J Walking

J Walking

Dogs or Darfur?

posted by David Kuo

Federal prosecutors have gotten disgraced NFL star Michael Vick to set aside $928,000 for the care and placement of the 54 pit bulls rescued from his horrendous dogfighting operation. That is quite a lot of money by every standard – more than $17,000 per dog.
We live in a ghastly rich country. Michael Vick has (or had) a lot of money. It is humane to care for those animals. No arguments here.
But if it is true that dogs deserve to be treated well – to be cared for and loved – then shouldn’t it also be true that people suffering from genocide in Darfur deserve even better care?
Darfur2.jpg
Isn’t it true that human beings are of greater worth than animals? I don’t say this, as some have, as justification for hurting animals or destroying our environment. Quite the opposite actually – I believe our responsibility to God’s creation is extraordinarily high. That goes for the environment and it goes for our pets and it goes to how we treat the chickens and cows and pigs that eventually end up on our plates.
But don’t we have to ask ourselves whether our priorities are a bit whacked if we find ourselves more interested in caring for dogs than in caring for suffering people?

Carol

posted November 28, 2007 at 11:19 am

I hate this argument why does it have to be one or the other? So until all people in the world are taken care of we should do nothing about cruelty to animals? Isn’t there enough money to go around? I donate to people charities and animal charities. I am sick of people telling me I have no moral right to be concerned with anmials if there are people in need. We are avery rich country and we can afford to do both. Don’t tell me that your concerns are greater than mine because they are not.

Thinker

posted November 28, 2007 at 11:43 am

Actually, perhaps we cannot afford to do both. We live luxurious lives in that we can pay attention to things like abused dogs, can obsess about celebrities, worry about what car we need. Our lives will inevitably become simpler in these next years and perhaps we will see the suffering of people very far away. We can be horrifed over the treatment of dogs in order to avoid looking at and involving ourselves with pictures like the one above.
I can rejoice at my child’s recovery from cancer – knowing that it cost well over a million dollars. She can grieve over the death of a single child in Haiti – named Grace – who could have been saved for only a few dollars. We love good endings. We love stories that turn out well. Darfur seems hopeless and not something that can turn out well. It is too messy for us.
We are lucky to be able to worry about dogs. But perhaps we become overly concerned with such things only by ignoring things we would rather not see.

aquaman

posted November 28, 2007 at 11:47 am

David, this is a false choice. We can (and should) do much more in Darfur, but that help does not (and should not) come at the expense of supporting our local churches, caring for the poor at home– and, yes, supporting charities that work to prevent cruelty to animals.
Thanks for the jarring picture. The news we receive in America is too sugar-coated; no wonder it’s so hard to rouse people to action.
Peace.

Doug

posted November 28, 2007 at 12:14 pm

This reminds me of a few weeks ago when I went to the grocery and bought myself a pound of hamburger and a box of hamburger helper then crossed the parking lot to buy my dogs a $20 bag of freeze-dried checken. I don’t know the answer to your question, but I know Darfur is a disgrace to us all.

Jake

posted November 28, 2007 at 12:19 pm

I feel like I’m reading a different post than Carol and Aquaman. I don’t think David is offering a false choice at all – in fact, he clearly says that he is not doing so. He clearly states that we need to be concerned about the environment and that this includes how we treat animals.
At the same time, he makes a valuable point – while we should absolutely be concerned about the treatment of animals, shouldn’t we be MORE concerned about human life? What is happening in areas like Darfur is obscene – and if we’re more concerned about the plight of 54 pit bulls than we are about the situation of hundreds of thousands of humans in Darfur, I think there is a problem. It is good that Vick was made to provide for the dogs – but almost 1 million dollars seems awfully excessive, and I can’t help but wonder if some of that money could be better used elsewhere. And the sad reality is that many people in our country were more troubled by Vick’s treatment of dogs than they are about the Darfur situation (and other similar situations around the world) – and that is tragic.
It is not an “either/or” question – it is absolutely “both/and”. But that doesn’t mean we shouldn’t raise questions about the degree to which we commit ourselves and our resources to one or the other.

