J Walking

J Walking

Come on Mike…

posted by David Kuo

I decided to tour various candidate websites last night to see what I could see. I even signed up to get a few email updates. When I did that on Mike Huckabee’s site, I was excited to find an option to select issues that interested me, especially since Mike has been vocal about caring for the poor and compassionate conservatism and such. Well, imagine my displeasure when I looked up and down the list and didn’t see anything that matched up to those areas. Take a look for yourself:

PLEASE SELECT ISSUES OF INTEREST
National Security/Foreign Policy: War On Terror
Energy Independence
Crisis Management
Agriculture
Vertical Politics
Veterans’ Bill Of Rights

Nothing on the poor? Nothing on HIV/AIDS in Africa? Nothing on welfare or homelessness? What’s the deal?

Thinker

posted November 16, 2007 at 11:54 am

Edwards is the only one calling us to care for the poor. Obama mentions it, but Edwards is calling us. I hoped for more from others.

Donny

posted November 16, 2007 at 12:07 pm

David,
Healthy, stable and moral marriages (unfortuantely I must add: man-woman) and families made up the way God intended them to be, IS THE WAY to help the poor. In fact, if we reverse our course on the insanity of redefining “marriage and family” as espoused by Secular Humanists and Progressives, “the poor” and the ills they embrace, would just about disappear from “our” country.
Africa is not a state in America. It is its own “continent.” It’s made up of many different “countries.” None of which have the American Constitution guiding them. It’s also a place where Christian missionaries are going to help the poor and the needy. It’s a fact that fifty-percent of the Christians that follow the Gospel do not get divorced, engage in promiscuity and will not get STD’s. Let’s shoot for the WHOLE Church. Repentance is the key. That is consistent with the New Testament witness. With Huckabee, he will not help the Liberal and Progressive Democrats outlaw Christianity with Bills like ENDA and other hate crimes legislation. That, in turn, will be a great help to the “Africans” (and poor Americans), that will get to hear the Gospel AS THEY ARE BEING HELPED by Christian missionaries.

RJohnson

posted November 16, 2007 at 12:13 pm

It would appear that Huckabee is simply yet another politician who uses religion get elected. He is not the first, and will not be the last. Yes, it is disappointing, but as you wrote in your book, David, not unexpected.

Adam S

posted November 16, 2007 at 12:22 pm

Yep, and if everyone becomes a Christian in Africa, then God will miraculously cure everyone that has AIDS. And if all the Christians in the US stay married then the health care problems in the US will be solved. And if a Christian is elected president suddenly a cure for Malaria and Tuberculosis will be given to that President through a direct word from God.
The reality is that we have a responsibility to the poor, whether they live in the US or not. We can debate about what that responsibility means. But we can not debate about the responsibility.

Donny

posted November 16, 2007 at 12:48 pm

AIDS is gone in a very short time if Biblical New Testament morality is used for the epidemic. Unlike Malaria, it is completely avoidable. As to Christians staying married, that would cause a drop in about 99% of their children from entering the criminal courts, and mental health, and drug addiction institutions. The reality is we have a responsibility to far more people than just the poor.

SkipChurch

posted November 16, 2007 at 1:03 pm

Donny wrote: In fact, if we reverse our course on the insanity of redefining “marriage and family” as espoused by Secular Humanists and Progressives, “the poor” and the ills they embrace, would just about disappear from “our” country.
***
Let’s pass over the perplexing use of scare quotes. That must be just some sort of authorial tic.
The idea that you can eliminate poverty by defining things differently is just bizarre.If only it were that easy. Society has been confronting poverty for thousands of years, and how marriage and family is defined has very little to do with it. The subsistence-level poverty which confronted most peasants throughout the ages has not been caused by some problem with how marriage and family was defined.
I think what Donny is trying to say is that it would be better for the poor to be in stable, traditional relationships. Well, that’s true as far as it goes. Probably it would be better for the rich as well. Family structure provides a safety net in hard times, both economic hard times and emotional hard times.
But family instability is as much a consequence as a cause of poverty. Poverty is a stress that is distinctly anti-family.
Simplistic one-dimensional solutions will not bring us any closer to reducing poverty, especially when the tone of the solution is to suggest that if the poor would just get married and shut up they’d become middle class by magic.

Donny

posted November 16, 2007 at 1:19 pm

It’s just that morality and fidelity should not be looked on as a hate crime. ONLY the Left sees it that way.

I_Like_Dragyn

posted November 16, 2007 at 1:25 pm

Doug

posted November 16, 2007 at 2:15 pm

watching this race with the good and great turning cowardly and craven, I’m starting to think the modern GOP sucks the Jesus out of Christians.

