J Walking

J Walking

Christians and Ann Coulter, Part 2

posted by David Kuo

Several readers point out that Ms. Coulter’s words about Sen. Edwards were taken out of context. She did not say that she was actively wishing he would be killed but that, to avoid problems in the future, she should say it would be good if he had been killed in much the same way that Bill Maher said of Vice President Cheney. Here is her exact quote:

But about the same time, you know, Bill Maher was not joking and saying he wished Dick Cheney had been killed in a terrorist attack. So I’ve learned my lesson. If I’m gonna say anything about John Edwards in the future, I’ll just wish he had been killed in a terrorist assassination plot.

I was actually sitting across from Bill Maher when he went off talking about the Vice President. Maher didn’t actually say what Coulter said he said. There’s no need for further tail chasing here. Both of them were wrong. Enough said.
This does not, however, change my basic point – conservative Christian activists need to publicly distance themselves from her for the sake of the Gospel. Too many people in this world look at Ann Coulter and listen to what she says and think, “Ah yes, this is what Christians do.” That is not, of course, true. What most Christians do is to love God and their family and their neighbors. But so long as the conservative Christian activists are in bed (metaphorically speaking) with Ms. Coulter it sends a very different message.
More of them need to follow the example of people like Dr. Al Mohler who has denounced her. Good for him and thanks to a reader for pointing that out to me.

Donny

posted June 28, 2007 at 1:25 pm

Umm, are we ever going to hear “anyone” talk about the filth of Bill Maher? Or how about the debauchery promoted by HBO?
Maher (and HBO) represents EVERY Liberal, Progressive, Democrat and non and anti-Christian (redundant when mentioning Libs, Progs and Dems I know) in the westsern world if, Mzzzzz. Coulter is repping the Church.
Can I get a witness????
Like YOU David Kuo, since you have been front and center to the F-word spouting Maher himself as he waxed disgustingly.
Just a bit of justice OK.

David Kuo

posted June 28, 2007 at 1:35 pm

Donny – Because Bill Maher does not claim to be a Christian and because Christians are not lining up behind him and proclaiming him to be one of them thereby giving the impression that to be like him is to be like Jesus. Spiritual destruction is far more dangerous than any physical destruction that anyone could face on this earth. Make sense? Blessings, David

Donny

posted June 28, 2007 at 1:53 pm

I’m just making the claim that “if” Coulter represents Christians then Bill Maher reps the immense group of his associates in the Democrat and Liberal/Progressive world.
There are many dangerous things that people like Bill Maher puts into action. Physical and spiritually dangerous things. I’ve worked with troubled youth for two-decades, They are screwed up (and some are dead) because they are following Bill Maher’s style of ideolgy.
Blog on his kind of evil for a change David.
Take a fast from beating up conservatives.
(I’m gone for the day.)

Shannon

posted June 28, 2007 at 3:54 pm

David, I can’t recall anytime when Coulter has talked about the salvation or her beliefs that would make me think she has a personal faith in Jesus Christ.
I think there are Christians who are so desperate for approval of their faith that they will find it in anything. They are the same people who are convinced (even though the lyrics and musicians themselves have said the contrary) that rock bands like Creed and Evanescence are Christian worship bands.
If Jesus ever stated that the “world” will approve/love/high-five us because of our faith, let me know the verse.
I am intriged as to why Donny keeps wanting to visit this blog and post if it offends him so much. I am sure that there are thousands of blogs that state things I abhor but I can’t name one because I don’t GO OUT TO LOOK FOR THEM!
I don’t agree 100% with David but I like how he thinks as a fellow Christian. I actually regulary watch Real Time and I disagree with A LOT of what Bill Maher says but I like how he thinks, too. I have noticed a difference in him over the last few months. I think Maher is trying to “get” God more than he wants to admit.