Phil DeBrier

posted November 28, 2007 at 12:33 pm

David, your questions presupposes that in a perfect world, all would be treated equal, with access to resources and care. Unfortunately, we don’t live in that world. I suppose that as a country, if we choose to bomb Iraq back to the Stone Age or spend hundreds of millions on space stations, then we should spend more (emphasis of more) on suffering in the world. As a person, I know that my means are limited, and recognize that I cannot make much of a difference outside my own sphere of influence. It’s a shocking photo you posted, but if I sold all I own and gave every penny to relief agencies I’m only postponing the inevitable for most of these folks.
The reality of the world is that the United States, with its best intentions and vast wealth, by it’s self, still does not have the means to prevent suffering. It’s not hard to find world leaders who will oppose us regardless of our stated intentions, and local leaders who see charity as yet another resource to be looted. We cannot impose peace and order through force of arms, so it falls on local leaders in Darfur (and other locations of suffering) to look at that photo you posted and decide to care for their own. Only then does more aid become truly effective, once diplomatic efforts ensure it gets to those who need it.
Cheers….Phil

jen halverson

posted November 28, 2007 at 12:58 pm

“Where you live should not determine whether you live or die.”
Bono (I believe he said this in reference to HIV/AIDS, but it certainly applies much more broadly as well)

Edward

posted November 28, 2007 at 1:23 pm

Phil is absolutely correct.
When I heard they were getting a million to care for dogs, I thought that was definitely excessive, but I had not thought to connect it to Darfur. Some people are determined to make others suffer, and there is little the individual can do about it.
(I assume the money will care for the dogs for life, since fighting dogs should not be put in homes.)

Larry Parker

posted November 28, 2007 at 1:52 pm

As I said in the other thread, the issue isn’t being easier on Michael Vick, it’s being “tougher” on the true causes of the Darfur genocide.
(And, obviously, doing G-d’s work to provide what relief we can in the meanwhile.)

Charity

posted November 28, 2007 at 1:54 pm

I don’t think David is advocating a people or dogs type of choice. But he does raise a point – how many people are more concerned with pets or animals than with the suffering of other humans.
Bringing it a little closer to home. During the Katrine disaster and it’s aftermath, I had a number of co-workers worried about what happened to the animals then to the people who suffered. Maybe it is just because at the time I was a new Mom (thought I doubt it). To me the human tragedy overshadowed the animals. I will never get out of my mind the picture of a woman standing on an overpass crying/screaming while dead bodies floated along the flooded streets in front of her.
Or let’s get even closer to home. How many children are subjected to abuse equal to that of dogs in dog-fighting, but we have a justice system that offers them no recompense? As a matter of fact, no court would have returned those dogs to Vick’s care, but how many children are returned to abuse adult’s care, in part because the foster system is so overwhelmed?
We think this is about giving money to worthy causes. I think this is about caring – caring enough to stand up and say ‘this is not right’, caring enough to examine ourselves, caring enough to be uncomfortable and yet not run from it, caring enough to do something, caring enough to sacrifice.
Yes, there are people who find it easier to care more for pets, for animals, than for people. Pets are in many ways much easier to love, much safer to love, than people. For one thing, in loving animals, people at least feel they are in control. Whether I like it or not, putting animals before people, those who do have that right. And it is good that there are people who do care for the voiceless, be it a pet, a child, a disabled person, etc.
Maybe we should also look at the people who do the abuse. Those who abuse a pet or animal are more likely to abuse a child or a spouse or anyone whom is weaker.
Any way we look at – to helping the victims of genocide in Darfur, of Katrina and other natural disasters, of child abuse or calling into accountability those who perpetuate the abuse (and doing something to stop them) – it’s not easy or comfortable.

Jontemplar

posted November 28, 2007 at 3:14 pm

I don’t know what to say. The compassionate conservative family values people have been in control for almost seven years in Congress, the White House, and many key positions in Government. Slogans aside, actions support your negate their words. Tax cuts for the wealthiest, endless war, poor care and treatment of our wounded vets, open borders, consolidation and shut down of refiners and public utilities, health care for a few, prescription drug plan that turns you into a criminal if you buy your drugs cheaper, and a $4 trillion dollar increase in the national debt to show for it. I hope that true Conservatives will decide it is time to take back the party. The kind of Culture we have is reflective of the kind of leaders we have. Family Values and Compassionate Conservatism are feel good beards for greed.

aquaman

posted November 28, 2007 at 3:22 pm

Yes, a million dollars is a lot for fifty-four dogs, but it’s not as though the court could have ordered Michael Vick to send a million dollars to Darfur instead.
Part of the problem is that our media outlets devote far more time to Michael Vick (or Britney Spears, or Paris Hilton, etc., etc.) than to Darfur. This doesn’t excuse our collective denial, but it sure makes it easier to stay on the sidelines.