Nancy Nemecheck

posted November 16, 2007 at 4:45 pm

That is just too coincidental that I was looking at the very same thing on Mike Huckabee’s site last night. I also felt his list of concerns was not complete.
However, check out what Randy Alcorn (author of “Heaven”) has to say about Mike Huckabee. That is why I became interested. I think someone who feels strongly about the unborn will not ignore the poor. Randy’s Website is under Eternal Perspectives Ministries.

Charles Cosimano

posted November 16, 2007 at 6:14 pm

The key to getting elected is to talk about things voters care about. The things on your list are things voters don’t want to be bothered with and will vote against anyone who makes an issue of them because they will be annoyed.

Larry Parker

posted November 16, 2007 at 10:19 pm

Without looking at the site, what was wrong with “faith and politics”?

Donny

posted November 17, 2007 at 12:23 am

“Actually, that is incorrect. The left has no problem with morality nor fidelity. The left has a problem with people saying that everyone except Evangelical Christian White Heterosexuals are incapable of the two.”
David Kuo is Asian-American. And a Christian. T.D. Jakes is an African American and a Christian. The Global South Church, and the Church in China are not made up of white men. The Christian Church started in Palestine by middle eastern men.
The view of Christians being just white guys is bigotry, and of course ignorance. There’s a billion-plus Christians. A fraction of those are white guys.
///

Jillian

posted November 17, 2007 at 3:05 am

I think someone who feels strongly about the unborn will not ignore the poor.
Then again, you’re talking about a Republican politician.

I_Like_Dragyn

posted November 17, 2007 at 4:11 pm

Oh spare me the histrionics, Blanch. You know very well that comment is intended for the fact that the major history on the Christian Church has been Eurocentric. Multicultural Christianity as a major force is very recent in comparison. Fortunately, you are correct on that part and that as more and more people become Christian, what it means to be Christian will grow and evolve into a truly universal force, and not one that is merely based on primitive tribalism and narrow-minded prejudice that who one loves is a bar into getting into heaven.

Donny

posted November 18, 2007 at 8:57 am

I_Like_Dragon,
Sorry pal, you can’t just discard facts by smugness. (Though I admit to falling prey to it a lot.) “The history of the Church” has no ethnic color it is painted in other than Jew/Israelite. Read the New Testament. Blame whatever atrocitites that EUROPEAN men and women have inflicted on NON-EUROPEN men and women since EUROPEANS started branching out of their little clandoms and conquering other people’s all over the world. Christianity has STOPPED the genocidal nature of Europeans time and time again. That’s another fact. The Leftist dribble about what “Christians” have done to indigenous people’s around the globe is Marxist amd Humanist derived secular propaganda. Secularism has slaughtered more people in a month than anything Christians have been blamed for. Yeah, yeah, I heard it in school too about the bad missionaries, and once I started reading books without being told what to see in them to get a passing grade, I started seeing a different world. A lot of Americans that literally invented the United States were of European white descent. OK. Blame the nature of American expansionism on the nature of European peoples. Christianity is not a European “religion” whether you want to pretend it is or not. It is “Messianic Judaism” in absolute reality. No matter the common fashion of today is to deny that. What has happened to our (supposed) educated masses is that they are only educated so far as to pass tests and get a degree in whatever subject they desire to get paid in. “What it means to be Christian” does not go through an evolutionary process. Knowledge must be gained, but a “new creature” in Christ must look like the original. That is another fact. A person becoming a Christian goes through and grows through the knowledge process of what it means to be a Christian from the beginning. You, have it backwards, er, so to speak. When a person becomes a Christian, they are going back to the Cross of Christ and the teachings of the Apostles. That has always been the steps in becoming a Christian. You discard the influences of wrong history and embrace the truth of facts of the faith. There are enough Wilberforce’s out there to prove what it means to become a Christian. A Progressive Christian goes back to the original Church and back to the oroiginal Gospel. Europeans are no different.

Donny

posted November 18, 2007 at 9:14 am

A clarification!!!!!!!!!!! “Cuz you lefties love to nail people in the sound bite. . .
“Sorry pal, you can’t just discard facts by smugness. (Though I admit to falling prey to it a lot.)”
SMUGNESS that is. MY FACTS stand on truth.
My smugness dwells in my human nature and repentance.
Please David, don’t edit this out.

Bill

posted November 18, 2007 at 4:55 pm

Donny,
Christianity is not “Messianic Judiam” or any other Judaism. We do NOT believe that G-d knocks up men’s wives. Nor do we believe in original sin or vicarious atonement. Our scriptures are in Hebrew, not Greek. We also reject the ritual cannibalism practiced by the vast majority of Christians.

LJ

posted February 13, 2008 at 1:47 am

When one rejects the original sin and the atonement of Christ,they are still sinners. Natural rehetoric is just that. Christ is the answer. The church is floundering in serving Caesar,rather than God. They wants the goverment to pass laws to stop sinners from sinning. The Great Commission was a charge to the church. Caesar can not help the church fulfill their duties.