J Walking

J Walking

The best book (one of them)

posted by David Kuo

Two nights ago, in the midst of a grumpy, grouchy late night kitchen cleaning session during which I bemoaning everything from the state of the free world to who ridiculously dirty our dirty dishes get I said the simplest little prayer. “Jesus. Help.”
I didn’t much want to pray. I didn’t much feel like it. I just did.
I was still grumpy. Just slightly – very slightly – less so.
Then, after finishing the dishes I picked up Richard Foster’s Celebration of Discipline.
I flipped to the chapter on submission.
The very short version? Surrender to God, realize my ‘rights’ aren’t really rights at all, give up trying to run or control other people, be free.
That was a lousy paraphrase. Buy the book, read the real version. Surrender to the Force.

linda

posted September 3, 2008 at 8:26 am

i read that book twice- i really enjoyed it -the chapter on simplity is the hardest one of all!

Doug

posted September 3, 2008 at 9:43 am

Resistance is futile?

Friar_Tuck

posted September 3, 2008 at 2:16 pm

Good book. Deserves to be read and reread

canucklehead

posted September 6, 2008 at 8:47 pm

Dave, please post something about Sarah Palin. Absolutely nobody is talking about her online.

canucklehead

posted September 7, 2008 at 5:30 pm

hey Dave, I came across this below on God’s Politics today – wise words I think…
———————————–
McCain has hired those who worked for Rove to help him get elected, and Palin’s appointment is just a way to pander to Christians. I think Christians should know exactly what Rove’s cronies think of us. Ever read “Tempting Faith”? It’s author, David Kuo, served as special assistant to the president from 2001 to 2003. A self-described conservative Christian, Kuo’s previous experience includes work for prominent conservatives including former Education Secretary and federal drug czar Bill Bennett and former Attorney General John Ashcroft.
He says some of the nation’s most prominent evangelical leaders were known in the office of presidential political strategist Karl Rove as “the nuts.”
“National Christian leaders received hugs and smiles in person and then were dismissed behind their backs and described as ‘ridiculous,’ ‘out of control,’ and just plain ‘goofy,’” Kuo writes.
Republicans controlled Congrees from 2000-2007, and could have fostered a Christan agenda if they wanted. Did we see legislation to ban abortion? No. Did you see anything except the furtherance of business interests? No. Instead, we have record deficits, a war entered in to on false pretenses, and the greatest income inequality since the Great Depression.
McCain is no change agent, and Palin is being used. The Republicans are using us to stay in power, and will do nothing to foster a policy that serves religion or the people of this country. God has given us love, power and a sound mind. We must use those minds and not fall for being manipulated by the Republicans again.
Posted by: Hoping For the Best | September 7, 2008 3:21 PM

Jeff Goins

posted September 10, 2008 at 3:05 pm

Foster’s great. Thanks for sharing.

Jack

posted September 10, 2008 at 9:46 pm

Foster has been a hero for years! My copy is about worn out!

roberthastch@yahoo.com

posted September 11, 2008 at 11:52 am

j walking has something to do with jesus walking in the right path when every body is sinning right .

Anonymous

posted September 12, 2008 at 1:09 pm

Dave Kuo for mayor of Here We Go A’ Wassailing, Alaska!!!!

canucklehead

posted September 12, 2008 at 1:13 pm

doh! twas moi

macie

posted September 12, 2008 at 6:41 pm

Thanks for the idea of such a simple prayer . . . and it was answered.
I’ve felt in such a way that it was all i could do to pray.

janet

posted September 15, 2008 at 1:18 pm

Thanks for reminding me that this life changing book is on my night-stand. I will pick it up tonight.

El Caballo de Sangre

posted September 16, 2008 at 11:05 am

So Jesus didn’t help you with the dishes, David? Apparently – to hear you tell it – he just decided to take away a tiny bit of your grumpiness and leave you with the greater part of it, as well as your scut-work.
I’ve gotta say this: the power of your savior is truly beyond comprehension.

Kuhnel

posted September 27, 2008 at 9:17 pm

David,
The power of our Saviour is truly beyond comprehension (coming from the horse’s mouth.)
Our daily lives are filled with moments of simple realizations that point us to the One who made us and communes with us.
He uses the the most foolish situations to make us more like Him.
“For the word of the cross is to those who are perishing foolishness, but to us who are being saved it is the power of God…the world through its wisdom did not come to know God, God was well-pleased through the foolishness of the message preached to save those who believe.” I Corintians 2:18, 29
“But a natural man does not accept the things of the Spirit of God; for they are foolishness to him, and he cannot understand them, because they are spiritually appraised.” I Corinthians 2:14
Happy dishwashing!

Liti Demane

posted September 27, 2008 at 9:44 pm

Hi ,I stumbled upon your blog tonight .I have been a belief net member for years.Your frustration and grumpiness seemed all too familiar to me.I am a practicing Catholic,though I feel as though I havn’t been very focused lately. I have a new job which is exhausting,and I havn’t gotten to my spiritual reading,just when I need it the most.I immediately ordered the book you suggested,kind of impulsively.Thank God for his guidance to help when you need it.I have been a big Thomas Merton fan for many years.I could use some dicipline.Thanks for the blog,will check in often
Liti DeMane

canucklehead

posted September 29, 2008 at 11:07 pm

Let us lift Brother Kuo up in prayer during these trying days as he mourns the passing of the Mets.

canucklehead

posted October 6, 2008 at 8:52 pm

Cubs lose in 3! Dave – please forward funds for grief counseling! I’m desperate, so much so that I’m praying about becoming a Mets fan.

Richard

posted October 7, 2008 at 4:05 pm

Is that all most christians can hark to the rest of the world “Give into the force” “Give into god and god’s will” I have heard it many times and many times over and over again. I used to be a believer in this faith but that was a long time ago. The real problem with your religion is that it signigicantly halts the furtherment of advancements in modern medicine and technology. Because of the influences of christian morals and values, many people are afraid to stand up and talk about what they truly believe in. Most people involved with religion in anyway try to make it out like they are the victim to ongoing attacks by athiests and other people who try to disprove your religion. You make it as if your are outnumbers by the naysayers and conspiracy theorists of this country. In reality we are the ones who are falling victim to your religions influence and onslaught. Too many of us are starting to feel uncomfortable and out of place when we try to speak up for what we belive in. We see the world for what it truly is and have woken up and realized that all any form of religion is, is a way to make people shut up and obey to outrageous claims made by people of any religion. If you people want to be christians then thats fine but i will continue to attack this religion as well as all religions untill people realize the truth that “mabey y’know there might not be a jesus” The only referance and truth you can fall back on in your defence is the bible….Yes a lot of claims made by scientists and athiest and conspiracy theaorists are hard to back up but alteast they use more than one scource when stating there claims.