Thinker

posted November 28, 2007 at 3:38 pm

Perhaps, it is because we really do value life – at least thelives we can touch. Would dogfighting or cockfighting have been seen as brutal 60 years ago? And 60 years ago were there routine lynchings of people who had done little or nothing to deserve such a thing? I always think about the attitudes of my parents and grandparents that now cause me embarrassement. Humiliating to think of their racist attitudes now. My mother burned some family documents from the 1700’s because they revealed people who had fun tormenting slaves and joked about it. She didn’t want her grandchildren to know that their families had ever done such things – even 200 years ago. What will our children say about our blindness to global suffering? Will they think it was our generation that could not react? Will they react to our blindness. I get my students to think about what unChristian attitudes worry them in their parents. Then I ask them, “And what attitudes are you forming that will make your children turn from you?” where are your blind spots. Examining our blindness very early can perhaps prevent some of it. Such a failure to see is not hereditary. Every generation gets a new opportunity to see. Our blindness is Darfur, and the horrors of war, the helplessness of the sick, the idea that money can fix anything. I think that the horror people feel over mistreatment of dogs or any living thing is perhaps a good thing. We are moving in a better direction. We’re just not there yet.

Charles Cosimano

posted November 28, 2007 at 4:29 pm

Dogs are of infinitely more value, as anyone who has been around too many humans can attest.

SkipChurch

posted November 28, 2007 at 4:40 pm

I think it very likely that most people would rate the importance of the welfare of American dogs higher than that of third world children, not to mention third world adults. They don’t think of it that way consciously, but that’s what it comes down to.
Is there, shall we say, an ethnocentric aspect?
Oh yeah.

NJS

posted November 28, 2007 at 4:57 pm

There are an infinite number of worthy causes out there. It is not for ANY of us to say what cause is more worthy than the next. We can only answer this for ourselves. My priorities are no one else’s business.

canucklehead

posted November 28, 2007 at 5:01 pm

“Suffer the little chihauhaus to come unto me.”

SakuraHana

posted November 28, 2007 at 6:37 pm

This whole article is quite ridiculous. No one has ever implied that the dogs Michael Vick abused are more valuable than the suffering humans in Africa. I have no idea where David Kuo got that idea. Secondly, humans are not “of greater worth” than animals. Humans *are* animals, and we are not the “best” animal either. That is purely a rather arrogant Judeo-Christian concept that is not shared by a great many people of other faiths in the world.

James

posted November 28, 2007 at 11:15 pm

Wow, I am amazed at the response to this post. I catch the satirical tone too many of the comments but comments like that of SakuraHana I never would have guessed. Obviously a humans life is worth more than a dog’s even if everything is purely a result of evolution. Doesn’t a species put its own survival above any other? Therefore to a human, humans are the most valuable. Only from a completely impartial view would all species be equally valuable, or better yet equally worthless.
Anyway, it is great to check your priorities, and this post causes one to do so.

SkipChurch

posted November 29, 2007 at 4:17 am

The great cause of primitive warfare was over animals (and females, but we’ll skip that for the moment). So my cattle, my horses, are more important that your (enemy) lives. Human beings just haven’t developed to the point where ‘the group’ they are prepared to fight for, care about, defend, includes all of humanity. It’s still family-ethnic group-race-religion-nation. The OT portrays this outlook with vivid shamelessness. But an individual doesn’t put the survival of the species very high on the list; it’s the dominance of his family/clan/tribe/nation he values.
Many would look at Africa and say, “Why give them medicine, they’ll just starve because there isn’t enough food; and why give them more food, they’ll just breed, and there’s no end to it.” Population control through disease, famine and warfare is nature’s way, in other words. The affluent West isn’t very interested in addressing the problem of Africa comprehensively because there is little to be got in the way of economic payback by interfering in the brutal efficiency of
nature’s Malthusian calculus.

Charity

posted November 29, 2007 at 9:11 am

SkipChurch has a good, albeit depressing, point. But, even in the cases of fighting over animals, what it really is about is fighting over resources so that the individual’s personal – family – clan survive. Let’s not make primitive humanity look like they would join up with PETA. They wouldn’t. 8-)
But yes, at the root of human nature is the drive to survive. But humans (some, not all) are also driven by altruism – which can and does subjugate that drive to survive. Then there are humans who abuse and destroy themselves and their family – which also goes against the survival drive. (Of course, one could argue that this is just natures way of getting them out of the gene pool. *shudder*)
I did raise my eyebrows at the suggestion that only Judeo-Christian belief sees humans as more valuable. Religions often just reflect the values of a society – or are the gatekeepers of values. Is there a religion that actively puts animal life on the same level or possible above people? One might think of India and the sacred cow as an example of where animals are considered more important than people – but even there, what you see is the fact that for the GROUP to survive, it needs the cattle, NOT more people. So in this case, yes one animal is more important than one person in the survival of the whole, but only because too many people hurts the chances of the survival for the group. Taking that view – it’s still about the group surviving.
I don’t think we’re talking about drives here, at least I’m not. What I think this is about is personal values and holding true to them. And even though I disagree with some others values of holding some animals* lives equal to that of humans, or even more important than humans, I respect that that is their value system and they have a right to it. Just don’t expect me to pretend that I think it’s OK.
Should Micheal Vick be held accountable for harming/torturing dogs through the use of dog-fighting? Certainly. Is the judgment excessive? I think so. If they wanted that much money, at the very least it could have gone to support a number of rescue animals – not just those he was responsible for damaging. Is it disturbing that more people became emotional over the dog-fighting than the human slaughter in Darfur? Yes, it is to me and a number of people. Because of OUR value system(s). And that is the crux of David’s post, IMO. That so much attention and resources were spent on pursuing justice for those 54 dogs (who did deserve justice) and yet our government (and by extension we as a people) do/es not spend it’s attention and resources on bigger injustices.
*only those animals that a cute and/or serve a purpose to people. You don’t see a lot of activist trying to protect wasps or snails or flies.

