:44 am

I suggest that all of us liberal Christians submit our own names for adoption, that is, when the link at the bottom of the poster actually works. I submitted my name along with a photo and short bio but it bounced with an out-of-office autoresponder message.
Apparently Liberty University’s Law School graduates are not told about the Templeton power of prayer study http://www.nytimes.com/2006/03/31/health/31pray.html clearly indicating that intercessory prayers go unheeded.
God will direct everyone on the list to do His will no matter what these pseudo-Christians “pray” for…

James

posted October 3, 2009 at 12:48 pm

Could you please define (in detail) what a ‘liberal Christian’ is? I’m very curious to know. Thanks.

Your Name

posted October 3, 2009 at 2:23 pm

It is up to you to seek his will. He doesn’t beat you over the head with it. He guides you when you seek him, not when you so profess to deny him in such a degrading way consistant with an athiest or and agnostic. Whatever that is, by your definition.
It is a biblical truth that you write blogs constant with persecuting Christians for their own beliefs. I understand that not everybody who professes to be a Christian, acts like a Christian or is constant with biblical beliefs, why this would be confusing for non-believers to inherit as their belief system. That is why I have studied it myself. Yes I have heard numerous preachers. Not all preachers constantly preach the Word of God. I always compare it back to the original text.
Yes, even preachers fall from time to time. They do have the flesh to deal with. Which is difficult to do with so much worldly perspective on just about everything and everyone. One thing I know despite what you exsperience through other people Christian or not, God still loves you and wants the best for you. It is hard when it is your own family members making up lies about you which are not constant with the Word and say your not telling the truth. The truth for them sometimes is what they feel comfortable with believing as truth. As long as they don’t have to give anything of their own up, for that would be giving. Clearly not all professed Christians are givers. It is interesting to note that, that view would be inconstant with being a Christian. We are to give and help, not condemn and critisize. Love others despite their flaws and do the best be can with what we have been given.
Seek fellow believers out who are consistant with the Word.. Not the people yackedy yackedy gossipping on the phone to others things which are clearly lies and scewed perspectives inconstant with biblical understanding and scripture.
God Bless,
Teah

Mr. Incredible

posted October 3, 2009 at 3:27 pm

James
October 2, 2009 2:08 PM
——————————————————————–
What, biblically, is “love”?
What, biblically, does it mean to “love” my enemy? My neighbor?
When Jesus walked the Earth, He loved everybody. Yet, He treated different people differently. He separated the goats from the sheep. He treated His disciples differently than He treated the Pharisees. And, yet, He treated both the same. How did He treat them the same way?

Mr. Incredible

posted October 3, 2009 at 3:38 pm

James
October 3, 2009 12:48 PM
…define (in detail) what a ‘liberal Christian’ is?
——————————————————————–
A “Liberal Christian” is one who honors Christ with his lips, but not with his heart — that is, although he won’t admit this, he believes that God, through Christ, is a standby, that Man must do for himself and that it is his own might that creates. He calls his own creation “Godly.” He is led by his own intuition, intelligence, logic and reason, telling us that they are creations of God for us to go our own way, even though God tells us to go His Way.
This is why they seem to be in misery all the time and wanna communicate that misery to everybody else. Man is imperfect in unrighteousness, and, to them, imperfection leads to endless mistakes, and, to them, endless mistakes leads to guilt and condemnation. They want the rest of us to feel condemned, too.
So, a “Liberal Christian” takes liberties with God’s Word.

Your Name

posted October 7, 2009 at 4:52 pm

My understanding is that this post from the Liberty Counsel isn’t calling for imprecatory prayers – but rather that people pray for the named liberals to “see the light”. Less death and destruction, more persuasion and mind control. Which is worse, I’ll leave up to you to decide.
As to the “Christian-ness” of imprecatory prayers – that all depends on what part of the bible you’re reading and what you interpret it to mean. Some parts say to turn the other cheek and love your brother, while others call for vengeance and to smite the enemies of God. You can justify nearly any kind of action by quoting the appropriate phrase of the Good Book… as evidenced by the pastors who are praying for harm to Rev. Lynn. They say that they are just asking for God to do his justice to an enemy.
Personally, I wish more people would refer to the “love thy neighbor” passage than the “smite thine enemy” one.

clayton nachreiner

posted October 18, 2009 at 6:51 pm

In my life I have noticed that when most people are in a state of crisis (Like facing serious health issues,death,death of a loved one, fighting for their lives in war)that they will ask god for help. If people really did not believe in god Why would they do this? Think about it.

George Tharisayi

posted September 11, 2010 at 6:08 pm

ISLAM IS NOT A RELIGION. THE KORAN, HADITH AND OTHER PRACTICES HAVE MADE IT INTO A MILITARY AND TERRORIST DOCTRINE.
The teaching of Islam is not consistent with the American Constitution. Therefore it must be tested in the US Courts, to see if it is a religion or just a terror organization, where God is used for convenience and indoctrination.

Another Blog To Enjoy!!!
Thank you for visiting LynnvSekulow. This blog is no longer being updated. Please enjoy the archives. Here is another blog you may also enjoy: Jay Sekulow: Faith and Justice  Happy Reading!

posted 11:26:38am Aug. 16, 2012 | read full post »

Another blog to enjoy!!!
Thank you for visiting Lynn V. Sekulow. This blog is no longer being updated. Please enjoy the archives. Here is another blog you may also enjoy: Jay Sekulow's Faith and Justice Happy Reading!!!

posted 10:36:04am Jul. 06, 2012 | read full post »

More to Come
Barry,   It's hard to believe that we've been debating these constitutional issues for more than two years now in this space.  I have tremendous respect for you and wish you all the best in your new endeavors.   My friend, I'm sure we will continue to square off in other forums - on n

posted 4:52:22pm Dec. 02, 2010 | read full post »

Thanks for the Memories
Well Jay, the time has come for me to say goodbye. Note to people who are really happy about this: I'm not leaving the planet, just this blog.As I noted in a personal email, after much thought, I have decided to end my participation and contribution to Lynn v. Sekulow and will be doing some blogging

posted 12:24:43pm Nov. 21, 2010 | read full post »

President Obama: Does He Get It?
Barry,   I would not use that label to identify the President.  I will say, however, that President Obama continues to embrace and promote pro-abortion policies that many Americans strongly disagree with.   Take the outcome of the election - an unmistakable repudiation of the Preside

posted 11:46:49am Nov. 05, 2010 | read full post »