J Walking

J Walking

Land v. Dreher on Wright… who is right?

posted by David Kuo

I just finished reading two pieces on Obama and Wright. One was by Richard Land, the other by Rod Dreher.

The pieces were on different topics – Land’s more general, about the speech and about race, Dreher’s more specific, about the apparent hypocrisy of Rev. Wright’s luxurious living with his messages.
But the difference was deeper than the topics. The difference was a difference of tone. Land’s was humble and thoughtful and kind. It was the kind of piece that moves a discussion forward by alienating no one, by casting no stones.
I hope my writing and my thinking can have that same graciousness.

jules

posted March 28, 2008 at 11:35 am

I rarely agree with Richard Land on anything, but I agree with you David. His tone was more gracious and gentle (maybe because he’s a pastor?) Rod Dreher is trapped in the gotcha partisan politics which have hurt our political and religious discourse in America, whether you are on the Left or the Right. I’m not exactly sure why Barack Obama must atone for the luxurious living of his former pastor since he is only one member of the 8,000 member congregation at Trinity UCC. Pastors in the most Protestant traditions are not required to take an oath of poverty. Look at the lifestyles of TD Jakes, Rod Parsley, Paula White, Joyce Meyer, etc. This is certainly not unique to Trinity.

Doug

posted March 28, 2008 at 12:49 pm

Yeah, boy. Dreher’s post is snarky. At the end of the day, though, I think the people offended by Jeremiah Wright’s lamentations have good cause and those that defend Wright also have good cause. I think Barack Obama agrees with me on this.

Cheryl

posted March 28, 2008 at 1:45 pm

David, I tend to agree with you but while your milquetoast approach may make you a better Christian it will serve you poorly in the blogosphere. Also, why aren’t you commenting to your own posts several times a day using a variety of different aliases and alter egos? Your posts have very few comments. It won’t matter how much better your approach is if you don’t survive to get your message out.

Larry Parker

posted March 28, 2008 at 2:11 pm

David:
If you read Rod’s blog, he has utterly declared war on you, saying you’re a snarky hypocrite too.
As if we all aren’t. Still (speaking of sarcasm), I couldn’t think of a better enemy to have …

Honest Inquiry

posted March 28, 2008 at 3:48 pm

Often on these blogs questions are posed to make a point, not to honestly ask a question. This is different.
Please help me with my ignorance. I do not understand why such racial hatred still exists today. I am white and have friends of various ethnic backgrounds. None of these other cultures appear to me to have the same chip on their shoulders as do some blacks.
Again, I do not say this to make a point but to honestly ask a question. Is the anger expressed by folks like Rev. Wright even justified in todays society? As I look at my own life, I can think of no advantage that I have had due to my race. I joined the military to pay for college, and attended medical school and graduate school on federal student loans. These same mechanisms that I used to become successful were and still are available to people of any race. As I looked for scholarships in college, it seemed that for every scholarship open to anyone, there were one or two more scholarship opportunities specifically for minorities.
Perhaps I am missing something, but why the continued anger. At some point, the sins of the past will need to be forgiven. I am not sure that atonement is even possible, so it would seem that forgiveness would be our only option. I would love to see the day when Barack Obama is no longer a black man, but just a man. Why can’t we seem to get there?

Honest Inquiry

posted March 28, 2008 at 3:50 pm

Mark

posted March 28, 2008 at 4:52 pm

What’s wrong with casting stones? You certainly weren’t above casting a few yourself at Benny Hinn. You described him as a “spiritual predator” and “a spiritual terrorist” based on something you thought he might do. Rod commented on something that actually happened.

Larry Parker

posted March 28, 2008 at 5:16 pm

And my G-d, I never, but NEVER, EVER, thought I would agree with Richard Land on anything …

Alicia

posted March 28, 2008 at 6:37 pm

Just read Richard Land’s piece. It appears to have been written as a serious piece, while Rod Dreher’s was satirical. I find Rod Dreher’s blog consistently thought-provoking. He is often criticized for using offensive terms in his headlines — that’s one of the things that makes his blog challenging and popular.
Honestly, I much prefer it to the tone of the Sojourners blog, for instance. Sojourners bloggers are well-intentioned people but almost every posting by the contributors has such a self-righteous tone that I can’t stomach it. Dreher is much more down to earth, like a real person, which is why I think his blog is much more fun.