Charity

posted November 29, 2007 at 9:21 am

And before we get bogged down in how horrible people are, etc.
On Sept. 11, 2001, sixteen knocked down two buildings with thousands of people in them. And hundreds of people rushed in to those same buildings to save them. I’ll take those odds any day. – John Stewart

michael

posted November 29, 2007 at 2:32 pm

most people do not see or know about these thanx to to the fact that we’ve been”desencitized to it. man, where’s beavis&buttdead when ya need em

Bob

posted November 30, 2007 at 5:51 am

People get so upset over the suffering of animals, particularly dogs, because they’re purely innocent creatures, and they have zero say in the choices we make for them.
I know I was one of those people who ended up thinking more about the animals in New Orleans than the people there. Probably because the people chose to live there. The people who ran the government chose to ignore problems with the levies. People suffer because of their own choices. Animals don’t.
But with that said, the children of Darfur are innocent as well, and that’s why, as many here have pointed out, we can’t lose sight of them. We can’t lose sight of any innocent suffering, human or animal.

Charity

posted November 30, 2007 at 1:30 pm

Really? You think they all had a choice? Tell me, for the people who died and suffered during the 2004 tsunami, was that their fault? After all, they choose to live in an area prone to earth-quakes and right by the ocean. How about those who suffered from the droughts in Africa?
Do you think it’s just because they were in the US? See, I don’t see it that way. The poverty in the deep south is very intractable and dug in. For many people, you live in the area/neighborhood you were born in because it is the ONLY social and economic safety net you have. And some of the people who stayed, stayed because they had no way to get out – no transportation, no car. And yes, hind-sight is 20/20. There were people who stayed because they had lived through MANY hurricanes in the area before.
So these people aren’t innocent? What are they guilty of? Trusting that the levies would hold, as they had held before? How would they know they were not in good repair? It’s not like the information was being broadly distributed. Are they guilty of poor judgment in their place of home? Maybe – IF they could have afforded to move. Are they guilty because of the corruption of their government? – If so, then are we ALL not equally guilty?
You found yourself concerned about the plight of the animals in New Orleans – and that’s fine. That is reflective of your values and concerns and that is your right. However, that’s not me nor is it my value system. We disagree. Naturally, I believe my value system is right. Just as you believe yours is right.

TO-07

posted December 1, 2007 at 8:45 am

The questions and the answers have to be in re-orienting these Africans and other poor people that have children in such negative situations, to accept and to create a better society and a better environement for themselves and then, their children. This scene is a stark reality that has been happening now for decade after decade after decade, even after bilions of dollars have been given. It happens in, and to, the same peoples. There must be efforts to change these societies into the kind of caring peoples that exist elsewhere in abundance in many countries throughout the world. It also, has got to start with the MEN of these places. We need to pour our resources into saving these children by changing their parents.

Anonymous

posted December 1, 2007 at 7:32 pm

The difference is that some things are in our power to look after and change (like the situation of those dogs) and some (like Darfur) are unfortunately, not.