Doug

posted June 28, 2007 at 3:59 pm

How about this, Donny? Bill Maher does not represent anyone on the left but himself. Ann Coulter does not represent anyone on the right but herself. Christian conservatives don’t represent Jesus and atheists can’t speak for Australopithecus Afarensis. And none but God judge any of us. Fair enough?
That said, if you repeat the kind of bilious nonsense that somepay Ann Coulter to whisper in their ears, I reserve the right not to give a widow’s mite what your opinion may be. I’m dumb enough already without listening to the whines and whispers of elective fools who are found on both sides of the aisle in similar majority.

kauko15

posted June 28, 2007 at 5:42 pm

“Why beat up on Coulter when her actions have not given anyone an STD, encouraged a child to take up sodomy, or killed an inconvenient unborn person. Maher and his ilk, on the other hand, have done all of the above.”
Wow, your ignorance is astounding.

David Kuo

posted June 28, 2007 at 6:34 pm

re: Coulter – here is an excerpt of an interview she gave to World Magazine:
Q: What are your religious views?
A: Christian, or as People magazine put it, “devout Christian.” (In liberal code this evidently means I actually believe in God.)
World Magazine
October 5, 2002
10 questions with a Top 10: Ann Coulter
BYLINE: Chris Stamper
SECTION: CULTURAL; Vol. 17, No. 38
LENGTH: 674 words

Kathy

posted June 28, 2007 at 9:52 pm

Ann Coulter was just mimmicking Bill Maher’s comment in reference to Vice President Cheney. The article makes it sound like Ann was the one to originate the comment and no mention of how the comment came about. Again the media demonstrated how they do not cover the whole story and give misinformation to the people. I was surprised to find this in the beliefnet though.

jan

posted June 28, 2007 at 10:47 pm

It was wrong for Bill Maher to make refrences to Cheney being killed. Most liberals I know did not appreciate his comments. A persons life is much more precious than any political opinion. Ann Coulter is not representing the christian values that are taught in the bible. She is mean and hateful about peoples personal lives and losses. Her comments remind me of middle school brats. Why does she feel she should attack John Edwards because of what Bill Maher said. If she must get revenge attack Bill Maher.

Drina

posted June 28, 2007 at 10:52 pm

Then why do Protestant Fundamentalists sing her praises?

c kitty

posted June 29, 2007 at 12:23 am

Drina,
Why do Protestants sing Ms Coulter’s praises? Because they are so blinded in their hatred of anything “left” that they will throw in with whoever seems to also be an enemy of the left, even ill-tempered souls like Ms Coulter.

Donny

posted June 29, 2007 at 8:24 am

kauko15,
“Ignorant?”
I have literally spent thousands and thousands of hours working with the youth shattered and broken from following Liberal and Progressive ways. The “do as thou wilt . . .” way of life.
Ann Coulter is just calling it like it is. I reprobate like Maher spit vitriol and epithet with ease and those on the Left giggle along.
Visit ANY, REPEAT: “ANY” Juvenile Hall, Mental Health Facility or walk the streets of the city, suburbs and rural towns and LOOK, actually LOOK at the broken and ruined young people there. They came from broken and ruined families and most came from no family at all. Just one woman trying to raise some guy’s baby. That baby being them. It’s far past time for Christians to contend for the faith and wipe away Liberal/Progresive ideology from the Church body. It is evil without doubt.
I post the way I do on this blog and over at “God’s Politics” because “Christians,” are supposed to be willing to warn people of impending danger. Liberal and, Progressive ideolgy and the Democrat party platform absolutely promotes evil (when compared to what the Gospel and the Apsotles present) and holds to that ideology that is really killing and hurting people. I “see” and feel it every day I work with the youth of this country.
The ignorant are those that think supporting “doing what thou wilt,” is somehow a good thing to promote. Go to a morgue, or travel with a social worker or policeman and see what “Liberalism/Progressiveism” really does to human beings. It may be fine for the rich and the elite, but mainly because they only talk it and do not embrace the lifestyle too much. How many millionairs want to have sex with a crack addict? Not many I’ll wager a bet. I’ve seen them drive by “the less fortunate” on their way to Westwood.
“Christians” speak out “and do something about” the suffering of others. That is why I constantly point people to the suffering caused by Liberalism, Progressive ideology and the Democrat Party agenda that literally implements chaos and evil on society.
I wish Ann Coulter and her conservative counter parts like Sean Hannity, would NEVER use hyperbole and over-the-top analogy, because she and their conservative message presented in a calm and rational manner, will save the lives of millions and millions of people. Honesty certainly is not deadly.
That is a fact that you will not test. It also seems that the “hide your head in the sand” behavior is also comes with embracing Liberal and Progressive ways. Another test is is trying to find ANY New Testament support for anything Liberal and Prgesissive ideological wise, other than war not being a Christian endeavor. But it seems strange that Liberals and Prgressives decry war and violence but promote the slaughter of the unborn without mercy. And BS if they do not wish abortion to be legal. They promote sodomy to chldren in the trickery of selling diversity in our public schools. They support Marxist totalitarianism in the (dis) guise of taxes.
Bill Maher represents EVERYTHING on The Left. But most Leftists wish he would be quiet about it until they are in complete political power.
Not one person here at Beliefnet has EVER presented New Testament scripture to show my position is in error. Why? Because I use the New Testament the way the Apostles present it to be used. That is to say, I use it as a Christian should use it.
“Godless,” that is what Mzzzzz. Coulter says about Liberalism. She is wrong. It follows a god alright, it is just not the one written about in the pages of a Bible. Molech and Baal have nothing to do with the “faith delivered only once to the saints.”
I’m willing to be tested on that. My email is donnyresonse@yahoo.com

