Lynn v. Sekulow

Lynn v. Sekulow

Iran: Bad Actors But US Has Limits

posted by Rev. Barry W. Lynn

Of course, Jay, the treatment of religious and political dissidents in Iran is contrary to civilized standards of justice.  It is fine that President Obama has publicly rejected any “apology” for his condemnation of the government.  It is appropriate that Iranian diplomats have been “uninvited” to Fourth of July celebrations at US embassies around the world.  But now what?

I am always bemused by conservatives who howl in outrage but then never actually tell us what we should do. I trust you are not in favor of a pre-emptive strike against Iran.  So, then, what measures do you recommend, specifically?

It is also curious that some conservatives have completely lost all recall of the United States involvement with the Shah, unpopular in Iran but propped up by US conduct. Nor do they remember the embarrassing fiascos of U.S. “creation” of other nation’s “leaders” (exemplified so well in this parody).

kenneth

posted June 26, 2009 at 6:35 pm

Not only has heavy-handed manipulation and pre-emptive war failed to ever serve our long-term ends, but we can’t afford another war even if we wanted it. Our nation can’t afford to fight a bar brawl right now let alone a war that would be MUCH worse than Iraq. Our government is 100 percent dependent on the good will and credit of China right now, and they are beginning to have serious doubts about our credit rating. We are delusional if we think they are going to give out another two or three trillion dollars to fight another foolish war. We would be staring at $12 a gallon gas prices and 30 percent unemployment within a year of launching such a foolish venture.

Boris

posted June 27, 2009 at 2:20 am

N. Lindzee Lindholm

posted June 27, 2009 at 3:05 am

Hi Rev. Barry,
Dr. Jay already suggested signing the ACLJ’s petition of solidarity to the UN against Iran’s human rights abuses, or did you miss that in the post?
The US needs to work together with other countries who are not in favor of human rights abuses towards its citizens which includes putting pressure on the UN to take action rather than just providing mere lip service. You know the old adage: Sticks and stone may break my bones but words don’t hurt a thing.
We need, figuratively speaking, “sticks and stones” as quickly as possible since literal sticks and stones are inhumanely being used, as we speak, by the Iranian police and Basij on protesters.

Goldman Fedrep

posted June 28, 2009 at 12:14 am

Yes, the U.S. is working behind the scenes to enlist the help of U.N. members to punish Iran for the violent suppression of its citizenry. Signing petitions and issuing strongly worded condemnations aren’t going to change things in Iran, or the fact that the world is filled with governments which act in the interest of an elite, powerful group of people. In fact, count ours among them.

Your Name

posted June 28, 2009 at 2:52 am

It has been less than five months since the scales have started
to fall off my eyes. No, I am not keeping up as fast as some would like. Whenever I can get away from my present environment, I am willing to go through as much therapy as it takes to get better.
Even my psychiatrist right now will not discuss present circumstances.
I want to admit that I am powerless, and have admitted I am powerless over it all.
Noone will answer any of my questions directly, and I can’t see my best friend of all time to ask them. So I just concentrate on paperwork and stuff until I can have it explained to me. It feels like the whole world knows what this is all about, and I am just considered dumb because I can’t figure out from clues given me.
I don’t go out because I don’t know if I am allowed. I’m told to be careful, and then fussed at when I venture out.
I would give my right arm to just be with my best friend and have them explain things to me. I have never felt so loved.
I have never felt so unloved by my family, though. I’m willing to give up my family for my best friend. So confused, aren’t I???

Mary-Lee

posted June 28, 2009 at 11:32 am

I agree, Goldman. Petitions in this case simply let people feel that they have done something to help out. Then, having done something, they go on about their business and forget.
Sometimes, the best course of action is to wait, stay focused, and remember.

Cara Floyd

posted June 28, 2009 at 6:24 pm

I am sorry no name that you are going through such a tough time. Love to you. You will see your best friend again hopefully.
———
Farah , loving mother, great actress, freind, true genuine person who would have given her all to others even when she was going through so much difficulty. I greatly admired her talent and watched her through the years. She was the best angel.
Cara

Nicholas

posted June 29, 2009 at 10:46 am

Ed McMahon must be feeling left out right about now.

Craig

posted June 29, 2009 at 2:27 pm

Boris said
“The world wouldn’t hate us if we didn’t support such an evil nation as Israel and its policy of apartheid. ”
This is pure nonsense. There is nothing like apartheid in Israel. When Israel was created in 1948 from the British governed territory of Palestine, two entities were created. It was a partition. Immediately the non-Jewish partitions and all the neighbors attacked Israel figuring they could just wipe it off the face of the Earth. They lost that battle and all the subsequent battles. If they had not, there would be a Palestinian state today.
Arabs in Israel have significantly more rights than Jews in any of the Arab states or Iran. In fact, Israel as a Jewish state may be only a memory in the future because of the free elections in which non-Jews are given equal rights. This doesn’t happen in any of Israel’s neighbors.
The so-called Palestinians are refugees because the Arab states in the region find it beneficial to keep them as such from which to recruit terrorists.
Someone once said something to the effect that if you disarmed all of the Arab states in the Middle East, there would be peace, but if you disarmed Israel it would no longer exist. This is still true. Israel has its faults, including allowing settlements on land on which they could create a Palestinian nation. But Israel is still one of the most democratic nations in the world, with more rights for all of their citizens than any of their neighbors, and more than most countries.
You may be correct that certain religious zealots do hate America for its support of Israel, but that is based on antisemitism and not on an apartheid that may exist on the part of Israel.

Boris

posted June 29, 2009 at 10:58 pm

The excuse the Jewish people have always used to squat on that land in Palestine is that God gave to them. That kind of thinking is very dangerous and the reason the Jewish people have not negotiated faithfully over the years. This is the reason of course that the Palestinians will no longer negotiate with Israel. They’ve been burned to many times. The hypocrisy of the claim that this land is divinely ordained is that the majority of the population and its leaders no longer believe in the God they claim gave them the land.

Your Name

posted July 3, 2009 at 7:48 pm

Friends what are they?
Do people just care about money?
Where are they when you need them? Do they call? Do they write?

Another Blog To Enjoy!!!
Thank you for visiting LynnvSekulow. This blog is no longer being updated. Please enjoy the archives. Here is another blog you may also enjoy: Jay Sekulow: Faith and Justice  Happy Reading!

posted 11:26:38am Aug. 16, 2012 | read full post »

Another blog to enjoy!!!
Thank you for visiting Lynn V. Sekulow. This blog is no longer being updated. Please enjoy the archives. Here is another blog you may also enjoy: Jay Sekulow's Faith and Justice Happy Reading!!!

posted 10:36:04am Jul. 06, 2012 | read full post »

More to Come
Barry,   It's hard to believe that we've been debating these constitutional issues for more than two years now in this space.  I have tremendous respect for you and wish you all the best in your new endeavors.   My friend, I'm sure we will continue to square off in other forums - on n

posted 4:52:22pm Dec. 02, 2010 | read full post »

Thanks for the Memories
Well Jay, the time has come for me to say goodbye. Note to people who are really happy about this: I'm not leaving the planet, just this blog.As I noted in a personal email, after much thought, I have decided to end my participation and contribution to Lynn v. Sekulow and will be doing some blogging

posted 12:24:43pm Nov. 21, 2010 | read full post »

President Obama: Does He Get It?
Barry,   I would not use that label to identify the President.  I will say, however, that President Obama continues to embrace and promote pro-abortion policies that many Americans strongly disagree with.   Take the outcome of the election - an unmistakable repudiation of the Preside

posted 11:46:49am Nov. 05, 2010 | read full post »