Not buying it.

posted December 4, 2007 at 10:44 am

Isn’t it true that human beings are of greater worth than animals?
Nope.
Ask a simple question; get a simple answer.

martin

posted May 6, 2008 at 12:00 pm

your right dude f**k dogs it’s all about humans..there’s no way there kids out here tht look like this when paris hilton has fur coats around her dog..wow

Anonymous

posted May 14, 2008 at 7:24 pm

its so sad! its so depressing

Anonymous

posted May 19, 2008 at 7:55 pm

the reason we are not in darfur is because there is no oil.

kristina

posted May 20, 2008 at 2:20 am

Darfur is a very difficult situation. it is hard to pinpoint who is actually attacking the civilians that live in Southern Sudan. and relations with Sudan are complicated, considering that it is a Muslim based country, and our ties to the middle east are shaky right now. but the United States has historically hesitated to help in times such as this because there is so much international strings it could pull if we went in with our military, and did our own thing. Just as Rwanda had its crisis, and we just watched it happen. the problem is that other countries have their hand in the cookie jar. just as France had its hand in the Rwandan Crisis, China now has their economic and military investments in Sudan. our economic and political relations with China are, of course, a priority to this nation. (i’m definitely not advocating trade over helping human suffering). but if the situation was easy to solve, it would have been solved a couple of years ago.
some politicians are doing something about it, without us directely going in and creating political ripples that may cause detrimental effects. House Rep Maxine Waters has introduced a bill into the house on boycotting the Summer Olympics of 2008, in Beijing, China, on behalf of the Darfur Crisis. the olympics has been looked upon as a symbol for international peace, and the bill urges the US President to boycott the Olympics unless China stops giving Sudan military power, and stops their economic investments with Sudanese government. If china does stop, we may see a turnaround in the darfur crisis, just as if France had not supported Rwanda with manning checkpoints, supplying weapons, and harboring fleeing Hutus. this would not stop groups such as the Janjaweed from attacking southern civilians, but may help with the reduction of refugees needing to find space in neighboring countries like ethiopia.
as for the animal part, we can do something about that. but as for helping the people in Darfur, i’m all with you on that. Paris Hilton should auction off her dog’s fur coat to help with the cause. good luck with the discussion.

bonez

posted May 25, 2008 at 3:24 pm

Omg this is so sad and depressing what can i do to help

Anonymous

posted June 2, 2008 at 9:27 am

thats super duper sad!!!!!!!

Jennifer Bingham-Heart

posted June 13, 2008 at 8:01 pm

I think as Americans we may feel sad even horrified but become parallelized to know how to help. Most people focus on what gets there attention quickly and is reported frequently. Can someone say Tsunami? What can we do for a country that really barely has a central government? Send aid to the U.N., refugees, and such. We as individuals can pray and ask what can I do? Asking God for a way, inspiration or even sending prayers is better than forgetting the forgotten. We can send prayers to Darfur and all over the world and at home where people are disenfranchised and and not shown love or even dignity.
Remembering that prayer can heal, give hope and help us move to stop the genocide of all God’s creation. Earth, Cows, and Humans included!
Hugs,
Jen

Scoe 3 Stacks

posted June 14, 2008 at 12:49 am

This makes me incredibly mad, and if I ever get a lead in life as far as currency goes, I will make sure to put an effort to stop things like this. This is ridiculous that these children in Darfur have to suffer like this. Not only there but in many other parts of Africa. Do you understand how much money $17,000 is in Africa… there can’t be a god.

carly

posted June 19, 2008 at 6:46 pm

oh my gosh!!!! if there is anyway i can help email me!!! if there is a website that you can donait food or money to hospitals or for food email me and tell me because i have heard all about this and is has gotten worse and we all need to help! we need to all put money into things like hospitals so they can care for these kind of kids and grown ups! we need to help!!

PKBooo

posted June 25, 2008 at 6:40 am

Hey, it looks like a lot of posters are interested in helping the cause in Darfur, and that’s great! My English teacher was very active in teaching about how we can help situations like this, and showed us places where we can learn how to help out. One of the sites he showed us was http://www.savedarfur.org. It’s a great place that educates you about the issue, provides ways to help, and shows you how to raise awareness of the cause. Every little bit helps!

Adrian

posted July 31, 2008 at 7:40 am

What can we do to help?

cassini

posted July 31, 2008 at 11:50 pm

It angers and frustrates me that more Christians don’t acknowledge the horrors currently happening in Darfur, but treat their pet issues — abortion, homosexuality, bills passed in Congress — with the disdain that should be reserved for the atrocities happening Darfur.
The answer to the comments asking what can we do to is simple: tell people; be angry and let your indignation be heard by those closest to you.

