Kingdom of Priests

Kingdom of Priests

Obama Circumcised? How Dare the “Birthers” Ask!

posted by David Klinghoffer

Now those crazed “birthers” are demanding to know if President Obama is circumcised, by way of establishing his country of origin! Can you believe the chutzpah? The excellent Tablet web magazine points this out. What sane and decent American would ever raise such an inappropriate question? (Note the date of the preceding link.)

Charles Cosimano

posted August 26, 2009 at 3:52 pm

They have even less shame than they have decency and even less decency than they have brains.

Turmarion

posted August 26, 2009 at 8:40 pm

I didn’t comment on this the first time around, because I didn’t see that I had anything to say on it, but let me point out the following:
1. Even if Obama was circumcised at birth, my understanding of Orthodox Judaism is that this would still not count as a bris, so he’d still be ineligible to participate in a seder.
2. I know from acquaintances that it has become common in many cities for liberal Christian parishes to partner with liberal Jewish Reform Temples to have seders around Passover. The Christians see it as getting in touch with their Jewish antecedents, and the Jews don’t make much issue about who’s circumcised and who isn’t. In short, such seders, though common, would almost certainly violate Orthodox criteria.
3. Given this, I assume that this is something along the line of what Obama was doing. It was probably done in good faith on his part, with no intent to offend (certainly, as far as I know none of the Jews present raised an issue with it). I actually agree with you that it wasn’t the best idea in the world–it sends confusing signals–but my point is that such muddled practices are quite common, from my understanding.
4. Given that plenty of adequate evidence has been put forth, the Birthers are just beating a crazed, conspiracy theory of a horse.
5. In any case, as a Gentile born a couple of years after Obama, in Appalachia, who was circumcised at birth, I can attest that whether or not Obama is circumcised would prove nothing about where he was born.
6. Outside of the religious issue at a seder, whether Obama is circumcised or not is, not to put too fine a point on it, nobody else’s damn business.
So can we move on now?

Gabriel Hanna

posted August 26, 2009 at 9:36 pm

I was circumcised, born much later than Obama and Turmarion (1976). I think almost all Americans of my generation were. In the high school locker room you could tell right away who was born in Mexico.
The birthers need to understand that no magic spell is going to make Barack Obama go away. You need to address his ideas and policies if you want him to not be President any more.
When the Constitution was written there was no such thing as birth certificates anyway. People wrote down births and deaths in the family Bible.
Seriously, do we want courts inventing some kind of standard to decide who is really born in America and who isn’t? They’d have to, there is no Constitutional test.
Congress might have the power to make a law about this but it’s not clear to me that they do.

jestrfyl

posted August 26, 2009 at 11:01 pm

Further proof they are I*D*I*O*T*S!!!!

Your Name

posted August 27, 2009 at 11:16 am

Why would they want to know such a thing? I wonder if it has anything to do with the fact that Muslim men are circumsized.
I am sure that they aren’t trying to imply that he is Jewish.
I don’t know about Hawaii, but circumcision is common here in the USA. It was even more common when he was born, than it is now.

Dennis

posted August 27, 2009 at 2:27 pm

Do Republicans even realize how harmful this sort of non-sense is to their party? They express a mindless tribalism that is not in the best interest of our country. No wonder that people are so turned off to politicians.

Burt

posted August 27, 2009 at 8:00 pm

There is an outside possibility that he may be a “cut above the rest!!” Think about it !!

Mergatroid

posted August 28, 2009 at 8:31 am

Dennis asked “Do Republicans even realize how harmful this sort of non-sense is to their party?”
Nope, not a one.
Just kidding. If you go to the decidedly republican, and popular, sites Hotair and Littlegreenfootballs, they denounce the birthers very strongly.
Now, whether the viewers and readers of these sites actually do anything (or /can/ do anything) about it, that’s another story.

Moi

posted August 30, 2009 at 9:21 pm

“I don’t know about Hawaii, but circumcision is common here in the USA. It was even more common when he was born, than it is now”
Hawaii became one of the United States in 1959. Oy vey.