J Walking

J Walking

Regarding Comments – Important

posted by David Kuo

I need to make something VERY clear here. I DO NOT endorse what anyone writes in the comments section.
Everyone should think of that section as a separate discussion room where people gather to talk. It is, mostly, an unmoderated room because I believe – and Beliefnet believes- in the conversation about things of faith (or things of Apple or whatever).
There are those who post incendiary remarks. Please feel free to ignore them and please know and understand that they do not represent my views…my views will always carry my name.
My blog is one dedicated to a journey – a journey with Jesus that is, for me, tortuous and beautiful, peaceful and disturbing, joyful and sorrowful, challenging and comforting (and so many more things). How people care to comment on that journey is up to them. But please know that there is no obligation to read the comments section.
Now, for those who post with much anger and hate – please stop and be kind. You do, after all, call yourselves Christians and I’m guessing you don’t want to sully the name of Jesus.

Donny

posted June 29, 2007 at 12:12 pm

“Test all things and hold firmly onto the truth.”
I have, and that is why I have the opinion of Liberalism and Progressive ideology and the Democrat political agenda as being so bad.
Excuse me, I meant evil. Like I said, I’ve tested it.

Thinker

posted June 29, 2007 at 12:23 pm

Goodness, that was quick.
Let us recall that the word Satan means “the accusor”. My experience is that the ones who accuse have huge anger issues that simmer and boil over. Everyone knows that their anger and hatred of others is their primary motivation. One last time – being Republican or conservative does not guarantee a Christian heart any more than being a Democrat or Progressive. The way of being that we call Christian is about genuine humility, love of neighbor and enemy and a relationship with Jesus that changes our anger into love. Satanic energy is filled with accusation – calling people bad or evil – well – it goes against the Gospel. I think Mr. Rogers – Fred of the sweater and puppet fame – was the first one to cause me to look at my own simmering angers. He’s with God now, but his spirit is one that I try to imitate in my walk with Christ. Only occasionally can I touch the level of love that he exhibited to all he met. Will keep trying though

l'etranger

posted June 29, 2007 at 12:27 pm

Thinker – great insights thanks
Mr Rogers? – I’m a non-native so please elucidate. Gentle old guy on PBS kids programs?

Thinker

posted June 29, 2007 at 12:34 pm

Yes,a he was the gentle ol guy on PBS. He was also a Presbyterian minister, a man of prayer and non violence and his very presence could people aware of their statusi as a child of God that they longed to be.
I might suggest Tim Madigan’s book – “I’m Proud of You.” as an introduction into the gentle spirituality that Fred Rogers lived.

l'etranger

posted June 29, 2007 at 12:36 pm

Thinker – thanks I’ll check it out

Donny

posted June 30, 2007 at 12:32 am

Thinker,
How do you warn someone of impeding danger? Give them a hug? That does not work against those that are looking for victims.
Satan means Adversary. Ha Satan. The Adversary.
You can test Liberal and Progressive doctrnes “if you are a Christian” by the words of the New Testament. Conservatives also.
Conservative ideology passes the testing time and time again, whereas the Liberal and Progressive agenda fails time and time again.
In fact, other than war in certain Liberal presentations, I have yet to see how a Liberal or Progressive has the backing to see their efforts on anything else, as anything that would be supported by the Gospel or the NT letters.
What they have done “to” the poor is anything but Christian, so scratch that one off their list. They are left with war not being a Christian endeavor. Which is a correct position according to the Gospel and the opinions of the Apostles on the Gospel. Does that mean we set up abortion mills, tax the family into poverty, implement Marxism as our governmental structure? Not accrding to the Christian witness in the New Testament and in non-Biblical history.
Even a broken clock is right twice a day. Liberalism doesn’t even make that grade when compared to the Biblical record.

Donny

posted June 30, 2007 at 12:35 am

Thinker,
Email me if you wish, and please show me how you can call someone a liar nicely and politely.
Ever watched two opposing lawyers in court?
donnyresponse@yahoo.com

Thinker

posted June 30, 2007 at 1:39 am

Donny – I believe you have been called such very nicely and politely. To divorce the accusation from a feeling of hatred and from a simmering anger usuaally workds quite well. I dont’s believe whaat you said is true at leaast according to such and such. Perhaps you’d like to go over your conclusions again based on this new information. Something along those lines. My issues with your words is that they set us up to hate one another and thaat alwaays ends badly. Somdbody is expelled, or hurt and in some places killed by this game you play. Try seeing people in terms of their God given humanity instead of what you think their politics say about them. That might work too. Stereotypes just don’t work well – true on the surface, absolute lies in reality. My sleeping pill is kicking in here, so I better not say anymore.

Zero-Equals-Infinity

posted June 30, 2007 at 8:20 am

When Christians show humility and love their neighbours as themselves, they are a beacon.
When they snarl and attack and equate things of Caesar with things of God, they surround such light as they have with a briar of poisonous thorns.
What non-Christian will dig through that briar rather than be repelled by it?
And what of Christians who see the briar and know that many will not know their faith because of it?
The irony of course is that the Christian in the briar does not see himself as others do. Then (s)he would be faced with the need to burn down the briar patch to allow the light to shine clearly. (This is also true of people of other faiths and none. If they wish the light to shine through them and enlighten, there is a need to burn their briars.)

steph

posted June 30, 2007 at 9:22 am

probably the main reason I could never be a Christian: they all seem to hate each other so much.

Bitner

posted July 2, 2007 at 2:58 pm

“There are two kinds of light – the glow that illuminates, and the glare that obscures.” — James Thurber, American Writer, 1894-1961
Shouting, accusations, and hate have NEVER won anyone over to one’s side of an argument. Talking with someone is leagues better than talking at them. But some people cannot see the difference between the light that illuminates, and the glare that obscures.