Joseh Ososkie

posted August 20, 2008 at 9:34 pm

For what its worth i think God gave us pet animals to practice reacting with compassion and empathy, indignation. Contributing to PETA is ok… if you are 6 years old or an emotionally stunted adult. But if we are to develop our God given potential, then embracing/looking for solutions to Darfur is where we need to be.

desiree

posted August 20, 2008 at 9:49 pm

Wow. Emotionally stunted? Can’t one care for all living beings. Are we to set certain atrocities aside in order to develop our “God given potential”? Seems to me a person that has developed any potential can give attention where it is needed, without limitations. Sorry Joseh, ignorance is not a virtue…

beth chandler

posted October 4, 2008 at 11:39 pm

I CAN NOT UNDERSTAND WHY ALL THINGS IN THE U.S. HAVE TO BE BLACK OR WHITE. SO WHAT IF HE WAS COURT ORDERED TO PAY FOR THE ANIMALS HE SO CARELESSLY ABUSED! THAT WAS JUSTIFIED! WHY ARE WE ALL LOOKING AT SOMEONE ELSE TO RIGHT THE WRONGS OF OTHERS? WHATEVER HAPPENED TO COMPASSION FOR ALL MAN KIND? THE WORLD NEEDS TO WORK AS A TEAM TO ENCOURAGE LESS POVERTY AND WELL BEING OF ALL LIVING THINGS. HOW CAN THIS EVER HAPPEN WHEN AMERICA IS SO BUSY FIGHTING EACH OTHER IN SO MANY ASPECTS OF LIFE AND LAW? WE BLAME OUR GOVERNMENT FOR ALL OUR PROBLEMS AND BEHAVOIR…BUT…JUST THINK ABOUT IT..HOW DID THEY GET ELECTED IN THE FIRST PLACE? WE ALL NEED TO LOOK IN THE MIRROR AND TAKE INDIVIDUAL BLAME FOR WHAT IS GOING ON. WE PUT THESE PEOPLE IN CONTROL OF OUR LIVES. WE, AS A NATION ALLOWED THIS TO HAPPEN. ALL WE CAN DO NOW IS TRY TO DO BETTER NEXT TIME. HOW CRAZY IS IT THAT EDUCATED PEOPLE ARE THINKING ABOUT VOTING FOR MCAIN JUST BECAUSE PALIN IS A WOMAN? SO MANY ARE ANGRY AT OBAMA BECAUSE HE DID NOT CHOOSE CLINTON AS A RUNNING MATE. WELL, I WAS A LITTLE MIFFED TOO. BUT I WILL NOT SHOOT MYSELF IN THE FOOT AND VOTE FOR MCAIN. THE ONLY PERSON I WILL HURT IS MYSELF. WE ARE NOT PUNISHING OBAMA FOR HIS MISTAKE..WE WILL BE PUNISHING OURSELVES! I THOUGHT THE CITIZENS OF THE UNITED STATES WERE MORE INTELLIGENT THAN THAT.

Nyx

posted October 13, 2008 at 6:12 pm

Why are you comparing the lives as humans more valuable than those of canines? Life is Life… All valuable in their own right. No species should be made to suffer at the hand of another. The dogs in the Vick case have received their justice. The people of Darfur will too.

abigail

posted October 20, 2008 at 8:15 am

waooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo omg

veronica

posted October 20, 2008 at 8:17 am

omg this is soo sad im like pissedd off

Scarlett

posted November 5, 2008 at 11:27 pm

Abuse is inhumane in any way, shape, or form. There should be an effort to save any being from any type of harm regardless of any stigmas. I would like to think that we are becoming more educated and involved on this fact, not less….

Ama

posted November 6, 2008 at 5:44 pm

stop the genocide

Prince Kyei

posted November 6, 2008 at 6:04 pm

Truly this world is not my home;I am just a passing through.If you live in a world filled with genocide,wars,rape,defilement,robbery,terrorism,vandalism,barbarism and the like, it cannot be regarded as a home.The people who mastermind genocide are the last to die since they know where to hide for their comfort.They also don’t look skeleton or bony like this innocent God-made child whose angel behold the face of God in Heaven.They have enough food to eat; enough water to drink and a better place to rest their body.
The world cannot stand aside and look while people butcher and kill their fellow human beings as if they are inferior goods.We must all condemn this atrocity of the wicked and make sure that the perpetrators are prosecuted in the court of justice.May we find a lasting and peaceful solutuion to the Darfur genocide so help us God.Amen

georgina

posted November 8, 2008 at 12:44 am

That photo makes me feel physically sick.
Its so injust that lives are valued according to where you live. A life in the US or Australia is apparently worth a lot more than the lives of those living in places like Darfur and Congo… can you even imagine a crisis happening in the first world that resembles anything that african countries have been through?
It wouldnt be allowed to happen, and if it did, it would recieve so much publicity and attention that the world would not allow it to continue.
WHY isnt this the case for Darfur and even Rwanda back in the 90s?
Makes me unbelievably sad.

