J Walking

J Walking

I miss J-Walking

posted by David Kuo

For the past year I’ve been working with friends to help them put together a new website. It is called Culture11.com and it is a good place to go. I encourage you to make it part of your browsing. But it is a site that is more clinical than personal – a site of the mind, not of the heart. That is good and needed and necessary. But it doesn’t give me a chance to speak to the stuff that matters – the eternal stuff, the stuff of the God.
And so, though I am CEO of the other site, I return to writing here because I have missed it and the community it once was.
It may well be that I am writing into a reader-less blog at this point. We’ll soon see I suppose. If that is the case then I maybe a new community will eventually form.
A friend wrote to me today, a very conservative friend, and asked if we were going to be alright after the election. I wrote something last night that is what I still think today. I wrote that all Americans should be proud at this moment. A nation that was conceived without recognizing African-Americans as people has now elected a black president. That should make everyone proud.
The thing I didn’t write last night but wanted to say today is this – he is just the president. That’s it. Nothing more, nothing less. He isn’t pope. He isn’t a priest or a pastor. He is our bureaucrat-in-chief. He is a part of our country, he isn’t our country.
These are distinctions with significant differences. The state of our country will not be determined by our president. It will be determined by each of us.
So are we ok? Let’s look in the mirror.

Michael Webster

posted November 6, 2008 at 1:18 pm

There is at least one reader still here.
I think that the election results voice many things about the current state and mood of our country. The racial milestone is (rightly) overshadowing those things.
I’m glad you’ve missed writing here. I’ve missed your writing and look forward to its return.

pagansister

posted November 6, 2008 at 1:35 pm

Welcome back….looking forward to your comments…

Glynn

posted November 6, 2008 at 2:11 pm

Welcome back, David — you still have readers (and I’ve been reading Culture11 as well).
I didn’t vote for our President-Elect — but he is our President-Elect (emphasis on “our”), and he needs our prayers to govern wisely and well.
Glad to see you writing again.

Jeff Kuhn

posted November 6, 2008 at 2:35 pm

I’m glad you’re back and couldn’t agree with your post more. Thanks for helping all of us to maintain clarity in regards to faith and politics.

Patton Dodd

posted November 6, 2008 at 2:36 pm

Yay, David. Glad to see you dusting off ye ole web log.

susan

posted November 6, 2008 at 2:57 pm

Glad to see you back. You hit it spot on!

Phil

posted November 6, 2008 at 3:51 pm

This may very well be a groundbreaking election for a number of reasons. One of the things that jumped out at me is a situation in the office of my current employer – of which all are Christians. The younger guys really didn’t tend to subscribe to the notion that the Republicans were the party of God, while the older folks in the office still tended to subscribe to the Republican=God worldview. It was actually very refreshing to see the younger guys debate the political issues with a clear understanding between the responsibility of the government to the nation, and the responsibility of the relationship of God to the individual. Obama hasn’t even taken office yet, so we cannot judge his presidency through the haze of campaign rhetoric, and he is deserving of the opportunity to prove himself. The younger guys seem to have figured this out, so it does give me hope that we are not doomed at all.
Welcome back, David
Phil

Ulysses

posted November 6, 2008 at 7:46 pm

I’ve tried culture11.com, but honestly, it made me feel like I was too deep in conservative-land, and I didn’t feel welcome or comfortable. So I stopped reading.

Doug

posted November 6, 2008 at 8:05 pm

Yeah, welcome back, Brer Kuo. You’ve been missed.

Friar_Tuck

posted November 7, 2008 at 1:57 am

Good to see you back. I was wondering if you were having health issues or something.
I agree with you about a president just being president. But it is still a very inspiring moment to see Obama entering office.

Janet

posted November 7, 2008 at 10:55 am

I’m so glad you’re back. I’ve been reading Culture 11, but have missed your personal reflections. Looking forward to reading more.

Lynne

posted November 8, 2008 at 10:34 am

So glad you’re back. I visited culture11 a few times, but didn’t find it as compelling, being more of an adherent to what one might call “disorganized religion”. Looking forward to your continuing thoughtful conversation here.

Josh

posted November 9, 2008 at 7:54 pm

I’m still reading. Glad you are writing here again. After seeing your post on the the Celebration of Discipline, I picked it up again after 15 years. Thanks for the reminder. Keep writing here and keep up the good work on Culture11.

Tersan Agos

posted November 13, 2008 at 10:23 pm

Not a readerless blog. It’s a blog I bookmarked for a reason.

Laura

posted May 26, 2009 at 10:45 pm

I missed you too. I’m not of the same faith (not hardly) and we haven’t voted for the same people (at least in a couple of elections) but I have gained an affinity for you reading your book and your blog. I really like you. So, I hope you are around and blogging for awhile.