Here are five reasons why the interior work of remembering yourself should always come first:
1. An unattended mind is the breeding ground of self-defeat.
2. The temptation to be self-degrading can only be dropped by seeing the secret self-love in it. (Then, instead of looking down on yourself, you can begin to learn what it means — and what it costs — to look up and away from this false sense of self.)
3. Conscious efforts are always rewarded with increased consciousness.
4. Despite temporary manifestations, manipulated for the sake of appearances, you can’t treat any other human being any differently from the way you treat yourself.
5. Wasted energies are the same as lost opportunities.