Lianne

posted November 19, 2008 at 12:42 pm

I truly believe that it isn’t a choice between human beings and animals. Just like us, animals can feel, they have a soul, their own character.
As long as us people have the presumption that we can treat animals as bad as we do, I believe it’s the other way around. We surely aren’t of greater worth than.
Us human beings are gifted to think, rationalize. But even with this gift, we can’t change this world now. Not in this livetime. I hope that the human being once wonders: “did our forefathers really treat animals so bad? I can’t imagine that!” In these days we fortuntely ask this question about the slaves. In ‘those’ days it was normal and fully accepted: slaves didn’t have any rights and were of less worth than there masters!
please, have respect for everything that breathes!

Annamarie

posted November 19, 2008 at 3:52 pm

the photo you have is exploitation of a child. I do care about what is happening there very much, but please don’t exploit a child for what isn’t their fault

trevor

posted December 4, 2008 at 4:01 pm

stand up and fight

just sitting here on the computer????

posted December 14, 2008 at 8:19 pm

i am not going to lie. im sitting here on my laptop looking up the usual myspace and facebook while watching the foxtel. watching my favourite show 7th Heaven and the episode is based around Darfur. i didnt pay much attention untill the end when it said “what are you doing about Darfur?” and showed some pictures. so i looked it up on the internet. only being 18 i dont know much about politics and wars and what they are about, just that i dont like them and that the world is a horrible place. i have had previous thoughts about helping places such as Darfur through the 40 hour famine and such but i really dont know how to get into that. i have so many ideas. an i know there are alot of people who feel as strongly as i do but feel relatively helpless. and yet the most we can do is sit on the computer and rave about how disturbing the pictures are. i think something needs to be done now and if its going to come from an 18 year old girl who hates her family and doesnt eat properly then so be it. but today is the day i put my foot down and since dancing is the only thing i know how to do well then thats how i will go about it. it may take me a while but the least i can do is try. that picture is so powerful it made me cry. so people why are we sitting on our laptops or computers?? lets get out there and stop the maddness.

Jonathan s

posted January 8, 2009 at 5:02 pm

Annamarie, wow. You think the author is blaiming the child? no! He is showing what is going on there, while we live in our rich countries oblivious of the outside world. And you should care, becuase what if that child was your child… or you. It would be horrible. So grow up.

Linda

posted January 30, 2009 at 4:29 pm

To: “Just sitting at your computer”…
You have a heart of gold, and you are only 18! Wow, if more young people like you thought the way you do, the World would be a better place. Dance your heart away, since that is what you do, and do it in the name of “Darfur” ..God will bless you with that, and the energy that you put out into the Universe will be absorbed and one day when you are older, you will be able to Contribute, meanwhile your intentions have been noticed by God, and he is most grateful, and I want to cry just knowing that your heart was touched in that manner.
God Bless you!
Remember that we are always judged by our intentions.

Lauren

posted February 18, 2009 at 6:55 pm

I can’t believe whats happening in Darfur right now…I had to do a report for my 7th grade social studies teacher about this topic… what some people don’t realize that this is going on…its sort of embarssing for those people…this is sooo sad i dont know how to do anything about it…

Lani

posted March 3, 2009 at 9:15 pm

I agree. Its terrible but true that there are more animal shelters than there are homeless shelters for humans.

nicky

posted March 5, 2009 at 2:56 am

This makes all of our western world problems disapate, world money crisis WHO CARES,, These people would give everything just to be safe. I thank God that myself and my children live in a free country, If only everyone cherished human life. I look at this child and in its eyes I see my own sons, how can the world turn its back?

Your Name

posted March 14, 2009 at 6:43 pm

Hello: I live in Latinoamerica and going from webpage to webpage I figured it out this blog.
I´m a poor person and starving but poor… Reading some post and I can believe a friend of mine´s: stupidity has no limits…
its insulting for my inteligence reading this stuffs:´I thank God that myself and my children live in a free country´, ´God will bless you with that, and the energy that you put out into the Universe will be absorbed´, and so on on on… how can you be so naively idiots?
have some respect on this dying child! For God´s sake!!!!
Your stupid lives, thinking that you will never and ver go through it…

carlos

posted March 14, 2009 at 7:03 pm

(Im not starving but Im poor)
Jesus once speeched about the talents that God gave us eac as a gift but with the condition to increasing them and what does it mean ? What we don´t make, what you don´t make at all…
you speak and talk about peace living in a cemetery.
Hypocrite… that´s the sound of your words.
For the guy who manage this blog: every living being deserves from each of us love, caring, tenderness, justice and fight and not those stupid words and if not just shut your mouth.
If you could be able to be at their shoes, at least for one time… this world may be a different place but you reject that chance, then say and make nothing. Im sorry about the way I write and the words but it´s outrageous just to read this.
A big hug and think… and feel like another one.