Point of order...

posted March 28, 2008 at 6:56 pm

If Dreher’s tone is any indication, that’s one person with whom I wouldn’t find myself associating in the realy world. He comes off as an angry frat boy, willing to denigrate and cajole at his leisure, but unwilling to take criticism without resorting to bullying tactics.
He’s actually responded to commenter’s real-life concerns with “boo hoo!” and “waaaah” – just like a spoiled, entitled man-child.
He can keep his big audience. Monster truck rallies have big audiences.

James

posted March 28, 2008 at 9:15 pm

Dreher’s piece is a blog entry; Land’s a column. You’ve rightly praised Dreher for his newspaper column on Wright. I’ve been generally annoyed with Dreher’s snark about Wright in his blog– but he has also written humble, thoughtful and kind things about the pastor.

Larry Parker

posted March 28, 2008 at 9:53 pm

Alicia:
Dreher’s blog is more fun.

James

posted March 29, 2008 at 12:42 am

Larry, as I recall it was the way you baited Rod and many of the rest of us that got you banned from crunchycon… There are plenty of “liberal” commenters over there who refrain from alienating or from casting stones.

aquaman

posted March 29, 2008 at 8:46 am

Yes, Rod took umbrage at what David said. I posted this comment in your defense, David; I hope I didn’t misconstrue your position.
——————-
Rod,
It’s perfectly fair to criticize Jeremiah Wright for acting in a manner unbefitting a minister of the Gospel, and accepting a 10,000 square foot home as a going-away present from your congregation certainly qualifies. Why bring race into the matter? Your “U.S. of KKK-A” comment echoes the odious view that every African-American who achieves some measure of success in America forefits his/her right to recall that his/her ancestors were brought here in chains and treated as subhuman for two or three centuries. I don’t think you believe this, Rod; you shouldn’t write as though you do. I would suggest that it was this part of your post, and not your criticism of Rev. Wright’s lifestyle, that evoked David Kuo’s criticism of you.
Peace.

Michael

posted March 29, 2008 at 8:54 am

Land is being unusually reasonable and it’s a well reasoned piece.
Dreher would be a better blogger if he blogged less. He needs to have some unarticulated thoughts in his life, because his tendency is to be snarky and a little mean, like someone who has been picked on his whole life getting a little revenge.

Larry Parker

posted March 29, 2008 at 1:07 pm

James:
I didn’t “bait” anyone.
All I did was present my position, at times, in as snarky a way as Rod presents his. Rod was the first to admit that, very often, he was not at all bothered by my responses (except ideologically) and that they contributed positively to the debate.
Unfortunately, ultimately, he (and you and other commenters, by your complaints about me, which bordered on the libelous IMO) decided you couldn’t take that balance of the snarky and serious.
If he wanted to kick me off, that’s fine. It’s his blog. But IMO, it was incredibly petty of someone who styles himself as one of the great (contrarian) conservative minds of our time. And it certainly isn’t in the true interactive, debating spirit of “blogging.”
One that (and poor David is caught in the middle of this, both from Rod and from me) our own blogmaster certainly embraces.

PatientWitness

posted March 29, 2008 at 4:26 pm

Another thing I’ve noticed about Dreher’s blog is the dearth of original thought. He posts a lot of remarks regarding what he’s read from others – magazine articles, books, blogs, etc. He’s conservative but I wouldn’t call him a great conservative thinker. And Larry is also correct in that Dreher is too quick to whine when called out on some hypocrisy or inconsistency. Still though, Dreher’s blog is interesting reading.
This is one reason I like David’s blog more than any others I read. David posts his own thinking, listens to critics, and thinks about both what he writes and what others write in comments.

montag

posted March 29, 2008 at 5:05 pm

I believe you to be correct.
I hope the attitude of Mr. Land gains ground, but I sense that Mr. Dreher is a sign that the time of opinions is past.

pen

posted March 29, 2008 at 7:00 pm

Oh come on. David is a blogger. Rod Dreher is a showman and a hustler in the style of the late great Morton Downy Jr. His job is to make people shout at each other and produce as many page hits as possible. It dosn’t matter about what. When things get too slow he walks out into the audience and shoots someone like Larry in the head just to get the antagonism pumping again.

James

posted March 29, 2008 at 8:31 pm

OK, y’all are being far nastier about Rod Dreher he was about Jeremiah Wright.

canucklehead

posted March 29, 2008 at 8:42 pm

Texas.
Need we say more?

