J Walking

J Walking

Evangelicals to the Democrats?

posted by J-Walking

Amazing new New York Times poll out today – Evangelicals 42% to Democrats and 41% to Republicans… again, according to this poll. Regardless, these numbers are truly amazing – two years ago evangelicals broke more than 75% for Republicans. Here is the graph.

Jeff

posted November 2, 2006 at 7:09 pm

That’s what happens when a party takes a group for granted and gives its members little more than lip service year after year. I see it as evidence of Republican weakness, not Democratic strength: http://www.antiwarleague.org/_mgxroot/page_10667.html

Van

posted November 2, 2006 at 7:44 pm

I honestly think that he cohesiveness of the Republican Party is serving as a thorn in its side. By that I mean the way that the Republicans move with autonomy on an issue may be causing sort rigidity or a narrow view of the voters, the issues and any vision for our future. The people of the United States are not automatons; they are as diverse in views as the Democratic Party. Maybe the apparent disorganization of the Democratic Party is actually representative of the majority of Americans. I personally think that dissent is good for our country – it provides a vehicle for compromise as well as a diversity of ideas. The Republicans are failing here and perhaps the American people, evangelical or not, are catching on to the fact that they are not being represented in D.C. Just a thought.

s holmgren

posted November 2, 2006 at 8:26 pm

I think part of the reason is that people just don’t want to be lied to, especially by people who are supposed to be so righteous. Sooner or later, when you have to put your trust in someone again, you just don’t want to give it up to a liar. The current administration has been lying in the spotlight for years now and it’s coming home to them.It’s not that other don’t lie, but the Republicans are the ones who have had the limelight.

Tenoch

posted November 2, 2006 at 9:39 pm

Neither major party is sufficient at attracting African American and Latino voters of faith. However, the well-documented intimidation-tactics of the GOP to discourage African American and especially Latino voters speaks loud and clear. I’ll certainly keep this in mind during Nov. 7th and future elections. The GOP is lightyears away from attracting non-white evangelical voters. For starters, they should drop HATE as a core value.

Gary Aknos

posted November 2, 2006 at 9:49 pm

At least as far as Andrew Sullivan is concerned, all Evangelicals are pond scum. Watch the C-SPAN video – it’s unbelievable how monolithic Sullivan thinks Evangelicals are.

Amy

posted November 3, 2006 at 2:26 am

Thank you for writing the book. It’s beautiful. I’m not as young as I used to be, but I can still recognize a fine man. You’re one. Politicians are politicians. Really, how much has America done for our poor in the last 30 years? What have we really given up for the world’s starving people? Many of us are so blessed here in America, and instead of sharing our wealth, we guard it jealously, offering tokens for which we want grand recognition. When politicians win elections by putting up campaign signs that read “Because it’s YOUR money” I’d say it’s time for a little collective soul searching. You’ve provided a starting point for all of us. Again, thank you.

Glenn

posted November 3, 2006 at 4:51 am

Apparently evangelicals are starting to think rather follow the herd. I personally wish we had meaningful campaigns and found something better that the two party system. Is there a way to do government that is not so closely connected to money and grasping and holding on to power? Is there a way to truly focus on the issues and hear from people from a multitude of perspectives? Am I dreaming? Surely, we can do better than this! Loved the book, David! Seems like we are both finding that following God in the way of Jesus (for us) is a narrower path than we had thought. May God bless and keep you.

Drina

posted November 4, 2006 at 4:54 am

I think it’s sad that you find this so shocking.

Debi

posted November 4, 2006 at 12:18 pm

I consider myself an evangelical Christian in the sense that I believe everyone should hear about Jesus and the Gospel. I may tell people what I believe and why I believe it, but I will in no way shape or form try and force it down your throat and tell you that you HAVE to believe it. I believe Jesus will save me. I have faith in that. But I am not God, and only he can save so I will NOT tell you you’re going to hell. Thou shall not judge. I only love others and show them how Jesus has changed me for the better… and how he continues to work miracles in the lives of regular people. I’m no better than anyone for being a Christian, but I do have an eternal peace that I never had before, and also an eternal pain in my heart for people who are oppressed and need help. That being said – I am a democrat, a pretty liberal democrat, in terms of equal rights and the reponsibility of society to take care of each other, but do not let these labels define me. My views on different things vary greatly so pigeon holing anyone does no good. I think alot of these 75% Evangelicals who were voting Republican all these years were one issue voters – Abortion, but they must realize not all democrats are “secular baby killers,” and some of us actually want to see Abortion decreased to the point where it’s only a necessary evil to save the life of a mother. But until we have better and honest sex education stressing BOTH abstinence and condoms, but mostly self-respect and respect for others, and also get rid of the shame surrounding the subject of sex (especially in these religious homes) then people will continue to have sex when they shouldn’t get pregnant, feel ashamed to tell their parents or their partners, and get abortions. It’s all about education, dignity and self-respect.

Paul

posted November 4, 2006 at 1:59 pm

Yea, I kind of agree with Drina above. Evangelicals are very diverse in my opinion. How do I know(?), well I like to speak politics at church and work. Living in a very red state there is more blue in the church than work.