Kelly

posted April 4, 2009 at 3:33 pm

“Isn’t it true that human beings are of greater worth than animals?”
You are incredibly ignorant. Humans are, themselves, animals. We are all animals. We do not deserve more than any other animal, because we are all equal. Your pathetic idea that “God” created the world to revolve around human beings is sickening and completely naive.

Caiden miller

posted April 20, 2009 at 2:31 pm

its bull crap whats going on and how people semm to only think about the pore animals but not thepeople dieying and suffering everyday

Emily

posted April 22, 2009 at 3:03 am

Have you even read what the author is trying to say? He doesn’t write this with ignorance. And no, we are not at the same level as dogs. God doesn’t have to portray that to us. We portray it to ourselves. We do, in essence survive on this earth because we are the most fully capable of surviving. It’s part of natural law…doesn’t even have to do with religion…at all! What a perfect world it would be if we did treat everything in nature equally? would that necessarily work? I don’t think so. I agree we should treat our own human race equally. There’s no denying that. I also agree that since we have the dominant gene, it is our responsibility to care of the other “animals” less fortunate. Hence, what the author is trying to say. We need to take care of our own nature (human beings) first and foremost. It is an idea above and beyond our reach, but we need to try, for the sake of our existence. And because its the morally right thing to do.

Lindsey

posted May 13, 2009 at 9:28 am

i completly agree with your point in this post. I’m doing a research paragraph on darfur, and it makes me feel like i should be doing something huge to help these people.

Dawn

posted May 21, 2009 at 12:53 am

Truth is the people who care and give are compassionate people and these same people who give and care about Darfur are the same people who give and care about dogs. It’s not the activists and people who speak out for animals you need to reach, they already give to many charities both human and animal combined. It’s the selfish people who don’t give or care about any cause who need compassion. Just think if every person volunteered for human, animals and environmental causes we could save the world. Ever notice it’s the same people who do everything at church, school, community functions? It’s the same way with charities and causes, it’s the same people trying to save the people in Darfur who are trying to save that chained dog down the street. Compassionate people care about many issues.

Matthew

posted May 23, 2009 at 10:09 am

Humans are much more important than other animals. Your idea that god made all animals equal is pathetic!

Gopi

posted May 31, 2009 at 3:55 am

I agree with Dawn. The people who really care about nature care equally about everything and do all possible help. People who care even about dogs, they must be implicitly caring about animals as well. Its not a question of who is important – the human or animals. Every living creature has an equal right of survival and enjoying a better life.

Jesus

posted June 4, 2009 at 1:27 pm

Nah… you are wrong, Dogs and humans are living beings and both deserves respect and love for equal, We are just another specie on this planet so it would be really RETARDED saying that we are better, dogs are loyal, dogs don’t talk B.S about us, don’t criticize us, they love us in a uninterested way, people must to learn something about dogs and that is to be “humble” because at the end of the day we are really cocky, arrogant and we want to take it all for ourselves, we are selfish hypocrites, and we just care about what we “need” to be socially acepted so… think about it. We are just another specie on the planet like birds, cows or something else, we are not the best of the best we destroy our planet! we are like a virus on the earth we destroy ourselves in war, corruption, violence, we eat animals that’s a kind of canibalism because we share the planet with them! Lions and other carnivore species exists for regulate the population that’s how the wise nature does it! an eagle eats a snake that eats a rabbit… we must to learn sooo much about animals so you can’t say “f?ck dogs I just care about people” because people and animals are sons of the earth and dogs and cats and elephants and any specimen on the planet are OUR FAMILY, OUR BROTHERS! But we are sooo stupid and so selfish that we can’t realize about it!

Mark

posted July 5, 2009 at 11:42 pm

Thank you David for raising this important issue.
Those who make the argument that those associated with animal rights and human rights are the same people. My research has found that this is not the case. 60 % of animal rights individuals support the mutilation of an infant with a beating heart (abortion). Tell me, how is it that animal rights groups treat both cases equally when they murder one species and not the other? To me dog fighting is more humane than a person who would support the rights of choice over the right to life. If and when our children, babies and women are free from murder, rape, forced affiliation with armed groups and a black market which drives and feeds most of these war torn countries, I will then begin to speak against animal cruelty of live animals being skinned in China. But until then, there is just to much to speak out about against the injustices affecting a humans basic right to exist.
God bless the children of Darfur, may the volunteers and aid workers be surrounded by an impermiable membrane that shall keep them safe from harm so they may continue to do gods work in a land which god has left. Peace to all.