J Walking

J Walking

Out of the closet… or not

posted by David Kuo

I understand – in a small way – what it is like to come out of the closet.
I say that because I feel like I have to continually come out of the closet and say, “Hey, wait, I’m a writer.” You’d think after all the writing I’ve done that this wouldn’t be some extraordinary revelation. And yet it is.
So here I am again, loud, proud, and unable to rhyme.

David R. Gillespie

posted June 10, 2008 at 11:01 am

I know the feeling.

james curtis

posted June 10, 2008 at 11:40 am

THAT IS THE MOST INSIPID LOAD OF CRUD I HAVE EVER READ. HAVE YOU BEEN TIED TO A FENCE AND BEATEN TO DEATH LIKE MATTHEW SHEPARD? HAVE YOU BEEN DENIED A JOB, A PROMOTION, A PLACE TO LIVE BECAUSE OF WHO YOU WERE? DID THE NAZIS SEW PINK TRIANGLES ON YOUR SHIRTS BEFORE THEY GASSED YOU?
BUDDY, YOU HAVE NO CLUE ABOUT THE COURAGE REQUIRED TO TELL OTHERS YOU ARE HOMOSEXUAL. I DOUBT YOU WOULD HAVE THAT KIND OF COURAGE.
GO BACK TO WRITING FOR THE “COMPASSIONATE CONSERVATIVES”(AN OXYMORON), STICK WITH WHAT YOU KNOW.

JacalineJ

posted June 10, 2008 at 11:56 am

And you have been GREATLY missed by more than just me… I am sure. I hope all is well!
Jackie

Doug

posted June 10, 2008 at 12:02 pm

I understand, too. The smell of mothballs and cedar get to you after a while. Nice to see you back, writer.

Pete Ahlstrom

posted June 10, 2008 at 12:08 pm

David, Welcome back, even if you can’t rhyme. (Hey, I can’t either.) And I hope you’ll pay the most attention to the posts from people that do care about you and show it by what they say. Less to even well-intentioned people (some with good causes, and always at least some we can learn from) who merely spew the hate and bias at you that they mistakenly believe we all are spewing at them.
Best wishes for many thought-provoking future blogs.
Pete A.

*Loreli*

posted June 10, 2008 at 12:25 pm

So glad the writer’s back!

Doug

posted June 10, 2008 at 12:40 pm

Rhyming is a writers’ way
Of distracting us from form and tense
And thereby carrying the day
When the words he chooses make no sense.
Erato, muse of charlatans!
Pindar, patron saint!
David, Psalmist, king and man!
Idolatry, the poet’s taint!
Bring us promises of reason,
Bring us hope in hope’s due time.
Give a care in every season.
But, Sir, I beg, don’t make it rhyme.

Doug

posted June 26, 2008 at 5:40 pm

Mothballs are kind of addictive, aren’t they?

Jay

posted June 30, 2008 at 2:23 pm

Do you ever fear rejection, verbal abuse or physical attack when doing so?
Then you have no idea.

Alice AN

posted July 19, 2008 at 5:50 pm

lol!
But how did your family react?
Oh no, not a writer! Maybe you are just going through a phase. There’s a job fair for ex-writers, maybe you need some help to make you normal again.
What about your friends?
It’s ok John, we have plenty of writer friends. Oh I would have never guessed you are one of those. You don’t seem the type.
Your Church?
We love all children of God, even if they are writers, as long as they don’t act on it.
Coming out as a writer sure is…hard? ;-)

Closet

posted November 24, 2008 at 8:42 am

Coming out of the closet is a courageous act.