J Walking

J Walking

The Intractable Romney Problem

posted by J-Walking

Today in New Hampshire, Gov. Romney heard this from a restaurant patron:

“I’m one person who will not vote for a Mormon,” Al Michaud of Dover shouted at Romney when the former Massachusetts governor approached him inside Harvey’s Bakery. Romney was kicking off the second of two day’s worth of campaign visits in the lead primary state.

…Michaud later told reporters he was not “a right-winger,” alluding to some evangelical Christians who have compared Romney’s faith to a cult. Instead, Michaud stated he was “a liberal.”

If Gov. Romney ends up running against Sen. Clinton it will be fascinating to see what happens. My guess? More people are scared of a Mormon in the White House than a woman. Perhaps this is what happens when we’ve had candidates and interest groups suggesting that there is, in fact, a religious test for office – namely that only conservative Christians should be elected.

Starrs

posted May 31, 2007 at 11:36 pm

Well, Mr, Michaud only has another five months or so to change his mind. Or have it changed by the campaigns of Hillary or Obama. The latter sure make me take another look at voting for a Mormon.

Lonnie

posted June 1, 2007 at 7:54 am

I am not sure of any of the candidates being a good President. Jimmy carter was a born-again President,but he was not like by many Christians of the republican party. I think that sometimes politics,and belonging to certain polilical party are more important than a candidate. Jerry falwell said that “a strong Pro-war atheist would make a better president,than a weak christian”.

Trish Ryan

posted June 1, 2007 at 5:04 pm

I suspect the concern about Romney is largely about the mystery surrounding Mormonism – specifically his Mormanism. He talks a great deal about what he doesn’t believe (polygamy, etc.) but it’s hard to suss out what he does believe, and what his faith might mean for our country. Those aren’t small questions. At least with a conservative Christian, we know what he/she brings to the table, and can vote for/against it accordingly.

PatientWitness

posted June 1, 2007 at 5:48 pm

“At least with a conservative Christian, we know what he/she brings to the table, and can vote for/against it accordingly.” But, Trish, the problem is that politicans will say anything — Anything — to get elected. Not much has come out of this current administration that could be called conservative, much less Christian. At least Mormons, generally speaking, leave me with the impression that they really do adhere to their core beliefs. Not so with Romney, who was quite liberal, or at least tolerant, while governor, but now professes to be conservative enough to try to win over the fundamentalists in the Republican base. That will cost him the backing of the liberals who might have once voted for him, whereas the prejudices of the fundamentalists will ensure he doesn’t get their vote, either. I think Romney’s backers are comprised primarily of two general groups: those who like his business sense (he has been described as more CEO than politician), and those who would vote for him because they don’t like Giuliana and McCain.

Stephen Davidson

posted June 1, 2007 at 5:54 pm

Just look at what Massachusetts is now.Not forgetting that Mormons believe in all of their truth that all of Christianity was wiped out somehow, before their prophet Joseph Smith was given back the real Christian Church, what Massachuests has become does not give any morally sound person a great deal of confidence in Romney leadership. This man has struck out long before the game of running for president has even really begun.

PatientWitness

posted June 1, 2007 at 6:15 pm

Darya

posted June 1, 2007 at 6:41 pm

The founding fathers had very good reasons for keeping church and state separate. It’s maddening to see “that look” on the faces of people who argue that because The President is a “man of God” that his decisions are always right. The God of Abraham would seem to have several dogs(Muslim, Christian, Jew) in the ongoing fight in the Middle East, all of whom pray dutifully before going off to battle and often die. I don’t hold God accountable for the abysmal leadership of our current government; I’ll pick the person who makes the most sense and seems the most capable of telling us the truth on the way to taking the painful steps needed to correct the disastrous course we are currently on. Oh yes, and God help us all.

Ross

posted June 1, 2007 at 8:01 pm

Who is it who’s saying only conservative Christians should be elected? I haven’t heard anyone who is scared of a Mormon being elected president, but maybe I just hang out with tolerant people or maybe they don’t say it out loud. I don’t know.

canucklehead

posted June 1, 2007 at 8:29 pm

Hi Stephen, Would you please tell us: what are your particular complaints with the way MA is now? PatientWitness | 06.01.07 – 12:20 pmDitto. As a Canadian I keep seeing references on various U.S. blogs suggesting that Mass is Sodom/Gomorrah incarnate. Why? Uphere we see it as the home of the AL East leading BoSox!

Unsympathetic reader

posted June 2, 2007 at 4:17 pm

Stephen Davidson asks about where Massachusetts is now. Hmm… Well Massachusetts has a *black* governor and he is promoting biotech development and realigning two-year colleges with future employment needs. The state has more than its share of high-tier colleges and universities in the nation. I guess I could see how better education and minority legislators would upset some people. Who knows, maybe Patrick will even allow wind farms off the Cape instead of securing behind-the-back veto power for such projects. He’s also keeping Springfield’s recovery moving along. Housing is still expensive, but that’s not a typical indicator of moral decay unless one assumes it was entirely driven by a bunch of gays moving into the area and increasing property values by bringing in better restaurants and improving aesthetics. That could upset some people who don’t like good sushi, French restaurants or movie theaters that show films with subtitles. And contrary to society’s worst fears, gay marriage hasn’t bankrupted the marriages of heterosexuals in the state. It’s gone over with a yawn that few really notice. Oh, it’s now possible to buy beer on Sundays but not in supermarkets. The odd thing about Romney is not that he’s Mormon. Who cares? It’s that he’s running against his former self and the state he managed. Still, he was better than the former Republican governor, Jane Swift. *That* was a pure disaster.

Unsympathetic reader

posted June 2, 2007 at 4:26 pm

MA also has one of the lowest divorce rates in the nation. If you really want to see Sodom and Gomorrah, try Arkansas or Wyoming instead. Just because places appear quiet doesn’t mean nothing is happening. It just means nobody is talking.

K.Bitner

posted June 4, 2007 at 2:47 pm

“If Gov. Romney ends up running against Sen. Clinton it will be fascinating to see what happens. My guess? More people are scared of a Mormon in the White House than a woman.” I’d agree that many people would be more scared of a Mormon than a woman, except THAT woman should scare everyone. “Perhaps this is what happens when we’ve had candidates and interest groups suggesting that there is, in fact, a religious test for office – namely that only conservative Christians should be elected.” I’ve heard this many times, but the ones I hear say it also add the word men to the mix. A religious test is useless, as none of the candidates it going to be honest about what they really believe until they’ve already been elected. They are politicians, not your average, everyday, honest citizens.