Patrick

posted March 29, 2008 at 9:22 pm

Canucklehead, you seem to be suggesting the people of a very large, very diverse state can all be assumed to share the same attitudes or ideology. Having lived in Texas all my life, I assure you that is not true. Furthermore, it’s evidence of a double standard.
Let me illustrate. Suppose I read about Rev. Wright and my reaction was this:
>>”Black. Need we say more?”

Anonymous

posted March 29, 2008 at 10:26 pm

“People would say I’m a bigot, and they would be correct. Exactly how is your slur against the people of Texas any different?”
Ah, yes. I too recall when Texans could be identified on sight, were enslaved, lynched, couldn’t drink from the same water fountains, and were not allowed to marry people from other states lest they contaminate their blood.

Larry Parker

posted March 29, 2008 at 10:30 pm

Pen:
Mentally and emotionally, that’s about how it felt — not so much by Rod, but by people like James slagging me as insane because only the fact I have bipolar disorder could explain my liberal politics.

James

posted March 30, 2008 at 12:14 am

Larry.
Dude.
1. You don’t call this baiting?
2. My politics maybe aren’t as liberal as yours (who’s to say?) but for the record I have voted for Nader and Kerry, and am eager to elect Obama in November. Rev Wright doesn’t bother me at all, and I’m annoyed that he bothers Dreher.
3. Who that has slagged you as insane resembles me?
4. Please don’t be flippant about mood disorders. Your snark cuts a little close to home.
5. I think that David may have access to both your contact info and mine? If he will give you my email address, I’d be grateful for you to contact me privately.

Larry Parker

posted March 30, 2008 at 1:02 am

James:
Might I refer you to your 12:42 a.m. post of a day before? In which you mentioned your sympathy and partnership with those who excoriated me, many of whom specifically mentioned my bipolar disorder in derisive terms and cast me personally in terms that, outside the Internet, would be considered libelous?
BTW, I would never be flippant about a disease I have myself and have suffered from for over a decade. Why does that “snark” (I’d use another word like, oh, “truth”) hit so close to home for you?
I don’t think it’s David’s role to settle this dispute. But I will say that for a self-described liberal, you’re an awful lot like Rod.

benintn

posted March 30, 2008 at 2:13 pm

You still have room to grow, David. All of us do, including Richard Land and Barack Obama. Did you hear about Obama’s misstatement in which he seemed to indicate that pregnancy would be seen as a “punishment” for a mistake made by a sexually active teen? Apparently, the pro-life community is poised to make political hay from this soundbite. Ah, how I love the soundbites… Satan used them to great advantage in the garden of Eden, didn’t he?

recovering ex-Pentecostal

posted March 30, 2008 at 5:24 pm

“The difference was a difference of tone. Land’s was humble and thoughtful and kind.”
No one ever mistook Rod Dreher for being either humble, thoughtful OR kind. He revels in nasty. It is his ethos.

Larry Parker

posted March 30, 2008 at 6:06 pm

Well said, REP.
(And I admit that’s neither humble, thoughtful or kind, but then again, I don’t share David’s faith, either.)

James

posted March 30, 2008 at 10:55 pm

Larry– no, not about settling a dispute so much as having a real conversation. If you’re interested.

tmeadows

posted March 30, 2008 at 11:10 pm

have you ever had a good friend who you knew for a lon long time,
but had very different views on many things.
did you ever think of just walking away from this person, never to
see then again??
the world id full of people with different views. i will not judge
you by something your friend says, unless you give me cause to believe
that you feel the same way.

Another day

posted March 31, 2008 at 12:47 am

Neither John the Baptist, Jesus the Messiah, or, any of the Apostles and Disciples were quiet and all nicey nicey-nice when it came to false teachers, false leaders and false prophets. Dreher shows that he has read the more accurate translations of the New Testament. “Love” does not mean, allow a liar to lie.

Larry Parker

posted March 31, 2008 at 10:00 am

James:
I’d love to have a real conversation — although about what, exactly, I have no idea. (Rod’s case for sainthood at the Vatican, his Orthodox conversion and status still among the living be da-ned?)
Your attacks haven’t exactly gotten things off to a good start, though.
But I’ll show some good faith — if you’re REALLY interested, my social networking address on Bnet (which accepts e-mail) is doxieman122.
Your move.

Carol

posted March 31, 2008 at 11:02 am

It’s pretty obvious that Ron Dreher’s going on and on about Rev. Wright is just him carrying out his Republican talking points assignment and really has no other basis for his interest.
Because meanwhile, there’s a weeks old story from his own paper about a 12-year-old stripper in his own back yard and he’s too busy dividing his time between reading stories out loud from his favorite book and playing Gizoogle to notice.
How anyone can take anything Rod Dreher says about anything serious is beyond me.

