J Walking

J Walking

Male insults

posted by David Kuo

Several years ago, while attending an Atlanta Braves baseball game at Turner Field – their home park – my wife kept getting a quizzical look on her face. It only occurred when the Braves were at bat and usually during a moment when things were going well for them.
Finally she turned to me and said, “Isn’t that odd?”
“What?”
“Isn’t it odd that the Braves play the cavalry charge to rally the team? I mean, aren’t ‘braves’ rather opposed to, say, a cavalry charge?”
As a Mets fan any insult leveled against the Braves is fine by my book. But her observation was of a different magnitude. I suppose it only underscores the fact that there are few thinking Braves fans.
Last night a different question – “Why is it,” she asked, “that men so frequently disparage one another using the word ‘dick’ when said body part drives so much of their existence?”
I tried to think of some sociological or psychological answer. Knowing the little bit that I do about Freud I really didn’t want to go there. And sociologically I was stumped. So I did what I did at the Braves game and smiled and said, “Wow, I have no clue.”
Of course that might just be the right answer to her question.

Doug

posted July 28, 2008 at 8:06 am

Yep. I think you nailed that one. And, of course, answering a woman’s question correctly is the male Nobel Prize.

Nobdy

posted July 28, 2008 at 11:34 am

Currently I am completing my undergrad degree and from what I see is that most males call others different slang names for female anatomy. They have also try to use the word “gay” as a synonym for “stupid” or “lame.” “That’s so gay.” “Stop being gay and come out with us tonight.”
The thing is that you can usually see their prejudices or insecurities very clear when they use these terms.
Combine that with their huge, loud trucks and the overwhelming smell of axe body spray…drives me nuts. :)

Thinker

posted July 28, 2008 at 11:46 am

Let us remember Rehoboam, son of Solomon, who after he was enthroned (and things weren’t going well at all) is threatened by the northern tribes who said “Your father laid a cruel yoke on us; if you will lighten your father’s cruel slavery, that heavy yoke which he imposed on us, we are willing to serve you.” Rehoboam thinks about it for three or four days and is advised to be nice by his advisors. then he consults his friends who tell him to stand up to them and so he says – (hard to find the translation that admits to it)
“my dick is fatter than my father’s thigh! So – my father laid a heavy joke on you? mine will be even heavier? My father kept you in line with the lash? I’ll whip you with scorpions!” and thus we have the creation of the term to which Kim refers – or at least the concept. Checked three translations – they use the the nice translation – my little finger is bigger than my father’s body – but the real story is about the eternal need for some dude to say – mine is bigger than yours.

Boone

posted July 28, 2008 at 11:46 am

What an interesting post, especially here.
There seem to be a plethora of names for women, and for women’s body parts that–when referred to a man or a woman, seem to be worse than the word “dick”.
Moreso, you never hear women call eachother a “dick”, but you hear men and women insult one another by calling eachother “p—ies”.
I think it must be related to the hierarchical nature of our male outlook. Calling someone a “dick” is more of a definition of their character than a slight to it. Not-so with names names used that find their origins in female anatomy.
How odd.

Noodle Beach

posted July 28, 2008 at 10:13 pm

wow – can I host a blog that ponders such deep questions as yours? This is all you could come up with today?

Thinker

posted July 28, 2008 at 10:54 pm

Ah Heck Noodle Beach – sometimes you just gotta have fun!

David Kuo

posted July 28, 2008 at 11:03 pm

Hey Noodle Beach – rarely brilliant, sorry.

Albert the Abstainer

posted July 29, 2008 at 5:56 am

My dear Richard Head had this to say: “At least I have one. Hell, I am one.”

canucklehead

posted July 30, 2008 at 1:41 am

wasn’t it God who told Saul/Paul to stop fighting the pricks of his day?

Schnook

posted August 6, 2008 at 10:02 am

Haha, that’s a fantastic thought – both of them, actually, although being Aussie I know very little about baseball leagues. I love it when people pick up on the tiny assumptions we make every day :)