Kathy

posted June 29, 2007 at 8:58 am

Ann Coulter can be rough in her approach to subjects but with this she gets the attention that is needed. She says what most want to. If the approach is subtle no one reads or hears about the subject she is taking on. We need people like her to open the eyes of many who are a sleep to what is really happening in this world. Unfortunately most Americans are ignorant to the complexity of the world and chose to live with their heads in the sand. The politicans love this and use this to their benefit. Who are we to say that God did not give her this gift to WAKE AMERICA UP?

Hugh (Bart) Vincelette

posted June 29, 2007 at 9:05 am

The defining moments for unfettered , heartless , and compassionless conservatism in the 20th century came twice . The first time was during the 1930’s in pre-war Germany , with the rise of the Third Reich and the subsequent slaughter of millions of human beings; including the attemp to exterminate a race of people ; the Jews of Europe. Conservatism has since brought the world such degredations of humanity as apartheid , segregation , and ethnic cleansing. During the early years of the AIDS epidemic, it was conservative Christians who , with hatred and malice-aforethought; vehemently opposed any funding into HIV and the development of treatment options . The subsequent delay in the production of medications denied thousaands even a fighting chance at additional life and thereby enabled the epidemic to decimate the continent of Africa.

Donny

posted June 29, 2007 at 10:05 am

Hugh (Bart) Vincellette proves that a lie told long enough with a mixture of some historical truth with it, will be believed as also being truth.
Nazi’s were more like Liberal-Socialists (Progressive-Democrats) of today than the are like social conservatives of 2007.
It is conservative Christians that have been going throughout the world for almost two-thousand years trying to help people NOT get diseases like AIDS. Long before the 80’s, Christians were warning of the consequences of sexual promiscuity. That’s a fact of history.
By becoming Christians that do not engage in the kinds of behaviors that get and give a person sexually transmitted disease, disease would not get a foothold on the populace. That is a fact.
It is immorality, selfishness (hedonism), and ignorance that spreads diseases like STD’s. Please note that condoms have little effect on the spread of STD’s. Call your local free clinic for that fact.
So much for liberal hedonsim (Progressive ideology) replacing Christian morality.

Doug

posted June 29, 2007 at 2:40 pm

Donny, I’ll agree, then that if Ann Coulter represents Christians then Bill Maher represents liberals. That’s fair.

Anonymous

posted June 30, 2007 at 8:54 am

Donny

posted July 1, 2007 at 6:44 pm

“Mission work” means hundreds of millions of starving Africans are getting fed. It means hundreds of millions of orphans have a roof over their heads.
“Nevermind the fact that “mission work” is code for “rape and pillaging” in conservative christian circles.”
No wonder this person posted anonymously.
Those are the kinds of idiotic statements that prove my point about the intellectual honesty that dwells within the Liberal mind.