Alicia

posted March 31, 2008 at 11:13 am

Larry Parker said:
“But it’s more nasty too, as I can testify (Rod literally threw me off of it for my liberal politics).”
Sorry to take so long to respond, but I don’t have computer access on the weekends. I’m sorry you got thrown off of the Crunchycons blog. I recognize that sometimes discussions on the site get heated. Popularity is no sign of quality, but it’s also no sign of lack of quality. Sometimes I find Rod Dreher extremely insightful, and at other times, I think he takes cheap shots.
But what I like about his site is by being honest with his opinions, he enables people to think issues through together in almost a brainstorming way. To me blogging is rather stream-of-consciousness. That’s a strength but also a weakness. I prefer honesty to political correctness any day of the week.

Eliot Ware

posted March 31, 2008 at 12:42 pm

I would be more sympathetic to Mr. Dreher’s argument if: 1) Reverend Wright were the actual Pastor of a church and not the retired Pastor; and, 2) more (or any) of the people ready to condemn Reverend Wright had actually bothered to view the sermons rather than the YouTube snippets taken out of context. My wife’s pension after retiring as a US government employee will be more in total than Trinity United Church of Christ is spending on Reverend Wright’s house (assuming it’s the Lord’s will that she lives an average lifespan). I have to agree with Reverend Wright that it’s pretty orthodox Christianity that God would damn America if America tried to replace God (which Reverend Wright actually said). I think that Senator Clinton most likely had never been called the “N” word and having missed out on that experience would have a hard time actually understanding what it means to be Black in America. I can tell you that every Black American remembers the first time they were called that. It’s not something you ever forget. I can tell you that my wife (a molecular biologist for the United States Army) attended a presentation about 2 months ago that presented the theory that AIDS was the unintended result of attempts to create a vaccine in Africa. The mutation of that vaccine resulted in AIDS in the Black population of the African country in which it was being tested and no steps were taken to stop the spread. This is the genesis of the America created AIDS and gave it to Black people statement that Reverend Wright stated. Not only does Reverend Wright believe it but it is not dismissed so cavalierly by US Army scientists.
Reverend Wright’s attitude toward race may not be mine but it is not without its basis. Having been in an interracial marriage for the last 17 years, I can tell you that racism is not dead. Heck, its not even uncommon. We were denied housing in Silver Spring, MD as recently as 1990. We were denied a mortgage loan by a company in 2000 when we applied in person and received a loan from that same company after we decide to apply via the Internet. My wife (who is “white”) had her contingent acceptance to medical school at Howard University rescinded after she forwarded the picture she had forgotten to include in her original packet.
Last, I would point out that the simple act of classifying Senator Obama as “black” is racist. It is a direct holdover of the “one drop” rules and a reminder always that we still maintain a grip on the past.
We need to remember our Christianity in all things. Conservatism and liberalism have no place in a Christian’s heart. Neither is part of the two greatest commandments. Until we remember that (and live it daily) we fall well short of Jesus’ expectations.

Alicia

posted March 31, 2008 at 1:49 pm

Eliot, you said:
“Conservatism and liberalism have no place in a Christian’s heart.”
I respect that this is your view of Christianity, but it is not mine. As a politically moderate Christian agnostic, I can’t make those neat distinctions between religion and politics.
I don’t believe we ought to project our own politics onto the Gospel. Liberals and conservatives are equally guilty of doing this. There is a tendency to define a good “Christian” in terms of our own political and moral ideas. At my church, many people appear to be sure a good Christian believes in left wing ideas. It’s probably the contrarian in me, but the more I sense this leftward drift, the more likely I am to adopt more conservative ideas.
I was playing hooky from church this weekend, and heard Reverend Wright described on one of the Sunday morning shows as “prophetic.” In my view he is not prophetic, but rather “demagogic.”

Eliot Ware

posted March 31, 2008 at 3:38 pm

I believe that a good Christian believes in Jesus the Christ. Pretty much ends there. As to Reverend Wright being “prophetic”, I don’t agree. I believe that prior to the full revelation of the Word prophets were necessary but since we have the Word there is no need for prophet. As to his being “demagogic”, I simply ask that you listen to the sermons (not the snippets) and make up your mind after.
Blessings.

Alicia

posted March 31, 2008 at 5:50 pm

The “snippets” don’t bother me. It’s the content of assertions such as “the U.S. Government created the AIDS virus in order to commit genocide against African-Americans, and the U.S. Government is responsible for pushing drugs in the Inner Cities, and Jesus Christ was murdered by “Italians” (Tony Soprano as Pontius Pilate?) — the provision of a forum to Hamas — the coziness with Louis Farrakhan, etc., etc.
I don’t particularly agree with the “G_D-damn America” statement — it’s not really up to Reverend Wright to judge whether America is blessed, saved, or damned, but he has a right to say that if he wants to and his right to do so should be defended. But when he promotes paranoid conspiracy theories as truth then he is venturing into demagogery. And should be roundly condemned for doing so.

Dino

posted March 31, 2008 at 6:22 pm

I thought Dreher’s response to David was right on the mark.

James

posted April 1, 2008 at 1:22 am

Dino–
Dreher’s response was right on the mark, but Kuo’s post was right on the mark, too. JWalking has not always shown the graciousness that Kuo says he aspires to. Dreher’s response pointed out the most egregious failures. But I believe Kuo when he says that he truly does aspire to a certain level of graciousness.
What I’ve found odd… and disturbing, because this post has generated the most comment although several posts around it are far more worth reading… is that both Kuo & Dreher stooped to ad hominem against each other (Dreher less mildly, to be fair). Dreher’s response was fair, but it was also acid.
And was it necessary? Just a few weeks earlier JWalking commended Dreher’s excellent column about the “chief of sinners.” Surely Rod Dreher didn’t suddenly believe that Kuo thought he was a bad bad man?
(my earlier comment accusing Larry of baiting was meanspirited and unfair. I take it back to the extent that damage is undoable, and would be grateful to see it scrubbed)

Dino

posted April 1, 2008 at 9:27 am

James-
“But I believe Kuo when he says that he truly does aspire to a certain level of graciousness.”
OK. You are absolutely entitled to your beliefs.
I don’t believe it.
I see it as a holier than thou dig- which was promptly proven false. I think there’s a difference in the honesty between the two. Dreher doesn’t suggest his own harshness is wrong. David tries to suggest that he aspires to the high road. Dreher just pointed out that David was covered in mud.
Let’s look at other issues here as well. One of the central points of DK’s book was that Christians should take a fast from politics. Look at the posts here since that book. What percentage of them are political? I think it’s more hypocrsy in that DK believes that those who don’t share his political views should take a fast from politics.
His own “fast” reminds me of Cindy Sheehan’s fruit smoothies and ice cream laden coffee fast — something inspiring to talk about, but not really practised.

rage

posted April 1, 2008 at 6:46 pm

Richard Land was playing the usual safe alabastar game of Can’t-We-All-Just-Get-Along. Land acknowledged that we indeed have a huge problem with the bane of socially ingrained xenophobia in America that has gone unaddressed for centuries the same way we banaly recite the I Have A Dream speech two or three times every February in the name of Black History. Land’s observation of the racism that is alive and well everywhere in America was just another insincere trite acknowledgement of the obvious by a white man out to publicly absolve himself for being a beneficiary of the very curse that still afflicts the son of slaves, the sons of Natives who were taken in genocidal agression, and the rampant sexism that gave us the burning of women as witches. Yes, it’s terrible, but Land will literally be damned before he will earnestly commit to working to resolve and restore the human community of this terrible thing.
Rod Dreher, however, was a racist a$$ on an entirely malevolent level though. I don’t know if Rod is jealous or just hateful. Both negative sentiments bled ruthlessly through Dreher’s caustic commentary on Dr. Wright’s just receiving the home his congregants have built for him as a retirement gift in appreciation for his service to them! One would think that the man had fleeced the planet to illegally acquire prime real estate in Heaven by the way Dreher went on about a $1.6 million home in the greater Chicago area. Incidentally, $1.6 million is not that lavish for a home anywhere in Cook County, Illinois, where some studio towne homes start at just under $500,000.00.
“Wow. For Rev. Wright, fish don’t burn in the kitchen, beans don’t burn on the grill. Who knew that kind of thing was even possible in the U.S. of KKK-A.? See, Barack’s not even president yet, and already things are changing for the better. Keep hope alive!” That was naked bigotry on too many levels to say. Yet, this was Dreher’s “contextual” judgement of Wright, based on a third party’s stereotypically cliched observation of mega-ministries that have thrown off the shackles of poverty to hypocritcally put on the blessed garments of God’s ordained prosperity in the tradition of Jabez. That third party’s observation was negatively colored by a Fox News report of the congregants at Trinity UCC rewarding their pastor for his many years of service to an entire community.
The truth is that Hannity had been beating that most provocative 3 to 5 minutes of Dr. Wright’s sermon for months, with no one paying him much mind. Hannity finally got his prime window of opportunity to use the well pared footage when it became obvious that Hillary no longer had a snowball’s chance in hell of beating Obama, who just happens to be polling better than Insane McCain for November. The thing is, though, Hillary is Rupert Murdoch’s choice for President, and Rupert Murdoch is Hannity’s boss and owner. So, to distract the nation from real issues that would prove conducive to making a reason decision in the voting booth in November, Fox News dedicated hours of air time to instigating the nationalistic xenophiboc attack on Pastor Wright for his anti-American, pro-Black, treasonous speech against a Nation at war in the Middle East, based on a criminally selected few minutes of a 30-minute sermon rather deliberately taken way out of context. As a result, all anyone has heard was GOD DAMN AMERIKKKA! That’s right – GOD DAMN AMERIKKKA!!!
What all these detractors need to do is to go back and view the entire sermon in question in the true context of Dr. Wright’s legitimate critique of the Nation attacked on 9/11 that subsequently attacked and still occupy a sovereign nation that was neither responsible for nor ever linked to the destructive attacks on American soil that fateful Tuesday in 2001. Dr. Wright is not the only American who has been courageous enough to call America out on her many political sins and global offenses. Most of the sermon in question is a collection of quotes delivered by white Christian patriots who share Wright’s concern that American policies serve the ruling elite at the expense of the most vulnerable. Countless abolitionists maintained then and many activist still agree that America was founded on an occidental heritage of colonial imperialism and xenophobic hegemony that has wrought some of the greatest atrocities known to man, slavery and genocide being among the greatest of our sins.
I am certain that Dr. Jeremiah Wright loves his country, because, like his namesake the Prophet Jeremiah, he told his countrymen the truth they most definitely did not want to hear. Contemporary America wants to hear that we have resolved the issue of the socially engrained bigotry that benefits the majority of her citizens in complete oblivion of the suffering of people of color still seen socially as second class citizens. We want to throw up our progress as a demonstration of all being right with the world. We want to stop people of color to stop singing We Shall Overcome and start singing that We Have Oversome because, for the majority, this is as many and as much as can be withstood if our American ‘heritage’ is to maintained in that manner that preserves the status quo in tact. We can’t possibly dare to have a true America if the current majority is displaced or any-what changed. We must keep things ‘right’ to preserve our traditions and a coyly crafted history that blankets foundational crimes to perpetually glorify and annoint the intended beneficiaries of our Christian heritage of Manifest Destiny by mandate of Divine Providence, and other legendary wives tales.
Thus, a National outcry for the severed head of Wright is consistent. After all, how dare Dr. Wright use his pulpit to point out to that America has ignored too long the glaring reality that peace is inextricably connected to the resolution of the issues of poverty, hunger, guilt, shame, and human rights. How dare Wright point us in the direction of the truth that will make us all FREE AT LAST! He dared to step away from the Fox talking points that made the majority comfortable with us all having overcome, to alert us that America has not come over far enough to righteousness and justice. He let it out that our policies are evil in their intent and their purpose. Wright loved America enough to make us uncomfortable, mad, cry, hurt, and aggitated with the reality that we are anything these days but Christ-like and Blessed.
Dr. Wright has been working to eradicate prejudice and bigotry for years. He’s also worked in the vineyard of his community faithfully enough for years. He’s still fighting for justice, peace, and equality for all Americans, hoping to finally legitimately validate that we as a single nation of people have resolved the unfinished business of affirming for all the world that all humanity is a single race of people. That the limited twit demographic of Fox News viewers can still only hear that Wright said GOD DAMN AMERICA bespeaks more about idiots who waste time swilling at Sean Hannity’s crass tittivision infotaiment troughs than about Dr. Wright’s life and works.

Verla Mae

posted April 2, 2008 at 11:33 am

God bless you, Rage!
That was the most truthful assessment of this ridiculous Obama-Wright flap that I’ve read so far.
Thank you!

Anonymous

posted April 10, 2008 at 3:28 pm

Bigotry is a serious sin that many christians are still covering up.It is a sin that causes many of us to point the finger at someone else,rather than to look deep into our own hearts. it is that time.